Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The people you bump into unexpectedly .....

Poster: A snowHead
What about those you don't bump into?

I once noticed Kok Wang (or whatever he's called) waiting for a taxi in Soho but didn't at all bother to stop and chat...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bode Swiller wrote:
Literally just bumped into John Surtees at Mercedes Benz World. He's a legend, only guy to have been world champion in both F1 and 500cc motorbike.
Met him on the transit train and sat next to him on an Easyjet flight from Zurich to Gatwick.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plus Suggs in the ski hire shop and Nick Faldo at the ski lift in Thollon.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't recognize most of those people even if I did bump into them. Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, me neither, I haven't even heard of half of them. Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Same here. My mad New Zealand friend keeps bumping into me on the slopes though. Fortunately, it's generally him that ends up spinning off into the trees.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BergenBergen wrote:
Plus Suggs in the ski hire shop and Nick Faldo at the ski lift in Thollon.

Well, I met Suggs in a wine bar in Camden and Nick Faldo at a tennis club in Bracknell.

Wife spotted Alan Titchmarsh in a curtain shop and she said "oooh, you're Alan Titchmarsh", to which he said "I know" - I had to walk out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Eddie Jordan on an easyjet flight 2 or 3 years ago. Would have expected a private jet rolling eyes

Mark Nicholas (cricket) coming back from Lyon a couple of weeks ago.

Harry Enfield couple of years ago but he did look like a proper tramp.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Being in high end hospitality, I've been 'fortunate' to meet many so called celebs, but yet to meet any I would know on the slopes - probably because they pay lots for lessons so aren't on my blue piste Embarassed

Here is a list of my favourites, who were all pretty nice. Some I have met were not worth speaking to...

Nick Faldo a few times
Tiger woods
Lee Westwood, who actually recognised me on our last meeting - legend
Almost everyone in the top 100 of the golf world
Samuel Jackson - who is exactly the same as his movies, so I thought he was going to kill me
David beckham and the rest of the England team, but don't really know them
Jonah Lomu and half the England and NZ rugby teams
I taught max Beasley golf for a while
My wife has met Michele Rodriguez and Kylie, and been chatted up by Hugh grant

And biggest shock of all, Victoria Beckham is a REALLY nice person. Met her a couple of times in a week at my work, I had to look after her Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh, and almost forgot, Darth Vader (or his voice, at least) in a restaurant - a gent and what a voice !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dennisp, in that case I suspect that the "Victoria Beckham" that you saw was a 'personality double'.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dennisp wrote:
Being in high end hospitality, I've been 'fortunate' to meet many so called celebs, but yet to meet any I would know on the slopes - probably because they pay lots for lessons so aren't on my blue piste Embarassed

Here is a list of my favourites, who were all pretty nice. Some I have met were not worth speaking to...

Nick Faldo a few times
Tiger woods
Lee Westwood, who actually recognised me on our last meeting - legend
Almost everyone in the top 100 of the golf world
Samuel Jackson - who is exactly the same as his movies, so I thought he was going to kill me
David beckham and the rest of the England team, but don't really know them
Jonah Lomu and half the England and NZ rugby teams
I taught max Beasley golf for a while
My wife has met Michele Rodriguez and Kylie, and been chatted up by Hugh grant

And biggest shock of all, Victoria Beckham is a REALLY nice person. Met her a couple of times in a week at my work, I had to look after her Madeye-Smiley

We seem to have met similar people....

through Golf...and concur with your findings.
Lee Westwood is a top bloke...spent many a moment talking football and Notts Forest.
Met Tiger a few times and played a round with him in a Pro-Am... so different to how he is portrayed by the media.
In fact most in Pro Golf are nice people...
So different to the England Football Team... One of the biggest dissapointments ever for me...bunch of dimwits... Beckham and David James were top blokes though.
Also funny you should mention Hugh Grant...him and his ex Liz Hurley used to live not far from where I lived... I used to go all gaga when she spoke to me.... rolling eyes
Spent an afternoon chatting with her new bloke Shane Warne too... great lad.
Biggest names i suppose are Charlie, Harry and Wills... and a few other Royals....again live not far from me... Badminton and Beaufort Polo...all really down to earth and interesting.
Biggest thing you find are most are totally different to how the media portray them. The biggest difference was Nancy Dell'olio...not really a 'celeb'...but what a lovely lady.

As for meeting people whilst Skiing... no 'celebs...but plenty of top Racers... Ted Ligerty and Mikaela Shiffrin being super nice.

Would love to bump into Kate Beckinsale though... Embarassed Razz
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

On the way home from Heavenly in 2008, bumped into QT himself at San Francisco Airport, great bloke Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Biggest thing you find are most are totally different to how the media portray them

so true.

and most, are just normal people like you and me (except Eastenders stars)

and when it's work related (or even quirky hobby related), most have seemed genuinely interested, and not just there for political reasons.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
im always surprised how 'small' celebs are, Samuel Jackson was a lot smaller than i thought, Barbara Bach was lovely, Ringo Starr is tiny but what a great voice, Roger Moore was a bit bumbly, Joan Collins nearly knocked me out with the 'smell', schumacher was great with my son, in fact most of the F1 drivers were great, tends to be the new to it ones that can get a bit frosty! Cool Saw Graham Bell last week in Meribel, beard is not a great look!!
snow conditions
iskar wrote:
schumacher was great with my son
Had Schumacher in to hire skis and boots for his son once, think he was about 11 at the time (the son, obviously..). Not exactly the context you can have a good old chat but I was struck by just how down to earth he was; I'd even say he was beyond 'normal' in that he didn't make any requests about the equipment/payment or try and act on his status whatsoever. I get considerably more grief from Joe Average.

It's sad that we're all a bit surprised when these people turn out to be nice though. I don't remember it fully but my dad introduced me to Van Morrison when I was a kid and recalls with some shock that he turned to have a proper conversation with me rather than just a passing 'celeb-acknowledgement' [must be a term for that].
snow report
Quote:

and most, are just normal people like you and me (except Eastenders stars)

and when it's work related (or even quirky hobby related), most have seemed genuinely interested, and not just there for political reasons.

So which Eastenders stars are amateur rocketeers? My money's on Pat Butcher.
snow report
Actually. Emmerdale Farm did the rockets. Still good friends with the guys that helped them out.
latest report
dennisp, are you at Emirates/Dubai creek? never been, but I sold some software to them a few years back.

Quote:
Acacia,
I was having lunch at the Temple Lodge at Lake Louise some years back, and recognised the (recently deceased) actor Richard Griffiths, having lunch with his private instructor.

When I was a student I did some stewarding at the Cricket world cup, looked after the hospitality area at the final at Lords. Met lots of celebs including Derek Nimmo. Well we thought it was Derek Nimmo until we did a bit of research and realised he'd died earlier that year Embarassed

As a teenager I put Dean Saunders on his backside as we walked into each other turning a corner of a corridoor at the Boleyn Ground.
latest report
grolsch99 wrote:

On the way home from Heavenly in 2008, bumped into QT himself at San Francisco Airport, great bloke Smile

QT looks like the village idiot/rapist/scout leader.
ski holidays
hammerite, I have a good friend who is the spitting image of Derek Nimmo. But he's not a cricket fan, so it can't have been him. Hth. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
spud I am very good friends with Kate Bekinsale's Godmother. Never met Kate, but I have met her mum.
snow report
I often wonder how embarassing it would be to bump into a personality and not realise it/recognise them. I wonder if they would appreciate chatting to someone that didn't know who they were, i.e. would they appreciate the anonymity? For example I wouldn't known that was Quentin Tarantino. Certainly I've heard of him, but I wouldn't have brought to mind what he looked like.
ski holidays
Megamum, I can't see why the thing itself would be embarrassing at all. Obviously if you started giving tips to Bode Miller on a chairlift…
snow report
Pedantica, the not Derek Nimmo person was a "celebrity" of some sort, no idea who though.

Megamum, I saw a tw*t in a shiny silver hat at Palma airport a couple of years ago, with a load of girls going up to him. Pointed him out to Jnr and asked who it was, he told me it was Dappy from N-Dubz. Jnr wanted his photo taken with him, so I had to go up and ask him and all his entourage for a photo with Jnr as neither of us knew which of the others were famous/celebs or not!
snow report
Megamum wrote:
I often wonder how embarassing it would be to bump into a personality and not realise it/recognise them. I wonder if they would appreciate chatting to someone that didn't know who they were.

I do that all the time apparently, I'm quite useless at spotting people. I don't follow sport, never had MTV and don't read gossip mags either so wouldn't recognise a singer or star without make-up and props...

I think Schumacher (above) is the only person I've ever recognised, looking out the window with a casual, "I might be wrong, but I think Michael Schumacher is about to walk in here.."

One of my colleagues once recognised someone when they were using a false name but only told me about it after they'd left, that was one of our olympic cyclists I think (seen him a few times since but can never remember the real or false names he uses!). Was quite taken back this summer when I didn't realise I was taking to Kate Moss though; simply because I think I would have seen her face in enough adverts to know it.

Remember one funny example when an instructor brought a client in for kit and just as we were finishing another instructor friend wandered in and we all started chatting crap (as you do), leaving the client to pay at the till. When the first two had left a sales girl came over and chastised us for firstly not recognising Natalie Umbruglia and secondly keeping her waiting listening to our inane banter! Laughing

Another time the penny dropped slowly when a guy called Jamie Theakston politely spelling his name for me, including 'j-a-m-i-e' (!) when I couldn't find his reservation. Already new he was in town though as the previous day some other client had replied to the question, "which chalet are you staying in?" with the answer, "Jamie Theakston's" rolling eyes
latest report
The brother of a friend used to be in charge of Canadian's operation at Vancouver airport. Charlton Heston turned up demanding to fly but the flight was full. Charlton looked him in the eye and said "Do you know who I am?"... to which XXXXX turned to a colleague and said "another passenger who doesn't know who he"
snow conditions
Wouldn't recognise a footballer. tbf prolly wouldn't recognise a rugby or cricket player either now. Might have bumped in to one before. Or I might not have.
Ditto for pretty much any pop star, big brother "contestant", or any one on any of those phone in vote shows that clog up TV in the run up to Christmas.

I've dined with 2 ISS astronauts, and didn't have a clue who they were until half way thru dinner when I noticed the name on their work badge. Just another colleague that works in a different building.

What is embarrassing though is when you get a big group round to watch a TV show because your best mate's big sister is one of the main stars. And then she gets her kit off, when nobody was expecting that. Nobody really knew what to say at that point.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
I often wonder how embarassing it would be to bump into a personality and not realise it/recognise them. I wonder if they would appreciate chatting to someone that didn't know who they were, i.e. would they appreciate the anonymity? For example I wouldn't known that was Quentin Tarantino. Certainly I've heard of him, but I wouldn't have brought to mind what he looked like.

It can sometimes be of an advantage... wink I once didn't recognise an Actress at a wine bar. At the time she was appearing in a popular tv series called Casualty. I don't watch much tv Little Angel ... Anyway...We got talking at the bar ( as you do Razz )...after she had taken the preverbial out of me for my choice of drink ( Vodka and Cranberry rolling eyes ). To cut a long story short... I think she found it refreshing that I didn't know who she was as i was taking an interest in her, not because of her fame, but because of her as a person.

Met again for drinks... but nothing came of it. Only found out who she really was when I saw her appear in FHM's top 100 Worlds sexiest women... Top 30 even Shocked Laughing

Which is a joke in itself... She was attractive... but no way top 30 in the world. Seen more attractive girls in the high st.

holidayloverxx
'spud I am very good friends with Kate Bekinsale's Godmother. Never met Kate, but I have met her mum.'

Ask whether you can get me on a date wink Razz
snow report
When I was captain of my (ex-)works' cricket team, an unknown presumed colleague gave me a bit of a working over in the indoor nets at Lord's. I told him he was definitely in contention for the next fixture. Turns out he was on the Lord's ground staff and went on to take 464 first class wickets.
snow conditions
spud, haha. The aforementioned full frontal big sister also did Casualty some years later (and the Bill, amongst other things). I'm not going to google FHM top 100 to see if she was there too. At least, not at work.

edit: it might have been Holby City actually. May well have done 1-off Casualty work too, much earlier (which actors haven't?)
latest report
andy, spud,
ski holidays
andy wrote:
spud, haha. The aforementioned full frontal big sister also did Casualty some years later (and the Bill, amongst other things). I'm not going to google FHM top 100 to see if she was there too. At least, not at work.

edit: it might have been Holby City actually. May well have done 1-off Casualty work too, much earlier (which actors haven't?)

Shocked Blimey...just googled and she also appeared in The Bill after Casualty... might be the same person Embarassed Laughing

Does her surname have a long neck a beak and 'Gander'? Laughing
snow report
nbt wrote:
andy, spud,

Most interesting one i could find on google... Shocked

latest report
Someone else.
snow report
spud, keep digging.
snow report
hammerite, a fellow West Ham fan I take it? Should have guessed from your name I suppose......
latest report
Whitters, yes, for our sins....
ski holidays
In Beaver Creek today on Centennial 6 chairlift I met the daughter of the 1953 Miss World. I can report she is happily married to a Mexican rancher and lives just outside Mexico City, so there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denise_Perrier
latest report
Topical meet

I was waiting in the security queue at Heathrow on my way to PSB12 when the female in front said I could go through first because she had to remove her boots and belt before the scanner.

I later spotted her at the bar.

Did any other snowHeads recognise Carol Thatcher in the Flying Goose ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy