Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kit me out - Full skiing kit needed for January trip

Poster: A snowHead
£159 though.... you can get cheaper similarly spec'd elsewhere!

OH nearly bought this today (again for vanity reasons- liked the colour- but stopped himself as he doesn't need it)... http://www.estore.tog24.com/nyman-mens-milatex-jacket-forage.html

You could probably get a similar spec even cheaper than this from somewhere like TK Maxx.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

don't scrimp on these, you'll only regret it.

yes, you need good gloves (mitts are warmer) but you can get great bargains in T K Maxx. The latest I bought were Gordini goretex - they cost around £20. Same in Snow and Rock were around £70.

If possible, try on a jacket. As you've discovered, they don't necessarily fit right, and they also "feel" very different. I typically try on at least half a dozen before finding a comfy one. the most comfy jacket I ever had was a Trespass from T K Maxx which did three entire seasons. £50.

If you have two sets of base layers you can "wash and wear".

DON'T buy boots unless you can afford to get them fitted by an experienced bootfitter. If you have the sort of feet which will be happy in a pair bought off the internet they'll be happy in rented boots.

And yes, ditch the blades, rent suitable skis for a beginner and take lessons.

It's impossible for anyone to tell you how cold it will be. Right now, in the French Alps, it's warm and sunny. I saw quite a few lads skiing in jeans yesterday (though I was perfectly comfortable in salopettes, a fleece (cheapest Decathlon) and my ski jacket). But in a short while, looking at the forecasts, it could be 15 below. March is equally unpredictable.

Don't bother with stuff like a North Face fleece. It's not going to be warmer than one from Decathlon or similar and the label will cut no ice (I'm not interested in labels but somebody here said the other day that North Face was now "school run" Twisted Evil )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think it's necessary to spend £100's on a ski jacket or salopettes.

I had a £275 O'neil shell jacket. And Nike Goretex ski pants for about £120.

They were great. They had the odd waterproof zip, fancy pocket and many other technical features I couldn't care less about.

Then last season I bought a cheap jacket in the sale. The make was 'Four squares' and cost £60. Then some salopettes for £50 from surfanic. They looked great but I was dubious they wouldn't perform great.

I took both sets Skiing with me, and alternated which I wore. Both sets performed exactly the same. The pockets in my cheaper jacket still stayed dry despite the lack of waterproof zips, and I didn't feel any warmer or colder in either one.

You may think you're investing in a jacket that will last 5-10 years, and although the material may last, IMHO, you'll get bored of it after 2-3 years.

I'd invest more in the base / mid layers. They'll keep you warm and dry and last a while if you invest properly. I've just bought some smartwool base layers in the sale. Great for warmth, wicking and odour control. You can wear them multiple times without washing. You can buy 1-2 (£40 each in a sale at Go Outdoors) of these instead of 6 synthetic thermals like under armour cold gear, for a weeks skiing. This saves having to pack a fresh layer for each day of skiing.
Also, a good quality fleece. Polartec thermal pro or something like that. I've gone for the Mountain Hardwear Monkey Man fleece (£84 from £120 in Snow and Rock online).

Investing in expensive gloves depends on whether you suffer from cold hands in general or not. My pals have cheap-ish gloves (£20-£30) and never complain. I spend £75 on Dakine fancy ones with liners and still feel like I get frostbite. This year I'm moving onto mitts.

In summary:
-don't be sucked into expensive jackets with over-technical features. Go with something that looks and fits good and is designed for skiing. It will almost certainly come with all the standard features you need. Wind proof/waterproof/snow gaiter/wrist...things.

-Get good base and mid layers to stay warm and odour-free.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks shootinstar9, pam w and RichTraff.

I'm going to Go Outdoors, Snow+Rock and Ellis Brigham this weekend to hopefully get most things

How many pairs of skiing socks would be advised? And are these worn over regular socks?

My current shopping list:

Salopettes
Protest Deny 12 (Unless cheaper can be found)

Jacket
Protest Eagle (Unless cheaper can be found)

Socks
Merino / Smartwool

Gloves
Hestra / North Face / Dakine

Head / Face wear
Beanies / Neck tube / Airhole / Half ski mask

Thermals / Underlayers
Smartwool / Henley Hansen

Midlayers
2 or 3 Zip up fleeces - Trespass / Decathalon (TK Maxx) - Avoiding cotton

Goggles
Oakley / Quicksilver or similar but cheaper

Thanks, George

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 7-01-13 20:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No, not worn over regular socks! Only wear ski socks.

2 or 3 pair of socks. Some people say take a pair for each day, but that means shelling out £60 (or even up to £120) straight from the off which is excessive, so 2 or 3 should be enough to start with.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and Ski Boots - I would like to get my own boots, Snow+Ice state on their website that they offer a fitting service Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks shootinstar9 Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
George 3G wrote:
Oh and Ski Boots - I would like to get my own boots, Snow+Ice state on their website that they offer a fitting service Smile

Good decision to buy, get a good fitter and you will not regret it
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Like I mentioned I'm going to Ellis Brigham and Snow+Rock this weekend, but I may speak to solutions4feet as they aren't too far away from me (hour and a half) and see what their prices are like. I understand their fitting service is more advanced then Ellis Brigham and Snow+Rock's

What kind of price am I looking at?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
George 3G wrote:
What kind of price am I looking at?

puckered wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depends on your feet!!! >£200, probably >£250, maybe >£300, potentially >£350..... all depends on your feet and what the fitter thinks is best for you!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks! I was guessing £350 and that looks worse case scenario Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
George 3G wrote:
Thanks! I was guessing £350 and that looks worse case scenario Very Happy

Maybe.... maybe even more!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah, thought you'd put <350>£350
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
George 3G, I got a really good Animal jacket last year and it is still available on eBay for £40-£50 dependent on colours.

I also have found a number of great bargains on there including a brand new Oakley jacket for £16. Worth a look as you cant beat a bargain!

Happy shopping. Very Happy
snow report
George 3G, just a small note on gloves that some people will probably disagree with - I used to suffer from cold hands and spent a lot of money on different relatively expensive gloves. My hands were the only part that felt cold, I was otherwise warm. However, on a bit of advice I gleaned from reading this website, I tried wearing an extra base layer. That solved the problem right away.

So long as your gloves are reasonably made (and most seem to be), the way to keep your hands warm is to wear an extra layer on your body.
snow conditions
I am the same and always where woollen thermal gloves underneath my ski gloves. This has another advantage that if you needed to get something out you pocket (eg piste map) where you need to take your ski gloves off to do so, then your fingers aren't completely open to the elements
latest report
I tried that Protest eagle jacket on today but was not keen on it. I have been trying a few different jackets on over the past few days. Eider seems to be my favourite but are dearer.
latest report
I don't suffer with cold hands, and skied in a cheap pair of boarding gloves I bought in Andorra for about 20 years. They weren't particularly waterproof and my hands got very sweaty in them, but they survived and I wasn't cold so I didn't replace them.

Last year I treated myself to a pair of Hestra's (must be getting affluent in my old age), and after 2 weeks skiing I'll never wear cheap gloves again.

George 3G,

If you're near Bicester, go to the outlet village. I think there is a North Face store there. There might be something else useful as well. I remember it as mainly a hellish experience of designer boutiques though. Street in Someret and Swindon are better. I think that's the first nice thing I've ever said about Swindon Shocked
ski holidays
Dont forget 2nd hand.

I got myself and Mrs B an Eider Gortex XCR jacket each last year off Flea Bay, paid £35 for one and £28 for the other. Both look almost brand new. I washed them in Nikwax and proofed them with the tex proof spray, and bone dry, warm and water beads of them.
snow report
eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Eider-Gore-tex-XCR-Ski-Coat-/150976576018?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skiing_Snowboarding_Clothing_LE&hash=item2326e7ba12
latest report
double post

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 13-01-13 15:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hi all,

I've got nearly everything ordered now for the trip next week, just stuck on socks, thermals and ski boots

Thermal wise, I tried this on in Go Outdoors which fitted nicely and felt comfortable, but they only have two online and I was going to buy about four?:
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/the-edge-mens-flow-form-base-layer-top-p213222

They also have the leggings, but not in stock in small Sad :
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/the-edge-flow-form-base-layer-leggings-p213183

So I was looking at these, are they similar? Or is there something else better available?
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ls-tee-base-layer-p163136
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/base-layer-long-john-p163121

Sock wise, I've ordered two pairs of these which felt fantastic in store:
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/heat-holder-ski-sock-mens-p212705

But I wanted some Smartwool PHD Medium socks too, again no where is stocking them for size 11/12 feet! Is there an equivlanet?

Lastly, I need some boots for walking around the resort and Apres Ski. I've seen hiking/walking boots mentioned but I didn't want to spend money on something I wouldn't use after the holiday, are there other options?

Thanks!
snow conditions
Quote:

I've seen hiking/walking boots mentioned but I didn't want to spend money on something I wouldn't use after the holiday, are there other options?

George 3G, you need something reasonably sturdy with good grippy soles but no need to spend a fortune. What would you wear to walk the dog (or the girlfriend) in a wet park? Trainers tend to have horribly slippery soles but you can buy "crampon" things in resort to stretch over the bottom, to save yourself falling on icy pavements. If there's deep snow anything other than decent boots will make your feet wet and cold, but you'll survive.
snow report
George 3G, I was in Aldi yesterday and they had a couple of pairs of cheap snowboots (~£20) which would be fine, but I'm not sure about the size.
snow report
Forget these people with their sensible suggestions for jackets and saloppettes. Get yourself one of these, and embrace being hated by everyone on the slopes.

http://www.willyfinder.com/

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 15-01-13 11:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Harry Flashman, fantastic, just fantastic.
ski holidays
http://www.willyfinder.com/productdetail.allinones.mens.php?subcat=1&cat=1&product=5 I am seriously thinking about this now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Harry Flashman, I'm caught between puke or purchase . . . Confused If they're well made and good quality that's a nice price . . . someone stop me . . . . please?
snow report
Damn - nothing left in XL
snow conditions
musher, I was . . . now looking at medium Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
blahblahblah, wus rolling eyes real men can wear pink.
latest report
Harry Flashman, Ha, ha I should have looked here before kitting myself out for this winter. Quite like the red and white hoops, very Where's Wally Laughing
snow report
I was in Aldi over the weekend. Still some ski stuff left but more interestingly for anyone wanting the retro look (roll neck long sleeved shirts like the cotton ones that were touted as ski tops 20 years ago) try the golf section. Some excellent base layers (as I say long sleve roll neck) in wicking material for £9.99.
latest report
The Nevica jacket that Graham Bell was wearing during Ski Sunday looked rather smart and can be picked up for £60.
latest report
I rather liked his cable sweater and cord britches.
snow report
halfhand wrote:
Harry Flashman, Ha, ha I should have looked here before kitting myself out for this winter. Quite like the red and white hoops, very Where's Wally Laughing

That's the one I have - was a gift from a friend as a joke, which backfired as I love it. Somehow he got them for £75 though, which made the suits a complete bargain. He has the thoroughly vile/awesome rhubarb and custard one.

Pretty warm and was OK in wet Austrian powder days (5k/5k, so not the last word in waterproof/breathability) but I have to say the quality doesn't feel top drawer - to answer Masque's question. Not awful - but my regular North Face (jacket) and Analog (trousers) outfit is a lot sturdier and better made. But over three times the price, of course, so it should be!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy