Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help...pooping my pants!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, I'm new to this site but more importantly new to skiing. I somehow managed to let my boyfriend convince me to join him on his annual ski trip to ischgl in march. To say I'm defecating myself is an understatement to say the least!!! Now that all the ski gear is coming thru the post I'm getting even more nervous! I have a days lesson booked for 7th feb at Hemel Hempstead snow dome to try and learn the basics but any other advice or words of wisdom would be gratefully received :/

Anna
Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

any other advice or words of wisdom would be gratefully received :/

get some advice here on the best ski school in Ishgl and insist on signing up for a full week of lessons. Try to dissuade your BF from taking you on what he calls "easy slopes" but which might seem really difficult for you; ask him to keep you company on the slopes you've done in your lessons. If he moans about this, rent him a snowboard (assuming he's a skier)

and take a shower. wink Welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK lads, all off for the day to Hemel on the 7th, OK?

Toofy Grin

Kidding - not everyone here is weird wink

Skivirgin77, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Great first post.

As for advice...get a well-paid job (if you haven't already) and be prepared to have a semi-permanent feel of being broke when you know you shouldn't be Laughing

Hemel is a great starting point - do let us all know how you get on.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skivirgin77:

(1) lessons at Hemel is the right thing to do.

(2) get lessons in the resort as well.

(3) do not allow your other half or his mates to persuade you to go on any slope that you're uneasy about

(4) welcome to snowHeads

(5) we all started in the same place (well, not Hemel, obviously).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skivirgin77 wrote:
To say I'm defecating myself is an understatement to say the least!!!
Shocked

laundryman meet Skivirgin77...he could be just what you need...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skivirgin77, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

Well, you've made a very smart decision by having a day's lesson at Hemel - that'll get you used to the equipment, stepping into and out of the bindings, walking about a bit with those awkward ski thingys etc. and (the best bit of all) you'll get to experience the magic sensation when you manage to glide down the hill a few feet (it's at that stage most people start to get hooked Madeye-Smiley ), and you'll already be ahead of the raw beginners when you get out to the resort.

Talking of resorts, I note that your bf is taking you to Ischgl - as well as having good slopes it has belting apres-ski, so I hope your liver (and wallet, unless he pays Toofy Grin ) is up to that!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

(3) do not allow your other half or his mates to persuade you to go on any slope that you're uneasy about

Agreed - I took Mrs B out on "easy" slopes soon after she started and we had one of the biggest arguments of all time and I had to climb back up and walk down the slope with her. Thankfully she still skis! People who have skied for a bit have absolutely no concept of what it is like to be learning and terrified!

By all means go out with OH for a gentle ski, but stick to runs you went on with the class in the morning. If in any doubt - take the chair down.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ahhhh thanks guys! You've all made me feel very welcome. I plan to book a full weeks course at the resort too! Chassuer my BF is insisting on coming with me on the 7th and that's bad enough lol Wink

Thanks Laundryman...the way it's going you could become my best friend lol!

Oh Alastair - that's the rules...I go / he pays!!

Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And if you're that nervous ....don't forget the poopy scooper!!? Don't like seeing brown snow!!! Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skivirgin77, I agree with what pam w, Chasseur, and laundryman, have said.

I was in pretty much the same position as you 5 years ago. I did a 'Ski in a day' type session at MK (didn't work! Laughing ) in preparation for my first ski trip with OH and daughter, then had lessons when I got to the resort.

Outcome: I now spend much more than I should on skiing, do frequent coaching clinics at Hemel and have three ski trips (travelling solo, but joining groups) booked in the next three months snowHead .
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haha Simon - that made me laugh!!! Don't worry I'm a responsible person and will defo clean up after myself lol.

Thanks Iski...makes me feel like I could actually enjoy this lol...enjoy your trips!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skivirgin77, welcome!

What everyone else has already said, plus be prepared to persevere and to feel very silly, ungainly etc at first. Trust me, it is all worth it when it comes together and you have learnt to ski! But don't worry about looking like a prat - we've all been there. Everyone else in the lesson will feel just the same!

Hope your man is of the supportive type - mine just takes the p!ss although I give as good as I get Laughing

If your legs aren't particularly strong it might be worth some exercise to get them ready and get the most from the holiday, I wouldn't worry about it for the Hemel lesson though.

Enjoy the Apres Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about it for the Hemel lesson though.

if your legs feel it afterwards - especially 48 hours afterwards - that'll be the sign that you need to do some work on your leg muscles.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks crazy skier....I agreed to go just before Xmas so as of 1st jan I have been on a low cal diet to ensure I'm in tip top condition plus I've been going to the gym every other day doing 1 1/2 sessions...about an hour cardio and half hour weights. I'm hoping I'm doing as much as poss to prepare myself...it's just the nerves I'm finding hard to control lol. Luckily my BF is very supportive though we are able to laugh at each other all the same! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skivirgin77, you sound like you're doing all the right things, much more gym work than me! You will be fine Very Happy when you're up on the mountain don't worry about calories though... Alpine food is high in calories for a reason - you'll need them! Have an awesome time snowHead
latest report
Skivirgin77 wrote:
Luckily my BF is very supportive though we are able to laugh at each other all the same! Very Happy

Essential ingredient....is he taking a camera to record the event at Hemel?

We like a good laugh on here too wink Little Angel Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Skivirgin77, welcome! snowHead Sounds like you're preparing brilliantly - you'll be fine!
snow report
Gee thanks Chassuer - I was just beginning to like you too! wink
snow report
Quote:

Essential ingredient....is he taking a camera to record the event at Hemel?

We like a good laugh on here too wink Little Angel Toofy Grin

Very Happy

It's actually a great idea. I only started skiing last year and after four dry slope lessons and a day at Glenshee went to the 3V with a mate who was a very good teacher and took a lot of video which I was forced to sit through every evening. Can't deny it was pretty embarrassing at times but a masssive help being able to see what I was doing wrong.

I'll probably get slapped down here but I haven't been for any in resort lessons and really don't think I've suffered for it. My mate (snowhead's own andyrew) really brought me on and by the end of the week I'd skied 330 downhill km (according to ski tracks) and got several blacks under my belt. If I'd spent the week in ski school I'd have got to do a red on the final day if I was really lucky. Obviously it depends on the person you're going with and your own aptitude but I'm massively glad I wasn't in lessons that week.

Anyway, Skivirgin77, if you're anything like me you'll be instantly hooked. Have been on one trip this season already, have another booked in March and am soooo close to booking another week.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 23-01-13 21:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

As for advice...get a well-paid job (if you haven't already) and be prepared to have a semi-permanent feel of being broke when you know you shouldn't be

I've just totted it up and my introducing swiftoid, to skiing last year has so far cost him about £2600 with clothing, skis boots, 3 trips away (and he's just scouting round to see if he has any spare grandmothers to sell to finance another one the week after the next one). I don't think I could have been responsible for a more expensive addiction. BEWARE Twisted Evil

(But after suffering from this same addiction for 31 years (and now 53 ski weeks abroad) I can't think of a better reason to be poor snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead )
snow report
Skivirgin77,

Welcome to Snowheads. Hope you have a blast ( Puzzled wink Laughing ).

I agree with all the comments to join a ski class. I remember my first lessons - absolutely hillarious, I really didn't have a clue!

Make sure you take things at the pace you feel happy with. Oh .....and have fun!!
snow conditions
swiftoid, for every person who is happily hooked on skiing by a skilled and patient friend, there are probably several who are put off for ever by well-meaning but unskilled friends (or husbands, quite often). After just one lesson in Hemel I personally think the OP would be much better off having lessons. Her BF can then go and have a good blast, and they can ski together afterwards.

Yes, some people are "naturals", but most of us aren't.
latest report
Skivirgin77 wrote:
Gee thanks Chassuer - I was just beginning to like you too! wink

Laughing

Don't mention it....22 weeks later and 11 years on, I can still avidly recall making a complete FUBAR of my first attempts - never laughed so much in the evenings and never popped so many ibuprofen to get out of bed in the mornings Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

any other advice or words of wisdom would be gratefully received

Just relax and enjoy it because when you get out there the week will go so quickly you'll be returning home in no time and wanting to book another week.

I only started about 7 years ago and now do 2 or 3 weeks a season. It does cost a fortune but being in the mountains and fresh air is worth every penny. You'll wish you started years ago.

Working on your fitness is 100% the right thing to do. Lessons will be physically demanding, you will fall and need to keep picking yourself up and your technique won't be efficient but that's all part of the learning curve. Any training beforehand will lessen the fatigue. If you live near London, Profeet do free Ski fitness training sessions on alternate Wednesday evenings.

And remember ... relax and enjoy. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Skivirgin77, whatever you do, don't get talked into skiing back down to Ischgl! Its all red runs and get very icy and bumpy in the afternoon.

Ischgl is a nice place, if a bit expensive, I'm sure you'll have a good time.
snow conditions
I second all advice so far.

I was a boyfriend who dragged her girlfriend along skiing. We're now husband and wife so it wasn't a total disaster! Very Happy

Definitely get a weeks worth of lessons when you go, and go every day, hangover or not. If you miss a day, you'll feel way behind the group when you return. My wife still attends ski school on our current ski holidays. Partly for the tuition but also because she enjoys the company of a fun group of similar ability people. It also means I get the morning to go where I want and we ski together in the afternoon. If she's tired by mid afternoon she retires to the bar/chalet and I get a few more exciting runs in to finish the day off. She did panic on our first ski holiday and the second, and a bit on the third (even in ski school)... she has her moments even now six years on if I'm honest, but she does enjoy it. She's a mellow skier looking for gentle picturesque skiing rather than full on adrenaline. I think it’s important to establish what 'type' of skiing you enjoy - it’s a holiday after all. One trick to get ahead she adopted was to offer the instructor a free night out on the beers at the end of the holiday providing he taught her how to parallel ski... at my expense of course, but it worked! Also don't be tempted to take advice from other 'holiday skiers', a bit like learning to drive; they potentially could pass on bad habbits.

Definitely do not be pushed into skiing areas other skiers in the group 'recommend', to ski as a group they must join you on YOUR slopes that you've already done in your lessons, not the other way around.

On the topic of Hemel Hemsted (or any other ski centre), I'm in two minds... I went to the Milton Keynes indoor ski centre just before we went skiing one year and every other person had the same idea- it was rammed and frankly so over crowded it was a little dangerous. My wife did a few runs but I suggested she didn't stay very long- it was doing nothing for her confidence having so many people around her zipping past (she'd been bulldozed by a snowboarder one holiday before). If thats the case when you go - don't let it put you off, the width/space of a proper slope is sooooo much better.
snow report
dredgey wrote:

On the topic of Hemel Hemsted (or any other ski centre), I'm in two minds... I went to the Milton Keynes indoor ski centre just before we went skiing one year and every other person had the same idea- it was rammed and frankly so over crowded it was a little dangerous. My wife did a few runs but I suggested she didn't stay very long- it was doing nothing for her confidence having so many people around her zipping past (she'd been bulldozed by a snowboarder one holiday before). If thats the case when you go - don't let it put you off, the width/space of a proper slope is sooooo much better.

I agree that conditions on the main slope can be a little itimidating at times. However, if the OP is having beginner lessons (as seems to be the case) she won't be on the main slope, but with an instructor on the teaching slope. There will therefore be much less chance of people zipping past her as only clients taking lessons with instructors are allowed on the teaching slope.
ski holidays
dredgey wrote:

On the topic of Hemel Hemsted (or any other ski centre), I'm in two minds... I went to the Milton Keynes indoor ski centre just before we went skiing one year and every other person had the same idea- it was rammed and frankly so over crowded it was a little dangerous.

At Hemel you can't go on the main slope until you can link your turns. Pure beginners learn in either a fenced-off section or on the smaller slope away from the loons.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My first ever ski trip was to Ischgl about 5 year's ago and I can recommend the ski school. It's a very non-British resort (part of the reason my friends and I like it) but most of the instructors speak English and you will almost certainly end up in a group where English is the common language.

As Skivirgin77's said unless you turn out to be a natural just take the gondola back down - there's no shame in it as the runs back to town tend to get wither very bumpy or, if it's warm slushy and meh.

Assuming you are hiring your boots don't be shy and all British about going back if they don't fit well. Skiing in Jan I saw one the the beginners in the group's skiing transformed over-night by swapping boots.
latest report
Thanks guys...I'll look into profeet as I live near London!

And thanks dredgey...if she went onto marry you it can't be that bad lol. One of the main reasons I opted for Hemel as oppose to MK is that Hemel has its on learner slope netted off and only the classes are allowed on them during lesson times with classes no bigger than 10 people. I definitely think I'll be a chill out skier too lol but who knows...once I get on the slopes I might unleash some kind of hidden beast!! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Iski, Chasseur, Valid points. I've never been to Hemel and now that you say it, I'm sure the lessons at M/Keynes were on a seperate slope. My wife was was returning there to brush up having been skiing for a few holidays before, so wasn't allowed on the smaller slope as she wasn't in a lesson.

No worriesSkivirgin77. True that it must have been fine for her not to bin me after our first ski holiday. Although I'm sure it could have gone the other way if I had tried to persuade her to try other slopes! I just used the time to take pictures/videos of her skiing the slopes she was happy doing. I'm sure you'll be fine at Hemel as Iski, Chasseur, have noted. Its good they have a seperate area for learners to keep out the way of lunatics!

hahaha, I'll look out for you on Ski Sunday!
snow conditions
Skivirgin77, I used Pro-feet a couple of months back for replacing old boots - they're pretty good. Needed some minor adjustments after first week in them which they did and all seems well now....though will be better able to report on that in a couple of weeks Toofy Grin

You need to book and allow about 2 hours - I'd recommend Arek, he seemed to really know his stuff.

Alternatively, you could try Snow & Rock at Hemel where you have the advantage of being able to try the boots out and have them adjusted if needs be - recommend George without any hesitation - he's just been doing the fitting for my son. Very knowledgeable and a really nice guy. No booking system there - just first come first serve.

If you really take to the skiing during the lessons at Hemel, for sure invest in probably the best piece of equipment you will ever appreciate.
snow report
I taught Mrs Anarski to ski at Ischgl. Somehow she still puts up with me.
Ischgl is a great resort for learning because, as a beginner you don't get left at the bottom of the mountain all week. Instead you will all travel up on the gondola lift each morning with everyone else and as a beginner you can ski comfortably on the easy slopes around Idalp - where you can meet your friends for lunch. Later in the week you can move on to the easy slopes above Alp Trida - well groomed and comforting gradients.
On NO account must you try to ski back to the village - ALWAYS take the lift back down - it's no shame - loads of people do it to avoid the hopelessly busy run back.
I took Mrs Anarski down the home run and it was almost the end of it.
and take a bit of extra spending money - It's seriously expensive there - I remember seeing a pair of goggles for EUR600 (and that was 2001...) Shocked what on earth was I doing in the Bognor shop?
latest report
pam w wrote:
swiftoid, for every person who is happily hooked on skiing by a skilled and patient friend, there are probably several who are put off for ever by well-meaning but unskilled friends (or husbands, quite often). After just one lesson in Hemel I personally think the OP would be much better off having lessons. Her BF can then go and have a good blast, and they can ski together afterwards.

Yes, some people are "naturals", but most of us aren't.

I appreciate what you're saying pam.

Btw, I wouldn't say I was a 'natural'. Far from it really. I was worked very hard but it did me the world of good being with someone who seemed to get a kick out of seeing me improve and knew the area really well so knew where to take me to always be pushing me just enough to keep improving without freaking me out too much. I went to LDA with a different friend in December and had a whale of a time but if that had have been my first trip I wouldn't have had nearly as good a time as I had in the 3V last year. The mate I went with in Dec is a pretty decent skier but just doesn't have that teaching ability hence my ' Obviously it depends on the person you're going with' comment. I know I got extremely lucky on my first trip and for that I'll be eternally grateful!
snow conditions
Defecating and pooping. What is the younger generation coming to. rolling eyes

ski holidays
Skivirgin77 wrote:
I definitely think I'll be a chill out skier too lol but who knows...once I get on the slopes I might unleash some kind of hidden beast!! Very Happy Very Happy

A few Williams mit Birne* and the hidden beast will come out in the Ischgl apres ski bars, even if it doesn't make an appearance on the slopes!

* Pear schnapps, traditionally served with a piece of pear schnapps-infused pear. Always best to have a beer chaser, to take away the taste and does tend to make you happy and immature - just right for singing/'dancing' along to euro-pop.
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:

* Pear schnapps, traditionally served with a piece of pear schnapps-infused pear. Always best to have a beer chaser, to take away the taste and does tend to make you happy and immature - just right for singing/'dancing' along to euro-pop.

I resemble that Laughing

Though I actually quite like the taste... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
One thing that is a little odd about the Ischgl group ski school is that it runs from 11:15am to 2:15pm, with ~30 min for lunch. It's the only place I've ever done ski school but I'm told it's more normal to have ski school 9:00am to 12:00. Just tell the boyfriend to have an extra boiled egg at breakfast as he will have to wait till 2:15 before he can meet up with you and buy you lunch ^_^
ski holidays
Ugh. I came to this thread hoping to cack my pants and post 'ME TOO!'. Imagine my disappointment when it was about skiing.

Having only learned recently myself, I think that the indoor lessons are a bit of a waste. You spend so long queuing for the drag lift, and the run is so short that I think it's a bit of a waste. What takes an hour to 'get' in MK takes about 15 minutes on an actual slope
snow report
akisuan wrote:
Having only learned recently myself, I think that the indoor lessons are a bit of a waste. You spend so long queuing for the drag lift, and the run is so short that I think it's a bit of a waste. What takes an hour to 'get' in MK takes about 15 minutes on an actual slope

I'd say exactly the opposite. We did about two weeks of lessons in Hemel Hempstead before ever hitting the Alps, and when we got onto a real mountain we found we could quite comfortably ski down most of it. Of course the real slopes were so much better Happy but I don't regret the time or money spent at the Snow Centre at all -- indeed we're going back there in a few weeks time for more lessons (with an outside provider this time).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy