Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade 2013, Trip report for half term

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum wrote:
This evening we went to the umbrella bar near the foot of the Achterjet. The Minimums have become local stars gaining a round of applause from the entire bar for their performance of Gangnam style, and Minimum_2 endeared himself to many with a solo effort to the Blues brothers 'Everybody loves somebody'.

I think we need to see a video of this.... wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Minimum's, Gangnam style is so 2012. You need to wow the crowds with the Harlem Shake (check out the hundreds of videos of it on YouTube).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kooky wrote:
Minimum_2, Get in the powder!!!! Madeye-Smiley Loving your reports, singing and dancing in the umbrella bars eh!!!! Good on you Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley I am going to pop over this afternoon, hopefully catch up with you all if my old legs can stand it!!!!! xx
kooky We missed your post by minutes. Did you get over?
The guys will post a day report of the excellent conditions later.
We thought it looked like powder, however, being 'tourists' we didn't want to incur anyone's wrath by suggesting it was ....... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FraserP, you are NOT ALLOWED IN OUR POWDER UNLESS YOU HAVE FAT GNARLY SKIS...SO THERE Twisted Evil

I didn´t as I wasn´t sure where you were skiing? Let me know and we can meet up, I may even drag Scarpa along with me if he promises not to scare the children Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kooky wrote:
FraserP, you are NOT ALLOWED IN OUR POWDER UNLESS YOU HAVE FAT GNARLY SKIS...SO THERE Twisted Evil
Ooops.... Laughing
Skis are skinny but I may fall into the Fat (not so gnarly) classification, does that excuse me?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FraserP, ok, it´ll do wink I did send you my mobile number, tell MM to check her pms!!! Are you skiing in Flachau all week or can I show you round Zauchensee?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kooky, we have now exchanged PM's - hope to see you tomorrow. Our early starts meant that we missed everyone's communcations, but we did score the fresh powder snow Very Happy

N.B. That's assuming holiday skiers can be expected to know what powder looks like.

IME I think it qualifies, but I have skied in powder lighter and deeper than today's (though again it was over a bashed piste) i.e. purer than pure powder snow, so maybe I have been a little spoilt on that front, but it was pretty good today wink

Well we hit the top on one of the first lifts, skied a lot before it got hammered, and I even led our group down an unskied section of red at the top and scored first tracks Toofy Grin It took a while to readjust to the sensation of seeming to not have anything to push the skis against as you turned, and to just pull the weight back just a tad so the tips didn't dive. The Minimum's have gone to bed knackered, they had their instructor for 2 hrs this morning and I think scored plenty of fresh, but I know that they want to tell you more when they find a moment so I won't say more than that.

We had lunch up on the hill and plenty of hot choccy stops as it was a tad cold - it has been snowing most of the day and enjoyed apres this evening in the same umbrella bar. The kids did their dancing again to an appreciative audience, but I remain convinced that I can still out-party a 13 year old!! Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, sounds great snowHead I have never been to Austria, quite like the sound of it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

That's assuming holiday skiers can be expected to know what powder looks like

Laughing Laughing Laughing Mind you, there is an irritating tendency for people to call all newly-fallen snow "powder" whereas patently some of it is just watery clag, not worthy to be called "powder".

If you can make a snowball with it, it ain't powder IMV.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, that´s "papschnee" here...and it will break yer legs Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, wrote
Quote:

If you can make a snowball with it, it ain't powder

+1 That's my definition to a 'T' exactly as the kids that were trying to yesterday were finding out. Very difficult to get it to compress to form a snowball or even get close.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yesterday we had our last lesson with our instructor and we went off piste for a very long time. The only part of the lesson we were on piste was when we had to catch a lift! snowHead Minimum_2 had a huge crash and ended up in a tree well, I came to the rescue and he got out and skied off again fine.
It snowed all of yesterday and we had about 8cm which was a good amount of snow.We also made fresh tracks and we got one of the first lifts. It was really fun and sometimes I couldn't even see my boots because they were under the snow.
Anyway got to go and ski again so will try and report again tonight.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kooky wrote:
pam w, that´s "papschnee" here...and it will break yer legs Shocked

I don't want to be in a snowball fight with you Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Today we met up with kooky and Scarpa, and we had a great time with them. Scarpa took us off piste through the trees while kooky nursed the old fogeys down a rather lumpy Rot8er! We even got to a ridge/mini cliff which we had to ski down! I was scared at first but once I did it I wanted to do it again! We went through trees and powder for ages and we are now knarly off piste skiers, because we did the powder handshake! The best bit was when we fell over because we didn't hurt ourselves we just got covered in powder snow. snowHead snowHead The area that we went off piste in was next to Rot8er run, if anybody out there loves off piste skiing.
We had a great time with kooky because we had a race with her to see who could reach a lift first and I think it was a draw. Very Happy It was really fun because there were lots of bumps on the piste and we went really fast!

Earlier this morning we went into the Auhofalm restaurant/bar and had ribs, chicken and chips and then for dessert we had Kaischersmarrn! The food there is lovely and the Kaischersmarrn didn't last very long at all! wink I saw a giant saucepan there and I don't think it would've fitted into bathtub, let alone a sink! Puzzled

I would just like to say a huge thank you to Scarpa and kooky for skiing with us because we both had a great time and enjoyed going down the runs really fast!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 21-02-13 18:30; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Minimum_1, loving your trip report! However, I expect to be skiing with Scarpa and kooky a bit next month and all this talk of trees and speed is making me feel rather nervous! Shocked
snow report
Minimum_1, you earnt those Gnarrrrr points BIG TIME today Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley the Powder handshake was a given!!!
Next time we race, I will race you to a bar........there is NO way you will get there before me! wink
It was a pleasure to ski with you both again, and don´t forget we have an off piste date in Zauchensee next year!!! xx
ski holidays
Pedantica, we will just stick to the powder handshakes and some ApresMusic Twisted Evil
latest report
Today we met up with Kooky and Scarpa and skied with them. Minimum _1 and I went off with Scarpa through the trees. I crashed when I skidded past a corner when I went too fast round it. We then came back to the piste and skied with the others. Us minimum’s skied ahead with Scarpa while Kooky helped FraserP and Megamum down the slope behind us.
There may be photographic evidence available later, of a certain snowHead part buried in the snow, unless Scarpa pays us lots of money. Toofy Grin Little Angel

I’d like to thank Kooky and Scarpa for skiing with us because it was fun and fast. Very Happy
ski holidays
kooky, Laughing I've got to remember not to sing along, though - am singing virtually all day, every day, 28 March-7 April inclusive, and if I lose my voice singing along with Austrian oompah immediately before that, I will be - erm - in rather a pickle. I can still dance, though! Toofy Grin

I'd love to ski with the Minima somewhere a bit more scenic than Hemel, which I've already had the pleasure of doing, but it sounds like they'd completely outski me now. Sad
ski holidays
Minimum_2,
Quote:

There may be photographic evidence available later, of a certain part buried in the snow, unless Scarpa pays us lots of money

Ooh, yes please! He's trying not to spend too much money, I believe, so you should be OK to post! Very Happy
latest report
excellent reports.I'm so envious ....
snow report
Pedantica, they have improved so much since last year!! Regular powderhounds now!!

Minimum_2, I double dare you to post THAT photo Twisted Evil
snow conditions
POST POST POST POST POST POST........................
latest report
Glad to hear you are all having such a great time snowHead. Austria is one of the (many) places I haven't skied yet.
snow report
Another great day, by the sound of it. Glad kooky was around to look after the old folks while you scarpered off through the trees.
latest report
I can't refuse such a polite request from Kooky.

snow report
pam w, I see what you did there!!! Geepee wants his Punmeister crown back!!!!! The old folk didn´t need any help, although there really was ice, proper pale blue ice on the last run down, and lots of it too Shocked
snow conditions
Minimum_2, BAWHAHAHAAA!!!!! MAN DOWN!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Minimum_1 and Minimum_2, excellent reports, sounds like you are both having a great time! Very Happy

Pleased to hear that you did some gnarly (pedagogical note: the first letter is a "g" not a "k" wink ) skiing with Scarpa, and that kooky was able to look after the "old fogeys"! Laughing

Oh, and if kooky is racing you to a bar my money is on her! wink Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
kooky wrote:
+1 Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, Laughing It´s thirsty work, is skiing! wink

Still lol ing here at your photo Minimum_2, !!! Schadenfreude is a wonderful thing Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Quote:

there really was ice, proper pale blue ice on the last run down, and lots of it too

the folk staying in my apartment explored some of the lower areas of the Arly Valley and said they found lots of ice today - not to mention very poor visibility and a few snowflakes, though the forecast showed sun all day. They are going to stay up in the higher areas for the rest of the week - they said there was no ice in Les Saisies.

Minimum_2, that photo is a cracker - well done. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Megamum, Minimum_2, Minimum_1, fabulous report, really enjoying hearing about your adventure! Glad you are experiencing 'proper' Austrian après in true Essex stylie!!
Just warming me up for my trip in 10 days time snowHead have fun and save some snow, gluhwein, Jaegermeister, kaiserschmarrn for me Toofy Grin
latest report
Well I think it is clear who has spent the last hour + cooking (cottage pie, and Christmas pudding!! and custard - now stuffed and couldn't ski if I wanted to tonight) whilst my offspring have pounced on the computers Laughing

We started early, were at the Achterjet as the doors opened and grabbed some of yesterdays snow fall bashed smooth at the top. It skied well, I fancy right at the top they may have had a light top-up post bash, but there wasn't much of it. It was a lovely sunny morning, but by about 2:30 it was starting to cloud over and when we came off the mountain there were a few light flakes starting to fall again. holidayloverxx, had obviously put in my snow order - overnight top ups and blue sky skiing days Madeye-Smiley

As reported above by my offspring Kooky and Scarpa were generous enough to give their time to come and ski with us, and Scarpa took the kids and gave them some opportunities to do some fun stuff through the trees. Something they can't do with me. Kooky nurse-maided us old folks down the somewhat mounded/lumpy Rot8er piste, Fraser being limited by dodgy knees, and myself limited by dodgy technique Laughing I would like to thank them both for giving everyone a fun afternoon and I'm sure the kids wouldn't say no to Kooky's offer next year if the conditions and time allow. I did smile at the kids making the production of a camera to take pictures their first priority when they realised that Scarpa was OK. Laughing This pair are obviously developing into a couple of first class snowheads snowHead I think their could be further evidence of the 'event' still to be posted Madeye-Smiley

Unfortunately the bar was packed tonight so we didn't manage to apres as there was no room, but at least we got home and the kids had a chance to post about their exploits. Very Happy

Last day tomorrow Sad

But, are already booked to return next year Very Happy
snow conditions
I just couldn't resist the urge to add my snapshot too! Laughing

latest report
It makes me wonder if we could have an entry for the SH 2014 Calendar in this thread Twisted Evil
snow report
I enjoyed skiing with the gang, and can confirm that both of the Mini's are developing some competent gnarl techniques. And as punishment for posting such scandalous photos I shall have to find you higher drop offs and deeper snow banks to play on Toofy Grin Then I may be able to get some pic's of my own. Revenge will be mine Twisted Evil
I actually got some good vid footage of the kids skiing but I'm afraid that I will not be able to send a copy for a while.
snow conditions
Pedantica wrote:
kooky wrote:
+1 Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

+2 class pic!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Only 1 week till I leave here to go to Radstadt Very Happy
Thanks minima for your reports. Enjoying them muchly (especially the photos Laughing )
ski holidays
Scarpa, looks like you are skiing with folks that are just too good for you mate Laughing
BTW it would have taken me all day to get out of there!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy