Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Carvers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'd like a pair of skis to complement my Whitedot Ones, which are pretty fun, but not great on hard piste conditions.

I'm a level 7 skier on the Edge & Wax scale (so early advanced), 5 foot 9 and 80 kilos. I'm after a piste carver that is relatively stiff but still a bit forgiving, as my skills really are not up to race skis and their ilk. I've sort of decided on the K2 AMP Charger - does anyone have any experience of this? Tried a Rictor in the USA in December, and it';s still a little too compromised "all mountain" - I want something distinctly different to my Whitedots, which are 173cm twin tips and 89mm underfoot.

According to Edge & Wax, a 167cm would be best for me, given its stiff nature, my ability level and what I would like it for (morning piste skiing!) - and that sounds fine to me, as a stiff, flat-tailed piste carver in 174 (the next size up) is a bit daunting. Happy to get last season's model, which can be bought for about £350 in 167cm with bindings, which is a little under 40% off RRP, which seems OK to me.

Does anyone have any experience of this ski? Or have alternative suggestions? Please bear in mind that I want it only for fast, controlled piste carving (so off piste ability completely irrelevant), and that I am an improving intermediate to early advanced skier, and really don't want something that only an expert/racer will really find rewarding! Something a little forgiving of technique deficiencies is needed - I want to have fun and improve technique, not be miserable for 90% of the time with 10% of heaven on a pair of racing monsters...

Any tips/suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 9-01-13 13:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS - could not find a pair to demo in the USA, yet they are supposedly popular skis! Also, it was a powder-fest out there, so would have been the wrong conditions to try them in. i want them for cold Euro mornings after a week of no fresh snow (fairly typical of my trips, it seems!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can get the 2010 K2 Chargers for £285 at the mo w/bindings...

I'm in a similar boat but want something that will be more 70% piste 30% off-piste. And as far as abilities go, according to my 'pro' friends, I'd be somewhere between Intermediate to Adv.Intermediate even though I've only ever done 5 days of skiing in my life (pick things up pretty quickly and have pretty much no fear/sense)...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I'd be somewhere between Intermediate to Adv.Intermediate even though I've only ever done 5 days of skiing in my life

ROTFLMFAO!!!!! Ryan_w, so you picked up bumps, piste, park, steeps and powder in five days did you??????? Well, Superman, come on down!!!!! I've been skiing for over twenty years was trained by the Army to ski tour, have had weeks of lessons over that time and I would only count myself as 'Adv.Intermediate' and even that with some trepidation in some areas. The next step up is 'Expert' and that's for ski professionals and very gifted amateurs as far as I am aware. By 'pro' what do you mean exactly and are they self-certified as well???

Harry Flashman, From what others have said here you should be fine with the K2's, if you want to look at something else try Lines or Movement - or Volkl.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't fall off your chair and hurt yourself will you... Just call me gifted.

I did everything you mentioned bar park and any serious powder. I picked things up very quickly even with my fractured ankle.

You'll see me at the X-Games this winter Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ryan_w, love it! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ryan_w wrote:
You can get the 2010 K2 Chargers for £285 at the mo w/bindings...

I'm in a similar boat but want something that will be more 70% piste 30% off-piste. And as far as abilities go, according to my 'pro' friends, I'd be somewhere between Intermediate to Adv.Intermediate even though I've only ever done 5 days of skiing in my life (pick things up pretty quickly and have pretty much no fear/sense)...

Ryan - where?! Best I could find werethe 2011s for £350, but totally fine with the 2010 variants...

Edge & Wax had the 2010s for £260, but sold out... Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ryan_w wrote:

You'll see me at the X-Games this winter Wink

I'll have fries with my Big Mac then thanks... Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Heh! My claims to be an early advanced skier come on the back of 20 or so weeks' skiing, so Ryan's due to be fully awesome by the time he's got to my time served!

Another question chaps - E&W have the 2011 skis for £260. With a set of Quiver Killers, will I be able to use my Jester SChizo bindings on them? They aren't really a piste binding, rather a park/freeride rig - but does it really matter, apart from a bit of extra weight and some big brakes?

Thinking I may actually have to talk to a ski shop about this...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 9-01-13 20:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haha.... Have McNuggets since they've healthier for you!

The skis are on offer on sportspersuit.com

I'm eyeing them up as I type!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ryan_w, Ignore the stick, this lot are mainly social blue runners.

Hard core ski chat is on TGR. They will be more welcoming of your gnarlyness.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Harry Flashman, how about https://www.skitreff.de/de/ski-sport/ski/allround-carver/kneissel_black_star.html It's disappointing that they can't spell Kneissl, but never mind!

Superb, well made, heavy, grippy, yet slightly forgiving piste carvers for a bargain price Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sportpursuit have the 2010 K2 Chargers for £285 , only 160 and 167 left though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wags wrote:
Harry Flashman, how about https://www.skitreff.de/de/ski-sport/ski/allround-carver/kneissel_black_star.html It's disappointing that they can't spell Kneissl, but never mind!

Superb, well made, heavy, grippy, yet slightly forgiving piste carvers for a bargain price Smile

Looked at these as I saw a pair for sale - but could find very little writen up on them, let alone a pair to demo anywhere!

I like the way they look like some sort of cold war Russian fighter jet, though; to be paired with one of those Darth Vader style full face helmets being discussed elsewhere on the forum. I'd look awesomely 80's while falling over at high speed, at least.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy