Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade 2013, Trip report for half term

Poster: A snowHead
So we are back from our first full day on the slopes. Yesterday, we were a bit late arriving so rather than go to Flachau winkle we stoppedshort and saved ourselves 10 minutes and skied the home hill (Flachau) which clearly had a fair smattering of fresh on Friday night. The pistes were well used by the time we got up top, with the fresh already well mounded, and awkward to ski as a result.

We went back up this morning and skied the full length of the back of the hill down to Wagrain. On the whole the pistes skied well, though all the pistes skied today did have the occasional scraped areas of pure blue ice showing through I was also surprised to see one or two places that had pulled up dirt into the top surfaes.

I was lucky yesterday and didn't fall off the new skis Happy Thoughh they are as stiff as my my Magfires Which I was. Not expecting. [Minimum 1] is planning to post for you all, but at the moment she is having proirise some work set by her teacers.

Apologies for errors, but I am using a tablet and the keyboard is limited.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, Probably just as well you gave Flachauwinkel a miss - kooky reported there were 47 coaches there when she arrived early and the queues were horrendous. At least skiing the home hill meant you could try the umbrella bar wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The children had their instructor today and reported having had a good time, going off piste, through the trees and down a black run with some ,moguls.

Late yesterday afternoon we enjoyed some apres in an umberellla bar at the foot of the achterjet, minimum_2 is an apres natural! Any suggestion that FraserP may have too many beers is likely to be vehermently denied by the man in question, but some of us know better.

We skied earlier today, and the freshly pisted slopes were lovely to ski. In my opinion they held up better today despite heavy trafic (it was very busy) I think the lack of fresh fall of snow stopped the mounding quite a much and the pistes remained flatter and more easily skiable as a result. This afternoon we took a turn down the World cup red, it is still an icier run than most, but I don't mind skiing it. I think a very icy holidayin Les Arcs a couple of years ago cured me of fearing ice LOL.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, it is the third day for us here in Flachau and everybody is back skiing like Gods. wink The snow is okay however some areas are extremely icy. The next new snow is due to arrive tomorrow with more on Wednesday! Very Happy

Minimum_2 and I had our first lesson today with an instructor, who took us off piste and through lots of powder. First of all we went up the Achter Jet then Star Jet 3 then straight across over to a black run. It was really steep but we managed it! After that we found some deep fresh snow that no-one else had found yet off piste, and we went skiing through it and made new tracks. It was really fun! There were one or two tumbles but nothing serious, just snow in our goggles and cold fingers! snowHead Laughing snowHead

Tomorrow there will be another update from Minimum_1 here in Flachau.

Update from our secret reporter:
Megamum seen in bar at the top of the Achter Jet, consuming several Gluweins and an apricot doughnut, all before 10:30am. Don't tell the fasting thread. (secret reporter also consumed the same)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm. "Several" gluweins and a donut before 1030? Sugar loading for the trials ahead? Sounds like a fun day. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Minimum_1, you want ice? Skied the world championship piste at Schladming today, first day they were open after the comp, was like a vertical ice rink, respect to the racers even the slow looking ones.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wonder why there's so much ice around (on ordinary pistes, not world championship ones) when there's been plenty of snow, and good cold weather?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I would agree. The snow reports suggest that snow fall has been regular and constant and I am surprised at this underlying layer that seems present. The fresh snow is a good few centimeters, even deep above it, but there does seem to be an underlying layer of very hard stuff that is def. glistening properly blue in places other than the world cup pistes. It seems to appear there the top layer has been scraped off, perhaps in very busy areas or where the snow boards do their big swooshy thing across the surfaces. At one point today I think I hit one of my rare properly carved turns right above a section of it and to say that I accelerated at some fair degree of knots would be something of an understatement!! Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
get ice with cold weather and traffic scraping and compressing it. It's been fairly cold for over a couple of weeks and most piste around here are north facing. Hasn't been large amounts of fresh for a week or so, a few small top ups. The off piste has generally been in great shape with soft untracked snow to be found, some crust on more south facing slopes.Pretty standard mid winter conditions I'd say.Ice will go with warmer spring weather or some major snowfall.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
waynos, There isn't huge amounts of it, and I have certainly seen much worse. It is just present on most of the pistes that we have skied so far both Flachau and Wagrain side, and as the day progresses and the top surface is pushed to one side I do find myself just watching for it as I ski and try to avoid clearly problematical patches of it. However, in comparison with some other trips, the surface as a whole is still great for most of it's length.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, it is not ice, it is compacted snow. particularly the artificial stuff. The volume of traffic simply compacts it regardless of how much falls.

Ice is shiny, rock hard and looks blue/black when the light is on it. However most holiday skiers do not know the difference and anything their skis do not easily cut into is called ice. A few seasons skiing in Scotland will soon teach the difference! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue, There were pretty big ice patches when we are at Reiteralm in January - yes they were real!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx, possibly from the race training pistes - remember Reiteralm is a premier training area for national teams.

But most of the "ice" people describe is actually boilerplate, hard heavily compacted snow. Good sharp edges and edge control make it easy enough to ski on, but not at all comfortable for the vast majority of skiers, that's why people call it ice! Occasional patches of real sheet ice are often closed off to prevent holiday skiers from hurting themselves.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

most of the "ice" people describe is actually boilerplate, hard heavily compacted snow

yes, I certainly agree with that - but megamum did talk about blue ice! I have very rarely seen proper ice in winter in all the time I've spent skiing, except very late in the season with a fierce melt/refreeze regime.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The polished snow in Austria generally seems to be below midstation and/or in very busy areas e.g. the top of Flachau down to the Space Jet 3 lift station. It is typical artificial snow hardness but in no way compares to the glacier ice I once slid down in Les Deux Alpes. It is the same colour as snow whereas ice usually has a darker hue. My skiing is far to crap to hold a good edge in the artificial hardpack but I can ski it, unlike ICE where pointing the skis straight down and waiting for some snow to come along seems to be the only method that works.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

ICE where pointing the skis straight down and waiting for some snow to come along seems to be the only method that works.

Agreed. Thought I'd cracked that on the glacier in Tignes, 18 months ago, and was very proud of myself for not getting spooked. It worked a treat, until skimottaret skied behind me yelling, 'turn, turn, TURN' every three seconds. It got a bit messy at that point! wink
latest report
I'm one of these weird people that loves icy hardback/boilerplate. You can all keep your slushy mashed potato and give me the hard stuff any day... Very Happy
latest report
I can't remember who the instructor was, but when I asked once during a lesson for his tip for skiing ice, he said "don't, give up early for the day and find a bar" Smile
latest report
my preferred method for ice (proper ice) unless it's a very gentle slope is a diagonal sideslip with both skis absolutely flat. On hard pack, all the weight on the one edge seems to work best - ie the complete opposite.
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
pam w, it is not ice, it is compacted snow. particularly the artificial stuff. The volume of traffic simply compacts it regardless of how much falls.
Ice is shiny, rock hard and looks blue/black when the light is on it. However most holiday skiers do not know the difference and anything their skis do not easily cut into is called ice. A few seasons skiing in Scotland will soon teach the difference! Toofy Grin
What a load of dangly bits! It was:- shiny, rock hard and looks blue/black when the light is on it. And I do know what i'm talking about.
Any more enlightening comments about the snow Sue?
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
Samerberg Sue, There were pretty big ice patches when we are at Reiteralm in January - yes they were real!
holidayloverxx Yes, it must be the same type of conditions we were on, no issues really, just an observation that we thought would be useful.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
The polished snow in Austria generally seems to be below midstation and/or in very busy areas e.g. the top of Flachau down to the Space Jet 3 lift station. It is typical artificial snow hardness but in no way compares to the glacier ice I once slid down in Les Deux Alpes. It is the same colour as snow whereas ice usually has a darker hue. My skiing is far to crap to hold a good edge in the artificial hardpack but I can ski it, unlike ICE where pointing the skis straight down and waiting for some snow to come along seems to be the only method that works.
Frosty the Snowman, It was just like the stuff in LDA, but only in a few patches of it. Lots of hard packed but that's really kids stuff and not worth any consideration. in the general scheme of things.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Quote:
However most holiday skiers do not know the difference and anything their skis do not easily cut into is called ice

TBH I rather resent the implication that a degree level chemist can't tell the difference between compacted snow and ice. Holiday skier I certainly am, but we are not a lower life form, and I have more than sufficient experience of skiing ICE to know when I have seen it. Good Lord! It shouldn't be necessary for me to post a ruddy picture of the stuff to be believed!!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 19-02-13 21:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Megamum, I believe you; there are often patches of proper ice at the top of the Star (or is it space) jet 3 - the one to the left of the Achterjet; small enough just to slide over and turn when you get to snow. In fact I think I have probably seen real ice in most resorts in odd patches.
ski holidays
Now, shall we get back to the half term blog? What did the minimums get up to today?
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
TBH I rather resent the implication that a degree level chemist can't tell the difference between compacted snow and ice. Holiday skier I certainly am, but we are not a lower life form, and I have more than sufficient experience of skiing ICE to know when I have seen it. Good Lord! It shouldn't be necessary for me to post a ruddy picture of the stuff to be believed!!

LIKE Very Happy
snow report
Today we woke up at about six o’clock this morning which I didn’t want to do and I took a little time to get up and at ‘em. However when we got to the Achterjet the door was only just opening!

The weather today was cold and extremely windy which blew the snow down the mountain making icy patches down most of the slopes. Apart from the cold weather there was a clear sky which was nice for skiing and taking photos. Minimum_1’s hands got really cold so we had to buy her new snowboard gloves!

Today we spent a lot of time on the Flachau side of things but we go close to the edge of the resort when we went down to Starjet 1 by going down the world cup run.

We went to the umbrella apres bar at the bottom of the Achterjet. We went crazy there, drinking drinks, dancing and singing. We even got an applause after each dance! Very Happy

Might post again. snowHead
ski holidays
Minimum_2, I hope your sister's hands are better tomorrow - have you got any of those warming tea bag things? If not, buy her some - she'll love you forever.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Minimum_2, I hope your sister's hands are better tomorrow - have you got any of those warming tea bag things? If not, buy her some - she'll love you forever.

Laughing Luckily we found a pack for her and we've got more for tomorrow. But sisters can be funny sometimes when it comes to loving brothers for ever. wink
snow conditions
Quote:

But sisters can be a funny sometimes when it comes to loving brothers for ever.

yes, I guess you're right!!
ski holidays
Minimum_2, I love that umbrella bar! the music is great fun!
snow conditions
Minimum_2 wrote:
pam w wrote:

Laughing Luckily we found a pack for her and we've got more for tomorrow. But sisters can be funny sometimes when it comes to loving brothers for ever. wink

Yes brothers can be the same... wink

Today some patches of snow were very icy and other patches not quite so much. At the tops of some of the lifts the wind chill was freezing. That's where I needed hand warmers. However I now have a new pair of gloves which may be snowboarding gloves, but are incredibly warmer. Sorry I can't write much more as I was out Apres skiing for over 2 hours! snowHead wink
ski holidays
Sounds like good fun! I like the sound of your lesson snowHead
snow report
Anyhow, back to a report for today. We got going really early today and were at the Achterjet as it opened. A light breeze at the bottom developed into a howling gale at the top, but you didn't have to go so far to drop out of it. I fancy it was windier on the Wagrain side than on the Flachau side. We went over a lot of the mountain and had a lovely ski down the world cup run which is rapidly becoming my favourite run in the resort. It is nicely flat, hard, compact (more compact than ice today as they had bashed a top surface onto it), it has few people on it and I thought it was skiing really well today.

This evening we went to the umbrella bar near the foot of the Achterjet. The Minimums have become local stars gaining a round of applause from the entire bar for their performance of Gangnam style, and Minimum_2 endeared himself to many with a solo effort to the Blues brothers 'Everybody loves somebody'. It was a good night............. it must have been a good night - FraserP was even seen to dance the twist!! Shocked
ski holidays
queen bodecia, the WM run at Schladming is open now - and unaltered - PERFECT for you! I took the gondala down! Ange x Very Happy
ski holidays
Megamum, that sounds like a great day. snowHead
ski holidays
Megamum, Sounds fab snowHead
ski holidays
Great stuff - excellent posts all round! Very Happy
snow conditions
Last night we had some snow (2-3 inches at least).
Today we are having our ski lesson with our instructor. I expect it to be fun with all the fresh snow off piste and on.

Just looked out of the window and its still snowing. Very Happy
snow report
Minimum_2, Get in the powder!!!! Madeye-Smiley Loving your reports, singing and dancing in the umbrella bars eh!!!! Good on you Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley I am going to pop over this afternoon, hopefully catch up with you all if my old legs can stand it!!!!! xx
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy