Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Road across Northenr France closed as well as closer to home

Poster: A snowHead
davidof wrote:
bit of a cock up by the authorities apparently. They let all the lorries back onto the roads at the same time and this caused a megajam esp as there were still weather problems (10cm of ice on the roads in places).

From the rolling French news footage we're getting, the lorries never actually left the roads, cars were weaving in between them and up and down the hard shoulders.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just read properly the information about my appointment tomorrow and I can't drive as I might have drops in the eyes. so it's Boring Goring by train, and back, and I can't leave before Friday morning. Time for plan B and some lat and long positions for IBIS Budget hotels near the south end of my drive. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I shall assume from the silence that either Weathercam's mobile phone died on him or he got out of the jam.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fingers crossed he's out of the jam
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, Sanef website still says 'deneigement en cours' although there doesn't seem to be as many jams as before. Operation Stack still on the M20 though. I guess I'll be checking things out on the jorney down.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice powder day in the forests for me tomorrow Cool

More snow please vicar.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What a fecking trip!

Stop start traffic jams with no logical explanation, tempers getting a bit tense as a few Lorries tried to stop cars going up hard shoulder, let you all have a debate as to the rights and wrongs of that, but as it was the damn trucks that so obviously caused this, although they just happened to be on the wrong place at the wrong time, it did seem that many were just blocking the roaa waiting for various autoroute inter sections to open up rather than hacking on down.

Think it was the A29 / A26 where they were parked up in there lanes rather than drive on down to Reims.

We had a bit of an RN tour as we were going up the hard shoulder saw a pompier come down one of the slip access Roads, so checked the GPS to see what the options would be, at first he said interdit but told him how I wanted top go Cambrai, St Quentin Reims and he let me off !

Roads were a bit gnarly and lucky had snow tyres, in the end the RN was blocked with snow and we has to go back on the A26 north of St Quentin.

ETA at my brothers now 22:00 5he's late, suppose could be worse!

Think should all be back to normal tomorrow
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam, sounds awful. Hope it is better for us tomorrow. We weren't planning on driving any further south than Epernay tomorrow in any case, so it shouldn't be too bad.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:

ETA at my brothers now 22:00 5he's late, suppose could be worse!

Think should all be back to normal tomorrow

Just started snowing in Grenoble so hope you get to your brothers before / if it makes it north.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok, that's it I'm off to stock up on pork pies. Hope Tesco has got the Melton Mowbray ones, the dog's fussy.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof, thanks for that Smile

Now how about a freak snow storm early fri am in time for the col du L to be shut!

How heavy is the snow?

And looks like warm slys sunday into monday fohen winds to add insult to injury Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam wrote:
davidof, thanks for that Smile

Now how about a freak snow storm early fri am in time for the col du L to be shut!

How heavy is the snow?

And looks like warm slys sunday into monday fohen winds to add insult to injury Sad

about 15cm expected but winds to 120km/h at altitude. Good change CdL shut if those winds continue. It shut last weekend due to the wind.

TV say don't take the A26 or A1 tomorrow and avoid Caen.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, looks like I may need to find an alternative route south then.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hells Bells wrote:
davidof, looks like I may need to find an alternative route south then.

certainly check up before heading onto the A1
snow report
[quote="davidof"]

Jean-Marc Ayrault, French PM has said "the situation is under control". Normally when JMA says something like that it is a total fustercluck.

So true rolling eyes
snow conditions
davidof, we shouldn't need to be on the A1, only the A26, but that is where Weathercam was stuck this morning near the junction of the two.
snow report
Would really appreciate any updates(good or bad) from those who are traveling tomorrow and friday down the A26 from Calais to The Alps .
If you don't have any 3G access would i be too cheeky to ask for a text message ?? Embarassed
I can PM my mobile number to any willing snowheads.

Regards,

Phil
snow conditions
Quick update, made it to my brothers in the Chartreuse at 22:04!

Could have been far worse I suppose!

Messages sent to friends in La Grave as to what they reckon the situation might be!

Best of luck to those travelling over the next few days, but has to be better than today?
ski holidays
The A26 was clear tonight.

A fair number of lorries were still parked on the hard shoulder and in every layby but none blocking the autoroute itself.

I turned off the M20 at J7, just before the stack and went onto the M2.
ski holidays
rjs, Thanks. We are setting off midday ish, to near Cambrai, so I will update this evening. Tom Tom live gets round most of these problems, so fingers crossed. I think the problem may have moved further south. Double edged sword; do we want snow or not ? I seem to remember someone on this thread saying that 4x4 cars were unnecessary, but with snow tyres as well I am confident. Safe journeys everyone !
snow report
cstreat, the problem is that even with a 4x4 and snow tyres it's those in front of you who don't that will cause the problems.

One of the major jams was around the A26 / A29 as the junction was shut, hopefullt they would have opened that by now!

Forgot to add, that yesterday with my diversion off the autoroute care of taking that open access route I did not have to pay the full amount for the Calais to Reims strectch of the peage, but was not a great saving in the overall scheme of things Puzzled

Slight snow falling here north of Grenoble, off down there shortly, and then decide whether to go via La Grave to Serre Che or go via Gap as I have to be in Briancon by noon to get to the bank and then the Notaire at 14.

Have just heard from someone in Serre that it's not snowing there.
ski holidays
The Lauteret is open today. It can close even if there is no snow due to drifting as it did last week.
snow conditions
At Dover. All ok so far
snow report
Hells Bells, Good. I have bought a pork pie (and a Scotch egg) from the local butcher, for my meals along the way, along with a stack of grapes, apples, top quality crisps and Club choc bars and downloaded some podcasts from Radio 4 to intersperse with my music CDs so am ready to roll tomorrow morning, if conditions seem right! Looking forward to your further reports.
snow report
Safe and happy journeys all Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi all,

Off to The Maurrienne Valley ( Les Sybelles) leaving from Hertfordshire around 0600 on Friday for Eurotunnel. Hoping to get to Chambery for Tea and stickies on Friday evening.

If you see a black Mondeo Estate with ski rack on roof and 4 adults, driven by a good looking Geezer give us a wave.

As usual, Note to Burglars, Mother-in-law and German Shepherd will be guarding Chateau Baggins Laughing
ski holidays
No traffic problems on A26. All clear and heading for EPernay
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, sounds good. I now have another problem - dipped headlights out of action, both of them. Have had a squizzle at the fuses but that doesn't seem to be the problem. So into my friendly local garage first thing in the morning.....

Good job it's happened now, I suppose, rather than half way to Folkestone on the M25.

Have you eaten all the pork pies?
ski holidays
pam w, The roads were fine over the Jura too if you are thinking of going that way.
latest report
A26 all clear, but large drifts on minor roads after Arras if you have to leave main road to reach your accommodation. More snow than you would see on most alpine roads out in the sticks. If the hills were bigger, we could just stop here for the week! Might see you on the road, doofer king!!
snow report
rjs, thanks. I probably will if it's daylight. Don't know about the timing of my trip yet, because of the car problem. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Ps. Silver Impreza wagon, slow lane, or at petrol station!! Superb specimen driving!
ski holidays
cstreat,

will wave if you r on road friday
ski holidays
Having got my lights sorted out all tunnels yesterday were £129 so I changed my booking to the £75 just after midnight train, then got there early and got the 23.13 for the same price. Nice night for driving - clear sky, roads all clear and empty. Had a half hour snooze in a picnic aire around 7 am when I felt sleepy for the first time then drove across the Jura (all roads clear) in brilliant, beautiful, sunshine. The A40 from Chamonix towards Geneva was busy - quite a queue for the péage but going my way was fine and only very light traffic up from Sallanches too - I was pleasantly surprised. Les Saisies village was busy - loads of coaches and the car park full, must be lots of day trippers though the slopes didn't look too busy. My friends here helped me unload my car and are cooking me supper at this very moment.

It's nice to be back. snowHead
latest report
and Wales won the rugby! What a great day. snowHead
latest report
pam w, glad to hear that you made it ok.
latest report
pam w,

Glad you made it back to the mountains...wish it was me...but my turn is coming again soon~!
snow conditions
Lauteret is now closed, risk 5 up there. If anyone is headiing to Serre Che. it is a long detour of misery with snow in the valleys.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy