Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has snowboarding lost its mojo?

Poster: A snowHead
The New York Times certainly seems to think so. Have those of us who stuck with two planks been proven right? And can we have our mountains back from the shredders, please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
did it ever have one?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here it is:

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't remember Frosty the Snowmans thighs being that svelte Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing, or his knees bending that much
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"Snowboard boots that dispense with annoying shoelaces are available"? Is this the real reason snowboarders sprawl untidily everywhere, because they're exhausted from tying a shoelace?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing, Masque, Mad Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
finestgreen, mostly they're too young to know how yet. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ooohhh it hurts Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think 'boarding took off as it did partly down to it being cool, with all the things that the boarders were doing in the backcountry but also in the park. However, being that it was very easy to learn and quick to pick up the basics, it was the obvious choice for the impatient wannabes, it was also a natural progression for skate-boarders in the winter.

Skiing has come on a long way, and it's getting easier to learn with the way ski technology has changed. Add to that, that the new-schoolers are doing as much, if not more impressive stuff in the parks and back-country, and that you can do more on skis, especially simple things like being able to ski out on the flats rather than having to walk out (and in powder that's hell) carrying your board.

Skiing's now as 'cool' as boarding, if not cooler, the presence of sno-zones and whatnot is making it more accessible, and it's always going to be more versatile. SnowBoarding will never go away, but it's no longer the only popular kid in the playground.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't have any views on whether skiing or boarding is the more cool way of sliding down a hill, but I'm always struck by how few snowboard lessons I see compared to ski lessons. No idea if this affects uptake or participation.

Interesting to see the initiatives US resorts are taking, with lots of mini parks and stuff, and even simple things like benches at the top of chairlifts so boarders can more easily clip back in to their bindings.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've come nowhere close to maxxing out my potential on a snowboard - I know I have backcountry, off-piste, freestyle and park that I can yet aim for seriously, as well as improving massively on the piste - but after last week in Tignes (spending a week getting a light-heated bashing from skiers in the chalet) I'm all set to learn how to ski this summer, if only to give me the option to approach the resort in a different fashion. I saw loads of people on blades, medium length skis and those massive, wide powder planks, and I want a piece of that too. Whether I'll be any good at it will only be revealed in time, but I know I'll give it my best until I realise A) I prefer boarding, or B) I realise that I'm pap at skiing (or even both).

I know when my little boy comes to the mountains next winter he'll be starting on skis because I've seen very little to tell me that toddlers can learn to snowboard in European resorts. Even my missus who isn't keen on skiing is starting to think that she might as well give it a go, just in case it offers her something that boarding can't.

As for why I/we started boarding in the first place, that was dictated by the missus saying that unless we went snowboarding we wouldn't be going to the mountains; she didn't deem skiing that cool although i was dead set on skiing at first. Yes, it did seem a bit cooler at the time (2006) to us. Neither of us skateboarded so there wasn't that link; it just seemed the thing to do.

rob@rar wrote:
....I'm always struck by how few snowboard lessons I see compared to ski lessons. No idea if this affects uptake or participation....

I saw a few boarding lessons last week in Tignes, but none were ESF. They seemed to be the English-speaking outfits with no red suits in sight. But in all, I probably saw only a dozen classes taking place, although that was in part down to sticking around Les Brevierres most of the week rather than the tignes/Val border. I saw countless ski groups.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Specialman, I like all the ways to slide, each has its attractions and detractions . . . one of which is schlepping all the gear arround.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We had a recent discussion on a chairlift about whether resorts should have a special snowboarding pass, which would provide them with a safe place to play with their other snowboarding buddies. It would be an area devoid of any almost flat bits, with lots of nice benches for them to sit on, and special lanes netted off for the skiiers to get past them on their blind side.

It would also be cheaper, because skiiers like me would pay a bit of a premium on our lift passes to know that there was a 0% chance of ending up on a small chairlift with a boarder that is incapable of getting off the thing without trying to climb over me to escape the wrath of the swinging chair, and that when I ski down a wide empty piste there aren't going to be a group of badly dressed teenagers sitting across the thing like the booms used to contain an oil spill.

I like boarders, when they do sensible things. Like not being in the way, and when they can keep up with intermediate skiiers without scraping the living bejesus out of a fairly easy slope. Some of my best friends are boarders Smile
ski holidays
Monium wrote:

It would also be cheaper, because skiiers like me would pay a bit of a premium on our lift passes to know that there was a 0% chance of ending up on a small chairlift with a boarder that is incapable of getting off the thing without trying to climb over me to escape the wrath of the swinging chair, and that when I ski down a wide empty piste there aren't going to be a group of badly dressed teenagers sitting across the thing like the booms used to contain an oil spill.

I like boarders, when they do sensible things. Like not being in the way, and when they can keep up with intermediate skiiers without scraping the living bejesus out of a fairly easy slope. Some of my best friends are boarders Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I was thinking of writing a piece on the renaissance of snowboarding.

After years of decline I thought I noticed an increase in snowboarding numbers this year. I thought I even saw some younger snowboarders. Perhaps young people were taking it up Smile

However the actual measures were as depressing as previously, While taking a sample on the grand col lift in Les Arcs I counted 1 snowboarder for every 20 skiers. OK this area of highly moguled slopes is not the sort of place snowboarders go, but the proportions were exactly the same as I measured during the last 3 years. I actually felt quite sad about this. I like a bit of variety. I like to see snowboarders, monoskiers, telemark and disabled skiers on the piste.

Monium, snowboarding is very fashion conscious. They are never ever badly dressed. The whole point of snowboarding is to be fashionable.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
I like to see snowboarders, monoskiers, telemark and disabled skiers on the piste.

well if there's fewer of the first three, then it's inevitable that there'll be fewer ending up in the last category Wink

(I'll get my coat.....)
latest report
As a skier, my problem with boarders is that one board displaces as much powder as three pairs of skis. If you want to ski powder, boarders are your enemy Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Jonny Jones, Some of us are NOT bulldozers . . . you'll shift more snow on a slope than I and a lot of snowheads will Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, where did you get taht rubbish from? Puzzled

Monium, ...

Quote:

t would be an area devoid of any almost flat bits

So restricted to beginner boarders then.

Quote:

lots of nice benches for them to sit on

It is entirely possible (and a lot easier) to put your foot in while standing up.

Quote:

special lanes netted off for the skiiers to get past them on their blind side

Is there something about standing on a pair of skis which makes you unable to tell which side of a person's head is the front bit with the eyes in? rolling eyes

If we're going to get all adolescent tribal about other people on the slopes, you might all wish to consider not clustering together and reading your piste maps in the middle of the exit from the chairs, not waving your sticks about in other people's faces and not standing in little huddles in the middle of the piste.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
not standing in little huddles in the middle of the piste.

What and sit down instead ?? Preferably just over the brow of a hill rolling eyes
ski holidays
dsoutar, the point being taht if you're going to get all shirty about boarders stopping in the middle of a piste then possibly you shouldn't do it yourselves. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Some very 'turn of the century' prejudices on display. Understandable on a forum populated by mostly middle aged skiers.
Some people just prefer it sideways. I skateboarded, windsurfed, surf and wakeboard. I tried skiing and just prefer the feeling of snowboarding. All of the really good French and Swiss snowboarders I known are better skiers than most of you lot!
They just don't.
Skiing owes a huge debt to snowboarding - a lot of the recent progression has been driven by developments in snowboarding.
If people don't do now just because it's coo well that's fine by me - those saggy arsed snot noses littering the piste these days are more often than not sporting twin tips these days.
snow report
Children, children... Jeez some people take things far too personally.
snow conditions
C'mon, we can get more butthurt per post than this! You guys are hardly even trying.
ski holidays
Snow Hound, well said. doesn't change the fact that as evidenced by his brand rationalisation even Jake recognises it is on the downslope.

A boarder uses up 3 times as much pow? bs unless the skiers are stuck in 70s st
yle powder8 wiggles.
latest report
Jonny Jones, I'll assume that 'statistic' is from your own extensive personal research. rolling eyes

Lizzard, this. Saw plenty of poor mountain etiquette in St.Anton the other week, stopping the the middle of trails, restarting without looking etc, and it seems to stem from whats attached to the neck not whats attached to the feet...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Jonny Jones, I'll assume that 'statistic' is from your own extensive personal research. rolling eyes

Yup. Based on observing multiple boarders sliding sideways down multiple powder slopes and very few skiers doing the same. Maybe its an observation about the average skill level of boarders versus skiers. Or maybe more boarders than skiers take on slopes beyond their ability in a vain effort to appear cool.
snow conditions
Snow Hound wrote:
Some very 'turn of the century' prejudices on display. Understandable on a forum populated by mostly middle aged, skiers.

I'd include 'middle class' somewhere in the as well..............lol.

The one thing I've always liked about 'boarders is that most of the ones I've met are reasonably secure in what they do that they don't need to big themselves up by denigrating another's chosen discipline. I guess some of that might come from knowing you're cool, as opposed to just thinking, or telling people, you are.............. wink
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, well next time you've got your I-Spy book of The Mountains out see if you can find a mogul field. See if you can find out what causes those and you can add the culprits to your Nixon-style enemies list too...
latest report
Cool? About 1% of both are cool.
snow report
I left a stuck-up middle-class skier for a nice snowboarder guy Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

As long as you slide it's good so stop being butthurt idiots!

If you want one/two plank prejudices just listen to me and boyfriend on the slopes. We tease each other constantly. But in reality as long as you're having fun who cares? I've had all sliders get in my way (don't get me started on snowblades Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
Quote:

maybe more boarders than skiers take on slopes beyond their ability in a vain effort to appear cool.

Need a fish to go with that chip on your shoulder? Laughing
latest report
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Cool? About 1% of both are cool.

+1

who are we trying to kid? Laughing
snow conditions
I see far more skiers than boarders on slopes they can't cope with (but there are hugely more skiers than boarders where I ski, so that's probably not surprising). Not surprising there are more ski lessons than boarding lessons, too. But whoever had skateboarding lessons? And there are plenty of good skateboarders around.

It's good to do a bit of everything. Apart from anything else, some days are best for boards, some are best for skis.
snow report
Quote:

stem from whats attached to the neck not whats attached to the feet...

More like, what's not attached to the neck.

Really the issue over boarders/skiers sharing slopes is more dependent on reckless behaviour rather than what equipment you use to slide down a mountain. I've seen many skiers and boarders going far too quick on the piste for their ability - out of control and a danger to others.
ski holidays
We see relatively few boarders in La Plagne, must be 'cos it's flat snowHead
Although two pistes have rope tows to help across the flat longer flat sections.
snow report
pam w, for the last time, STOP TALKING SENSE!!! This thread will go nowhere... wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Jonny Jones, well next time you've got your I-Spy book of The Mountains out see if you can find a mogul field. See if you can find out what causes those and you can add the culprits to your Nixon-style enemies list too...

That's my other pet hate about boarders. Constructing moguls is a public good to which every mountain user is morally bound to apply themselves. To many boarders think that they can avoid the mogul fields and allow other people to do the hard work of turning the mountain into a decent playground.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy