Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter walking in Morzine Area

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can'f ind any threads for this subject.
On Sunday we are arriving at Morzine village. There are 11 skiers and three middle aged ladies who plan to walk. (not snowshoe) Any ideas of suitable walks in the area? By suitable I mean not too much climbing involved. Happy to take lifts though. It would be an advantage if they could meet the skiers for lunch now and again.
The circuit of Lac Montriond seems a good bet.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rob Piercy, lots of people ask about "non-skiing" activities but you're right, not much specific discussion. I can't contribute about Morzine but I just thought I'd make the point that snowshoeing need not be difficult and they are cheap to hire. I have walked a lot of the prepared winter walking paths in my own area and, depending on conditions, they can be slippery, even on the flat, and VERY slippeyr if there's any incline (which there invariably is, given that this is the mountains). Using snowshoes can make you feel very much more secure underfoot, so you can stride out purposefully, rather than shuffling along.

There are some route where snowshoes are compulsory.

I'd be very surprised if Morzine tourist office didn't have leaflets about walks. Maybe on their website too?

If they are walking in normal walking boots, buying "crampon" things to stretch over the bottom will be a very worthwhile investment. Ski shops in resort will sell a selection.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Up the Vallee de la Manche in the general direction of the Tete de Bostan can be nice. The Auberge les Terres Maudites at the head of the valley is pretty good for lunch.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rob Piercy, the cross-country skiing trails are a good thing to explore and are sufficiently pisted that you don't need snowshoes. There are nice cross-country trails at the top of the Chavannes lift in Les Gets (which takes you over to Morzine and back, but it's not very easy to access at the Morzine end) and the top of the Mt Chery bubble - the former actually has a proper "pietons" route.

The paths aren't too steep and will generally be fine in ordinary footwear if it's not too icy. (I had to walk down a section of cross-country track yesterday (as I'm a wimp) and it was fine - even at 7:30am).

There is also a cross-country trail from the top of the Super Morzine lift - although it's significantly steeper and I'd be cautious of it unless it's soft(ish) underfoot.

As gorilla suggests, they can also walk down the Vallee de la Manche from the centre of town.

They can also walk through the Parc Sante - the park that runs down the valley between Morzine and Montriond and that starts from just by the swimming pool under the Super Morzine lift.

One option, if they are worried about slipping, is to buy some of the rubber "crampons" that you can slip on over normal boots/shoes. Either buy in advance from eBay or from the big(ish) shoe shop just by the tourist office.

I agree with [b]pam_w[b] that it's worth considering snowshoes, which really are a doddle to use. With snowshoes they also have the option of walking up some of the less steep pistes, such as Bluet in Les Gets.

It's worth saying that the swimming pool and health spa (sauna and steam room) are very good and it's worth suggesting that your ladies consider taking that cossies!

There are also a few places that do health treatments, massages and such...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

the cross-country skiing trails are a good thing to explore and are sufficiently pisted that you don't need snowshoes.

walking or snowshoeing on the XC pistes here in Les Saisies is absolutely forbidden! We did a winter walk once, using snowshoes to start with as on the first part of the trail they were compulsory. It ended at a road, and it seemed so boring just to walk back up the road that I found a more interesting route, just using the ordinary map. I hadn't realised that the route I'd worked out took us right through the XC route and we got yelled at a few times by athletic "skaters" - though we were most careful, obviously, not to trample on the nice classic tracks. I felt very out of place! Embarassed

I've spent three weeks doing lessons in the XC area now (still walk down steep bits though.....) and have never seen a single walker or snowshoer, so I guess other people obey the rules. The XC area would provide some super walks, if it was allowed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, some of the trails I 'snowshoed' on recently in Les Gets were shared tracks, though these bits were very wide. Room for the world and their dogs (lots of them). The areas where walkers weren't welcome on XC pistes were clearly signposted and perhaps the narrower tracks. Certainly saw some VERY athletic skaters, including the local team, but was particularly impressed by a couple who appeared to have come straight up the mountain to about 1500m on touring skis, crossed the XC piste and continued straight up a steep bank towards the summit without any hesitation or sign of fatigue - they had to have been in their late 70's Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

was particularly impressed by a couple who appeared to have come straight up the mountain to about 1500m on touring skis, crossed the XC piste and continued straight up a steep bank towards the summit without any hesitation or sign of fatigue - they had to have been in their late 70's

Mmm. I see quite a few of those - they really provide a great vision of what is possible! Now that I have tried to learn some XC skiing (and found it very difficult to emulate either that graceful "tonique" loping which they use to make short work of uphill sections or the balance needed to do those "pas tournants" on the downhill bits I appreciate the skills of the occasional XC skier you see on their pixie skis on blue downhill pistes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Brilliant. I'm new to snowheads and I'm seriously impressed by how quickly people respond with very practical advice. The 'ladies' do use Yactracs crampons, but I shall cetainly suggest that they try snowshoes. Might be tempted myself if we get a bad weather day. I'm now in my sixties and it's one thing I've always regretted is not trying ski touring or ski mountaineering. Thank you to all who responded.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marmotte16 wrote:
The areas where walkers weren't welcome on XC pistes were clearly signposted and perhaps the narrower tracks.

+1
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Clearly signposted here too - at the main entrance to the XC area!

Rob Piercy, you should have a go. Having a "winter holiday" with a bit of walking, snowshoeing, XC skiing etc is really very pleasant - nice alternatives to being on the lifts 9 - 5. And more merciful on the body, as we get older. More aerobic exercise, less hammering on knees. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, I have bought my own snowshoes now as I enjoyed it so much and found it a pain hiring/returning for odd days here and there. I bought some with a downhill device which should help my unstable knee. 13yr old just ran downhill in deep crispy crust snow without a care but I struggled with that Laughing Uphill was much easier! A very pleasant alternative to skiing and a different way to enjoy the mountains, away from New Year pistes for a bit.

Good calorie burner too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rob Piercy, Les Gets have maps with marked XC, walking, snowshoeing etc all colour coded to give you an idea of what kind of trails they are and whether 'pisted' or not, so I would be surprised if they didn't have the same in Morzine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Clearly signposted here too - at the main entrance to the XC area!

XC seems to be a (very, very) minority sport here - so things seem a bit more relaxed!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, Les Saisies likes to see itself as a top nordic resort (and its comparative advantage certainly lies there). The nordic area really is terrific, not that I yet have the skills to explore it all - though by using a drag lift you can get up to the top without effort. I suspect in years to come I will spend more time there. And I think I'll be glad they don't allow the hoi polloi in there - and most particularly that they don't allow the hoi polloi's dogs!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy