Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sod the hot tubs n apres... Where can I ski at Night ???

Poster: A snowHead
Powderseeker, there is a way to post thumbnails of your pictures so you don't screw up the text for everyone else...thankyou
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
Powderseeker, there is a way to post thumbnails of your pictures so you don't screw up the text for everyone else...thankyou

All ok on both of my pc's and iPad but point noted for future and hopefully now edited and fixed

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 31-01-13 20:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Deux Alpes have a monthly full moon skiing session. I can't comment on what it's like though - usually tucked up in a bottle.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

You obviously won't be insured, and it's often frowned upon, but is it actually illegal?

it's illegal where I ski because there are local bye-laws. That won't always be the case, obviously.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Powderseeker, thank you!! was screwing my iPad (I may have my view on different settings from you... anyway, thanks again!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999,
I've seen signs which have said it's "Verboten", i.e. people are not allowed to use the pistes after a certain time.

As pam_w says it's very much dependent on local laws.

DB wrote:
Be careful when skiing pistes that are not officilay open at night, in some resorts it is ilegal and you could be hit by a piste basher. There could also be insurance implications in the event of an accident.

In Zauchensee and Obertauern you could end up with a €500 fine for skiing on closed pistes during the night (apllicable to both Alpine skiers and ski tourers).

Quote:
Nach dem Après-Ski nachts noch schnell die Piste hinunterwedeln, wird in manchen Skigebieten künftig verboten sein. In Zauchensee oder Obertauern existiert nach dem Liftbetrieb schon ein Fahrverbot.

Kommende Skisaison gilt eine Erweiterung des Landespolizeigesetzes, die es Gemeinden erlaubt nächtliches Skifahren zu verbieten. Sowohl Skifahrer als auch Tourengeher, die oft bei Vollmond und mit Stirnlampen unterwegs sind, müssen sich an die Regelung halten.

500 Euro Strafe
Wer das Verbot ignoriert und auf frischer Tat dabei ertappt wird, muss mit bis zu 500 Euro Strafe rechnen. Allerdings wird die Einhaltung des Gesetzes nicht von der Polizei überwacht werden. Darum müssen sich die Gemeinden selbst kümmern. Liftbedienstete können Skifahrer aber bei der Gemeinde anzeigen. Die Seilbahnbetreiber hatten für ein derartiges Gesetz Druck gemacht. Ihnen geht es insbesondere darum, dass sie nach Unfällen besser gegen Schadenersatzklagen abgesichert sind. Ihnen war es im Speziellen um eine Sperre jener Pisten gegangen, auf denen Pistengeräte angeseilt den Schnee präparieren. Die bis zu 1500 Meter langen Seile seien vielfach nicht sichtbar und für die Skifahrer lebensgefährlich.

„Abzocke“
Von Seiten des Alpenvereins wird die Abstrafung der Nachtfahrer als „Abzocke“ bezeichnet. Denn: Skipisten seien Forstfläche und sollten daher für jeden kostenlos betretbar bleiben.

Genau dieses Recht verhinderte bisher ein derartiges Verbot. Nicht betroffen sind natürlich ausgewiesene Flutlichtpisten.

http://www.oe24.at/reise/Nacht-Skifahren-wird-bestraft/30572

http://www.alpenverein.it/de/skitourenfreunde/verhalten-auf-pisten-140.html
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, weren't these bans introduced after a couple of pissheads got killed skiing down pistes after spending too long in the huts? I can see why the resorts did this to be honest. I can remember one case where the wire decapitated someone skiing down in the dark, the driver working the wire and piste basher never recovered from the shock. Even though he bore no fault, the depression that followed caused him eventually to take his life.

There are signs all over resorts now in Austria explaining that between 18.00 and 08.00 it is illegal to ski down pistes. If people do ski pistes after they have been officially cleared and closed, they have no comeback in terms of litigation should they be injured, nor their relatives if they are killed.

As for official night skiing, I might be interested if my days on snow were still restricted to a couple of weeks per season. The Söll evenings look good though with a decent amount of piste to play on.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.hotelcristallo.net/en/fit-active/winter/night-skiing/61-13.html

Pozza di Fassa - a 1.5km piste, two nights per week.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grouse Mountain in Vancouver used to have night skiing, but it has been decades since I have been there. Ditto with some of the tiny angled ice rinks in upstate New York.

greg
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wittenham wrote:
angled ice rinks in upstate New York.

Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Riksgränsen in Sweden? At certain times of year it doesn't get dark = problem solved Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are you referring to elsewhere in the world? Because night skiing in Niseko, Japan is excellent. The night skiing is very extensive there and visibility is actually better than day. The lights go on around 3.30 pm. I think it closes at 9pm. And its covered in your day pass. Thats when the locals come out but otherwise the slopes are pretty empty. Check out this review which I completely agree with. You can ski at night in Niseko when its absolutely dumping and see perfectly.

http://nisekosnow.net/niseko-snow-features/niseko-night-skiing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cervinia, underneath the Gran Bec (Matterhorn)... by moonlight. It's eerily beautiful. You book a table at the top rifugio, watch the sun go down in the west, it gets very dark and you wait for the moon to rise... Meanwhile you eat, drink and possibly sing and on the way down some people seemed to be smoking illicit substances.Happy

When I did it there was no extra charge beyond the cost of the meal but they've now formalised it: possibly due to insurance implications but certainly to make more money. Think it may cost €50/60 with the meal.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flachau at extra cost, Panorama included. Both just a single slope back to base. I'd rather be in a bar.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here we are: http://www.cervinia.it/index.jsp?ixPageId=4790&ixMenuId=1783

Bear in mind it's a decent long run with a 1000m+ vertical difference.
latest report
Big White in Canada has good nightskiing, but I've never really taken the opportunity to make use of it. Too knackered after the day skiing.
snow report
eddyr wrote:
Levi in Finland as as much night skiing as I've ever seen. Slightly different in that darkness falls early so it's the only way to keep going. That said, they stay on till relatively late when compared to normal Alps kick off time.
Really pretty as the sun sets on the horizon and you just keep going, got some great photos back home of this. Terrain in the main a bit limited but I would say you don't go there just to ski. It's an all round winter getaway, just hire a snowmobile and zip off for a few hundred KMs one day for example, honestly much better than skiing! You haven't lived until you've done over 100kmh on a frozen lake...
Back to the night skiing, it's bracingly cold!

I endorse this post wholeheartedly and Finns are cool and Finnish ladies lack those things called inhibitions
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy