Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts Still open after 07.04.2013

Poster: A snowHead
About a third of all the stations in the Pyrenees and Iberian peninsula will be open beyond next weekend, including some that Brits might have heard of such as Grandvalira (Andorra; open until 28 April), Sierra Nevada (5 May) and Baqueira-Beret (5 May).

In the south of Europe at least, as Pam W says, closing has nothing to do with quantity of snow (though there's no doubt that the resorts dread a late Easter in poor seasons, knowing they'll have to try to eke out the snow through endless days of sunshine). It's to do with the mentality of the clients: after Easter your average Mediterranean skier starts thinking of the beach, not the mountains, to the frustration of those of us who'd love the resorts to stay open until the snow melts.

This year of such extraordinary snowfall, though, there's been a real mind-shift from the resorts in the Pyrenees; the large majority not only extended their opening dates but also reduced the cost of the forfait - something that was pretty much unheard of. It seems they're beginning to realize that the mentality can be changed; it's a question of marketing, surely! (I like to think that even they had to admit that it would be criminal to close resorts which still have more that three metres of snow! But sadly I doubt it; everything boils down to balance sheets in the end.) Now we just need to respond to these offers so that the attempt isn't in vain...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 4-04-13 21:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Warth-Schroecken is open until 14 April and has 3m of snow at the top and 2m of snow in the valley@ present.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Pengelstein area of Kitzbühel/Kirchberg closes tomorrow, 7th April. I believe some lifts will be running at the Pass Thurn end but I don't know what.

Fieberbrunn closes tomorrow too, St. Johann in Tirol is already closed.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
I suspect Scotland will be going strong, and I'm hopeful for a May slide up there to try and coincide with my birthday....

Scottish resorts should still be open. Plenty of snow last week when I was there and it snowed again yesterday with more forecast today and for later in the week

While not in the same league as other photos on this thread the conditions are still good.

The view from the top of the Cainwell Tow shows how extensive the snow cover is.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Flek in Kirchberg is still open. Sonnenrast, Steinbergkogel and Jufen. Your right, you cant get as far over as Pengelstien, but certainly still open. I suspect it will remain so depending on the numbers going thru. That's what they did last year. Then just closed and left only Pass Thurn open. But I skied Pass thurn last week, and its still okay.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Most ski resorts end ski season

Although snow conditions would allow a longer ski season, most ski resorts in Carinthia (Southern Austria) are closing after the upcoming weekend. They argue that skiers have enough of the winter and holidaymakers have already gone home.

Carinthian ski resorts were happy about the amounts of snow after Easter at other times. This year’s ski season ended in most ski resorts such as Bad Kleinkirchheim or Klippitzthörl after the Easter holidays.

Smaller ski resorts such as Hochrindl or Petzen already closed in the middle of March. The ski lifts of Katschberg, Mallnitz, Nassfeld, Heiligenblut and Gerlitzen will stop this weekend.

Other ski resorts are not operating the lifts any longer as holidaymakers have already gone home. Apparently, people from the area also do not want to go skiing any longer.

The lifts Innerkrems will be opened until 13 April and the Turrach ski lifts will operate until 14 April. The Kornock lift will be operating until 1 May. Like in the last few years, the lifts at the Mölltal glacier will operate the longest - until 12 May.

http://www.austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2013-04-08/47836/Most_ski_resorts_end_ski_season
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For those saying that resorts dont change their closing date based on snow...maybe

http://www.morznet.com/ski/snow/morzine-snow-report-8th-april-2013.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And back in England, North Pennine skiing is in good health - both Weardale and Yad Moss can still run, Harwood might do depends on grouse and landowners but Allenheads is closed for Lambing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a little resort in the Steiermark called Aflenz that has extended the season by two weekends. Problem is it's forecast to warm up big time and might get rained out. Confused
http://www.bergfex.at/aflenzer-buergeralm/wetter/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nordkette is staying open (though closing 8-12th April for maintenance) Very Happy Still plenty of snow in them thar couloirs!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Everything open and currently snowing in Les 2 Alpes, resort open till the end of the month
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dennisp wrote:
For those saying that resorts dont change their closing date based on snow...maybe
http://www.morznet.com/ski/snow/morzine-snow-report-8th-april-2013.html

That's not what we've been saying. We've been saying that snow levels are not the direct determiner of closing date. Income is. If resorts think that there'll be enough paying customers to make it worthwhile for them to stay open, then they will probably do so. If they don't, then they almost certainly won't, regardless of the metres of snow on the ground (which turns out to not influence the availability of paying customers as much as one might think).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If resorts think that there'll be enough paying customers to make it worthwhile for them to stay open, then they will probably do so

the emptiness of Les Saisies, throughout the Easter holidays and despite excellent snow depths and conditions, has been notable.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

If resorts think that there'll be enough paying customers to make it worthwhile for them to stay open, then they will probably do so

the emptiness of Les Saisies, throughout the Easter holidays and despite excellent snow depths and conditions, has been notable.

We were booked to go to St Anton with Esprit they decided to close a week early in that resort meaning we are now going to Belle Plagne. I can only guess that they must have been well down in bookings for next week despite how great the season has been for snow that it was more cost effective to rebook people onto different flights and accomodation.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NickyJ, IIRC they told you that the resort was closing early. Have they accepted that that is not the case?
snow report
Yep they are closing all their properties in resort - it was mix up over who "they" were and them missing words out. As she said "they have decided to close the resort early" the missing word being "in" and the "they" were probably "hotel plan" as I went on the inghams website and although they appeared to have availability when I went through the costing the price turned into approx £20,000 for that week. Well I guess that is one way of stopping people making new bookings LOL.
snow report
For the resorts it will be a simple case of can they make a margin if they stay open? If they paying customers are not there then the likely answer is no they can't. The other issue they will have is around staffing. Many people who work in the leisure industry will split their year between winter and summer destinations with a bit of downtime in-between. The summer season is getting under way in many areas so staff will be migrating to those areas.

You can't really blame customers either. Most of us get a limited amount of holiday each year and we have to use it wisely. Add in to the equation a limited amount of money to spend on holidays and its easy to see why most people sop skiing at the end of March. I've just paid the balance on our summer holiday as that is only 12 weeks away! Toofy Grin
latest report
DT68, I am in Warth at the moment! Just had a great end of season crud and powder day skiing from the Sonnenjet lift down 8 and 4. Weather was changeable but noone else on the pistes. Off to Lech tomorrow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy