Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10-year-old girl killed in Mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
Pedantica wrote:
James the Last wrote:
Very sad indeed.

Lucky she was wearing a helmet.
You really are a twerp.

+100
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So sad, I cannot begin to imagine how those parents are feeling.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
James the Last, poor taste jibe very insensitive. For all you know her parents and friends are Snowheads and may read your ill placed comment. Have a think about it Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very sad thoughts go out to the family
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can somebody explain why I have been flamed?

Would it have been better for the parents if she hadn't been wearing a helmet? Something I'm missing here.

In amongst all the 'if onlys' that the parents will be having will not be 'I wish I'd made sure she was wearing a helmet.'
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
James the last - what a complete prat you are. Engage brain before hitting the key board - I find your quip offensive. My sympathies to the poor girls family.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
James the Last wrote:

If it really needs explaining, then here goes. A small girl wearing appropriate safety gear has died. It was not a question of luck or otherwise that she was wearing a helmet. Nothing about this incident could tastefully be described as "lucky".

If it still needs explaining then I would suggest you find a really sensible friend and talk it through offline.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 12-02-13 20:03; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How sad. Full of sorrow for this family.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think he has made it clear that he was not doing it maliciously, so let's give James the Last a break eh?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
James the Last wrote:

If you wrote something that could be interpreted as being insensitive and antagonistic, and that was not your intent at all, perhaps it might be an idea to rewrite it. Especially if everyone other than yourself sees exactly that meaning.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
God awful, having a daughter of the same age i find this heartbreaking....I really feel for this family.

Ps. i wondered how long it would take for someone to mention helmets! Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
James the Last, maybe you are not a parent or have no experience of such things but their "what ifs" and the "if onlys" and the "why didn't we" and the host of other regrets associated with all aspects of the poor girl's short life, will literally haunt them and dog them for life probably. Whether a helmet was involved is a very long way down the totem pole. Fact is, they DID equip her with a helmet, but I imagine they are more focussed on events that led up to the accident.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
James the Last, After I write this I'll ask for this thread to be removed and we can start again Evil or Very Mad

Because unless English is not your first language and you have empathy for the situation, you do not imply ANY sort of 'luck' involved in the death of a child. I cannot describe to you how angry your ignorant, crass and morally corrupt your statement makes me. If you are too stupid to realise what you have said and cannot find a reason in either you heart or your head for saying what you have for you to remove it then you are utterly worthless as a human being.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, I see no reason to remove the thread, but every reason for James the Last to be given the opportunity to review and amend his comments.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A terrible tragedy. We only came back from there on Saturday and saw lots of excited children & their families arriving for what they hoped would be a fabulous holiday. So, so sad.
snow report
James the Last wrote:

Would it have been better for the parents if she hadn't been wearing a helmet? Something I'm missing here.

In amongst all the 'if onlys' that the parents will be having will not be 'I wish I'd made sure she was wearing a helmet.'

FFS, its because you brought the helmet debate into a tragic thread. What this poor child was wearing was totally irrelevant and any decent person can see that, a ten year old has lost her life and her parents are going to be going through hell. Think on.
snow conditions
Masque, Corduroy, please go easy. Please let's not turn it into an attack on James the Last - there may be reasons why he does not understand why his remarks would be seen as tasteless/inappropriate.

This started as, and is still, a thread about a dreadful tragedy.
latest report
This is horrific, can't imagine what the parents are going through.
latest report
Rip
snow report
Poor child poor family,

Motorcyclists wear helmets but if they hit a static object at speed their chances are not good,so I see no point in stating the obvious unless your trying to antagoise people,which you have.

Rip little girl

And Masque don't read this thread as I,m sure you won't rest easy tonight.
snow report
Sad We'll all be giving our loved ones an extra hug tonight. You just can't begin to imagine what it must be like for the family. Tragic.
ski holidays
James the Last, you've been flamed because your post was ill concieved and insensitive. The way I see it it could only ever be construed in two ways, either a misguided quip attempting to be tongue in cheek about the tiresome subject of helmets or you genuinely think that the parents will feel at some point that it was lucky she had a helmet coz if she didn't they would feel terrible.

Either way your timing and thinking were way off line for me as their grief will be nothing short of tortuous and life changing forever and if it were me I wouldn't give a monkeys what she was wearing coz so very sadly she is dead. As per my initial retort, her family or friends could read this at some point and I suspect they'd find your comment unsavoury.

Hopefully that answers your question JTL and I'm sure you didn't mean harm with any malice but it's fair to point out your mistake and for folks to react negatively. Contrition would be better than to plead "what did I say to deserve flaming?"
snow report
I have two girls, the eldest will be 10 this year. The parents must be going through hell at this moment in time. I'm just glad they won't also have people chasing them about helmet regulations or even worse some sort of conviction for negligence saying they were in someway responsible for the extent of the poor girl's injuries. I'd hate to go through life thinking my daughter might have lived if I'd only got her to wear a ski helmet, at least they are spared this torture.

Life can sometimes be so cruel and no parent should have to bury their child, especially because of a freak ski accident.
snow conditions
Corduroy, unfortunately, I wondered the same, but then immediately determined that there wouldn't be anyone on SH's stupid enough to do so. I was very disappointed to see I was wrong. Surely the poster has been around this place for long enough now IMO to realise it wasn't the right thing to say and why. My thoughts are with the family - what a tragic happening on a family holiday.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 12-02-13 23:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
How awful ,what a terrible tragedy Sad
latest report
How terribly sad. I feel so sorry for her family.
ski holidays
This tragic accident is a reminder that a family trip to a ski resort is not the same as a family trip to a Disneyland.
snow conditions
DB wrote:
The parents must be going through hell at this moment in time. I'm just glad they won't also have people chasing them about helmet regulations or even worse some sort of conviction for negligence saying they were in someway responsible for the extent of the poor girl's injuries. I'd hate to go through life thinking my daughter might have lived if I'd only got her to wear a ski helmet, at least they are spared this torture.

Life can sometimes be so cruel and no parent should have to bury their child, especially because of a freak ski accident.

I may be reading it wrong but this is exactly how I read James TL's post. Albeit a little tersely. I think people are overreacting to him.

Anyway, I really feel for the parents. Sympathies.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
never summer, I thought about that earlier. However, I determined that a tragic accident can happen to any of us at any time, whether we drive on the road, ski, swim, ride, sail or even ride a rollercoaster etc.. If you took that attitude you wouldn't go anywhere and enjoy time with your children. There is nothing that anyone can say to make the loss of this life any easier, but it is certainly no-one's fault for taking the family skiing and it would be very self destructive if any family member went through that thought chain. I think, from what little we know, it was just a tragic accident. Lets give all our kids an extra hug tonight.
snow report
This is so sad, I am not a parent but have skied with my friends little boys (6 & 4) and cant imagine what the poor girls parents are going through.

RIP
snow report
Quote:

Lets give all our kids an extra hug tonight.

indeed. We should never believe that such tragedies only happen to other people - as Megamum says, an accident can happen at any time and take children away - or parents away, for that matter, when least expected. It certainly shouldn't mean we don't go skiing, or climbing, or sailing, or whatever. But it does mean we should never take our lives for granted. Extra hugs all round. I'm just watching a girl on the news - 21, with cystic fibrosis, who needs a heart/lung transplant. Some people are losing children who could be saved, because so few people sign up to donate organs - how wonderful that in the midst of their grief this family have given somebody else a chance to avoid losing a loved one.

What possible excuse can there be for not being on the register? If the people expressing sadness and sympathy about this little girl's death are not on the register, they ought to think hard about whether their words are just empty sentiment.
snow report
Quote:

I guess she was just going far too fast for her ability.

I think with kids it is sometimes the lack of fear coupled with lack of experience. My daughter a couple of years ago skied straight off the piste with me skiing as fast as I could after her watching her line and screaming 'turn, turn'. She disappeared over the edge and it was a truly sickening moment. She was thankfully OK and landed on a huge snow drift (but we did need a passing ski instructor to help us extract her from it as she was a couple of metres off piste in knee deep snow). This is a child who knows how to turn and frankly technically skis better than me but she got out of control and did not have the wisdom/experience to get herself back into control.

I feel so desperately sorry for this family it is a tragic tragic accident.
latest report
J9, sounds so familiar, I have seen my friend racing to catch up with his young daughter as she obliviously went faster and faster. She's grown out of it now but at the time had no concept of fear or how horribly wrong it could go. For her it was about fun, speed and going faster than her dad.
There but for the grace of god. Sad
snow conditions
I've skied with my two daughters since they were little.

A few scary close escapes.

I really feel for the family.

That could happen to any of us.

Sad
snow report
This is truly awful and my sympathy is with the family. But sometimes we need more than sympathy - we need to learn from mistakes.

I fully accept that skiing is inherently risky, but I'm not sure that the skiing industry is as good at mitigating risk as it could be. For example, was the piste grading accurate (don't we all know of many inappropriately graded slopes)? Was it wide enough for the amount of traffic it receives? Have there been other near-misses in that location that would have suggested that protective netting or padding might have been a good idea? Was the grooming of a sufficiently high standard given the run's grade, or had it been allowed to ice up unacceptably? Did the child lose control after being frightened by other skiers speeding nearby? Should there have been warning signs to alert the parents to a need for extra caution? Should ski patrol have closed the run if conditions made it dangerous on that particular day?

It's been nearly 20 years since I skied in Mayrhofen, but my abiding memory is of being absolutely terrified on a particularly steep tree-lined sheet of polished ice that was laughably graded red. Is that problem still common in Mayrhofen, and could it have contributed on this occasion?
ski holidays
I've had to absolutely Franz Klammer it in front of Pie Jr and deliberately trip him up a few times, when he's been out of control. Makes you think dunnit...
snow report
Mr Piehole wrote:
I've had to absolutely Franz Klammer it in front of Pie Jr and deliberately trip him up a few times, when he's been out of control. Makes you think dunnit...

Far too many times I've seen kids pointing straight down the slope in that horribly ineffective snowplough, unable to reduce speed or regain control, just getting faster and faster... They (and many adults too) lack the experience in this situation to just sit down to the side to stop, and instead try to stay on their feet which just makes the situation get worse and worse...

Obviously no idea if that's what happened here, but there's little that makes you feel more helpless than watching an out of control kid screaming down towards trees/netting/pylons/etc...
ski holidays
The report says snow conditions were good at the time so probably wouldn't warrant piste closure. Not much else is known - which run etc.- and family are the only people who knew the circumstances, so we can only speculate. Generally it's not expected that a skier will exit the piste markers unwillingly or will ski out of control. Makes these kind of accidents really hard to digest and I feel really sorry for parents.
snow report
Jonny Jones, the conditions in mayrhofen over the last week have been very good and so think unfortunately it is just a tragic accident.

I know what you mean about slope grading. I have a few friends that don't ski blacks, however in reality there is little difference from a lot of the reds but have less traffic, meaning better snow conditions and so in a lot of cases actually easier to ski.
ski holidays
You can see why ski instructors always ski in front and insist that kids stay behind them. "Follow me" is much derided but has its points. I well remember, many years ago, doing short turns down a red slope, just behind an instructor who insisted I kept no more than a few metres, and no less than a few metres, behind him. I found it quite hard as I found the slope quite steep and my normal pace would have been quicker, and less controlled - a few slightly panicky and incomplete turns probably followed by a skiddy stop or a great swoop across the slope to slow down a bit.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy