Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2015/16

Poster: A snowHead
@ukredsox, yeah I agree, a good webcam to watch, two lifts, mid station in terms of snow quality, and some good piste markers to benchmark how much snow has fallen!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chopkins13, You'll be pleased to know they turned the snowmakers off at 10.00.
Following my visit to the snow factory I could go into lots of detail, but basically the whole system (which is actually 3 interconnected) is left on automatic until the chief snowmaker (Chef de Pistes) decides what he wants to do Very Happy
I got the impression the Chef is a bit like a Head Greenskeeper at a very expensive golf club Laughing

The new Gondolas is stop starting - it seems to be struggling with lots of snow Confused

Also, the Grangette is open to the public again - we were told it was only for ESF and the Stadium, probably because it runs quite close to some Chalet windows...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

chief snowmaker (Chef de Pistes)

Brilliant! Just brilliant! What a job title!

Quote:

The new Gondolas is stop starting - it seems to be struggling with lots of snow

Much less brilliant - bit of a design flaw for an €11m ski lift not to like too much snow!!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chopkins13,
Quote:

yeah I agree, a good webcam to watch

First time I've looked at that one (heading out on 23rd). If that group of sumo wrestlers disappears I'll assume a lot of white stuff has fallen!

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chopkins13, They have a track record of 'electrical' teething problems on new lifts, Bergerie needed a new control panel, Becoins panel caught fire, Colosses had an ongoing fuse/breaker problem, Champagny had a control panel problem after its re-furb Arpette had no end of problems, can't remember the excuses at the time ... Years ago the Glacier top station burnt down, once again blame was an electrical fault.

Montalbert the other day was an electric earth fault, caused by the weight of snow on the cable as it weaves its way up over and around the pylons to the top - at one point there is a set of pylons just for the cable, as it crosses one of the ravines. (The power for the lift is at the top.)

If you watch the Bergerie cam ignore the snow on the roof of it as the staff go round banging the covers so it falls off.

there is also the Fornelet cam to watch the top of the Monty Gondola the Adrets lift and Ame 2ooo http://www.trinum.com/ibox/ftpcam/montalbert_fornelet.jpg

also
http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Webcams.htm
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@boredsurfin, at the risk of fuelling a national stereotype, as someone who has owned (and suffered!) a Renault, their perhaps questionable expertise in all things electrical does not surprise me!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chopkins13, yep Laughing Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lovely to see snow on the trees in Montalbert - definite sign its nice and cold.
Visibility don't look too good up top, but the Roche de Mio webcam shows skier up there (first time in days)
Hope you are all having a good time
But be careful out there . . . .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Short and slower day for me today - legs are feeling it after yesterday, and I was out on a different pair of skis that I'm still trying to get to grips with...

Started off by heading up Roche de Mio, and skiing down Sources - nice snow, very quiet, but really poor visibility. Didn't head back up there... Then skied across and down to La Roche, which was a mistake as there were sooooooo many lesson groups around lower down - causing a lot of chaos at bottlenecks. Nice ski over though, visibility was definitely (not surprisingly) better lower down.

I saw the sumo guys too skiing around Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fixx, Montalbert would have been a better bet - lots of largely forgotten reds and blues there, or just have fun on the blue with the goblins and bears.
(is the witch still there by the hut?)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim wrote:
fixx, Montalbert would have been a better bet - lots of largely forgotten reds and blues there, or just have fun on the blue with the goblins and bears.

But you would still have to suffer La Roche to get back Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a couple of photos of La Plagne today which I am trying to post. They are in google photos, can any one tell me how to get them onto here please?

It has snowed lightly most of the day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CaravanSkier, upload them to a site like imgur.com and then post the direct links of the uploaded photos here - in front of the url put [img] and at the end of the url [/img]

or if you use imgur.com they will provide you a link for forums/message boards with those img tags already added.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@CaravanSkier, I use t do as @Minion1980, has suggested, but to be honest it just takes to much time. In the old days anyone could upload photos here. Now only privileged members can do that. I now just add a link to where people can see them on facebook. Takes seconds to add a link for all my photos and very easy for people to open the link without signing into facebook. I hope Admin let's everyone post photos again one day. His forum, his rules, but I do think it would help people understand what we post about conditions and increase his views which gives him more money. Win win for everyone without loads more effort from those of us that post snow condition updates to keep the thread alive. Very Happy
snow report
Imgur allows you to bulk upload the files, it takes no time at all to upload and post say 4 or 5 choice photos here, like I said they even provide the link with tags specific for forums if you are unfamiliar with bbcode. Maybe if you were uploading and posting 20 photos but who actually wants to have 20 photos from one person all in one post? For that then yes a facebook album is great.

I haven't been around here that long but hosting photos costs money on servers, perhaps that is why admin can no longer accomodate that.
snow report
@snowcrazy, @CaravanSkier, If you pay towards costs, by subscription, there is a one button upload feature I believe.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/support_snowHeads.php
snow report
Don't know about google photos but Flickr has a 'share' button that converts a link to BBCode (which most forums are written in)

So this img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7618/17130319432_c856209db7_z.jpg[/img] with a square bracket at the start, comes out like this:

#photo by alexant467, on Flickr

Not my photo btw, just an example.
snow conditions
OK thank you all. So no photos, but as I am about to set out this morning the sun is shining brilliantly over 1800 and it only stopped snowing lightly an hour or so ago. I think today's conditions will be pretty perfect and with the amount of snowfall over the last few days conditions would hopefully remain good for a while whatever snow does or does not fall over the next few days.
snow report
Now there's pretty Very Happy

snow report
Yep. I sent a screenshot very similar to that to some of the guys flying out next sunday
snow report
Soooo... we are hoping to arrive lunchtime-ish on Saturday 30th into Les Coches. Lift pass doesn't start until the day after but the internet tells me that there are some free lifts in resort we can use. This might fill the afternoon nicely! Apparently the Plan Bois is free - is that correct? It seems too good to be true!
ski holidays
Does anyone know if there are any swimming pools in Plagne Centre or any other of the La Plagne villages???

Ta
snow conditions
@bluenatic, http://www.piscine-bellecote.fr/index.php
latest report
The Vancouver in PS has a pool but I'm not sure if it's open to non residents.

What's the pool like in Montchavin? I've not stayed over that side, so I'm not that familiar with the facilities
snow report
Previous pool thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=114322
snow report
Jenniper wrote:
Soooo... we are hoping to arrive lunchtime-ish on Saturday 30th into Les Coches. Lift pass doesn't start until the day after but the internet tells me that there are some free lifts in resort we can use. This might fill the afternoon nicely! Apparently the Plan Bois is free - is that correct? It seems too good to be true!

The Chevrette drag in PV is free but that's not going to be much use for you.

I stay in PS or PV, so it's ideal for me for a few warm up runs if we arrive early enough

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 17-01-16 22:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
swiftoid wrote:
@bluenatic, http://www.piscine-bellecote.fr/index.php

Quality.....Thanks for the pool info. I should be able to get the navette from Cente to Bellecotte easy enough.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jenniper,
Quote:

Plan Bois is not free. The telebuffette (sp?) in Les Coches is free. It's one of those little 3 connected cabin lifts that connects the bottom end with the top (from Plan Bois chairlift to Lac Noir telecabine). You can ski the piste that connects the two. My son did snowboarding down there for a couple of hours last Easter after we arrived Saturday lunchtime.

The swimming pool in Montchavin is a health spa type place. Not cheap.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:

Plan Bois is not free.

Totally expected this to be the case. I think I understand where I might have misunderstood the website. See this from laplagnet.com:

Quote:
Free Passes

If you've just arrived in resort and want to find your feet before buying a lift pass then there are a number of lifts that you can use for free. They are all drag or rope lifts and finish at the top of nursery slopes that are also free of charge and are reserved for beginners and children.

The free lifts are as follows:

Plagne Centre - Telebaby
Plagne Villages - Le Biquet
Plagne Soleil - Le Solü
Aime la Plagne - Aime la Plagne
Plagne 1800 - Praconduit
Belle Plagne - Belle Plagne, Croets
Montchavin - Montchavin, Sucette, Plan Bois
Les Coches - Patinoire, Le Petit Sauget
Champagny - La Bergerie
Montalbert - Montalbert

By Plan Bois in Montchavin are they referring to a smaller, connecting lift of the same name? It would seem the smaller lifts aren't shown on google maps and the names aren't detailed on the piste maps.
ski holidays
That list is a bit misleading, The Montalbert telecabine is certainly not free! Perhaps they mean the Ecole Montalbert drag lift....
ski holidays
Jenniper wrote:
Layne wrote:

Plan Bois is not free.

Totally expected this to be the case. I think I understand where I might have misunderstood the website. See this from laplagnet.com:

Quote:
Free Passes

If you've just arrived in resort and want to find your feet before buying a lift pass then there are a number of lifts that you can use for free. They are all drag or rope lifts and finish at the top of nursery slopes that are also free of charge and are reserved for beginners and children.

The free lifts are as follows:

Plagne Centre - Telebaby
Plagne Villages - Le Biquet
Plagne Soleil - Le Solü
Aime la Plagne - Aime la Plagne
Plagne 1800 - Praconduit
Belle Plagne - Belle Plagne, Croets
Montchavin - Montchavin, Sucette, Plan Bois
Les Coches - Patinoire, Le Petit Sauget
Champagny - La Bergerie
Montalbert - Montalbert

By Plan Bois in Montchavin are they referring to a smaller, connecting lift of the same name? It would seem the smaller lifts aren't shown on google maps and the names aren't detailed on the piste maps.

This map shows the free lifts in Les Coches and Montchavin.

http://www.wakeupinfrance.co.uk/uploads/50aa392ad1673.pdf
latest report
Fab - thanks!
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:

We did actually attempt to make it to Montalbert that day, but failed - that was the second attempt Smile We finally made it on the Saturday though!

So, back at home now, and really missing the skiing. Less than 8 weeks until the SOPiB though, phew!

Anyway - Friday was glorious so we decided to do the run over to Les Arcs. Had lots of fun, really enjoyed the mileage, and the variety of runs and scenery. The overall conclusion from the group though was that we preferred the snow and views on the La Plagne side. My favourite run of the day was the lovely "esselet" through the trees down towards the Vanoise Express - ungroomed red, with deep chopped up snow and fun bumps surrounded by beautiful trees with mountains behind. Glorious! And long enough to really get into it and feel the legs working.

Saturday was a late start while we waited to see if it cleared at all - we finally headed out and straight up the Roche de Mio, then headed down towards Champagny for the first time. Visibility got pretty poor again though, so we headed back over the ridge and decided to make a final attempt to get to Montalbert - 3rd time lucky and we made it! The snow was a bit icy/scaped at the bottom, and didn't spot the goblins and bears, or hear the music others in the group heard earlier - but we were happy to have made it.

So overall I think it's a great area, and we were all very aware that we barely scratched the surface of it. The cruisey motorway runs are great if you want to stretch your legs (who doesn't like a good highspeed blast now and again?!) but I loved what I could see and try of the offpiste too, and the ungroomed runs. I've already checked and found UCPA do a offpiste week with guide, so I may be back for that - I'd love to be out with a guide all week and really explore, but no time left this year unfortunately.

Great holiday overall though, and many thanks for all the advice and tips from everyone snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Montalbert very own Candice Gilg, lovely lass who owns a ski shop in the village

Quote:
CANDICE’S SLOPES : LES SOURCES
Welcome to la Plagne’s new webserial. This season, follow Candice, twice moguls skiing world champion, to discover her favorite slopes and tips.
Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/LaPlagne/videos/10153200059927172/?theater
ski holidays
Hi all! Arriving in La Plagne next Saturday and staying at the new Crystal Chalet Carlina in Bellecote. I can't fing any reviews of it anywhere, does anyone have any impressions or views on it yet?

Thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
It's actually in Belle Plagne, and it seems to be doing quite well!
snow report
Right, I get them mixed up. Not been to the area before.
latest report
Hitting La Plagne sunday afternoon! Smile

Off to bed now
latest report
Hope you have a great time. We are really looking forward to our trip. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy