Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

New user to the site with a few questions...
(I've not found answers through search function)

Just booked for Zell am See through Directski . The resort says it has a 6.5km run but I can't spot it on the piste maps. I'm guessing it's made of a few runs put together - any one know which?

I think I'm an intermediate skier - I can ski parrallel and can ski reds under control but have only skied in smaller resorts in Italy - mainly Montecampione and managed fine on all their reds and did a short spell in Chamonix last year which we managed half a days skiing on the reds due to too much snow Sad.What are the reds like in Zell?

Thinking of still doing lessons anyway as I've seen a few people recommending them for their social side as much as anything else - wife is coming skiing with me and so is her friend but whilst they'll try the reds they don't want to push themselves and don't like me going off by myself either... anyone know who direct ski use as theor ski school?

We're there for 6 days of skiing - is it worth going to Kaprun or will there be enough skiing in Zell? I aren't bothered about sking runs time after time if they are fun.

thanks in advance - cdl.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The reds are all pretty gentle, you wont have any problems, if you want a good day out, head in the oposite direction to Saalbach-Hinterglemm and do the tour up and down the valley.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks Jimbo, I'll have a word with the girls and try to get them to come along to Saalbach. €45 doesn't seem too bad for the day (don't think our passes will cover it).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zell's a lovely town in a lovely lakeside setting. Not a massive area and not too difficult, probably worth going to Kaprun and Saalbach .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courdelion

The 6.5 km run is from the top of the mountain down to the village of SCHUTTDORF - I think it is called the SCHUTT (left-hand side of the piste map)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The skiing in Zell isn't too challenging, you could probably manage the blacks as well. Definitely worth visiting Kaprun for a day or two just for a change of scenery.

Zell is certainly one of the most stunning resorts I've been too, enjoy!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
albob wrote:
Courdelion

The 6.5 km run is from the top of the mountain down to the village of SCHUTTDORF - I think it is called the SCHUTT (left-hand side of the piste map)

Thanks albob - Makes sense - I'm assuming it is Piste 1 and 10 combined?

Thanks to eeryone else for their responses. Much appreciated, can't wait for the trip now - just 7 weeks to go.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Piccadilly wrote:
The skiing in Zell isn't too challenging, you could probably manage the blacks as well.

This snowheads page confirmed an Irish skier died in 2009. Think it was on a black run which was icy the last time I ran into it.

I would give its black runs the due respect as the icy area was a field of ice gravel (broken up by a snowbasher) not obvious on a side shielded from the sunlight in the middle of a run.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The run down to Schuttdorf is lovely but it is fairly steep at the end - a proper red. Pretty wide though from memory.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would subscribe to saikee's opinion that the Zell black pistes, 13 + 14, are worthy of respect. They are steep and relatively narrow in sections, though the snow conditions can make a big difference.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
People have died on pistes all over the place, I don't think that link is particularly helpful.

Yes they are black runs but any competent intermediate could ski them, they're not that terrifying.

Of course it's up to the individual skier to decide whether or not they are capable of skiing them, they are clearly visible from the lifts. I thought they were nice runs, and I'm certainly no expert. I only remember one point where there is a bit of a leap of faith, but if you stay near the sides, it's fine. (It's a short steep section which was always icy in the middle).

The long red is a great run, a real leg-burner if you do it non-stop. The views are fantastic.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pjd, it is a nice run, but I would personally advise intermediate skiers (as the OP says he is) to consider the gondola, as it can be really nasty at the end of the day if you're not massively competent, and you are knackered and surrounded by lunatics and p*ssheads.

Courdelion, I would also get the bus the Kitzsteinhorn glacier at Kaprun. It's got some very easy sweeping blues and reds. The Maiskogekl at Kaprun itself is IMO the least interesting and enjoyable of the three areas.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Piccadilly, don't entirely agree with you, not all of these runs are in fact visible from the lifts nor is Red 10 (which has in recent memory been graded a black). espri is absolutely right about 13 &14.

What I would say is that any competent intermediate could get down them, not necessarily ski them?

As the post saikee referred to shows, these runs can catch the best of skiers out, anyone who doesn't show the mountain due respect is asking for trouble rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A few comments:

(1) yes, the Kitzsteinhorn is worthwhile for 1 or 2 days, especially when it is somewhat warmer and the quality of the lower parts of the Schmitten slopes might decrease.

(2) if you are seriously considering spending 1 or 2 days at Saalbach-Hinterglemm, do note that the Ski Alpin Card covers both the Zell am See/Kaprun as well as the Skicircus Saalbach-Hinterglemm. The price for such a card is only euro 16 higher, which is considerably less than a day ticket for Saalbach Hinterglemm alone plus that the Ski Alpin Card also covers access tot he ski bus between Zell am See and Saalbach Hinterglemm. Information on these passes can be found here: http://www.schmitten.at/en/prices-schedule/winter-prices/ski-tickets-season-passes.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Sonnenalm area (the right of the piste map) is very pretty and less crowded than the main Zell area. The black don to the bottom is also not as long or as steep as the other runs back to town.

The big difference between Zell and Kaprun is, of course, the height meaning that there are no trees. I found Kaprun rather soulless because of this. The Zell area is much prettier with tree lined runs.

I am normally a mileage kind of skier but found the skiing in Zell nice enough not to get bored in a week.
snow conditions
Tiger2, I'm puzzled by that - I've only been twice, but thought there *were* trees at the top of the Maiskogel (ie in Kaprun)? Is my memory really playing tricks on me? Puzzled
latest report
At the very least the maiskogel is worth being the last run of the day if you've been to the kitz.

Because it is much quieter it is a lovely place to ski anytime however.
FIS run secondly level races in the Maiskogel.

Definitely trees at the top and the mddle
snow conditions
I was unfortunate enough to be born with a healthy does of self preservation (or perhaps its as I've got older?) and from reading a bit on here I'll probably try the reds/blacks at a time when they're more likely to be quiet and less chance of them being icy.

In the Italian resort I've been to a few times it was the same - a pretty easy red from the top of the lift down to the bottom first thing in the morning and an ice rink most of the time after lunch. I could still get down it but I didn't enjoy it and I wouldn't describe it as skiing Smile

Penthht - thanks for the heads up on the Ski Alpin pass. I haven't yet ordered my passes (they weren't any cheaper through the tour operator) so I'll have a look at the link you've posted.

Saikee - Jeysus, if I show that link to the girls they'll be $hi**ing themselves before we get there and I'll probably be banned from that piste - I can't remember hearing about it in the papers, but I think we were away skiing that week. Still it's a good reminder of how vulnerable everyone is and it's better to be safe than sorry.
latest report
I'm out there next month. Going with a few families I know but think I may try to stick to the off piste opportunities as much as possible. Might even get some forest skiing in.
latest report
Penthht ..that is good info on lift pass and Ski Alpin Card , we did not realise this at the time of buying lift pass . I did not know it covered the ski bus fare also ..interesting..do you know if the Salzburg Super ski card covers ski bus also from Zell to Saalbach/Hinterglem ?
latest report
alicia, No they are not, the buses between areas are covered by the Post and not the Bergbahnen. The Salzburger Super Ski card is an arrangement between the different lift companies. The buses within the various lift company areas will be free but not those linking the towns. Classic example of this from the Ski Amadé area is St Johann im Pongau and Wagrain - in both towns all the buses connecting the different areas of pistes are free. But the bus between the two towns are run by the Bundespost (Postbus) and you have to pay, even though you can ski between the resorts on the ski pass quite easily. You will need to pay the bus from the ZamS area to Vorderglemm (first part of the Saalbach area) or take a taxi there and back.

If you do not have a car at your disposal, is it really worth the extra money? I have the Salzburger Superski season pass and can make good use of it because I can easily switch between areas. I think there is a Europa Ski area pass that includes all of ZamS, Kaprun and the Kitzsteinhorn which does include all the buses needed to get to the various areas.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue ..thank you for prompt and helpful reply ..my son is staying in Zell and has the Salzburg Super ski card so I will pass on information.
ski holidays
northernsoulboy, I agree.
ski holidays
northernsoulboy and pjd, indeed on the Maiskogel there are trees, however, Tiger2 is referring to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier.
ski holidays
Im going to Zell on 26th Jan..

can anyone tell me what black run 15 and the far of the piste is like. It looks great for crusing and a spot of lunch but is Black 15 a "Hard black". I've read 13+14 are harder but couldn't find anything regarding run 15.. is this side also not as busy..?

Me and my dad are both intermediates and can do blacks but do avoid the harder ones. As run 15 is the only way down from that side i was just trying to get an idea what its like..
snow conditions
IIRC 15 is not as 'black' as 13 and 14. Has some short steep pitches and can be badly affected by the sun. Think its grading is due to the condition of the run in warm/sunny weather. That area was less busy when we went it's the sunny side.
snow report
Black 15 is not that difficult. I have 4 weeks skiing under my belt and am a timid intermediate and did it last year a good few times. That was me on me 4th week. There is a restaurant almost near the end called Berghotel Jaga Alm and this definately doesn't get as busy as some of the other places off blue and black runs. Our instructor used to bring us there for lunch more often than not because of it. We did 3/4 of black 13 (came at it in through the trees by end of red 2 and also black 6 at the back of the schmittenhohe too and I would say black 13 is the harder of the 3.

Sonnenalm side is generally less busy and there are some great reds over there.
ski holidays
thanks HutToHut,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks bovril_IRL, the Sonnenalm side looks great, hopefully the weather will good for us. Hoping for no low cloud and no snow. If it snows this week that would be great tho.. snowHead
latest report
impingu1984, I agree with HutToHut about Black 15, it has also been graded red in recent memory. Not an enjoyable run IMHO as the first third or more is down a road then its all bits and pieces of little pitches steep and not so steep. It only really exists to have a route down to the valley from the Sonnenalm. It's fine to get home at the end of the day but would otherwise stay above it and just go up and down from the mid station at that side, the reds there are the best runs on the Schmittenhoehe.

13 & 14 are the harder as they are mainly still in shade at this time of year. 13 is mainly ok but has a couple of narrower parts with steepish schusses and turns that can be busy with people who probably shouldn't be there. 14 can be a real bu**er in places, especially if its icy and I would treat it with respect.
snow conditions
Scarpa, Never done it as its way beyond my abilities but just be wary of forest skiing at Zell. Most of it (as I understand) is off limits to due to local nature protection laws and I've heard they come down pretty hard on anyone they catch?
snow conditions
robboj, I viewed Run 15 as a homeward bound route although our nearest lift is the city xpress i think run 15 would offer a shortcut back across.. It doesnt sound too bad so will probably give it a go. We are staying at the Hotel Seehof It sounds nice with the exception of the railway line but we are aware of this.. will save runs 13+14 until later in week if at all.
ski holidays
Avoid Kaprun if it is very cold as the glacier is fairly sheltered from anything resembling sun, is bleak and if there is a hint of wind can be pretty horrid imho.
snow report
impingu1984, see if you can get lockers at Intersport under the City Express station. Makes your apres back to the Seehof so much nicer.
snow report
impingu1984, Be aware that 15 takes you to the Schmittenhoehe base station at the head of the valley and that you'll either have to walk a wee bit down to the top of the toboggan run (Blue 16) or jump on the bus back down to city express. Also, unless they have moved the beginning of the toboggan run nearer the valley base it's more of a walk than the ski map graphic shows Puzzled

One more idea that you might not be aware of because of the way the graphics are drawn on the piste map to show the runs on the back of the mountain, is to go back up to the top station from the Sonnenalm. There's a little two man chair called the Hochzellerbahn which takes you to a point where you can ski down Blue 5 and take the Kappellenbahn back to the top and then come down blue or red 1 or 2 to Mittelstation and then Black 10 to City Express. The only caution on that is its a long old run on tired legs at the days end and that there are two very steep schusses on Black 10 albeit you can ski round them using Blue 12.

I also use the lockers at City Express but be sure to email and book in advance or your likely not to get one. I go the week after you and booked mine last weekend. I'm sure you'll like the Seehof but whilst its not a long walk to the City Express it's far enough to be a real pain with boots on and skis in hand so make sure you get that locker snowHead
ski holidays
Scarpa, ditto to what robboj says. You are actually in the Hohentauern National Park there and the rules are strictly enforced. Ask at the ski school and or the lift office where tree skiing is possible. Or wait until you get to Ben's where it is much easier as it is not a National Park area.
ski holidays
Cheers all for the info. Wasn't aware of the protected status.
latest report
robboj, Will see if we can get a locker... it's not a nightmare if not we'll just have to take our time with the apres walk back. Can not wait.. getting excited now. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy