Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Road across Northenr France closed as well as closer to home

Poster: A snowHead
Was going to travel out today, but last week put it back to tomorrow, but that could still prove to be a little difficult!

Orange Alert for 29 departments and all roads from Pas de Calais south to Paris are impracticable.

Though even if you're flying today many many flights cancelled.

This is the view out of the house this morning over the beach and prom

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 12-03-13 9:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/diri/Accueil.do
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam, keeping an eye out ourselves and hoping that things improve by Thursday morning.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weathercam, mmm we are off out Friday, I have not seen the auto routes closed for long even when its blizzard conditions
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"La Basse-Normandie était quasi paralysée par la neige mardi." "Aucune autoroute n'est praticable" dans la Somme, Il est fortement déconseillé de prendre la route", "
La Belgique quasiment paralysée par la neige: plus de 1500 km de ralentissements"....

"Lower Normandy was almost paralyzed by snow Tuesday." "No highway is practicable" in the Somme, it is strongly not recommended to take the road ","
Belgium almost paralyzed by snow: more than 1500 km slowdowns "

Le dauphine has quite a nice timeline on the "crise"! : http://www.ledauphine.com/actualite/2013/03/12/neige-29-departements-en-alerte-orange-68-000-foyers-prives-d-electricite

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 12-03-13 10:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam, great photo. My son in law's school is closed (Hove) so he's at home catching up with his marking. I am driving out late Thursday because I have a medical appointment in Goring at 5.30. Hope to get to Calais then stop shortly after for the night.

I have rarely seen autoroutes closed but it's not uncommon to have to drive for mile after mile in convoy behind snowploughs with only one lane practicable. They tend to shoo all the Poids Lourds off into service areas when it's like that.

It looks as though the snow should be gone by then - just wet and possibly foggy. Still not nice travelling conditions - fog, particularly.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, fortunately we are only driving to Epernay on Thursday, so we should be driving in daylight which at least makes it a bit more bearable. We suffered the snowplough convoy between Troyes and Calais on our return journey in January.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was my brother (lives in the Chautreuse) who texted me about the Autoroutes being closed etc, and I texted back saying I'm not at all surprised after all the hassle we've been, and still going through in the run up to signing with the Notaire this friday.

And looks like more snow forecast for Wednesday as well through parts of France.

I texted back saying "just another spanner in the works", to which he replied "more like a whole damn tool box" Smile

We're staying in La Grave Thursday night with friends so what's the betting the Col will be shut Puzzled

Dogs were having a great time in the snow drifts on the beach this morning, though Pooch found it a little too deep and found her own little snow hole and had trouble getting out Smile

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
About 400 cars is trapped on the roads in Basse-Normandie since 6pm yesterday, and its still snowing and will so do to tomorrow morning atleast

Stay safe please,,,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
All Eurostar trains cancelled for rest of today - blaming conditions in northern France. Never seen that before.

And I also must add - the French knew it was coming. I saw loads of warnings on the French weather and train websites yesterday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam, love the pics, especially the second one. good luck with your journey. in fact good luck to everyone trying to get around.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

the French knew it was coming

it helps to have warnings, but when such unusual snowfalls happen, they can't be dealt with. They can be dealt with in the Alps because every little dorp has loads of snowploughs. Heavy snow brings northern areas of France to a standstill like southern areas of England - but the latter are so much more densely populated that the traffic snarl ups can be a lot worse.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

the French knew it was coming

it helps to have warnings, but when such unusual snowfalls happen, they can't be dealt with. They can be dealt with in the Alps because every little dorp has loads of snowploughs. Heavy snow brings northern areas of France to a standstill like southern areas of England - but the latter are so much more densely populated that the traffic snarl ups can be a lot worse.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:

We're staying in La Grave Thursday night with friends so what's the betting the Col will be shut Puzzled

Have you preinformed the hospital, PGHM and the resort so they can prepare in advance?

Assuming you get anywhere near la Grave that is.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, Laughing
ski holidays
Hells Bells, We will be following/leading you on Thurs, setting off from near Southampton, but stopping near Cambrai that night; edge of Jura near B en B Fri night, and then Montgenvre Sat, over to SC on Tues. Honk your horn if you pass a noisy Impreza estate going slowly and to trying get more than 20mpg !!
snow report
cstreat, I'll look out for you as we pass you on the Col then wink. Did you say you were in SC for a lesson? I was going to suggest you PM your mobile to meet up.
snow conditions
M20 closed again today because of traffic problems across the sea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-21766763
snow report
RTL2 news said today that 'millions' of people are stuck in their cars across France but the TGV style train services were meant to start up again at 8am this morning.

Such a contrast in the alps, yesterday we drove to Chamonix and back in bright sunshine.
ski holidays
Currently lots of 'incidents' on A26 , snow clearing, jams etc etc. Hopefully gone by tomorrow. (Crosses everything that can be ). http://www.aprr.fr/fr/preparation_au_voyage/temps_reel/trafic?carte=1_9
snow report
Can confirm some of the above Sad

Left home this morning (Worthing West Sussex) at 04:20 for a 06:50 Eurotunnel.

Operation stack was in force from junctions 8-9 on the M20 and we were diverted off on to the A20 - arrived at ET and train departed on time Smile

Disembarked at 08:30 local time and were doing really well, though did see a sign advising of traffic jams - we went over the A1 and then a few kms along the A26 gridlock, we're now stuck in the French equivalent of Operation Stack except the damn French have let all cars etc go headlong into it without any warnings or diversions !

Many of the truck cabs are empty as they evacuated the drivers - ironic and frustrating thing is that the roads are really clear, though some quite impressive drifts and cornices on some of the big cuttings.

So sitting here testing my new TEP dongle out rolling eyes
latest report
Weathercam, sounds horrendous, I hope you are out of there soon.
26km of traffic jam according to autoroute website.

snow conditions
And my latest holiday snaps Smile

snow report
Weathercam, just been watching you on iTele... Seems the cars are being encouraged to weave around the lorries, but the snowploughs are driving the wrong way up the motorway!
latest report
People have been stuck for 36 hours now on the A1[/img]
snow report
Shocked Shocked Shocked Hope you have some iron rations with you. I haven't seen news this morning yet but it sounded extremely bad last night. If it's still bad when I'm due to cross, tomorrow evening, I shall postpone my departure.
ski holidays
pam w, we've booked onto the ferry tomorrow for the first time in ages. Time to stock up on the pork pies I think and cross fingers tightly.
snow report
Quote:

Time to stock up on the pork pies

a traffic jam would be more bearable with pork pies. snowHead I shall be driving alone and am already planning for a substantial stock of food and drink and a duvet. Just in case.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, our food of choice for a long drive. They don't go soggy like a sandwich does.
snow conditions
If we get across the channel and there's still jams we may just head for a local hotel and skip the planned stop in Champagne. We're meant to be heading to Beaune on Friday, so it won't be too much of a drive.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked Hope you have some iron rations with you. I haven't seen news this morning yet but it sounded extremely bad last night. If it's still bad when I'm due to cross, tomorrow evening, I shall postpone my departure.

Black ice everywhere, they are hoping it will thaw this afternoon but the north of France is back on alert orange.

Some talk of evacuating people by helicopter now.
snow conditions
Still stuck, and have not moved nigh on four hours now!

About half an hour ago two transporters went up the hard shoulder, so maybe a couple of trucks are stuck up ahead as traffic is flowing on the other side.

Black ice scenario would make sense though as have experienced a sinmilar situation on the m25 once when the trucks could not get up the drag before clacketts lane.

I'll post as and when things happen or as and when if we do get moving and I can't stop to update!
snow report
Quote:

Black ice everywhere

Shocked Hmm. I shall keep monitoring this thread - very useful to have first hand info from the poor beggars stuck out on the road! It wouldn't be a huge problem for me to postpone and I will definitely do that rather than risk a lot of black ice - I'm not keen on fog, either.
snow report
pam w, if we cross on time tomorrow we should be in France by 4pm, so I will post an update when we do. Hopefully things will have greatly improved by then.
ski holidays
Another transporter has just gone up the hard shoulder, which is starting to look an option to me, but Mrs says no, she also said no to me getting my push bike out the back.

In fact just given the hard shoulder a go as quite a few others were doing it including a British Bentley, but only went half a mile or......

Hold on might be moving
snow conditions
Are the roads themselves actually clear of snow??
Is it just the gridlock of traffic that is causing the problems or are some roads still blocked by snow?
They look fairly clear from the photos above.

We set of early saturday morning and i'm really starting to get worried now.

Phil
snow conditions
qwertyuiop7, I doubt they will let the situation continue for that long. Once the drivers are returned to their vehicles it should hopefully be cleared relatively quickly. The roads on the itele report linked to above seem to be clear of snow, but there could be black ice.
latest report
30cms of powder is forecast for sunday/monday in Sainte Foy.
Me stuck in a traffic jam outside Arras, missing out on the powder fest, just my luck Crying or Very sad

Fingers and toes crossed for all those driving down this weekend

Phil
snow report
qwertyuiop7, powder forecast for Serre Chevalier too, so I am going to get through Northern France by then however I do it.
ski holidays

Jean-Marc Ayrault, French PM has said "the situation is under control". Normally when JMA says something like that it is a total fustercluck.

There were 170km of jams on the autoroutes of the Pas de Calais and Manche.

http://api.dmcloud.net/player/pubpage/4e7343f894a6f677b10006b4/5140651a06361d4e04000127/cf30673ae49346ec9310fe6e59a465b8?wmode=transparent&autoplay=1

bit of a cock up by the authorities apparently. They let all the lorries back onto the roads at the same time and this caused a megajam esp as there were still weather problems (10cm of ice on the roads in places).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy