Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Emily Sarsfield Olympic bid-please sign petition.

Poster: A snowHead
Alastair Pink wrote:
Hopefully the BOA & BSS will re-assess their dogmatic position on not accepting re-allocated places and that the maximum number of British athletes who meet IOC qualification requirements get to compete in future....

Particularly when the athlete is self-funded! That is what I really can't get my head round… everything I have read suggests she is self-funded.

She got the invitation as one of the top 32 athletes fit and available to compete in the Olympic Games, from an independent organisation that presumably owes her no favours whatsoever, and her own national sporting organisation - who don't even fund her - have blocked her from accepting it? Have I got that right?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does anyone have any contacts with the Ski Sunday team? Get them to pursue this? I said it on FB but the BOA make a mockery of the Olympic spirit and fools of themselves with this decision
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
miranda, Yep as far as I can that is exactly it!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
miranda, you seem to have summed that up fairly accurately, but I am pretty sure there is more to this policy than just pig-headedness. I'd like to hear the BOA's explanation beyond simply reiterating the rules.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You missed out that despite not funding Sarsfield, they still claim funding as a reason not to send her: "Given the investment that has gone into winter sport in the UK, it is expected that every athlete who competes for Team GB is in a position to deliver a credible performance."
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Signed. 2500+ now
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nineveh, regardless of whether they funded her or not it seems a strange and slightly incomprehensible comment. If they HAD funded her you would think they would want to get publicity and for her to get some experience. If they didn't why would they care.

I can only suppose that either they would rather British athletes don't compete than do an Eddie the eagle (no disrespect to Emily, I just meant they want the Brits to be seen to be in with a very credible chance), OR there are funding implications to actually sending someone to the games that we are not aware of.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
foxtrotzulu wrote:
miranda, you seem to have summed that up fairly accurately, but I am pretty sure there is more to this policy than just pig-headedness. I'd like to hear the BOA's explanation beyond simply reiterating the rules.

Well I have asked them to explain their reasoning on their facebook page but they haven't replied yet.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Nineveh, regardless of whether they funded her or not it seems a strange and slightly incomprehensible comment. If they HAD funded her you would think they would want to get publicity and for her to get some experience. If they didn't why would they care.

I can only suppose that either they would rather British athletes don't compete than do an Eddie the eagle (no disrespect to Emily, I just meant they want the Brits to be seen to be in with a very credible chance), OR there are funding implications to actually sending someone to the games that we are not aware of.

Which I would accept if this was someone who had only been skiing a short while with no significant results. Which is clearly not the case here (and I appreciate you weren't falling on the boa side of the fence).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davkt, does anyone ever reply to anything on FaceTwat?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eng_ch wrote:
Does anyone have any contacts with the Ski Sunday team? Get them to pursue this?

Or one of the national newspapers? Unfortunately, nobody I know (snowHeads excluded) knows anything about this. I'm sure people would care if they actually knew!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
maggi, was on the local BBC Look North program tonight ( I was watching on slingbox) so it is in the public domain.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's incomprehensible either way, but it's hypocritical and to me it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth to effectively say that they aren't sending her for financial reasons, with an implication that they won't fund her because she's no good, when she hasn't been funded at all and still wouldn't have been funded had she managed to be 2 places higher in the rankings. Like ansta1, I can accept some limits on "they met the mark, so can go" for obvious vanity projects, but that's plainly not the case here. Looks like BOA want to claim the credit for hard work without being prepared to give any backing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, I'm Emily's sister and confirm she receives no funding from UK Sport or British Ski and Snowboard. She does receive a small amount from TASS to help with strength and conditioning/ physio in the UK.

Emily works hard to fund herself through sponsors, summer jobs and ski instructing. She trains with the Polish team who have taken her under their wing and she is very much part of their team!

There is still time for a change of heart from the BOA and to take Emily to Sochi... That's why we are pushing the petition and any pressure we can on #TeamGB and #TeamBSS ( British Ski and Snowboard).

Emily achieves British qualification standards, but they won't accept her 'reallocated quota'... The selection policy for Sochi is worded exactly the same as for Vancouver, and they exercised a discretion then to accept the reallocated places. BSS just won't ask BOA, or BOA won't accept the quota... It is exclusionary as they won't take someone who may come outside the top 15. Emily came 17th in the World Champs last year and BSS are questioning a credible performance? We are a lowland country competing with the worlds best, can we really be that arrogant?

Ski Cross is exciting... And anything can happen. Emily has one of the fastest starts in the World Cup which is a massive advantage in the heats! Plus British people want to see Brits at the games - only then will Ski Cross attract sponsors/funding for the next generation!

Please bombard BOA and BSS with your comments and keep spreading the petition.

Thanks so much for all your support!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 25-01-14 1:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Vicsars, Will keep at them, maybe they will bother replying to the questions being asked of them!
ski holidays
Signed. Up to 3540
snow report
Signed. She deserves to go.
latest report
Why does the BBC sport web site have 2 articles on its front page about the South African skier who hasn't been selected because he missed 140 FIS points, but the Emily Sarsfield article is hidden away in the winter sports section? Shocking.
ski holidays
Vicsars, Who exactly are the selectors that denied Emily her place? Are they from BSS? are they from BOA? If from the BSS who exactly sits on the selection panel for SkierCross? Is is Konrad, Paddy and Dave ? Direct your questions to them specifically, sorry but a petition will do little on its own. Dont let them hide, make them accountable for their decision!!
latest report
skimottaret, I understood it was the BOA and the BSS endorsed their decision.
ski holidays
Signed.
latest report
Hey Em, I am in Morzine and have contacted senior BASI members to see if they can persuade our President to act on your behalf.

Good to hear that there is still a quota , dont give up yet. Present your petition to Paddy and Ian M (if Freestyle selection panel) perhaps to Seb Coe as well or someone at BOA.

keep the faith , Scott
snow report
skimottaret, glad someone with some clout is doing something. This important skiing news isn't even in snowNews! Evil or Very Mad

And where's Mr Goldsmith when you need him? I thought he was an ex ski journalist with contacts. And Bode Swiller? No idea what or who he is but he always comes over as somebody "in the know" where ski PR is mentioned. (OK, he might be a plumber with fantasies but you never know.)
ski holidays
Planetski.eu has done a story but behind the scenes a lot of people are trying to help
latest report
Signed and shared. Good luck to Emily in getting this decision turned around.
ski holidays
Have tweeted and fb till I am blue. But no response from anyone.
latest report
Signed. Now over 4,000 sigs. Keep going snowHeads, there are many of us and numbers make an impact.
ski holidays
Maybe admin would consider an email out to members with a link to the petition?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Vicsars, Could Emily go as an Independent? If so i'm sure a Kickstarter campaign would provide all the funding necessary after all there's 30,000 snowHeads and even if only 10% were to contribute a fiver each thats £15k right there. I'm sure she wants to represent Britain but if being an independent is a viable option then being there is better than not being there.
latest report
skimottaret, Great work trying to get BASI to wade in!
snow report
maggi, probably because the snowNews team is away skiing. I'll try and rectify that if I can.
latest report
Hells Bells, just seen that so good for you. Now what we need is the Daily Mail on board along the lines of, "Skier Cross Casting Couch Scandal - What Does a Girl Have to Do!!!". That would get it in the news rolling eyes .
snow report
good meeting in Morzine with all the senior directors at BASI, they are looking hard at how best they can assist Em who is a BASI member. Birchie says hello !
snow report
good job Scott, thanks for the update.
latest report
Signed and shared, yesterday. Best of luck to her and fingers crossed!!
ski holidays
skimottaret, well done! I'm crossing my fingers for Emily. Hope you're having a great time in Morzine! Smile
snow report
skimottaret, great stuff
snow report
skimottaret, good work.
snow report
Done....Good luck Emily!
latest report
Signed, 4470 and counting...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy