Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets - compulsory from next season?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just been into a Trespass shop (getting some of those hand warmer things) and one of the staff joined a conversation my husband and I were having on helmets.

Without getting into the detail of our discussion (aka disagreement re helmets), we were told by the shop assistant who is their "snow expert" that helmets are going to be compulsory in Europe from next season - REALLY?

1) I find this really hard to believe, and 2) if true I'm surprised I'd not heard about this before now.

Is there any truth in this Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bianchigray wrote:

no
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not that I've heard. Sounds improbable.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sales staff in total bullshiiite shocker
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's what I thought but she was very convincing! I did a Google search and didn't see anything either.

Things people do to try and sell stuff!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On the other hand, I did notice that my son's travel insurance was only valid for helmet wearers. That is compulsion by the back door, I reckon.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At the airport on the way back from holiday I'm missing a decent helmet thread, not had one in a while.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like an EU silly season directive. As mentioned above snow sport insurance maybe a driver. I am sure there would be exclusion policies available like there are for pre existing medical conditions.

But then again if places like Whistler can ban all forms of smoking on their property, for health/legal reasons. I'm sure they could make helmets compulsory if they wanted to (at least enforced when boarding a lift).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bianchigray wrote:

Yes...........................OK maybe not.

But if I have to look like a mushroom when I hit the slopes, everyone else can look like a mushroom as well Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@T Bar, ...this post clearly is an unsubtle part of an international plot by an agent provocateur, designed to encourage all snow heads to tear each other apart over vexed helmet debates - resist! Unite!

As for the original post - as a mips fanatic all I can say is - absolute TOSH
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Valais2 - It was a genuine honest question.

It was the Trespass shop in Darlington, if you call them on 01325 382145 and ask to speak to their "Snow Expert" I'm sure she'll tell you the same cr@p she told me. Such as "they've had to act due to number of accidents" which was part of her argument when I doubted what she was saying.

I asked the question on here as I knew people on here would know instantly if it was true. Especially as there are people living in France/Italy/Austria where it would have made the news, whereas here in UK it wouldn't be as big as a news story - well that was my thinking anyway.

I'm not "an agent provocateur, designed to encourage all snow heads to tear each other apart"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're off to Austria for the first time. Helmets are compulsory there for children.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wotnowalshy wrote:
We're off to Austria for the first time. Helmets are compulsory there for children.

If they are then people don't follow it. I think it might just be Italy. Either way, daft.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bianchigray, I know .... And my post was simply a jest...

The shop assistant is slightly right in that a majority of ski schools now insist that all younsters wear helmets, isome resorts are using local laws to require helmets amongst youth, some state regulations require helmets for the young, and our chalet has a 'no skiing without helmets' rule for all youngsters. But no EU discussion as far as I am aware and I spend some time in the European Parliament.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Pruman, I'm pretty sure it is followed.
Certainly in Land Salzburg it is compulsory for under 14's.
I have never seen a kid up to late teenage not wearing a helmet for the last 5 years or so.
ski holidays
Over the last few weeks I was both surprised and pleased to see several ESF instructors wearing helmets and a piste patroller. My daughters theory is that there is now a generation coming through who have always worn helmets and therefore we will see more and more helmet wearers.
snow report
@flangesax, I saw kids in the Ski Welt without over New Year.
snow report
Can anyone else hear Bruno Mars singing?
snow report
Personally I think if they were banned completely, people would take more care and injury stats for the whole body would go down, accidents in general would go down and head injuries would probably be no higher than with compulsory helmets
ski holidays
@Pruman, Ski Welt is in the Tirol, not Salzburgerland so the local laws may be different, but I doubt it. I had to take our Year 7 (German Gymnasium) every season to the Wildschonau and the last 3 years I did it we had to have ski helmets to comply with local regulations (2004, 2005 and 2006). You may be saw some of the local "webels" or just some dumb kids (or parents with less control of their kids than common sense) considering how concrete hard the pistes were all the swept artificial snow they were skiing on.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:
@Pruman, Ski Welt is in the Tirol, not Salzburgerland

I didn't say it was.

I think the kids I saw might have been Dutch.
ski holidays
@tangowaggon, That sounds like an argument for removing seat belts from cars....... Happy
snow report
Last year in Cortina my brother in law was told off by other skiers for being without helmet.

A cultural thing or regulations, I don't know.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Sales staff in total bullshiiite shocker

... and don't forget to buy a helmet before the price rises...
snow conditions
My view is each to their own, as they have to live with any consequences. I always where a helmet on the mountain, my son wears a helmet full stop. If you don't want to wear a helmet and don't want to put one on your kids, that's your choice, but you alone as that Childs parent has to live tlwith the what ifs should the worst happens. If of course you believe they have no benefit then of course you'll not think what if.
latest report
Rather to my surprise, helmets are not compulsory for children in Tyrol and Vorarlberg but are compulsory in the other Austrian states (with slightly varying age limits). This article (in German) summarises the situation in the various Austrian states. Nowadays it is rather the exception than the rule to see adults without helmets, I would say.
ski holidays
I'm sat in my front room in the UK rubbing the bruise on the back of my head after it came into contact with a very hard icy piste last week - and that was with a helmet on! I remember thinking as I lay partially stunned in the middle of the piste - thank god I decided to wear a helmet. Then the oh my god I'm in the middle of a narrow icy piste lying on my back thought took over and dragged me to my feet!

It's the first time I've fallen on skis for years and since wearing a helmet and the first time I do I bang my head badly. The funny thing is I don't ever remember banging my head in numerous falls before the helmet! Anyway I'll be wearing one whether they are compulsory or not.
snow report
I've got a nice shiny one
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PaulC1984,
If you "wear a helmet on the mountain" and your "son wears a helmet full stop" doesn't he attract some funny looks in Asda? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The mountains of Europe are free to ski on.

If you hike up you have earned your turns.

No one can enforcec Helmets.

Helmets kill people.
ski holidays
@Bianchigray, ...now look what you've done...

It's all kicked off....and snowheads site bogged down in helmet wars...

'Helmets kill people'

Evidence?

Yes, they may affect psychology - invulnerability syndrome - but speeds induced by carving skis probably more influential

Yes, there are more neck injuries amongst youngsters (weight of helmet) but fewer head trauma

Etc etc - 'helmets kill people' is like saying 'the death penalty works' - ie highly controversial statement without any reference to the complexity of the issue or the nature of the evidence eg

http://www.ski-injury.com/prevention/helmet
http://www.aaos.org/CustomTemplates/Content.aspx?id=22321&ssopc=1

And people might be interested in the issue of rotational brain injury - a good literature now available, which supports the development of MIPS.

'Helmets kill people' - grief - walk into an F1 or Sports Car paddock and shout 'HANS kills people' and check out the reaction of the drivers and crew - you'd be lucky to get out of there....
latest report
Of course people can enforce helmets, the same people that enforce the purchase of lift passes because they have spent millions building and running a lift system.

Those people that choose to walk up (I wish I was that fit!) are a different matter. I'm not sure on the rules on piste usage in that case so can't comment.

But it can be enforced and will be enforced - whether that is next year or in 20 years is a different matter. It will come sometime.
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
PaulC1984,
If you "wear a helmet on the mountain" and your "son wears a helmet full stop" doesn't he attract some funny looks in Asda? Toofy Grin

I should have clarified - I dont wear a helmet in a snowdome (unless im doing freestyle or the odd race) as I perceive the risk to be less than on a mountain, which I guess is daft as snowdomes are arguably more dangerous than mountains with the density of new skiers and 4 walls!
ski holidays
Good point valais2, I take part in a sport where HANS devices are being introduced whether you like it or not. I am also in the position of having to replace my perfectly good £400 crash helmet this year because they have changed the compliance rules.

Whether people like them or not my guess is they are going to be compulsory, at least before all the snow melts due to global warming!
latest report
@stanton, helmets don't kill people, people kill people. Oh hang on I think that's guns according to the NRA - still I laughed at their statement too
snow report
stanton wrote:

Helmets kill people.

Why am I thinking Weatherman off Anchorman?
snow report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
stanton wrote:

Helmets kill people.

Why am I thinking Weatherman off Anchorman?

More like Wankerman.

Don't feed the Troll Laughing
snow report
stanton wrote:

Helmets kill people.

You offering to validate that by adding yourself to the statistics wink snowHead snowHead
latest report
@speed098, darwins will get them Happy
latest report
Giffordpikes wrote:
@stanton, helmets don't kill people, people kill people. Oh hang on I think that's guns according to the NRA - still I laughed at their statement too

Mr Eddie Izzard gives the best reply ever to the NRA (some NSFW language) -

http://youtube.com/v/KsN0FCXw914
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy