Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Bindings - which should I buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm off to Japan in February, and will be needing some touring bindings for short hikes (1-2 hours absolute max). The skis I'll be mounting them to at first will be a pair of Atomic Bent Chetlers, just for the holiday, before putting them on my Salomon Sentinels for other trips in the future doing some very slightly longer hikes. The main focus is on the downhill, not the uphill so I've come across a few bindings that cater for this - Markers (which ones I have no idea!), Salomon Guardians/Atomic Trekker, Diamir Fritschi Pro. I was hoping that one (or more of you!) could point me in the best direction to go. I'm 6'2, 90kg and ski with a din setting of 8.5.

It's been suggested to me that the Guardians (my favourite looks wise!) isn't particularly suitable due to having a high starting DIN setting of 7. Should I dismiss this and go ahead with the thought of "it's rated for 7-16 and I'm 8.5 so it will work for me" or think it's near the low end of the possible settings so I should look elsewhere?

Any further comments, or tips on what to buy would be most useful.

Many thanks,

Chris
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Marker Barons or an 11/12 Duke (as opposed to the Duke EPF). Guardians are longer, heavier, dearer, have no flat walk mode, won't accept a full vibram sole in the future & aren't fully beta tested yet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i bought some guardians and put them on a pair of atomic theories. I am a beginner tourer and like you i have the same ambitions to do small climbs but with a binding i feel totally confident in.

So far i have used it 10 ski days for tight turns all-day on piste, off piste and one small tour (about 1hr - 90 mins climbing). I have been really pleased with it so far.It feels just like my pure alpine binding to ski with, and when i did the small tour i really diddn't feel the weight was a big problem and it felt comfortable in my alpine boots. Although i have to say i have nothing to compare it with, i was just happy with my first experiance.

I have found the binding to be very tolerant off-piste to a bit of snow going in. It clicks in very solidly and i dont spend much if any time cleaning away snow.

I did find that after my one tour, that i had to scrape away a bit where it closes to return to alpine mode.

I think the selling point of ''not taking off your bindings after a climb'' to be mute as it v. difficult to remove skins, put them away etc without getting out the bindings. Although being able to go from alpine to tour is quite good and works well enough.

i guess they are more expensive compared to a marker offering and do a siimilar thing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just get the Marker Barons, tried and tested. Do a great job of what they're designed to do - ski like an alpine binding, with flexibility to skin for a few hours. Not really anything to be gained by spending more on the new Sallies/Atomics.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perfect advice guys, thank you very much. Looks like it'll be a pair of Barons for me!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chrisssyg wrote:
Perfect advice guys, thank you very much. Looks like it'll be a pair of Barons for me!

Sounds like a good plan. I have Fritschi freerides and I'm pretty happy with them. I did have issues with pre-release but my boots were pretty (OK, very) worn, since I got new boots I have had no issues (Frischi and the UK distributors were very helpful by the way, they checked the bindings and verified the release pressure was correct). However, everyone I've met who has owned Markers seems to rave about them, and I've met a few Fritschi-to-Marker converts. I've not met anyone who switched from Markers to Fritschi (or Guardians). That said, a lot of people do swear by Dynafit (aka Tech) bindings. I think if I ever went for a "pure" touring setup (i.e. something aimed more at up hill and multi day tours rather than downhill performance) then I'd look at those.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have Fritschi FR Pro and a big advantage for me is the ability to change to walk mode without taking ski off as with Marker and DynaFit - although thought DF could switch with ski on. Pushing out after a descent is very easy and faster when in walk mode and even gentle ascents are possible in walk mode before skins are required. A couple of ski guides with DF was well impressed by ease of in and out of walk mode.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chrisssyg wrote:
It's been suggested to me that the Guardians (my favourite looks wise!) isn't particularly suitable due to having a high starting DIN setting of 7. Should I dismiss this and go ahead with the thought of "it's rated for 7-16 and I'm 8.5 so it will work for me" or think it's near the low end of the possible settings so I should look elsewhere?

Bit late of course, but DIN testing and certification isn't a fuzzy thing... if a binding has been certified to reach a DIN release value of 7, then it'll do just that. There's a lighter version of the Guardian coming out with a lower release value range (5-13 or thereabouts) which will give you an excellent excuse to upgrade next year, of course.

Incidentally, there's nowt wrong with the downhill performance of dynafits, especially if you're looking at release values like 8.5. Don't think of them as delicate little uphill-only things. If you're not a great big heavy charging cliff-jumping sort of guy, they're an entirely reasonable alternative.

colinstone wrote:
I have Fritschi FR Pro and a big advantage for me is the ability to change to walk mode without taking ski off as with Marker and DynaFit

Can you fit skins without taking the ski off? Perhaps you should post a video of this wink I could perhaps see the benefit if you're using patterned-base skis. If you're making ski-tour transitions often enough for the release-re-entry delay to become irritating, then you're probably on the sort of terrain that best suits free-heel bindings in the first place.

The tour mode switch in Markers can occasionally ice up, which will be rather irritating. The brakes on the Markers have shorter arms than Fritschis, too (same length as Marker's standard alpine bindings, despite the extra stack height). Neither of these reasons seems to be enough to encourage Marker-users to switch to Fritschis, mind you!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Serriadh, being able to flip between walk and ski mode can be helpful if you get a downhill section which isn't long enough to merit removing skins, but is long enough that having your heel fixed is nice. also, as colinstone says on flat sections when you have been skiing, going into walk mode can be quicker than just skating

that said, these gains seem quite marginal to me and I have regretted not having this ability about once in 5 seasons or so since I ditched Fritschis
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="franztrimmel"]
Quote:
Just get the Marker Barons, tried and tested. Do a great job of what they're designed to do - ski like an alpine binding, with flexibility to skin for a few hours. Not really anything to be gained by spending more on the new Sallies/Atomics.

Hi guys i did a little article about Fritschi Vipec 12, King Pin 12, and Marker tour F12 EPF.

This are the bindings what we recommended to or clients this winter 15/16.
I know i am a little late but i just found this topic Happy

The Marker tour is the best compromise and the typical all round binding and far better than any other frame bindings ( from other companies)

anyway have here a quick read:

https://alloffpiste.com/which-touring-binding-is-the-best-for-me/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@franztrimmel, wow, bit of a bump, especially as there are plenty of very recent threads on touring bindings.

Out of interest, why did you not include any Dynafit bindings? Rather a large omission, especially if you are recommending bindings to clients.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@fixx,
Quote:
Out of interest, why did you not include any Dynafit bindings? Rather a large omission, especially if you are recommending bindings to clients.

From or opinion the Dynafit has in terms of comfort and safety lots of disadvantages.
Have a look, i would say at least 90% of Dynafit users lock the front part of the binding. This Binding can never be open at all. Thats technology from 1920 Happy.
The new heel part of the dynafit keeps breaking since they have changed to the flip heel raiser.

Whats your opinion?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 9-06-16 18:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
franztrimmel wrote:
Whats your opinion?

That the new generation Dynafits have addressed any historic disadvantages - you tested the new Kingpins, so why not Beast or Radical 2.0s at the same time? All the same (newest) generation, both DIN certified.

Users of the new versions AFAIAW don't feel the need to lock the toe, but some seem to like having the option there in certain terrain (not terrain I ski! So toe locking not of interest to me personally Smile)

What specific disadvantages do you think they have compared to the other bindings in your test?

(I'm just curious, not attacking your report - you've published a lot of very interesting and useful content on your site!)

Personal experience - I ski Radical 2.0s and I loooooooove them. I did consider the Kingpins - I never got around to actually skiing them though I'll admit.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fixx wrote:
franztrimmel wrote:
Whats your opinion?

That the new generation Dynafits have addressed any historic disadvantages - you tested the new Kingpins, so why not Beast or Radical 2.0s at the same time? All the same (newest) generation, both DIN certified.

Users of the new versions AFAIAW don't feel the need to lock the toe, but some seem to like having the option there in certain terrain (not terrain I ski! So toe locking not of interest to me personally Smile)

What specific disadvantages do you think they have compared to the other bindings in your test?

(I'm just curious, not attacking your report - you've published a lot of very interesting and useful content on your site!)

Personal experience - I ski Radical 2.0s and I loooooooove them. I did consider the Kingpins - I never got around to actually skiing them though I'll admit.

The King pin is a very good compromise for me it was a litte bit to heavy. The first generation was very bad, the ski stopper did not open and the front part of the binding fall apart.
We skied the Dynafit Beast and it is a absolute disaster. It is a combination of all disadvantages in one Binding.
Very heavy 1,9 kg
It is impossible to walk without the heel lifter. The heel lifter is minimum 2 cm high
and super expensive

Lots of my colleagues which are using the radical have to lock it on the way down. I personally had not a bad experience with the radical but we had so many clients where the Binding released on the piste and in any situation ...
Most of the people just don't feel safe in a open dynafit binding position.

[/list]
snow report
Without me searching through other threads, can anyone recommend me some touring bindings for next season? I`ll be using them in Scotland, mostly Cairngorms and around Lochaber. Haven`t got skis yet either but i`m thinking about some K2 waybacks or maybe Fischer Hannibals. (open to ski suggestions also). I`ve got piste skis/boots for skiing on piste so i`ll be using the touring kit mainly off piste.

I`m 6ft tall and around 96kgs. Intermediate skier. Was looking at the dynafit beasts, 14 or 16, but not too sure. I have fischer transalp ts lite boots.
snow conditions
@Deedee, For the Dynafit bindings you need boots with Dynafit inserts. If you would like to use it with your boots and you are mainly walking than the Fritschie Eagle is the best binding for you.
ski holidays
@franztrimmel, my word, some generalisations there! In light of the well documented teething troubles of the first 2 or 3 iterations of the Vipec, it seems a rum choice to recommend as a go-to tech binding rather than the Dynafit's you have encountered which appear to have heels made of cheese.

I and 4 of my constant companions throughout the whole of last season (approximately 400 ski days between us) used Dynafit's the entire time for lots of uphill and downhill which included:

0 locked toes
0 binding breakages
No discernible safety disadvantages
No discomfort (we were mostly on Beast 14's or Radical 2's).

This was in striking contrast to the unfortunate chap we encountered in the Trient hut. He, his guide, and Haute Route group had to go down to Trient, then goodness knows where else in taxis seeking repairs to his brand new Vipec (latest "black" version) as the toe leaver had broken off one on the first day of use.

Now I know that this is just anecdotal from me, and that there will be countless other different experiences. However, as @fixx, notes, there are plenty of threads on these bindings. I suggest that many of those might provide some helpful illumination to your clients.
ski holidays
franztrimmel wrote:
@Deedee, For the Dynafit bindings you need boots with Dynafit inserts. If you would like to use it with your boots and you are mainly walking than the Fritschie Eagle is the best binding for you.

What kind of inserts should I get for your preferred Vipec Bindings?
snow report
@mishmash, Like this.

You need to buy new boots. Or you have a changeable sole
snow report
franztrimmel wrote:

From or opinion the Dynafit has in terms of comfort and safety lots of disadvantages.
Have a look, i would say at least 90% of Dynafit users lock the front part of the binding. This Binding can never be open at all. Thats technology from 1920 Happy.
The new heel part of the dynafit keeps breaking since they have changed to the flip heel raiser.

Whats your opinion?

Sorry, I just figured that if you hated the old old dynafit stuff so much that you have a new insert to work with the Vipec and all its problems, like a "vipec" insert. guess i was wrong.

I t seems odd that you can recommend Dynafit and then say it's wrong?
ski holidays
franztrimmel wrote:
@fixx,
Quote:

Whats your opinion?

That you are talking utter nonsense.
ski holidays
Quote:

No discernible safety disadvantages

None of them have lateral release at the toe. I've not had it happen to me but I understand rotational tib/fib fractures kind of smart a bit. Mr Trimmel is a long way from being the only guide to recommend the Vipec to clients on safety grounds.

That said, I still run Vertical STs. They work and I'm ok with the increased risks.
ski holidays
Hmm it seems while Vipec has had success in penetrating the guide market, people who actually spend a lot of time fiddling with the various bindings don't necessarily agree in their superiority over modern Dynafits - see here for instance:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=125748

The fact that some people, for reasons discussed on the Minna Riihimaki thread choose to lock toes for downhill on Dynafits doesn't mean that it's a reason to discount dynafits IMV.
ski holidays
[quote="gorilla"]
Quote:
I've not had it happen to me but I understand rotational tib/fib fractures kind of smart a bit.
Understatement rolling eyes

I run G3 Onyx and whilst a lateral toe release from the toe won't occur a 90 degrees and with the heel clipped down but as soon as the heel releases and any twist on all planes applied, the toe is out . . . I do have mine set very low
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
........Hmm it seems while Vipec has had success in penetrating the guide market, people who actually spend a lot of time fiddling with the various bindings don't necessarily agree in their superiority over modern Dynafits ...........

But then there is a deference between fiddling and the odd day touring as opposed to being out on the mountain when ever you can in a wide variety of conditions rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

Understatement

But from the X ray it looks like five minutes with a nailgun and you were fine, no?
latest report
Dynafit ST's or similar in action - the guy seems to have confidence in his kit Smile - on the "Shroud", Grandes Jorasses.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@marksavoie, toes appear to be locked
ski holidays
And I think I'd prefer narrower skis. Caster and all that...
snow report
@marksavoie, he's also wearing that light weight Petzl helmet which is a nice piece of kit that a few of my CAF friends have.
snow report
[quote="Masque"]
gorilla wrote:
Quote:
I've not had it happen to me but I understand rotational tib/fib fractures kind of smart a bit.
Understatement rolling eyes

I run G3 Onyx and whilst a lateral toe release from the toe won't occur a 90 degrees and with the heel clipped down but as soon as the heel releases and any twist on all planes applied, the toe is out . . . I do have mine set very low

Having the legacy from a tib and fib fracture from climbing that makes the above look like a sprain I'm particularly concerned about an effective toe release, but after reading this and other threads on the respective merits of Vipec and ST, I'm still none the wiser Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

@marksavoie, toes appear to be locked

On the bloody Shroud? I should coco. I feel ill at the thought!
ski holidays
@On the rocks, no binding will release in all situations that might result in injury even if set correctly. As such, there's a trade off in binding design between protecting the knee and protecting the leg from breakage. Alpine bindings and the Vipec almost always only have lateral release at the toe and come down on the side of leg protection. Dynafits and almost all other tech bindings only have lateral release at the heel.

Obviously that's not the only factor in selecting a binding but Franz Trimmel is a long way from being the only guide recommending the Vipec to clients. Chap I skied with in Disentis this year was using them as his only binding with no complaints.
latest report
I do think there is a factor with guides in that they tend to ski more "sympathetically" than the average punter and are less likely to be a) in terrain which is at the top of their performance capability and b) falling.

They also get their kit free or heavily subsidised, and while I wouldn't say this means they would approve stuff which is unsafe it may mean that they haven't exhaustively tested all options.

Personally when I buy a tech binding knowing that I won't be using it (intentionally) in extreme terrain I'll be looking for durability and as close to a good alpine release as I can get.
ski holidays
@On the rocks, if it's an injury porn fight let's see the evidence Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
@On the rocks, if it's an injury porn fight let's see the evidence Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I'll see your screws and raise you a few then Smile

Before

after

photo broken femur_zpsjcknou1e.jpg
snow conditions
Sorry no x-rays but I was looking down on the sole of my foot, my ankle having been severed 2/3 of its circumference and approx 2 inch of tib and fib shattered and scattered across the ground, very lucky to have avoided amputation
snow report
@kitenski, I fold . . . Very Happy

@On the rocks, You should always keep the evidence . . .great way of scaring the poop out of grandkids Twisted Evil
snow conditions
If i have 96mm wide skis, are bindings with 105mm brakes too wide?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy