Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets - compulsory from next season?

Poster: A snowHead
@agw, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just as I understand people wanting to wear helmets, I absolutely understand people not wanting to wear helmets. I do not though understand why either side making up and/or repeating rubbish to justify their stance.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@thecramps, what I don't get, putting it simply is how people who are so against helmets believe people who wear them will get worse injuries. Ok so I get the whole skiing faster bit, and to a degree I agree with it however if helmets added no protection or made things worse why would have competitive skiing (xc exluded), motorsports, horse riding etc etc adopted their use.

How many people with a brain between their ears would walk up to a rock or tree or icy slope and head but it voluntarily at speed without protection.......

Surely that's common sense?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Trespass - 'snow expert' !!!!!! Please😂😂😂
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PaulC1984, exactly, that's an example of the rubbish I was referring to. Claiming helmets actually make skiing more dangerous is such obvious bollox it can only be political that otherwise intelligent people preach it.

Live and let live, just don't start whinging when your partner has to feed you and wipe your ar$e.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Couldn't agree with you more, absolutely. Plus my helmet keeps my bloody head warm Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And it's another piece of kit, and as we know from the rules, it's all about the kit Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Someone told me it's a rule there has to be a new helmet thread every week. Can anyone tell me if this is true?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PaulC1984 wrote:
...How many people with a brain between their ears would walk up to a rock or tree or icy slope and head but it voluntarily at speed without protection.......

The word is "butt". Perhaps there's a clue in that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@philwig, damn auto correct:-) but yes you are correct Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PaulC1984 wrote:
How many people with a brain between their ears would walk up to a rock or tree or icy slope and head but it voluntarily at speed without protection.......

Well, no, it's common sense not to head butt it at all. If, as you say, it's "at speed" the outcome is life-changing and roughly the same - dead or being fed via a tube. And I challenge you to head butt a tree at speed and not cause major internal injuries to the unprotected parts of your body. I have no truck with helmets but I do have cynicism for the way they are promoted as the apex safety feature (by the media and by "snow experts" LOL in stores). They are protection, that's all, the safety feature is the skier/boarder themselves. People have roughly the same IQ as the tree they hit.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK

Stop now

S T O P N O W

STOPPPPPPPPPPP NOWWWWWWWW !!!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't see the lift companies wanting to make helmets compulsory, they are out there to make money and I would not be the only one to simply go elsewhere
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Giffordpikes wrote:
@stanton, helmets don't kill people, people kill people. Oh hang on I think that's guns according to the NRA - still I laughed at their statement too
For some reason I now have Goldie Looking Chain running through my head

http://youtube.com/v/pXc8CbSoPsw
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

That's one of the stranger arguments I've seen. I imagine not many people would voluntarily do that whether or not they were wearing a helmet. I'd be more concerned about the safety of someone who would voluntarily do that with a helmet on than I would about someone skiing without a helmet.
snow report
swiftoid wrote:
Quote:

That's one of the stranger arguments I've seen. I imagine not many people would voluntarily do that whether or not they were wearing a helmet. I'd be more concerned about the safety of someone who would voluntarily do that with a helmet on than I would about someone skiing without a helmet.

Which one would hurt more is my point!
ski holidays
Wore a helmet for the first time in my life last week (all week), and I found the whole experience very satisfying. Not only can you not notice that you're wearing it (because they are so light), but it kept my head (and ears in particular) very warm, despite there being a wind chill of -20.
snow conditions
Timberwolf wrote:
I've got a nice shiny one

Been polishing it again?
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
Which one would hurt more is my point!

Interesting point. With a helmet it might hurt less but you might decide not to seek medical attention and then keel over hours later. Without a helmet it'll probably hurt more but you are more likely to seek medical attention and live. Just playing Devil's advocate but that scenario is quite possible.
ski holidays
ski holidays
No Helmets, No Groomers, No Lifts, Telemark.....

http://youtube.com/v/IuK_mykh2qM
latest report
mikeycharlton wrote:
Wore a helmet for the first time in my life last week (all week), and I found the whole experience very satisfying. Not only can you not notice that you're wearing it (because they are so light), but it kept my head (and ears in particular) very warm, despite there being a wind chill of -20.

For me, the experience was very much the opposite, despite my helmet having more vents than any other helmet that I have seen, it was far too hot, even in January, the earpieces are not removable on my helmet so I could not hear what was going on around me and I found it's presence extremely intrusive.

Just had a look at my ski helmet and I've cut two small holes in the earpieces and this feels so much better, I might give it another go this year, the last time I wore it was for about an hour before I had to take it off and put it in my back pack for the rest of the day. how do you stop them itching?, do they itch less if your'e bald? I don't fancy shaving my head just so I can wear a helmet. My motorcycle helmet is not as bad but motorcycling nowhere near as energetic as skiing, recreational motorcycling is only marginally more energetic than sitting on a chair lift. I have ridden motocross bikes around a farm without a helmet and it was far nicer without a helmet but I rode far more cautiously, no standing it on the back wheel at 70mph across the field!
ski holidays
I'm all for freedom of choice on this. But it always amazes me when people insist their kids wear ski (or cycle) helmets but don't bother themselves. On the basis, I suppose that if the family breadwinner has an unlucky knock and sustains a serious injury the kids will be fine... Puzzled
snow conditions
Surely the real question must be.......

If helmet use was made mandatory across all resorts globally (and strictly enforced), are you so anti-helmet that you would stop skiing/boarding?
latest report
or......

If helmet use was banned across all resorts globally (and strictly enforced), are you so pro-helmet that you would stop skiing/boarding? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@tangowaggon, I'd never buy a helmet without removable ear pieces.
latest report
@dode, A different point of view, but since its never going to happen, my point stands Toofy Grin
latest report
PowderAdict wrote:

If helmet use was made mandatory across all resorts globally (and strictly enforced), are you so anti-helmet that you would stop skiing/boarding?

I would sneak up there in the dark so me and my beanie mates could cruise around illegally.

While we are being hypothetical, would be good to have helmeted and non-helmeted segregation of runs with equal number of people allowed on each. Then over time we'd be able to see what the death and serious injury rate was for each.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PowderAdict, but as we've seen repeatedly, helmet enforcement seems to be creeping into more and more insurance policies (regardless of whether there may or may not be positive/negative effect of injury statistics). Assuming that this trend continues, would you pay a premium, or accept lesser coverage for insurance that didn't stipulate helmet usage in its policy?

Simple straw-poles of looking at the numbers seems to show about 90%-95% wearing them... although an oddity I noted was that the higher you got and the worse conditions got, the more non-wearers I seemed noticed... albeit still in the minority.
snow report
mikeycharlton wrote:

That's ok this time of year but I did find mine very hot skiing in March. It's also quite hot and heavy for ski touring I now use a Petzl Meator III which is rated for climbing, cycling and water sports when touring.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@PowderAdict, but as we've seen repeatedly, helmet enforcement seems to be creeping into more and more insurance policies

Did my homework last December and I'm only aware of 2 - Essential Travel and Insureandgo, although the latter's definition is a bit fuzzy referring to safety equipment. So I don't think its creeping in at all.
ski holidays
PowderAdict wrote:

I didn't enjoy skiing while wearing a helmet so, unless there are major improvements to helmets, if I went skiing at all it would only be in January. It was very noticeable that far fewer people were wearing helmets in March compared to Jan / Feb last year
snow report
@OwenM, Ski touring is a different aspect. Firstly you are usually in the middle of nowhere, so massively reduced 2nd party impact risk, and secondly when ascending at walking pace 99.9% of those touring don't wear a helmet for the up, for both heat and very low risk.

@Pruman, I think helmet use might end up falling into a grey area of 'Safety Equipment' for many polices. I agree with the points above 10 years ago an adult in a helmet was quite rare, now a cable car survey shows those without a helmet being quite rare (maybe a survey at a SnowHeads bash would be completely different Very Happy). Insurers might start looking at common practice when assessing claims.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I'm all for freedom of choice on this. But it always amazes me when people insist their kids wear ski (or cycle) helmets but don't bother themselves. On the basis, I suppose that if the family breadwinner has an unlucky knock and sustains a serious injury the kids will be fine... Puzzled

Hmm I never skied with a helmet when my kids did. As children they have softer skulls and are a lot more likely to crash.
Children have to learn that they are treated differently. I didn't give them intoxicating liquor either despite drinking it myself.
latest report
@stanton, no lifts? What's that big lifty looking thing 10 seconds into the film?
snow report
pam w wrote:
But it always amazes me when people insist their kids wear ski (or cycle) helmets but don't bother themselves.

Sending a mixed message to the kids notwithstanding, I can see quite a few good reason. Perhaps because the parent will not jump off ramps and sneak into trees?

After all, I've skied for several decades BEFORE helmet came to the scene, and I'm still alive! We didn't used to sneak into the forest nor were there any ramps and half pipes back when I was a youngster.

I don't feel strongly about wearing helmet when I'm out cycling on bike paths. But I will wear one when I'm mtn biking in close proximity to tree trunks and branches.

I also don't wear helmets when I'm cooking in the kitchen. Unfortunately, that's where I hit my head the most often, on cupboard that my partner (or myself) left open!

There're many ways we could bang our head and have the light turned off for us. It's everyone's choice WHICH of those scenario they wish to wrap their head in a bit of foam to help their chance. My choice may not fit yours, vice versa.
snow report
Quote:

After all, I've skied for several decades BEFORE helmet came to the scene, and I'm still alive!

Yeah, exactly.

Re kids - I'd rather take them to a safe skiing environment without a helmet than an icy, worn, crowded home run with a helmet. Adults put their kids in harm's way all the time in big busy resorts, yet think they are being responsible because they've chucked a lid on them. Likewise with bikes - I cringe when I see kids wobbling along behind parents on a busy road. Ok, they've all got helmets on but I always think the parents are idiots for not selecting a better place to bike.

My kids do wear ski helmets (they like it), so does wife but I don't. It's never been an issue.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

Absolutely.
ski holidays
Quote:

I also don't wear helmets when I'm cooking in the kitchen. Unfortunately, that's where I hit my head the most often, on cupboard that my partner (or myself) left open!

You should wear a helmet while in the kitchen and in fact all the time. The risk is always there of banging your head into something.
latest report
Try & spot a Helmet?

http://youtube.com/v/n-AbPav5E5M
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy