Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Security at Amsterdam......GET YOUR HANDS UPS!

Poster: A snowHead
I flew through Amsterdam last week and at security, they have a new machine (new to me anyway) where you have to enter and stand still and ironically, you have to put hour hands up in the air in a surrender position while the machine works it's magic to identify lumps on your person (the machine identifies them on a computermebob version of your body on a screen, I had things in my pockets; passport and wallet and they showed up as arrows).

So the security guy has to ask far reaching questions like "what's that"? points at my pocket "my wallet"......."what's that"? Points at other pocket "my passport" all deeply searching stuff but the fact the machine makes you stand still with your hands up is a little unnerving and perhaps unnecessary? I suppose it will be standard in a couple of years but it still wound me up (especially as you can fly into Amsterdam airport from Nairobi with 3 cans of coke, a set of pliers and a leatherman in your hand luggage.... Toofy Grin)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Same machine in a lot of US airports as well now. Does make yopu feel a bit of a plonker.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
UK one has you put your feet in a spread position and lean hands on the wall in the traditional pat down position. big feet and hands drawn to guide you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That is what is called the infamous body scanner.

Much better then taking my heavy walking boots off which always set off the metal detector type of gate, but usually go through the body scanner without hassle.
When the scanner does detect something you don't get a complete patdown either, just the indicated spot.

Can all airports use them please?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had a great one some years ago at Brussels Eurostar terminal on my way back from a ski trip, they xrayed my coat and then asked me what an item in my pocket was, it was the two steel heel baby crampons that I'd had to wear the night before because of the ice on the station platform, where they were together in my pocket they looked a lot like a set of handcuffs to the x-ray operator, once I showed them what it was everything was smiles all around Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I remember the days when I used to fly to Denver with my ice climbing axes and crampons as hand luggage
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
madmole wrote:
UK one has you put your feet in a spread position and lean hands on the wall in the traditional pat down position. big feet and hands drawn to guide you.

They have on of these at Manchester. Standing in it always makes me want to do Marcel Marsaud impressions Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Back in the day I used to fly with a knife or two - don't ask. They were expensive and I did not want to lose them so I always arranged to get the check-in desk to give them to an air hostess who would put them in the Pilot's cabin. One day I got to the airport and they had changed the rules. Apparently arming the Pilots was now considered dangerous - I didn't enquire as to who was in danger. About a year later they stopped me taking a set of 2 x personal comm’s kit on board even though I had popped the batteries and put them in my luggage so they were useless. For some reason they are now considered dangerous and, no, I couldn't put them in the Pilot's cabin. People were merrily calling away on mobiles, 13 to the dozen, but I get pinged for two unpowered walkie-talkies. I pointed out that nearly all the mobiles in sight could be used as comm’s kit. The immigration guy started, looked around and mumbled the immortal words ‘Yeah - but they’re different, aren’t they?’ ‘How?’ I asked. He got annoyed.

These Pilots seem to be a danger when armed with anything!

Next time I go to the USA, I'll carry a burnt match in front of me through customs and immigration - 10/1 I'll get a tug for possession of a firearm and a belt buckle.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pervs at Manchester sent me through one. No arrows pointing at the two biggest things in my sweater though Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just wish I could walk through a scanner carrying all my clobber. I hate all the unloading and reloading of computers, tablets, pocket, belt, shoes, toiletries…
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, Spot on!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Experienced this scanner a few times at Schiphol when I used to commute there every week.

Best time was when I was flying on my birthday. The guy at the intial boarding card / passport check spotted the date and said Happy Birthday. He must have then called the gate to let them know (with a fairly accurate description of me) as, when I was standing in the scanner, all of the security stopped what they were doing to sing Happy Birthday!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Amsterdam have had these scanners for quite a bit now - in fact it was the first airport I saw them at after they were initially introduced.

I remember at that time there was some concern that the security guards were catching a view of your dangly bits....

A Lurker, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
pervs at Manchester sent me through one. No arrows pointing at the two biggest things in my sweater though Laughing
Contrary to popular belief they can't actually see your bits on the one in Manchester. Mind you by all accounts your fully clothed versions are pretty impressive and obvious Laughing Laughing wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Does make yopu feel a bit of a plonker

well as long as the security guards don't feel a bit of your plonker, I wouldn't worry
ski holidays
I did the "Tragedy!" at Manchester last year.....felt a right idiot
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy