Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powerstrap - does it go inside or outside the shell?

Poster: A snowHead
Please forgive the stupid question, but is the Powerstrap supposed to go outside the cuff (as in the left-hand picture) or inside (as in the right-hand picture)????

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EKxpxnNw2Ns/SmoYTS2gmjI/AAAAAAAAAEo/JAwhOpiodQ8/s1600/power+strap.JPG

chemistry
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
outside.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ansta1,

That's what I'd always thought, but I stumbled across this article which started to make me doubt myself!!!!

http://skiblog-skiblog.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/balance-tip-that-is-slightly-more-than.html

chemistry
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the powerstrap is SUPPOSED to go inside the shell... HOWEVER this doesn't look as neat and it is almost as effective on the outside if the cuff buckles are done up properly

some shells have marks to allow the cuff to be cut to make it easier to put the strap inside, most don't

the purpose of putting it inside is to stop the "seatbelt effect" (when you hit the brakes in the car and your body slams into the seatbelt) by tightening the powerstrap around the leg and liner only you can get it snugger and reduce this effect..... it takes a bit of effort and some just don't fit well so the manufacturers end up making them to go round the shell

try it both ways, see if you feel the difference and make a decision from personal experience
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chemistry, they go on the outside, but if someone suggests using them on the inside for a particular reason then try it you fancy. I am sure one of the qualified instructor folk will be along shortly to advise why it is or isnt a good idea. After all one thing snowHead do really well is disagree.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM, well thats news to me, mine has always gone outside the shell, and my atomics have a double strap at the front, not sure how that is going to go inside the shell?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
try both; do which feels best
i have a slight preference for inside myself
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
like the rest of my life, being doing it wrong forever... Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^^ i wrote that without reading CEM's comment
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
just read CEMs post again, and it kind of implies that it depends on the boot, is that what you are saying Colin?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Inside for me, bit of a faff to get the shell out of the way but it feels much better.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ansta1 wrote:
CEM, well thats news to me, mine has always gone outside the shell, and my atomics have a double strap at the front, not sure how that is going to go inside the shell?

thats why Atomic use the double strap on some boots, because it is a PITA to put it inside..... with a standard strap it can make a difference in terms of fit and control, BUT! it is all about aesthetics and convenience
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

thats why Atomic use the double strap on some boots, because it is a PITA to put it inside..... with a standard strap it can make a difference in terms of fit and control, BUT! it is all about aesthetics and convenience

so in terms of original design, are my tracker 130s designed (as in originally intended use) to go inside or outside or a bit of both?

confused of 33 railway cuttings, east cheam
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM,

Thanks for chiming in. I'm pleased too that it wasn't an entirely foolish question!

chemistry
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clearly not chemistry, proof if ever there was truth in the old adage, there is no such thing as a stupid question...

goes off start start a poll on who wears their powerstrap inside, and who wears it outside the cuff.... Very Happy
snow report
ansta1,

Do it!
snow conditions
On the outside for my Salomons as they have a belt loop thingy on the outside (180deg round from where the strap is attached) to feed it through.
latest report
red 27, same here. Wrapping it round the inner cuff would be incredibly awkward if not physically impossible.
snow report
I do both.

I find that putting it inside the shell makes the boot feel stiffer.

Is this just because it's having the same effect as tightening up the buckles a bit?
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, both? On the outside on the left foot and the inside on the right?

Or 'in' Mon, Weds & Fri, 'out' Tues, Thurs & w/ends?

I'm still slightly worried that I'm having my leg pulled here... Confused
latest report
red 27, Laughing

No, honest, although it's a booster strap I have. For off-piste, bumps and stuff I'll keep it over the top of the shell, but for stuff on piste I'll put it under the shell to stiffen myself up a bit. Fnarr!!
latest report
Mosha Marc, ahha, the fog lifts.... so you're talking about a separate strap - not part of the original boot package? I can see that you'd be free to put this wherever you liked (within the bounds of reason and decency!)

Sort of like a c*** ring for ski boots? sort of...

I think I might get one now I think about it Toofy Grin
latest report
red 27 wrote:
I'm still slightly worried that I'm having my leg pulled here... Confused

Depends how tight you have your power strap Wink
snow conditions
red 27, that's right. But I did take the original one off first.
snow conditions
chemistry, no idea where the strap is supposed to go but I would suggest you ski with socks and pants on rather than those naked legs Shocked Laughing
snow report
feefee,

Very Happy
snow conditions
feefee,

Don't knock it until you've tried it (+ you save a fortune in ski socks, thermals, salopettes, etc.)

chemistry

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
This is how my boots are 'according to the manufacturer images' supposed to be done up.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1,

snow report
Mosha Marc, so each make and probably, each boot in fact may be slightly different in the way they are designed to be done up and it appears that there is not a clear concenus (based on a very very small response to this thread so far) as to how people actually use powerstraps.
ski holidays
Inside for me...
ski holidays
I have Technical Diablo Flame and without digging them out I cannot imagine how the strap could be fitted on the inner shell. Will have a look when I get them out at the weekend though.
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
the powerstrap is SUPPOSED to go inside the shell... HOWEVER this doesn't look as neat and it is almost as effective on the outside if the cuff buckles are done up properly

some shells have marks to allow the cuff to be cut to make it easier to put the strap inside, most don't

the purpose of putting it inside is to stop the "seatbelt effect" (when you hit the brakes in the car and your body slams into the seatbelt) by tightening the powerstrap around the leg and liner only you can get it snugger and reduce this effect..... it takes a bit of effort and some just don't fit well so the manufacturers end up making them to go round the shell

try it both ways, see if you feel the difference and make a decision from personal experience

Well I never! I've learned something today! Shall have a little play around next time I'm out Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Whilst on a CSIA course the trainer showed us his boots which were fitted with TWO, straps one inside and the other outside. If I run gates (infrequently now) I put mine on the inside as it gives a very positive feel to the boot.
snow conditions
so a few of us learn't something new in the past 24 hours. Rarely a bad thing.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
so a few of us learn't something new in the past 24 hours. Rarely a bad thing.

...me most of all!
snow conditions
In summary then, on boots where the powerstrap is factory fitted it goes outside the shell (and indeed anything else is virtually impossible) but booster straps can be worn inside, outside, or both on one or both legs as whim and circumstance dictate.

Going back to the OPs pic it can be observed that the integral powerstrap fitted to his boots is designed to go outside the shell and his attempts to tuck it inside the tongue at the front lead to the HEAD logo being obscured which is a sure a way as any of telling that it's not what they intended.

I'll think about this thread and smile strangely every time I do the chuffing thing up in future Laughing
snow report
red 27,
Quote:

I'll think about this thread and smile strangely every time I do the chuffing thing up in future
+1 Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I'm really torn with this now,

If I wear it on the inside I may be saying to others look at me I need my boots mega tight/stiff
If I wear it on the inside others may be thinking, look at that twit he's got his powerstrap on the inside
If I wear it on the outside others maybe thinking, look at that twit he's got his powerstrap on the outside

I think I'm just going to cut it off. Seems the way to go to avoid confusion all round. Very Happy
latest report
red 27 wrote:
Going back to the OPs pic it can be observed that the integral powerstrap fitted to his boots is designed to go outside the shell and his attempts to tuck it inside the tongue at the front lead to the HEAD logo being obscured which is a sure a way as any of telling that it's not what they intended.

For the record, those aren't my pics/boots/legs/attempts. The pictures are taken from a blog (see link in my second post for the full details and pics in context) but since they illustrated the point perfectly, I just pasted a link in Very Happy

chemistry
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy