Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI EGM and Board Nominations

Poster: A snowHead
Damn, rumbled.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rob@rar, Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why is the Alpine Director position vacant ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think everyone who follows the saga and likely to vote knows the answer to the last question.

Nice swerve but I genuinely would not want Rob subject to the same type of challenges and FB frenzy as others. It is a question that other members have raised with me. I'm hoping the answer is similar to the one that was sent to me previously privately. People can lobby for what they want no problem but meanwhile professionally if you are representing an organisation I have always found it wise to respect the generally accepted interpretation of the law and abide by the collective decisions of that organisation.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TTT I agree when do you think that might happen
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
in danger of being serious but it's great to see two guys who are passionate about skiing, coaching and who AREN'T ISTDs putting themselves forwards.

@abd, are you going to do something similar to @rob@rar, along the lines of explaining who you are, why your putting yourself forwards etc etc?

Both of you I can offer a "blog" space for free if you wish, you would need to register a domain name.....( I suspect rob has this sorted but the offer is open to both!)

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks @kitenski, I've been laid up in bed for the last 2 days with a bout of one of the flu bugs doing the rage.

We've all had to submit a load of documents to BASI HQ by Close of Business today, including a full CV and a resume, the latter at least will be published with the EGM papers. I will be happy to put the resume up on here. As at the end of yesterday, there were no other candidates putting themselves forward for Ombudsman, so there's a good chance that I go through uncontested.

Thanks for the offer of the blog, it reminds me that I do actually have my own site(s), that I should update more regularly: bonkersbd.com is the one I've used a bit in the past for logging training / events, but as you'll see, not that frequently or recently! Good reminder, thanks!

Andy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I expect legal issues to run at least until final court decisions are made. EU regulations issues to run until at least regulations are agreed. BASI issues to run as least as long as BASI exists. Snow issues to run as least as long as snow exists.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TTT wrote:
I expect legal issues to run at least until final court decisions are made. EU regulations issues to run until at least regulations are agreed. BASI issues to run as least as long as BASI exists. Snow issues to run as least as long as snow exists.

So the snow issues will be the resolved first NehNeh
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very Happy - yep! It's a group of people with different motivations and agendas so like any group of people they will always be politics. The various groups will then come up with their righteous reasons to support their personal agendas. SB and his supporters, ESF, BASI, the mucky mates organisation and the ISIA and they will join together when it suits even when the agendas amusingly conflict. Amusing the support for an agenda that includes the ability to teach in a foreign language - that rules out all the brit.half term instructors I saw recently then - could not even read a simple Piste sign and exchange simple instructions with a liftie.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think he just passes the gym on the way to hemel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Perhaps there should be an alpine director / representative for L1-L2, ISIA and ISTD levels ?
All of them have different needs, requirements and expectations.
Ski teaching in not a full time career for 90% of BASI members.

Having said that I can imagine it is desirable that the alpine director is ISTD level ?
Will give them much more status if, for example, they are representing BASI in France (for example).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Haggis_Trap, tbh I don't think that it is an imperative for the Alpine Director to be ISTD; s/he needs to be able to properly voice the concerns & needs of the members they represent, most of which as you've already identified are L1&2. The majority of the Alpine membership don't need representing in France (not that that is likely to be the job of the Alpine Director in any event, probably the CEO / trainers director etc).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here you go @stewart woodward, @TTT, and any others that want to ensure that potential directors are complying with the AoA as most people would interpret them, here is a link to a photo of my current licence.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/130297208@N04/22e9G5
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@abd,

Just realised not wished you good luck, though if only you standing might not be needed wink But anyway hope both you and Rob get the positions.
snow report
Thanks @speed098,
snow report
It would be helpful though not essential that anyone negotiating with the french could do it in french. Can any old yokel join BASI?
snow report
As a voting member who is as yet undecided I would like to hear the answer to @TTT's question to @rob@rar at the bottom of page 1 regarding compliance with local legislation, guidelines etc in Europe (and which was subsequently ignored thanks to @skimottaret's diversionary tactics).
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, pm on way nothing diversionary at all but TTT has been very evasive about his own background.
ski holidays
I'm not going to get all forensic here and spend ages finding quotes from the Simon Butler ans Guiding threads but is @TTT (who has stated he intends to vote) the same person who constantly claimed to have no skin in the Instructing game?
latest report
@offpisteskiing, pm sent and I sent you a bunch of information via Facebook... happy reading wink
snow report
TTT is a self confessed liar on here so not surprised she/he changed their position to suit whatever argument they are currently involved in, apparently everyone does it Shocked
snow conditions
Is there likely to be a discussion of policies and personal qualities and capabilities or is it all going to be bad tempered scrapping about licences and stuff?
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, Sorry meant to add that I am happy to answer any questions privately as I don't feel it is correct to discuss our personal situations on the internet. I would very much be interested in explaining how we work within the rules and current legislation. We have worked long and hard to stay legal and more importantly being welcomed in the resorts we work in. As an experienced and knowledgable international ISTD I hope you will understand and agree with how we have approached things.
snow conditions
Oh and I hear Rob may have some competition from someone that occasionally posts on here plus another that used to Toofy Grin
ski holidays
On a positive note, can I just say that my own experience of sessions with Inside Out, their willingness to take part and share here on Snowheads and the clear pride they take in their work and the improvements their clients experience makes me think @rob@rar would make an excellent addition to the BASI board. So good luck @rob@rar and to @abd as a fellow snowhead.
snow conditions
Thanks @olderscot,
ski holidays
@skimottaret, no worries... No malice intended but it did appear (to the cynic) to be dodging the issue... I understand why you don't necessarily want to release all details in public. No idea who TTT is and what beefs there may be...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abd wrote:
Here you go @stewart woodward, @TTT, and any others that want to ensure that potential directors are complying with the AoA as most people would interpret them, here is a link to a photo of my current licence.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/130297208@N04/22e9G5

Merci

Bon Chance!
latest report
offpisteskiing wrote:
As a voting member who is as yet undecided I would like to hear the answer to @TTT's question to @rob@rar at the bottom of page 1 regarding compliance with local legislation, guidelines etc in Europe (and which was subsequently ignored thanks to @skimottaret's diversionary tactics).

offpisteskiing : As a fellow voting member let me answer that question for you....

My understanding is that if you have your coaching qualification i.e (L3 Coach from Snowsport England / Scotland ?) then you can apply for IVSI status.
In simple terms the IVSI (apparently) perform a similar role that the ISIA do for ski instructors - sort of like international equivalence for coaches of clubs, national teams and junior races.

The international coaches equivalence apparently allows clubs or junior race teams (for example) to coach their children in France / Italy <etc> for a limited number of weeks. The people being coached have to be club members and it is expected that you are coaching on a "not for profit" basis. I think you often have to send a list of the trainees, and dates, to the local tourist office in advance for permission to be granted. Basically you have to prove you are not running a ski school (coaching and ski instructing being two different things). I think one IVSI level coach can mentor a few lower level coaches for each club ?

http://www.uksnowsports.co.uk/default.asp?contentID=651

Is this all legal ? Yes, assuming you are a genuine club coaching members not for profit.
However the recent situation with the Ski Club of GB with regards to ski hosting would suggest there could be potential grey areas ?
snow conditions
Licensed member. Don't instruct for money so confident that I comply with all laws and regulations. Intend to vote.

Inclined to vote for Rob as although we may not always agree respect his views, attitude, generally goes about things right way and has a sense of humour. Given the issues with SB. think director should be seen to comply with relevant laws and regulations in the interests of the organisation and the individual. I think Rob would make a good director from what I have seen on here and heard about but given other issues think important that basis of working overseas is addressed as it is an issue that has been raised by other members. For instance I know that my and other instructors have confirmed the basis on which they work overseas and have ensured that they have the appropriate permission and documentation from the local authorities so that there is not a problem if challenged when instructing clients. I hope there is a robust answer. I don't want anyone put in a difficult position.
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Is this all legal ? Yes, assuming you are a genuine club coaching members not for profit.
However the recent situation with the Ski Club of GB with regards to ski hosting would suggest there could be potential grey areas ?

Talking about France what you described is how French ski clubs work so there should be no problem. Indeed nothing stops someone taking a few people he met in the pub on Friday up to a ski resort and teaching them to ski providing he doesn't do it for money, he can't even ask for his petrol mind.

but that is off topic, sorry.

How often to BASI renew things like CRBs, First Aid etc?
snow report
When will we know who all the candidates standing are?
ski holidays
@sarah, I suspect that the EGM papers will be published by end of next week or perhaps the week after. That's just a guess though, there's likely to be quite a bit of collation to do.
latest report
How, where & when might a member vote? I see nothing obvious on BASI members area
snow conditions
Calm down @franzClammer, Calm down; I'm sure all will become clear in the next 2 weeks.
snow conditions
@abd, Very Happy
snow report
davidof wrote:

I think renewal dates are subject to different interpretations of the AoA's wink
If you checkout abd's licence above it states 'This Licence is only valid where the holder has a current refresher, first aid & disclosure'. Allegedly some people do not need to comply with these requirements Puzzled

Otherwise renewal dates are;

CRB check, every 3 years
First Aid, every 3 years, but may depend upon the type of First aid cert you have.
Refresher, complicated as different requirements for L1/2 & L3/4. The general rule appears to be 1 day/year. If you attend a BASI course this generally lasts for 3 years.
Suprisingly Eurotest training or examination does not count as a refresher course Puzzled
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
davidof wrote:
Just out of interest what percentage of non-Scots and non ISTDs are on the board?

Not sure of everyone's qualifications but these are the current Board Members

Chairman – Gareth Roberts ISTD
Secretary – Don Bates ISTD
Legal Director – Stephen Burke L2?
Finance Director – Heathley Clarke ?
Trainers Director – James Lamb ISTD
Telemark Director – Joseph Beer ISTD
Asdaptive Director – Rachel Easton ?
Marketing Director – Andy McCann ISTD
Snowboard Director – Benjamin Kinnear ?
Nordic Director – John Mordue ?
Ombudsman – Robbie Young ?

@stewart woodward, actually, according to Companies House, the board of BASI comprises the following directors (indicating original appointment dates):

Andrew Bates (is this Don Bates?): 23.2.2015
Andrew Lockerbie (BASI CEO): 23.2.2015
John Mordue: 5.12.2014
Andi McCann: 6.11.2009
Stephen Burke: 27.7.2012
Ben Kinnear: 7.11.2009
Joe Beer: 6.11.2009
James Lamb: 25.10.2012
Rachel Easton: 10.11.2011
Heathley Clarke: 11.11.2009
Gareth Roberts: 4.12.2008 (company secretary from 18.12.2014)

According to Companies House records, Robbie Young became a BASI director on 11 November 2009, but terminated 8 days later on 19 November 2009. As far as is obvious from those records, he's not been a BASI board member since then.

Also, according to Companies House records, Gareth Roberts was appointed company secretary of BASI on 18 February 2014, following the termination of Fergus Waters (previous chief executive) on 17 Feb 2014.

According to clause 29 of BASI's articles of association "The Chief Executive shall also assume the role of company secretary of the Company." That doesn't appear to be the situation at present.

David Goldsmith
latest report
stewart woodward wrote:
davidof wrote:

I think renewal dates are subject to different interpretations of the AoA's wink
If you checkout abd's licence above it states 'This Licence is only valid where the holder has a current refresher, first aid & disclosure'. Allegedly some people do not need to comply with these requirements Puzzled

Otherwise renewal dates are;

CRB check, every 3 years
First Aid, every 3 years, but may depend upon the type of First aid cert you have.
Refresher, complicated as different requirements for L1/2 & L3/4. The general rule appears to be 1 day/year. If you attend a BASI course this generally lasts for 3 years.
Suprisingly Eurotest training or examination does not count as a refresher course Puzzled

Thanks Stewart.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy