Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airline baggage allowance not allowing separate boot bags

Poster: A snowHead
pandora wrote:
Alright - this has got my soapbox out. Why try to get it all in hand luggage? Why, why why?

Because it saves both time and money.

I have never tried it for a ski holiday (or for any trip lasting more than 2-3 days), but have done it several times on 2-3 day business trips. It means you can check in online and just go straight to security when you arrive at the airport, and at the other end you only have passport control to delay you getting out of the airport.

And as pointed out by Adithorp above, the airlines appear to want us to travel with hand luggage only, regardless of what some of their employees such as you may prefer. Otherwise there would not be that financial incentive to do so.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frightening when a pilot tells us that current common practice is dangerous. Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think many of the things dreamed up by those who work in offices and expect those of us on the aircraft to implement are nuts (including the whole duty free thing.) And I'm not afraid to say it. Which is why it is probably for the best that I work locked in the small box at the front where I can't speak my mind to the people paying my salary! 'The race to the bottom' is what flight and cabin crew are calling it - just because one airline does it doesn't mean we should all do it, whatever the 'it' is. Anyway, I'll put the soapbox away - passengers seem to like the way things are going for the most part (well, except for that chinese doctor!) as they keep coming back for more, and I just fly the things. What do I know??!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can't imagine getting enough clean knickers and my ski gear into my hand luggage so I always book hold luggage which has plenty of room for boots - where's the problem? A ski bag can easily accommodate skis and boots - again, where's the problem? There seem to be a lot of mountains being made out of molehills on this whole luggage issue! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gordyjh, I wear a set of ski clothes to travel and, in my hand luggage I have boots, helmet and a few clean clothes. This means I can ski, without having to buy or hire anything apart from skis, while my lost hold luggage is being found.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pandora, I agree with you in many ways and if an airline said...
"For saftey reasons we prefer you check your luggage in and have as little cabin baggage as possible. We'll give you a free hold allowance and a reasonable rate to increase that. We'll also allow you to take cabin baggage only but for the convienience that gives you (and to discourage too many doing that) we'll charge for it" ...then I'd happily use their service.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My main reason is simply fear of my stuff being lost or nicked. The time advantage is a serious bonus too (plus the financial) but ultimately I don't trust the baggage handlers. Any stuff that goes into hold luggage has to be easily replaceable on holiday - so when it comes to a skiing holiday that does not include my boots. So whether I take hold luggage or not, boots are going in the cabin, and there's very little else that's particularly bulky so it may as well all go into hand for a ski holiday at least.

I've not had anything lost so far, but that's partly because I rarely use hold luggage unless it's unavoidable! I know plenty of people who have had a thoroughly miserable time and in some cases never got their stuff back either. Not only do you have to face the financial, practical and in some cases sentimental cost, but the paperwork involved I just don't have time in my life for! If you can fit it all in an allowed cabin bag and aren't going to be the sort of person who tries to grab everything in an emergency then there's no harm done.

As an aside when we travel as a family non-skiing, most of it does go in the hold - there are six of us, we probably only have two small rucksacks for all six so we free up a lot of locker space for others then - it all balances out!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AlwayzPink, just don't let your mum make you carry all her stuff wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
adithorp wrote:
@AlwayzPink, just don't let your mum make you carry all her stuff wink

Ha!! I wish she would! wink To be fair, she's not that bad when it's just us, but when there are siblings there's the whole "so and so has a smaller bag to drag than me, that's not fair" dangly bits to deal with!

(for the confused - I accidentally posted with the wrong account as I was doing EoSB stuff with her account and swapped the post round!)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hurtle, Don't you feel a bit hot and a bit of a twit wearing your ski trousers? Each to his/her own I suppose but I still think there are a lot of inflated molehills around!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For me the only essentials on a ski trip are:

Passport
Credit card
Insurance
Sense of humour

Anything else is nice but not essential - anything goes missing, you have a credit card and insurance to replace it and the sense of humour to deal with it. It's an inconvenience but no more than that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LEast you didnt get asked to stand don and then get dragged off the plane, pooring with blood.....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gordyjh,
Quote:

Don't you feel a bit hot and a bit of a twit wearing your ski trousers?

No, they're thin, black, more comfortable than jeans and don't look much like ski pants, more like well-fitting walking trousers. I shall shortly be wearing them for preference and comfort on a long car journey. And my system - without the need for unusually bulky or heavy hand luggage - obviates the need to deploy credit card, insurance, sense of humour or time in the event of my main bag going awol. Molehills are not involved.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gordyjh, my well fitted ski boots woulf fall into ghe essential category ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
adithorp wrote:
@pandora, I agree with you in many ways and if an airline said...
"For saftey reasons we prefer you check your luggage in and have as little cabin baggage as possible. We'll give you a free hold allowance and a reasonable rate to increase that. We'll also allow you to take cabin baggage only but for the convienience that gives you (and to discourage too many doing that) we'll charge for it" ...then I'd happily use their service.

Yes exactly. Ideally cabin baggage should just be a very small bag containing what you need for the flight - Book, glasses case, passport, snack etc. But in reality the opposite is true with airlines actively encouraging passengers not to have hold luggage by charging extortionate amounts for a hold bag, sometimes almost as much again as the cost of the flight itself.
ski holidays
@under a new name,
Quote:

my well fitted ski boots woulf fall into ghe essential category .

Mine too. My feet feel sore just thinking about hire boots.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@under a new name,
Quote:

my well fitted ski boots woulf fall into ghe essential category .

Mine too. My feet feel sore just thinking about hire boots.

Mine also. Had a misfortune of the airline losing my hold bag, a horrible experience Indeed.
Luckily my boots arrived with me in my hand luggage & saved the day.
ski holidays
@under a new name, Can you ski with nothing else on your feet or is it just a preference? It's in the rules!
ski holidays
@Gordyjh, if I had to, I have been known to ski with welly boots on my feet. In 1970.

But I would prefer not to.
snow conditions
@under a new name, My point exactly - preference v necessity! We can enjoy ourselves when things aren't perfect, except 1 woman I met about 10 years ago who refused to ski if she could so much as see a cloud in the far distance!
ski holidays
@Gordyjh,
Quote:

We can enjoy ourselves when things aren't perfect
I can't recall anyone saying we couldn't. But if perfection is attainable, one might as well aspire to it.
snow report
On the original topic, it seems like a very grey area if you can check in a separate ski boot bag. Perhaps there should be a sticky thread similar to the airbag rucksack thread to clarify different airline policies?

If I'm taking an airbag rucksack I'll usually take that as hand luggage, and pack my boots. It's not large enough to fit my boots in. And I like to take my helmet with me as I don't want it crushed or dented in the hold.

I fly almost every week for work so taking hand luggage only for 1-3 day trips is almost essential. Arriving late and hanging around in an airport for your bag to appear is horrible when you just want to get to bed. Or the fear of your bag not making a connection and being delayed, which is a major PITA.

For skiing I usually check in skis anyway so it's a moot point. But on the rare occasions I hire, I have managed to take hand luggage including my boots and helmet, but exceeded the weight limit without being 'caught'.

My usual preference is to at least take all needed ski clothing in my hand luggage i.e. wear mid layer top and shell jacket, then pack base layers, shell pants, ski socks, helmet & goggles in my hand luggage. That way if my bag (or skis and boots) are delayed I can at least manage for a day or two on hire skis until it turns up. If they got lost totally I'd miss my Line Bacons, but my boots are nothing special and I wouldn't mind some new ones on the insurance Smile
ski holidays
Good news is we didn't have any issues with 3 hold bags, 2 boot bags and the two pre-booked ski carriage. Whether having the skis made a difference I don't know but she seemed surprised we weren't checking in another hold bag (we are 4).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy