Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airline baggage allowance not allowing separate boot bags

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a ski trip on which we had a bit of an issue with our baggage allowance.

Booked through Skiworld which used Easyjet as its airline.

The booking information said that there was a 20kg allowance for each passenger (from what I could see there was no mention of number of bags). Have been on a number of ski trips in the past and I generally take a 15kg(ish) suitcase plus a 5kg(ish) boot bag, and so long as the total weight is under 20kg then that's always been fine. This year though the airline claimed that we were only allowed 1 hold bag per person and should have booked our boot bags as separate sports equipment. It wasn't helped by the fact that on the way out from Gatwick we had to use Easyjets automated bag check in which was all a bit chaotic.

In the end one of the supervisors allowed the boot bag through (as a "favour").

Is this single hold bag thing just Easyjet or a recent change in policy for all airlines as 2 bags has always been fine in previous years so long as they're within weight?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easyjet have always had a piece policy. Most scheduled airlines do. Boot bags are an anachronism - take them in your hand luggage if necessary.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't think skis are mentioned as specific sports items in EJ FAQ so suspect you just got a numpty. Its worth being au fait with the terms of an airline as I think quite a few people end up as victims of stuff like this.

I've generally been quite happy with EJ and found them reasonable, on my last flight my ski bag was 3.5kg over weight and they didn't say a word.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another one to look out for is the 20/22kg allowance for each passenger

Flying with Monarch from Grenoble - They (the check-in staff) stated we had to have the "spare" capacity for a single passenger ie There were three of us and if we'd all been 2kg under, we wouldn't have been able to take the 5kg boot bag with us (or they would have charged us extra).

Fortunately one of our bags was under weight enough for the boot bag to be added. It was a big faff which could have been done without, especially given the queue behind us

PS Wasn't any issue at Manchester
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skitrack wrote:
Another one to look out for is the 20/22kg allowance for each passenger

Flying with Monarch from Grenoble - They (the check-in staff) stated we had to have the "spare" capacity for a single passenger ie There were three of us and if we'd all been 2kg under, we wouldn't have been able to take the 5kg boot bag with us (or they would have charged us extra).

Fortunately one of our bags was under weight enough for the boot bag to be added. It was a big faff which could have been done without, especially given the queue behind us

PS Wasn't any issue at Manchester

Yes, that's when you have to go through the ridiculous faff of having to repack your bags at check-in, so that 2 of the baqs are at 20kg max weight and the 3rd is 15kg allowing the extra 5kg for the boot bag, holding up the queue with the end result being your group is taking exactly the same weight of luggage on the aircraft! But thems the rules! rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Easyjet explicitly state that luggage allowances can be pooled if you are on the same booking. For my flight next week, it states 2 passengers, 3 items of luggage, allowance 60kg. However, adding a boot bag would be an extra luggage item though I think it's acceptable if you've booked skis. I suggest packing your boots in your hold bag.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you book skis as a sports equipment item on EJ, Swiss or Flybe, that means a ski bag plus a boot bag. If all you have booked is hold luggage, then at least in cattle class that means one bag of up to the maximum weight.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

If you book skis as a sports equipment item on EJ, Swiss or Flybe, that means a ski bag plus a boot bag. If all you have booked is hold luggage, then at least in cattle class that means one bag of up to the maximum weight.

You're probably right, but its quite ambiguous on the EJ website:

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/sports-equipment

The way airline websites are worded its almost as if they are deliberately ambiguous, which seems odd as they could just change the rules if they simply wanted to charge people more!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks to me like skis and boots are included in the 20kg sports allowance.

Don't forget the airline will be paying the handling agent for each item loaded onto the aircraft, so if you just have a 20kg hold bag, it is not unreasonable for the airline to stick to the one bag rule.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
EJ "Skis and boots". Two bags. On arrival, the boots are on the hold luggage carousel, not with the skis. I have travelled with skis + boot bag on EJ quite a few times.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Simples, if you are not travelling with skis, boots go in the suitcase but be aware of how much some suitcases weigh empty, some that I was given, take up a huge amount of the allowance with their own weight but I have seen my case with boots inside weigh in at 17kg.

If you are traveling with skis as I do, boots go in carry on bag laid 69 with clothing packed around and other clothes pack in the ski bag
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you only have a hold bag (ie haven't also paid for sports equipment) it's a single piece limit on Easyjet. In fairness to SkiWorld, this is stated pretty clearly on their website.

Piece limits are fairly common. If the OP has never got caught out on this before then they're lucky. Always worth checking the baggage rules and querying rather than making assumptions.

Personally, I'm surprised people put boot bags through as a separate item, as they're a pretty small but important thing for an airline to lose. Mine always go in my hold bag.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tangowaggon wrote:
Simples, if you are not travelling with skis, boots go in the suitcase but be aware of how much some suitcases weigh empty, some that I was given, take up a huge amount of the allowance with their own weight but I have seen my case with boots inside weigh in at 17kg.

If you are traveling with skis as I do, boots go in carry on bag laid 69 with clothing packed around and other clothes pack in the ski bag

Do you mind if I ask what cabin bag you use pls ?. I was looking for a rucksack to take my Lange boots laid 69 and also fitting within the BA cabin size limit... really struggled to find anything.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Slight hijack but seems vaguely relevant! I'm planning on doing hand luggage only for the EoSB - so just to confirm - Easyjet don't have a weight limit on cabin baggage? I can't find anything that says they do but don't want to get caught out! I'm taking my boots, and as has been mentioned, they're pretty heavy.

Also helmets - I want to take my own but they take up so much space if I'm travelling cabin baggage only. I've seen people with helmets hanging off their cabin baggage - can you get away with it for Easyjet? I'm flying out of Luton if that makes a difference as I know some airports can behave differently at security.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sparklies wrote:
Slight hijack but seems vaguely relevant! I'm planning on doing hand luggage only for the EoSB - so just to confirm - Easyjet don't have a weight limit on cabin baggage? I can't find anything that says they do but don't want to get caught out! I'm taking my boots, and as has been mentioned, they're pretty heavy.

They don't have a weight limit as such, but they do say you should be able to lift it to the overhead lockers.

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/cabin-bag-and-hold-luggage

Quote:

Also helmets - I want to take my own but they take up so much space if I'm travelling cabin baggage only. I've seen people with helmets hanging off their cabin baggage - can you get away with it for Easyjet? I'm flying out of Luton if that makes a difference as I know some airports can behave differently at security.

Try wearing it if necessary.
snow report
@sparklies, no weight limit but I am intrigued as to how you can get everything for a weeks skiing...inc boots...into an easyJet size cabin bag. My bag is exactly easyJet dimensions and once the boots are in i could probably get ski pants and a few other bits in but thats all.
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude,

Easyjets website does in fact mention "skis" (and ski boots for that matter) as sports equipment, under the luggage section of the commonly asked questions part of their website.

Sorry to disagree, but the OP hadn't booked sports equipment so I don't think the member of staff concerned was being a numpty.
latest report
Cheers both!

Lifting it should be fine.. well, unpleasant, but fine!

I actually cheat a bit - last time (and this time) I had/will have a child with me. They get the full baggage allowance but obviously their boots are a LOT smaller. So that gives me that extra space I guess.. although I can't deny it's tight! Lots of stuff shoved inside the boots, and last time we didn't bring the helmets and ended up renting. Obviously I wear the jacket (with stuff shoved into the pockets!!) and I only take the one set of winter boots which I also wear.

I also go for the "up front" thing which gives me another smaller bag to put under the seat in front so times two it's just about doable. Given I'm not likely to be bringing back souvenirs etc with me unlike with a non-skiing holiday, it's all good.

If all six of us (husband plus four kids) are travelling obviously hold baggage is the only way!! I just hate the worry of wondering if the airline has lost it..
latest report
@sparklies,

We've had no problem (on 7 or 8 EJ flights, from Newcastle, Liverpool and Manchester btw) carrying our helmets on as hand luggage (in addition to our hand luggage!) Very Happy
snow report
@Bergmeister, thank you, that's good to hear! I've seen people do it but not been brave enough to try as there's not much you can do once you're at the airport!
ski holidays
sparklies wrote:
@Bergmeister, thank you, that's good to hear! I've seen people do it but not been brave enough to try as there's not much you can do once you're at the airport!

Maybe you could just wear your helmet on your head and tell them you're a member of the "Church of the Flying Yeti" and your ski helmet is obligatory religious headgear? snowHead
latest report
Rusco wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:

Do you mind if I ask what cabin bag you use pls ?. I was looking for a rucksack to take my Lange boots laid 69 and also fitting
within the BA cabin size limit... really struggled to find anything.

I just bought a lightweight canvas cabin bag with handles and a detachable shoulder strap.
ski holidays
I have size 10 feet but there would still be room in my bag for slightly larger boots. I do travel very light, I probably get skis, boots and all my clothing for a ski trip within 20kg
ski holidays
tangowaggon wrote:
Rusco wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:

Do you mind if I ask what cabin bag you use pls ?. I was looking for a rucksack to take my Lange boots laid 69 and also fitting
within the BA cabin size limit... really struggled to find anything.

I just bought a lightweight canvas cabin bag with handles and a detachable shoulder strap.

Thanks.. (sorry for thread hijacking!)
latest report
This thread is getting me worried now. We are flying with going with Esprit, e-tickets state 20kg per person, I have studied every fine print on it and nowhere does it mention how many pieces of baggage that can be.

However our seats are block booked by Esprit on a Flybe scheduled flight. As they are block booked it is stated we can not use the online checkin etc.

This will be our 5th time with Esprit and always before the limit is weight only not bag numbers. We want to take both our boots in their boot bags (we find this more manageable when fitting in the car and handling baggage without a trolley when There are 4 of us).

Do I need to worry?
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
This thread is getting me worried now. We are flying with going with Esprit, e-tickets state 20kg per person, I have studied every fine print on it and nowhere does it mention how many pieces of baggage that can be.

However our seats are block booked by Esprit on a Flybe scheduled flight. As they are block booked it is stated we can not use the online checkin etc.

This will be our 5th time with Esprit and always before the limit is weight only not bag numbers. We want to take both our boots in their boot bags (we find this more manageable when fitting in the car and handling baggage without a trolley when There are 4 of us).

Do I need to worry?

I would email them and get your response "in writing". No ambiguity or he said, she said then.
ski holidays
SlipnSlide wrote:
sparklies wrote:

Maybe you could just wear your helmet on your head and tell them you're a member of the "Church of the Flying Yeti" and your ski helmet is obligatory religious headgear? snowHead

Plan! I dare them to challenge me!!
snow report
Not sure I'd be too keen on sharing breathing space with someone who is managing a weeks skiing out of a carry on bag, including boots. Pheugh! Cough! Cough!Skullie
I have heard of some frugalistas wearing their boots on the flight but never seen it with my own eyes. Now there is a challenge for you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mcspreader wrote:
Not sure I'd be too keen on sharing breathing space with someone who is managing a weeks skiing out of a carry on bag, including boots. Pheugh! Cough! Cough!Skullie
I have heard of some frugalistas wearing their boots on the flight but never seen it with my own eyes. Now there is a challenge for you.

Really? As I managed to pack several changes of thermals and socks, more than enough underwear, spare trousers and a couple of changes of non-skiing clothes along with it all last time, as well as more than adequate toiletries etc and obviously making use of a shower. Judicious use of plastic bags round things too. If that makes me smelly, so be it! It's not like I'd be opening the suitcase on the plane anyway, that would be weird.

I'd not want to wear my boots on the plane as the airport floor would be lethal.
ski holidays
Get one of these, people don't even realise it has ski boots in - its about the size of a normal rucksack and i manage to stuff extra things into the boots - chargers, socks etc...its has a pocket for documents too.

http://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/shop/products/2016-17_Lange_Basic_Duo_Ski_Boot_Bag.htm#

Better pics here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lange-Ski-Boots-bag-Basic/dp/B00Q53EYJE?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
@AthersT, Looks good! One of my main complaints about boot bags is the stupid impractical shape they are - that solves that problem.
latest report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124136#2851444
Unfortunately they seem to have discontinued this model and brought out a slightly more complex/robust design, which is less compact, but might still work. Worth checking out on Amazon - it's potentially such a cheap solution.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:

Do I need to worry?

Based on the Flybe website: yes.

http://flybe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13#gs=eyJndWlkZUlEIjo1NCwicXVlc3Rpb25JRCI6MTQsInJlc3BvbnNlSUQiOjM2LCJndWlkZVNlc3Npb24iOiItQ2t1QVJmbiIsInNlc3Npb25JRCI6Ijg3ZHNBUmZuIn0.
latest report
SlipnSlide wrote:
sparklies wrote:

I usually clip my son's ski helmet to his rucksack. Figure it would be a pretty mean person to question a child bringing a helmet... but there are a lot of jobsworths working in airports.
snow conditions
bambionskiis wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Do I need to worry?

I would email them and get your response "in writing". No ambiguity or he said, she said then.

If you have skis booked on Flybe, you are allowed skis + boot bag. I used to fly Flybe Soton to Geneva before they changed the schedule to two flights a day, too expensive followed by too late.
latest report
tangowaggon wrote:
I have size 10 feet but there would still be room in my bag for slightly larger boots. I do travel very light, I probably get skis, boots and all my clothing for a ski trip within 20kg

Perfectly possible for hold luggage. I used to do that including shovel, probe and helmet. I think I would have had a hard time including ABS gear though - but some do, I think. -
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:
bambionskiis wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Do I need to worry?

If you have skis booked on Flybe, you are allowed skis + boot bag. I used to fly Flybe Soton to Geneva before they changed the schedule to two flights a day, too expensive followed by too late.

We do indeed also have two ski carriage booked as well. Thanks very much.
snow conditions
Alright - this has got my soapbox out. Why try to get it all in hand luggage? Why, why why?

It has been shown time and time again, in real situations, that the more hand luggage people have on a plane, the more likely they are to have it either injure someone or cause them to behave like an idiot in the aftermath of an incident.

In recent times when iPhones mean everything can be videoed and posted to the internet within seconds it is not uncommon, in the case of a plane being evacuated, to see passengers hauling everything with them down the slides as they didn't want to leave their laptop/holiday books and snacks/ski boots/etc behind. It slows down evacuation and leads to increased risk of injury if you are the passenger below the idiot with the bag on the slide. Evacuations happen for all kinds of reasons - sometimes there is a very real risk of death (as in the case of G-VIIO in Las Vegas. I watched this unfold almost live on the TV in the States, in a bar having just hours before carried out a training flight as pilot on one of the other G-VII* series of aircraft. The amount of baggage coming down those slides was unbelievable, and everyone who brought baggage with them thought that their little bit wouldn't hurt as long as everyone else stuck to the rules.) There may be no risk to the plane though, which is even worse IMO - there have been cases of cabin crew or even passenger initiated evacuation when there was no need for it.

In the very unlikely case of a crash (and they do happen, even if very rare) it is not unknown for severe impacts to cause the baggage lockers to open and I imagine most people would be really annoyed to survive a crash and then be injured or even killed by stuff that could easily have gone in the hold dropping on their heads. One of the things from my initial training which has stayed with me very clearly was the footage of the interior of the Kegworth crash aircraft during the rescue of trapped passengers afterwards - people were killed by falling baggage, and many who survived were unable to remove themselves due to injuries sustained from falling bags. Many things were changed after that crash (hence it being used as a training example) including the brace position and the strength of baggage lockers. But those lockers are being loaded more than ever before and it's all so unnecessary!

I appreciate that my opinions (and my ability to act on it if I feel that all the hand luggage cannot be accommodated on a flight I am operating) makes me a jobsworth. And I also appreciate that airlines don't generally make things easy for passengers to figure out what they are allowed to have and where. But putting all your stuff in hand luggage to avoid a fee or just because you can really gets my goat.
snow report
I try and avoid hold luggage for several reasons but the biggest one is that it saves me loads and loads of time wasted queuing to check it in, queuing to get it back, faffing about with trolleys etc. It also avoids the possibility of spending even more time tracing / replacing luggage that has been lost, which has never happened to me to be fair, but I know of others that it has.
The money is also important, especially when the cost of the bag approaches that of the seat. Call me a cheapskate if you like but that's how it is and that's the model that the budget airlines have taken us down.
If there is a structural problem with the lockers then I guess the industry, that like I said has led us down this path, needs to address it. Easyjet and Ryanair are big customers of plane makers and, in europe anyway, were the leaders in the push to charge for hold luggage. Deadlocks on the lockers that are applied remotely from the flightdeck when there is an emergency, or extreme turbulence or whatever might be one solution, illuminated signs to tell you so, just like the toilets. Simple adaptation of car technology I would have thought. Anyone who stays behind trying to retrieve thier luggage then gets what s coming.....
I would say though that some people do take the p**s with the amount of stuff, and the stupid shape of some of it, that they carry on. We still have the issue of duty free too, I would far rather have a 10kg bag fall on me than be drenched with alcohol and then have to walk on broken glass just before exiting a burning plane. I think we all know why duty free is exempt from the hand baggage allowance.
snow report
@pandora, take it up with the budget airlines and CAA. They're actively trying to discourage hold luggage so they can cut handling costs and turn around time, by making the flights cheaper than the hold baggage.
If it's so dangerous then why do pilots/crew not refuse to fly like that? Isn't safety their responsibility?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy