Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powerstrap - does it go inside or outside the shell?

Poster: A snowHead
ansta1, Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Outside. Some of my boots won't allow anything else.

My understanding of the powerstrap from back in the day was that they were a 'fifth' buckle with a more elastic nature, i.e. they provided a greater range of fitting options and reduced upper tounge forward flex whilst giving some rebound characteristics and so could reduce 'shin bang' and give you a small amount of 'pop' when releasing forward presure (hence the name 'Powerstrap'). I don't see how some of these characteristics could be achieved if the strap was inside the tounge. If when you use the phrase 'booster strap' you are talking about the US product of that name - they go on around the 'boot cuff top' (manufacturers instructions) which I assume means 'inside' (as per the picture above).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RattytheSnowRat, interesting so we could technically be talking about different technical solutions, with slightly different methods of use.

The plot (albeit very thin still) thickens......
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ansta1, I think it's one of those issues where different people use the same bit of kit for different reasons. The booster strap guys say you can reduce shin bang by putting their product between the tounge and the liner to provide a padded infill. I understood Powerstraps were suppossed to keep the tounge in contact with your shin at all times thus preventing shin bang that way. Horses for course, I suppose. I don't get shin bang using Powerstraps on the outside so I can guarantee that works but then I don't get shin bang with the one set of
boots I have with a really small strap that just covers the liner inside but provides no padding for the tounge at all. Go figure. I do know racers originally used Powerstraps to provide maximum tightness at the top of the boot which was only achieved by going 'outside' (visons of lycra clad guys lying on their backs whilst equipe manfully tugged at their Powerstraps to get that last ounce of pressure!) to get the elastic 'pop'.

One of the other uses for Powerstraps was supposed to be that you could loosen the upper buckles a notch or two but use the Powerstrap to maintain the top fit which aided comfort. I've done that a few times towards the end of the day when my foot heat is re-moulding the footbeds on every turn and my calf starts to wallow a bit and I can't be bothered with the buckles - just yank the strap tighter and go!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the subject of aesthetics: Am I doing something wrong, as no one can see my powerstrap when I'm skiiing? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
midgetbiker wrote:
On the subject of aesthetics: Am I doing something wrong, as no one can see my powerstrap when I'm skiiing? Puzzled

I bet you don't wear your underpants on the outside either! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gatecrasher, he does!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I finally got a pair of boots with a footbed that cured an old foot pain issue (both when skiing and golfing, or even walking depending on the shoes) from Heierling in Davos - they fit the Atomic ski team, just so you know they agree with CEM - my boots are Atomic, and they advised that it can be down to your personal choice, but that arranging that the strap is inside on the liner will provide a much more secure fit... and it does. Outside is easier, but the inside is no big deal either (at least with a single width strap on the Atomic Hawx boots anyway).

And once it's done, no-one can see it anyway.. so it does come down to your preference, but give the inside method a try - i hadn't done it before, and it is a better method.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ansta1 wrote:
This is how my boots are 'according to the manufacturer images' supposed to be done up.

Ansta,

It may be that the 2 strap mechanism Atomic employ specifically makes it easier to wear 'correctly' on the inside.

p.s. If you are concerned about what people think when you strap up inside or outside just wear it outside when you are in a cool, whatever mood and wear it inside when you are in an anal, I do everything so correctly mood. This way you'll be sure to get your cucumber sandwiches with mayo all over them or with the crusts off depending on how the garcon reads your mood- perfect!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
horgand,

trust me i am not concerned in any way what i look like when skiing......

as for the inside outside discussion i dont understand what you are saying. Are you saying that my dual straps are better suited to going inside the shell?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ansta1, It's hard to tell from the picture but that looks like a dual solution - the bottom strap bites on the shell and the top one on the liner which would explain why they are split in the first place- best of both worlds!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
ansta1, It's hard to tell from the picture but that looks like a dual solution - the bottom strap bites on the shell and the top one on the liner which would explain why they are split in the first place- best of both worlds!

that is exactly what it does, lower bit goes on the shell, upper section on the tongue of the liner, works well but not perfect (like most stuff)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM wrote:
RattytheSnowRat wrote:

that is exactly what it does, lower bit goes on the shell, upper section on the tongue of the liner, works well but not perfect (like most stuff)

yeah but thats kind of by default as the tongue of the liner sits higher and given its one strap doing the tensioning its only going to go as tight as the one that strap that is the hardest to do up so probably the one on the shell rather than the one on the tongue, but i agree there may be an element of enhancement of tighening in the top strap pulls the tongue tighter and allows the shell to go tighter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ansta1,

despite your claims to the contrary- you're definitely a cucumber with crusts off merchant (i.e. i do everything so correctly that I'm nearly perfect) e.g. Your boots have an optimisied hybrid solution for the power strap that tries to be the best of all worlds yet you're here belllyaching over whether it really achieves this worthy goal i.e. you're not just a crusts off merchant, you like to know exactly how much of the crusts removed is considered optimal Smile)

I suggest 3 hours in front of a full length mirror tightening the straps inside and out to get the perfect look & balance for your sense of satisfaction!!

Just be careful not to fall over when you are checking they look right on the fly while skiing though!! (a plaster paris never looks good with straps in or out in my experience Smile)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
incidentally where did you get your boots as I'm looking for a pair of Atomic 130s currently? thanks
latest report
horgand,

incidentally i dont actually mind as i think i do my powerstraps up the only way that it is technically possible. Very Happy I was however curious as to what is the correct way of dong things as if you read the full thread i have been using my powerstraps on the outside (but under my ski trousers sothey cant be seen for well over 10 years) and it seems it is not a simple in or out answer.

btw I got my boots from colin at solutions4feet and am a very happy bunny.
latest report
coops1967 wrote:
I finally got a pair of boots with a footbed that cured an old foot pain issue (both when skiing and golfing, or even walking depending on the shoes) from Heierling in Davos - they fit the Atomic ski team, just so you know they agree with CEM - my boots are Atomic, and they advised that it can be down to your personal choice, but that arranging that the strap is inside on the liner will provide a much more secure fit... and it does. Outside is easier, but the inside is no big deal either (at least with a single width strap on the Atomic Hawx boots anyway).

And once it's done, no-one can see it anyway.. so it does come down to your preference, but give the inside method a try - i hadn't done it before, and it is a better method.

Must try that with my Hawx, have always dome them up outside as the what the picture show!
ski holidays
horgand,

just to clarify i am most unlikely to change the way i do my powerstraps up, but this query as started, not by me i hasten to add has highlighted the fact that there is no clear answer as to how fitted powerstraps or indeed after market booster straps are to be used.

I am sure your comments were tongue in cheek

Very Happy
ski holidays
Two whole pages to say yes or no or it don't matter . . . Hmmmmm anyone would think it was Summer wink
snow report
Masque, inny or outee masque?
snow report
ansta1, You'll have to catch me with my pants down to know.
ski holidays
i have a theory about innee and outee and small vs large feet (well actually its my BIL's) but my experience holds it true this far....
snow conditions
I have average feet and big hands and yer inny/outee question is more a lard based equation
snow report
Masque, it is a female orientated theory......
ski holidays
Masque, ansta1, get a room
latest report
red 27, cant he already has one with oliviadb......
snow conditions
red 27, cant he already has one with oliviadb......
ski holidays
red 27, I slide 4 ways
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we are still talking about power straps?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy