Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has snowboarding lost its mojo?

Poster: A snowHead
jbob wrote:
Dudes under 30 are on big twin tips.

That's my impression. I know a big snow-sporting family with enough children & grandchildren with their spouses, friends, boyfriends & girlfriends to field a couple of football teams. A remarkable number of whom can be fitted into one ski resort flat. They are all skiers, no boarders. This would not have been the case 10 years ago. Boarding is now dad-dancing.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 10-01-14 7:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rogg wrote:
Sidecut/parabolic/carver type skis were introduced after snowboards brought the shape to the masses. 'Powder fats' were also brought to the market after the influence of snowboards. Twin tips too.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc

Quote:
can't we all just get on

Where's the fun in that?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

pam w, for the last time, STOP TALKING SENSE!!! This thread will go nowhere...

+1

Maybe the 'self-taught' angle is also what produced the lack of 'discipline'? For either skier or boarder, unless you are told the FIS code you don't learn it. When I'm teaching it makes part of every lesson, where we stop, start, looking and helping etc.. etc..
Blind side arguments are pony, if you are sharing a piste with anyone downhill of you then use your noggin to pass safely.

Much fewer uptake here, and fewer piste users; unless you go to Flachau Winkl which has a natural terrain park (The Stash) and a free style park (Absolut Park). Both hold international competitions are are frequently used for filming by Redbull. Here there are loads of boarders!

Off piste numbers are next to nothing (especially when compared to 2006/Cool. Ski technology has widened and rocked its way to allow an easy experience off-piste... before you needed the board to float nicely.

I'm off for a ride this morning, (2 inches of new snow).... going to help a group who are staying here, 6 boarders, 6 skiers!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
flangesax I know that, as a skier, if I find an injured person on the mountain then you form a cross with your skis uphill of them. Do you know what a single boarder would do to alert others? Just asking so that if, god forbid, I ever come across it I know what it means.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Do you know what a single boarder would do to alert others?

he would sit in the snow, above the injured person, thus protecting the casualty from careless slope users. wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Saw Marcus Bridgestock at the Altitude Comedy Festival in Mayrhofen last year and he made a valid point on the skier/boarder rivalry.......we should all just get along and join forces since as long as snowblading exists neither will be the worst thing to see or do on a mountain. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On behalf of all the snowboarders out there (of which I am not one) can I just say a little thank you to James Woods 'Woodsy'. Nobody has done as much to dispel the theory that it is boarders who lack taste and style. I mean just how cool is this?

Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For the pro-riders, I wonder how much of their 'style' is driven by what they want to be seen in, what their sponsors want to see them in, and what they think they should be seen in because they are a pro rider.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most interestingly for me is that whilst us ladies like a nice looking board with bindings that don't look too offensive, it's the guys who are really are into the style. You don't see the female pro riders pushing the boundaries as much with their riding gear.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
foxtrotzulu, Laughing Laughing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
He looks to young to be a boarder. I thought you had to be 46, over weight and a derivatives broker for Morgan Stanley. Called Benjamin.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
blahblahblah wrote:
He looks to young to be a boarder. I thought you had to be 46, over weight and a derivatives broker for Morgan Stanley. Called Benjamin.

he's not, he's a skiier Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
foxtrotzulu,are his underpants are hanging out the back? Or is that no longer a requirement?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang, once again, Woodsy is a skier...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevomcd, I think I'm switching to snowboard...
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:
Steilhang, once again, Woodsy is a skier...
a bloody good one. Real medal chance at Sochi. All due respect to him.
snow conditions
I did my annual survey of boarder versus skier numbers on the grand col ski lift in Les Arcs during the New Year week and boarder numbers appear to be holding up this year at about 10% of users on these two pistes.
This is not a popular piste for boarding since there are moguls on the top part and a shuss on the bottom, but I can survey the whole run from the lift and have done so for the last 4 years. The boarder numbers halved two years ago but now they appear stable at 20 boarders and 200 skiers
ski holidays
Quote:

James Woods 'Woodsy'

Quote:

a bloody good one. Real medal chance at Sochi. All due respect to him.

And what makes him even better is that he went to my old school (quite a bit younger than me tho!) and learnt ot ski at SSV. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy