Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sod the hot tubs n apres... Where can I ski at Night ???

Poster: A snowHead
Call me strange but when the pistes empty after the last lift stops running & everyone heads to the bars in town or settles into a comfy chair with their ipad or whatever....
I am gagging for more skiing rolling eyes I always try to get the last lift up & I'm often one of the last down, dodging piste bashers in the gloom.
So Question is: What resorts provide floodlit slopes to ski at night ??
What is anyones experience/opinion of these resorts?
Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obergurgl has a couple

Nick
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
franzClammer, Soll, and v good it is. Reith in Alpbachtal is another.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
franzClammer, Schladming (sp?) but only one night a week and a b@stard of a slalom piste. Go to Japan if you want regular night skiing . . . or Des Moins
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most Korean ski hills are open 24/7!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Courchevel has night skiing 1 night a week on the Verdon piste.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 31-01-13 8:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
franzClammer, typically one night a week on one short slope, often a slalom piste (for night slaloms).

So: limited, limited, limited.

Go drink beer instead.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
franzClammer,

Alpe d'Huez Tuesdays and Thursdays but only the slalom slope and the one next to it in the middle of town.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They do night skiing every Thursday at Morzine

http://www.skimorzine.com/ski-holidays-morzine/off-the-slopes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are Sweden has night skiing everynight in different areas. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hinterglemm.

Some place next to the Brenner pass had floodlit skiing on a Saturday night as we were driving over to Arabba.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Niseko Japan; even the off piste is floodlit!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Champery on the Porte Du Solleil has some I beleive
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
trainee snowboard jedi, last time i was in Avoriaz we did night skiing every night between avoriaz and morzine, with head torches, going back up the prodains cable car. Skiing with a tiny beam of light is an eerie and challenging experience, particularly on a run that is chopped up.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some resorts will have a regular floodlit night skiiing piste, its fun but bear in mind it's only usually the run into the village.
ski holidays
monkey, even better is to ski only by the light of the moon, yummy.
ski holidays
Just google "night skiing austria"
Clear or very light yellow/orange googles for night skiing.

Generally very few people around but only a few runs open.
ski holidays
Kirchberg has it too. (linked to Kitzbuhel in some areas, but not the night slope).
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
Hinterglemm.

Some place next to the Brenner pass had floodlit skiing on a Saturday night as we were driving over to Arabba.

Could well have been Patscherkofel, near the entrance to the Brenner?

LOADS of places have night skiing, Hinterglemm is one of the best, Westendorf has it too, plus lots of other places.

under_a_new_name is right though, drinking beer is usually much more worthwhile (Japan looks like the exception!).
snow report
Geilo in Norway
ski holidays
clarky999, would I be right in thinking that night skiing is more for locals who work during the day, rather than for tourists who are skiing in that area all week anyway.
snow report
hammerite wrote:
clarky999, would I be right in thinking that night skiing is more for locals who work during the day, rather than for tourists who are skiing in that area all week anyway.

Not from what I've seen, locals normally pick and choose the best days, and get little value from skiing the (usually small) selection of pistes that are floodlit at night, really. I think mainly it's just another feather in the resort's cap in the brochure. Bit different in Hinterglemm where the park is floodlit though, often lots of local kids about, and season workers. Similarly at Patscherkofel half the floodlit slopes are geared to race training.

Full moon skiing is always great though, hike up, have a drink or two at the top, ski down empty slopes, perfect!
ski holidays
monkey wrote:
trainee snowboard jedi, last time i was in Avoriaz we did night skiing every night between avoriaz and morzine, with head torches, going back up the prodains cable car. Skiing with a tiny beam of light is an eerie and challenging experience, particularly on a run that is chopped up.

Doesn't sound like fun to me!
ski holidays
franzClammer, Night skiing is usually at extra cost - not covered by your normal lift pass - which I always think is a bit of a con
snow report
Be careful when skiing pistes that are not officilay open at night, in some resorts it is ilegal and you could be hit by a piste basher. There could also be insurance implications in the event of an accident.
snow report
clarky999, ah ok. Just wondered if those really keen (and maybe amateur racers) use it is an opportunity for more training if they're stuck at work all day.
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
franzClammer, Night skiing is usually at extra cost - not covered by your normal lift pass - which I always think is a bit of a con

because the lights, lifts and piste folks are going to give their time for free?
snow report
ansta1 wrote:

because the lights, lifts and piste folks are going to give their time for free?

They don't give up their time for free during the day and day time skiing is included in the cost of a lift pass.

But I get your point, they'd probably have to increase the cost of a 6 day lift pass if it was to include night skiing as standard.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Be careful when skiing pistes that are not officilay open at night, in some resorts it is ilegal and you could be hit by a piste basher. There could also be insurance implications in the event of an accident.

good point. In our area of France you will be chased down by piste patrol if you are lingering at the end of the day, and restaurants have to close in time for everyone to get down before the pistes close. You certainly won't be insured skiing on a closed piste. And if you are hit by a piste basher (as people have been, and reported here on snowheads) you insurance is likely to be irrelevant, as well as invalid. Skullie

There's a night skiing piste open in Les Saisies, uninteresting piste really, mostly inhabited by 10 year olds AFAIK. The only time I tried night skiing, in Austria, it was very cold and miserable. Being able to see nothing outside the floodlights, plus being an uninteresting piste, made it seem a poor alternative to sitting by a warm fire with a good meal and a glass of something.
latest report
Another thing that put me off (this was in Davos) was that Night Skiing was 7-10pm which a) is dinner time and b) left an awkward gap between the end of the day shift and the start of the night - not the seamless alternative to apres which Franz is after
ski holidays
I think the night skiing is included in the pass at Hinterglemm. It was when i was last there before they extended the run and installed a gondola. I also think its open every night.
Other resorts I have night skied at with gondolas for uplift are reith Im alpbatel, bergeralm ( also know as steinach am brenner) and the most extensive of them all at Soll. They where all extra and about 16-20 euros. They also only operated on certain nights of the week.
I think night skiing is great. The pistes are nice and quiet, all are freshly groomed and the darkness away from the lights gives a nice atmospheric feel. Yes it can get cold, but as long as you keep moving and even stop for the odd gluewhein or two it's not that bad.
I've also done night skiing after après ski and that was great fun though the sandle wearers on here probably wouldnt approve of that!
snow conditions
Quote:

Quote:

good point. In our area of France you will be chased down by piste patrol if you are lingering at the end of the day, and restaurants have to close in time for everyone to get down before the pistes close. You certainly won't be insured skiing on a closed piste. And if you are hit by a piste basher (as people have been, and reported here on snowheads) you insurance is likely to be irrelevant, as well as invalid.

Very fair points. I didn't say it was a good idea, but then even bad ideas can sometimes be fun, can't they? We did actually get shouted at by a few piste bashers when we did it. To be honest if you manage to hit a piste basher when skiing at night on an otherwise empty piste, you should probably nominate yourself for a darwin award - they're not exactly hard to spot, with their noisy engines and mega bright lights.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
hammerite wrote:
Hinterglemm.

Could well have been Patscherkofel, near the entrance to the Brenner?

LOADS of places have night skiing, Hinterglemm is one of the best, Westendorf has it too, plus lots of other places.

under_a_new_name is right though, drinking beer is usually much more worthwhile (Japan looks like the exception!).

Probably bergeralm at steinach am brenner. The piste runs alongside the motorway for a bit and then goes right under it as well as the gondola, as the motorway crosses the valley.
It's a really good run from top to bottom and a nice long piste too. There a really good après bar at the bottom

http://www.bergeralm.net/nacht-skilauf.html

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 31-01-13 17:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Powderseeker wrote:
hammerite wrote:
Hinterglemm.

Probably bergeralm at steinach am brenner. The piste runs alongside the motorway for a bit then goes right under it as well as the gondola as the motorway crosses the valley.
It's a really good run from top to bottom and a nice long piste too. There a really good après bar at the bottom

http://www.bergeralm.net/nacht-skilauf.html

Yes that sounds like an accurate description. Looked good fun and certainly a welcome sight to eventually see some skiers after being sat on a transfer coach for the best part of a day.
ski holidays
Levi in Finland as as much night skiing as I've ever seen. Slightly different in that darkness falls early so it's the only way to keep going. That said, they stay on till relatively late when compared to normal Alps kick off time.
Really pretty as the sun sets on the horizon and you just keep going, got some great photos back home of this. Terrain in the main a bit limited but I would say you don't go there just to ski. It's an all round winter getaway, just hire a snowmobile and zip off for a few hundred KMs one day for example, honestly much better than skiing! You haven't lived until you've done over 100kmh on a frozen lake...
Back to the night skiing, it's bracingly cold!
snow conditions
I've night skied in Chamonix and Obertauern.
snow report
A couple of night skiing pics
busy piste at Bergeralm

Piste and Gondola going under the motorway (snowy evening)

Busy piste at Soll

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 31-01-13 20:30; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Vinterpark in Oslo on weekdays.
snow conditions
DB wrote:

Hit a piste basher (yourself) is more likely the way of it, given they're slow, big, bright red and normally flashing lights (sometimes sirens) - no excuse for noticing one! I think the big danger is the winch cables they use on steeper slopes, much harder to see, and capable of doing a spectacular amount of damage...

You obviously won't be insured, and it's often frowned upon, but is it actually illegal? It's not like lift companies own the mountains, surely there is a common right of access? Disappointing if you're not allowed to take responsibility for yourself, I'd be extremely pissed off is some lifty tried to tell me I have to go down as I'm not capable of looking after myself - thankfully I've never come across that before.

For instance Patscherkofel's policy of afternoon/night ski touring (up the piste) seems spot on to me:

Quote:
Pistentouren bis zum Schutzhaus sind am Donnerstag bis 22.00 ausdrücklich erlaubt. Seitens der Patscherkofelbahnen erfolgt an den übrigen Tagen nach Betriebsschluss zwi- schen 16.30 Uhr und 8.00 Uhr keine Gefahrensicherung. Dadurch besteht eine erhöhte Verletzungsgefahr durch Pistenbearbeitungsgeräte, Spurrinnen, Windenseile sowie freiliegende Kabel/Schläuche der Beschneiungsgeräte.

From what I understand, you can do it whenever you want, but there is no safety or rescue service for you (other than Thursdays, when safety services operate 'til 10pm). If anything should happen to you it's on your own head, and it's your own responsibility to deal with it - fine by me!
latest report
Davos & Pas d'la Casa (Andorra)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy