Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI EGM and Board Nominations

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure this has been that well publicised really so just in case any other members have missed it....

http://www.basi.org.uk/article/egm-pre-notice-reminder.aspx

EGM been called for 25th April with nominations for the board to be submitted by this Friday 27th Feb.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll be standing in the Alpine Director election.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rob@rar, rather you than me Laughing But good luck with it!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sarah, Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Forgive me for my ignorance, and appreciating that many of the members will be in the Alps, and appreciating postal or e- ballots, but isn't Hintertux an odd venue for an EGM of a British company?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, no, it's the largest gathering of BASI members in the annual calendar, with dozens of courses running at all levels of qualification over a period of about 5 weeks. The week which hosts the AGM is timed to coincide with the most number of members there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, last one was in Chamonix. I don't know. But at that time there will be a large number of members in Hintertux as prime time for lots of courses running there.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
x-post with @rob@rar Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They move the general meetings around, in recent years London, Hemel, Tamworth, Aviemore, Chamonix, Geneva, Zermatt, Hintertux, Morzine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, Good luck with the nominations.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm standing in the position of Members Ombudsman as it fits in well with my experience of chairing another professional body's Ethics, Disciplinary and Practice Standards Committee.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VOTE for @abd VOTE for rob@rar Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret wrote:
VOTE for @abd VOTE for rob@rar Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

It might help if we knew abd's name wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fair enough @stewart woodward, Andy Brook-Dobson

Thanks @skimottaret,
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abd wrote:
I'm standing in the position of Members Ombudsman as it fits in well with my experience of chairing another professional body's Ethics, Disciplinary and Practice Standards Committee.

After a recent experience, only to happy to vote for you for this position. I particularly like that you were involved with ETHICS in another professional body.
latest report
Thanks @Touchguru
ski holidays
Well, not being a member I don't have a vote.... but I'd vote for them too.
ski holidays
Thanks @pam w, you could always join Very Happy
ski holidays
@abd, @rob@rar, all the best guys Smile
latest report
Just out of interest what percentage of non-Scots and non ISTDs are on the board?
snow report
davidof wrote:
Just out of interest what percentage of non-Scots and non ISTDs are on the board?

Not sure of everyone's qualifications but these are the current Board Members

Chairman – Gareth Roberts ISTD
Secretary – Don Bates ISTD
Legal Director – Stephen Burke L2?
Finance Director – Heathley Clarke ?
Trainers Director – James Lamb ISTD
Telemark Director – Joseph Beer ISTD
Asdaptive Director – Rachel Easton ?
Marketing Director – Andy McCann ISTD
Snowboard Director – Benjamin Kinnear ?
Nordic Director – John Mordue ?
Ombudsman – Robbie Young ?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 27-02-15 15:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
stewart woodward wrote:
davidof wrote:

Not sure of everyone's qualifications but these are the current Board Members

I asked the question because they have the reputation of being a bit of a Scottish ISTD mafia, now the Scottish element I can understand to some extent given their base and the fact that most of the UK skiing is in Scotland but... given there are more lower level instructors in their ranks the board is a bit ISTD heavy. Ok the aim of their instructors is probably to end up as ISTDs so maybe that is natural too?
snow report
@davidof, I think the numbers speak for themselves that for whatever reason (be that time, motivation, lack of financial resources), many, many people get to L1 and stop, then some go to L2 and are happy having a couple of weeks of nil cost skiing each year working for the likes of Interski, Ski Astons etc. If I recall correctly there are about 300 ISTD members, and even fewer ISIA. Therefore don't think we can draw the conclusion that
Quote:

the aim of their instructors is probably to end up as ISTDs

I wonder whether it reflects the extent of engagement though; ie ISTDs have a greater vested interest in ensuring the running of BASI because its the primary means by which they derive their livelihood.
ski holidays
sorry to disappoint - but very few of those are Scot Wink
BASIs biggest challenge is that a diverse range of members (L1-L4) (Ski -> Telemark -> Snowboard -> Nordic) all expect different things from the same organisation.
Not everyone aspires to be ISTD, or indeed teach skiing full time as a career.
latest report
@abd, Agreed. The argument that the BASI board does not reflect the membership is based on a false premise i.e. the number of members at each level which does not reflect the reality. The board does reflect the relative level of professional interest of its membership i.e. if you weight the membership levels by earnings from instructing then I suspect the board is indeed representative. I think most of the membership have just done a GAP course for the experience or instruct as a hobby and don't have a problem with the work situation or that it is largely run by ISTD's working in France as they understand that and get from the organisation what they want. Having said that I think some more representation from other levels would be healthy but I will vote for the person who has the most relevant credentials regardless of level.
latest report
@TTT, I am not sure if you were a member when once upon a time the different alpine levels each had a director. Not sure why that was rescinded.
snow report
@TTT, would the most relevant credentials include being a licenced member according to the AofA?
snow conditions
Dunk wrote:
@TTT, would the most relevant credentials include being a licenced member according to the AofA?

Anybody who wants my vote in the forthcoming elections will have to post a copy of his/her licence on line. If the CRB, First Aid & refresher dates are not current they will not be getting my vote.

I am now on my 3rd Licence this season, due to updates, so no excuses.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stewart woodward, Two licences and one membership card in three months because I forgot to send a copy.....
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
sorry to disappoint - but very few of those are Scot Wink

That neither pleases nor displeases me. It is just a comment that I've read in the past about BASI being Scottish ISTD dominated, which for the reasons given is perhaps entirely normal.
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
Anybody who wants my vote in the forthcoming elections will have to post a copy of his/her licence on line. If the CRB, First Aid & refresher dates are not current they will not be getting my vote.

I am now on my 3rd Licence this season, due to updates, so no excuses.

I'm all up to date with CRB, First Aid and Refresher dates. Happy to post my licence for all to see. Will be setting up a Facebook page to explain why I'm standing, and will be happy to take part in any social media discussion about the election and my candidature.
ski holidays
@Dunk, that is a leading question and I'm sure you know it. Happy for sure the articles and diciplinary proceedings need to be cleaned up but it is more important as far as I'm concered that someone has the relevant skills than some out of date procedural matters. It is far more important say just for example that the legal director has legal experience than they have an up to date license. All things being equal I would like to see level representation and that they have a license so it is not a distraction but I will vote based on the substance of someone having the best skills for the job not form or politics.
latest report
The 'vision statement' from the new CEO makes for interesting* reading.

http://www.basi.org.uk/member/basi-members-open-forum-24-january-2015-video-and-documents-.aspx

* I confess to being slightly miffed for a while after reading the document.
snow report
@rob@rar, slightly mischievous and nothing personal but given the issues with the one I really don't want to go into again here I think it is a fair question. Without seeing the other candidates position I'm currently intending to vote for you. Can you also confirm that you also have all the relevant documentation and comply with local laws and regulations and BASI guidelines when you work with clients in continental Europe.
snow report
@rob@rar, can you also confirm that you have a valid drivers license when driving to work, that you aren't a member of a terrorist organisation, haven't inhaled any cannabis, that your bar tab at Hemel is fully paid at the end of the month and that you actually do go to the gym regularly . Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@skimottaret,
You're not serious about the gym thing are you Shocked
snow conditions
@musher, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Gym three times this week, so far.
snow report
It's too imprecise a question @skimottaret, @rob@rar, might visit the physical premises of the gym 3 times a week, however it's what he might do there that's relevant. Sitting having a mochachino with extra chocolate sprinkles whilst fluttering his eyelashes at the pretty barista doesn't count as having a good workout unfortunately Rob (especially when the barista has told you plenty of times that he doesn't welcome your advances)! wink
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Gym three times this week, so far.

please DO NOT post any pictures wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy