Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What can you get away with in checked baggage?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I haven't taken a ski charter flight in about 15 years. The last trip I made overseas was to the USA and that was with BA so I didn't have to worry about how much I took. Next February I'll be flying from Edinburgh to Chambery with BA. I assume it is a BA charter as that is not a scheduled route for BA. Esprit haven't provided any details of baggage allowance but the T&Cs do say Ski boots and snowboard boots are carried as part of your normal luggage allowance . I'm not sure if this means that I can have a separate boot bag but the weight is included in my overall allowance or my boots must be part of a single bag not weighing more than XXkg?

I have booked ski carriage as my son has his own and I may well have my own by the time we go. Having looked around I’ve seen some double ski bags that appear to be able to hold 2 pairs of skis and boots and other gear - http://skibag-lokker.deal-net.co.uk/double-wheelie-ski-bag-lokker.html. The question is how likely am I to get away with:-

(a) Only paying for 1 ski carriage but putting 2 pairs in a bag?
(b) Stuffing said bag with boots and other items?

Getting boots in the ski bag is not hugely important as I have 2 large Dakine bags that could hold boots with clothes going in the ski bag.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good luck
Esprit have used Monarch for a good few years now out of Gatwick
esprit charge £35 return for a bag of (one pair of) skis
Monarch decided to carry skis free this year , but esprit still managed to explain that they still had to charge me for my skis

Boots in separate bag as part of normal luggage allowance

Have managed to squeeze the odd extra pair of skis in in the past -suppose it depends on how heavy the bag gets to, the only people who can check are the X-ray guys after you've finished checking in

By the way I paid for both pairs this year
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
About 23 kilos of charlie if Her Maj's don't have the beagles out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're going with BA on a BA flight then you can take a ski or board bag as your one piece of hold luggage and cram absolutely everything in there and as long as it's under the maximum weight they don't care.

For example for a weekend away I put my wash stuff in my board boots, put a sock over the end of the boot so it doesn't fall out, wrap my boarding clothes around the board and put clothes in the middle. Job done Very Happy BA also give you a generous cabin baggage allowance.

I think it's Titan Airways who run BA's charter flights, usually you get a 757.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

If you're going with BA on a BA flight then you can take a ski or board bag as your one piece of hold luggage and cram absolutely everything in there and as long as it's under the maximum weight they don't care.

I would agree if it was a scheduled BA flight but this is a charter operated by BA so the rules that apply will be set by the company commissioning the charter.

Quote:

I think it's Titan Airways who run BA's charter flights, usually you get a 757.

BA have used Titan when they have a capacity issue but I'd be surprised if a tour operator chartered an aircraft from BA who then sub-charted to Titan. I think it is more likely that they will use an aircraft that would be sititng at Edinburgh on a Sunday and not utilised. This already occurs with FlyBe as their E195 jets don't get used much on scheduled work at the weekends so are used for charters.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And I don't think you can land / take-off a 757 at Chambery? Certainly there was a time when the biggest possible was a 737 or equivalent.
Sorry - can't help on the baggage issue
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Gaza wrote:
What can you get away with in checked baggage?

I got away with these checked ski pants
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some people have managed to smuggle parrots through in cardboard tubes. Not very nice people though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gaza wrote:
I would agree if it was a scheduled BA flight but this is a charter operated by BA so the rules that apply will be set by the company commissioning the charter.

The reason I said that was because it sounds a lot like BA's general attitude to sports equipment carriage, but fair play, there's no direct reference to charter flights and whether the same conditions do or don't apply on their website so it's definitely a grey area.

Gaza wrote:
BA have used Titan when they have a capacity issue but I'd be surprised if a tour operator chartered an aircraft from BA who then sub-charted to Titan. I think it is more likely that they will use an aircraft that would be sititng at Edinburgh on a Sunday and not utilised. This already occurs with FlyBe as their E195 jets don't get used much on scheduled work at the weekends so are used for charters.

BA use Titan on a wet lease basis for covering unexpected tech as much as anything, but I'm almost certain they operate BA's ski charters. BA fly 767s on domestic routes into LHR, 737s into LGW (soon to be replaced by the ex-BMI Airbuses, IIRC), and E170s into LCY. They're running incredibly close to the wire with fleet and availability at the moment and are using Titan frequently (one of their 767s has been off sick recently on the domestic route for example), so they really don't have planes sitting around doing nothing any more unfortunately - well, fortunately for us, it keeps the costs down.

Most importantly, if you do end up on a Titan aircraft, you will definitely enjoy it. The cabin crew are very attractive Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy