Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Debutant

Poster: A snowHead
Happychap, Where was the "bending ze kneez"?????
Stop poncing around and put some effort in!! I wanna see less shoulder turn and more pressure on that outside ski, boyo Laughing
Keep up with regular lessons; the more you put in, the quicker they'll payoff.

Here's a tip...don't take any tips from online backseat skiers wink
Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice to see the video edited together to show the progress you made during the session Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
Nice to see the video edited together to show the progress you made during the session Very Happy

+1 well-edited. I thought you did that for him.
It's nice to see the progression coz sometimes we might not see it in ourselves over a period of time / runs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ALQ wrote:
Happychap, Where was the "bending ze kneez"?????
Stop poncing around and put some effort in!! I wanna see less shoulder turn and more pressure on that outside ski, boyo Laughing

+1 ^^^ snowHead Laughing Laughing NehNeh

Eat more snow!!!

Don't worry. I was told I skied like a robot who didn't want to be there!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franzClammer wrote:

Don't worry. I was told I skied like a robot who didn't want to be there!!

That's such a good description of the old FC
Except I would add that the 'robot' was being chased by imperial tie-fighters Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/XywAD0x_Wa8&feature=share&list=UU4coOtm3L-lGemrxPicj-Jw
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ALQ wrote:

That's such a good description of the old FC
Except I would add that the 'robot' was being chased by imperial tie-fighters Laughing

Up The Rebel Alliance!!
Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They don't like it up 'em, ya know! Laughing

Got dizzy just watching. You put in some smooth turns at 8:00, despite no pole planting wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
franzClammer, so, one minute of skiing footage and seven minutes of pointless failed 360 attempts. I think debutant needs a new mentor! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Raceplate wrote:
franzClammer...pointless failed 360 attempts. I think debutant needs a new mentor! Toofy Grin

You mean debucant?? wink wink
Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Raceplate, that's why we all like franzClammer's vids....just a tad bonkers Laughing

I'm waiting for him to start riding switch from halfway down Madeye-Smiley .... for which he needs more exotic 'medicinal' vegetation, me lud.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Raceplate wrote:
franzClammer, so, one minute of skiing footage and seven minutes of pointless failed 360 attempts. I think debutant needs a new mentor! Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing Have you ever tried stopping a "kid playing with a new toy!" (no dis Haps, my 180's are pretty pointless too NehNeh )

And after all, several pointless minutes in a fridge now n then during the start of a skiing career is not such a loss aye wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
franzClammer,
Quote:

Have you ever tried stopping a "kid playing with a new toy!"

Yeah, but do we need to see it??? After the 2 odd hours I spent analysing your lousy posture the other week, that's another 7 minutes of my life you owe me! Razz
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raceplate wrote:

Yeah, but do we need to see it??? After the 2 odd hours I spent analysing your lousy posture the other week, that's another 7 minutes of my life you owe me! Razz

What! My hand in marriage not enough for you?..... Laughing
Hows the knee coming on?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
franzClammer,
Quote:

Hows the knee coming on?

Surprisingly well. Hope that doesn't put the hex on it. Think there's a fair chance of me skiing completely normally this winter IF (big if) I can rebuild my strength and stamina. Maybe we'll have a ski together in the 3v's one day.

BTW stop trying to turn and pressure your skis by bobbing your chest up and down. You're supposed to control them with your legs.

Your posture from the waist down has improved considerably (especially ankle flex/knee position - would like to see your thighs a little more upright for forwards projection but it's not a big deal) but above the waist is still awful.

Get your hands up and wide! Your wrists are supposed to be wider than your elbows and your forearm parallel to the ground. Your elbows should be forward of the line of your rib cage.

Your wrists look like they're tied to your knees with a foot long piece of string; reminds me of Kevin the Teenager Very Happy

You'll be amazed how much easier it is to transfer weight from ski to ski (and keep it on the outside ski) with a wide, forward arm position. Watch any high end skiing video (like the Cream of Skiing Skills vid on P12 of your thread) and look at their arms compared to yours - they're not doing that for show; it's because it's a massive aid to both lateral balance and fore/aft balance. Took me years to get the arms message into my own thick skin, I'm giving you a head start wink
snow report
Raceplate wrote:
Get your hands up and wide! Your wrists are supposed to be wider than your elbows and your forearm parallel to the ground. Your elbows should be forward of the line of your rib cage.
That seems excessively prescriptive, and I'm pretty sure that I rarely carry my arms like that. Providing the skier is able to make effective pole plants should we really care about their arm carriage?
snow conditions
rob@rar,
Quote:

That seems excessively prescriptive
Not really. This is the internet so descriptions have to be thorough to get the message across. If I was teaching him face to face I'd just move his arms into that position as a reference point and let him adapt from there. But this is distance learning so I need to describe it thoroughly instead so he can stand in front of a mirror and work it out for himself. It answers the 3 main questions I get regarding hand/arm position of "how high/wide/far forward should they be?"

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that I rarely carry my arms like that
You may not, but you're an extremely experienced skier who has developed your own effective technique/position. That's fair enough if it's effective.

But franzClammer's an inexperienced skier who clearly has a problem with pole planting and dropping both hands into a narrow position at the end of his turns, which is affecting his balance. He needs a reference point from which to develop and that's my description of the reference arm position I was given on my last BASI refresher.

I actually made a conscious effort to change after that refresher because the Trainer said BASI had changed their opinion on wrist/elbow width. They used to recommend that elbows should be wider than wrists but now they believe it's more effective for wrists to be (just a little) wider than elbows. I made that adjustment to my own stance and it's definitely improved my lateral balance.

Quote:

Providing the skier is able to make effective pole plants should we really care about their arm carriage?
Not if it's effective and producing the desired output. If it isn't effective, you need a basic reference point to start again. Same reason you do any skiing drill. I'd have thought you'd know that wink
snow report
Im with Rob on this one , hand carriage is the least of FC's problems and in general I think us basi types worry about it too much and it is usually only a secondary issue and rarely a root cause of problems. Heck i can ski with my hands on my head, behind my back, flapping all round and it doesnt make a whole lot of difference... His balance is actually pretty good, a lack of appropriate movements is more the root problem...
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
Not if it's effective and producing the desired output. If it isn't effective, you need a basic reference point to start again. Same reason you do any skiing drill. I'd have thought you'd know that wink
I'd focus on the problem (a lack of an effective pole plant) rather than trying to get a skier to adopt a fixed position where joints are in particular position with reference to each other. To me that would replace one fixed position with another, slightly different, fixed position, when what is required is movement. Plenty of drills you can use to help a skier make effective pole plants, but in the first instance they need to make a pole plant on each turn. That's enough to focus on without worrying about whether wrists are outside elbows and whether forearms are parallel to the snow.
latest report
rob@rar, Laughing Laughing Laughing Make's me feel good that does Madeye-Smiley
latest report
every little helps aye, but this thread was about Happychap...... rolling eyes .....lol
snowHead
latest report
Raceplate wrote:

Quote:

Providing the skier is able to make effective pole plants should we really care about their arm carriage?

Lost in all the quotes but it seems to me there are a couple of questions here - does "good" arm position beget good stance or does good stance beget good arm position? And does a fixed model help someone who inclines to the frozen (not saying this is the case here)?

I always think arm carriage is a fair sign of how someone is skiing - i.e. you could show me a clip of someone from the waist up and I'd have a fair clue as to what level they were actually skiing at, including someone like skimottaret who might be deliberately doing something different for a particular drill. In some cases you can even guess their nationality (looking at you Canadians wink). But it must be specific to the individual whether focusing on it provides a step change in or a distraction from the area of improvement immediately "needed".

The idea that anyone worries about whether elbows inside or outside wrists has a major impact on skiing performance seems like microweenieing at its finest and to me there may be far easier fixes to start with than this refinement like skiing with poles 5cm shorter (awesome for immediately improving bumps performance IME - I might make it one of my magic tenents of my Plain English New Improved Skiing methodology TM).
latest report
fatbob, for me it's about movement not position, and I wholeheartedly agree that it needs to be specific to the individual.

A chap I trained with last season also said that changing his pole length made a big difference to his bumps skiing, although he went longer than normal and he said it stopped him collapsing at the waist so he was better able to absorb the hits.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I can see that - my logic was that a longer pole is harder to punch with and more inclined to be left marginally behind, opening the shoulder in the wrong direction and making me progressively later for each turn.
latest report
fatbob, yup, just shows that outside of core technical competence there is plenty of scope for individuality to be apparent in skiing.
snow report
rob@rar, It'd still be a stretch to describe me as core technically competent in moguls. Maybe some soft fluffy ones like in the CSIA video.
latest report
fatbob, me too, if the bumps are very mean. Which is why worrying about arm position is rather pointless.
latest report
Happychap, I am really impressed! My first week or so of skiing was nothing like yours! I spent most of my first learning on my face in snow drifts, or scaring the living daylights out of my companians, for pointing my skis downhill and going for it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raceplate wrote:
franzClammer,
Quote:

Have you ever tried stopping a "kid playing with a new toy!"

Ok so firstly point taken no more pointless failed 360 vids and secondly
I will now ensure all vids come with a disclaimer,( this is a pointless clip of a novice skier, if watching pointless vids and wasting your time offends you Do NOT WATCH )
snow conditions
Neraida wrote:
Happychap, I am really impressed! My first week or so of skiing was nothing like yours! I spent most of my first learning on my face in snow drifts, or scaring the living daylights out of my companians, for pointing my skis downhill and going for it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence I am truly unsure how well I am doing, in a sense for me it is all still new and exciting so having an opportunity to compare with others is a nice way of confirming progress,. it seams challenging to get positive critisim on here as it seams most of em are poo-poo hot skiers who must have forgot what's its like starting out at such a late age 😄
latest report
Happychap, Are you off again this coming season? Would be interested to see how you've progressed and if you've gained the confidence to loosen up a bit. I enjoyed your video. Any made of me when I first started out would only have been suitable for You've been framed Smile
snow report
I am hopefully off to meribel in jan with franz, yes I would also like to know if these Hemel sessions will actually make a difference out on the slopes, I do feel more confident in myself, deffo more confidence than competence, next trip with my gained confidence and still lack of competence there will be far more you been framed footage I feel lol Very Happy
snow conditions
Am looking at beginner lessons at Hemel for a friend at the mo. He's not skiied before, but has been press-ganged into coming out for a week with us this winter. Did you have any lessons there?
latest report
No lesson until the other week with IOS 😊really usefull and it appears I should have had some at the start, would have far few bad habits now lol. I will have some more lessons at Hemel before my next trip so should have so much more fun and less time worrying about crashing in to people or skiing off the side of the mountain or find myself on black runs lol, I really could not snowplough on day one. How long have you been skiing for Neraida.
ski holidays
You're not alone! I couldn't snow plough at all, it hurt too much.
I have skiied on and off for a long time. Loads as a child, then lived in Greece for years and got hooked on hang-gliding until I left and came to the UK, then back to skiing again.
I found private lessons with a great school whilst on holiday helped me hugely. I still like to go out an instructor for a day or so Very Happy
snow conditions
Where are you off this winter I am dictated by annual leave intitlement therefore the opportunity of a week in December can not happen 😢so jan in merribel hopefully for me I am amazed at how addictive it becomes as the skill increases, lol
snow conditions
January for me too, to Arc 1950, then March. Not decided where for the second trip. Already bouncing off the walls hehehe.
latest report
It will come soon enough in the mean time Hemel is great for a play Very Happy
latest report
FYI
Inside Out don't usually work with complete beginners
But there are some very competent staff at Hemel that instruct Beginners.
It's much better IMO to get instruction & practice on snow instead of plastic
snow conditions
franzClammer wrote:
FYI
Inside Out don't usually work with complete beginners
But there are some very competent staff at Hemel that instruct Beginners.
It's much better IMO to get instruction & practice on snow instead of plastic

So does that mean I am not a beginner anymore then as I had a lesson with em a few weeks ago Confused
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy