Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kit me out - Full skiing kit needed for January trip

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, you may have seen my other thread regarding advice for my skiing trip later this month. I'm afraid I'm going to need an equal amount of advice when it comes to buying all the necessary gear. I don't mind spending the money where required, but I don't want to spend where it's not required e.g. buying a £400 jacket when a £200 jacket will do the job, and I wouldn't see any benefit from the extra expenditure.

I'm planning to go skiing every year from now on, so I'd like to buy gear that will last. My first question is that have I missed anything off the list below, or is there anything that needs adding to the list? I remember skiing when I was 16 in Switzerland in March, I only wore my jacket the first day and for the rest of the week just wore a long sleeved tshirt due to being too hot. Is this comparable to going in late January, or will it be significantly colder?

Salopettes

Jacket

Socks

Gloves

Hat

Underlayers

Thermals

Goggles - Probably Oakley or Quiksilver

Blades - eBay second hand, anything I should look out for? Or any brands I should try for?

Once again any advice is appreciated and thanks for your time and patience
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Persoanally I havent spent more than £50 on a ski jacket and quite often less. On the googles fronts Oakley are very expensive and i wouldn't ever spend much in buying them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
January is likely to be quite a bit colder than march.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Start with the critical stuff. Socks. I like Smartwool, as do many others. I've got a pair of Falke which were very expensive and no better than the Smartwool, which are half the price and even cheaper if you find a sale on.

Gloves, save trying out a load of different brands, wasting £10-£50 a time, and just buy a pair of Hestra. It sounds like you aren't someone who gets cold easily, so I'd suggest something like their leather gloves, you probably won't need mitts or long gauntlets for January and mine did me fine in pretty cold temps in December.

Thermals I'd just get a thin base layer - lots of layers is much more flexible than trying to buy one base layer that does everything. Loads of options, but frankly I wouldn't spend hundreds of pounds on the things, Sports Direct sell plenty of perfectly good thermals for under £10.

I wouldn't buy Oakley goggles again. Tried them, not worth it. Fit is everything in goggles, they didn't fit me. Don't worry about brands, try out a few pairs, and get what fits your face.

There's a strawman for starters, others can chip in with other ideas.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
January will be significantly colder, avoid cotton altogether.
Baselayers from aldi were quite good last year.
If your on a budget check out TK maxx.
Hat or helmet your choice, if you get a helmet, either take your goggles with you when you buy it or take your helmet when you buy your goggles.
FWIW I got sinner goggles from TK maxx about 6 years ago and they are still scratch free and going strong. There are far better brands out there with more technical specifications, interchangeable lenses etc but it is not essential to pay to through the nose.
I would get thin merino wool socks for best comfort in ski boots. Last year aldi had some reasonable ones this time of year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great advice so far thanks!

I do feel the cold quite easily, I'm 6ft1 and 10 stone so not too much fat on me
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helly Hansen thermals have always served me well. Take two sets. Nothing wrong with aldi/lidl/decathlon merino stuff though.

Goggles should be comfy and the lenses useful to you in whatever weather conditions you come across. I have yellow ones for properly dull days and pink ones with an anti-glare coating for sunnier weather. There are plenty of affordable Oakleys if you are dead set on a brand but I think trying them on is a good idea. If you're getting a helmet, might be an idea to get both at same time and see they're comfortable together.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
George 3G, gloves need to have a light touch around your hand and fingers and close at the wrist to keep warm air around your hand. Tight gloves will get cold very quickly.
I wrote a thead adout starting out here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621 which should answer some of your questions.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok thanks everyone, so starting to fill in the gaps:

Salopettes

Jacket
Budget £50 ish
Something like this? http://www.twoseasons.co.uk/product/silver-by-billabong-in-spray-blue

Socks
Budget

Gloves
Budget

Hat / Balaclarva

Underlayers

Thermals
Aldi / Lidl / Sports Direct - Helly Hansen

Need to try for size

Blades - eBay second hand, anything I should look out for? Or any brands I should try for?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are any of you boogers going to tell him what's missing from his list Puzzled

you are baaaad people Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque wrote:
Are any of you boogers going to tell him what's missing from his list Puzzled

you are baaaad people Twisted Evil

Comedy hat to go with the blades?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are blades frowned upon then?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Claude B, he may want summat to attach then to . . . however 3M epoxy and a sock will be adequate Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
George 3G wrote:
Are blades frowned upon then?

Lots of people huff and puff about them not being skiing. I don't see the problem with people doing what they like. That said as you're presumably hiring boots, why not hire skis at the same time and get a couple of lessons to remind you of the basics?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
George 3G, I wouldn't go quite so far as saying "frowned upon" . . . but they not going to teach you how to ski. They can be great fun but they limit where you can go on the mountain and if you want lessons . . . I don't know, I can't recall seeing a lesson conducted on blades Confused

If you're going for a boozy week with snow and mates then I guess just go for it but you will need is summat to put yer feet into and 'that's' a whole new can of worms! What do you want out of the holiday?
snow conditions
I was thinking of buying my own boots, I was going to ask about those last. I only wanted the blades to try out for a day or so, I will mainly be using the skis I hire
latest report
George 3G, Boots are probably the first thing on the list as second hand for a newbie is almost impossible to get right and they are NOT cheap and may well need another 150 to get them to fit right.

2¢ worth? forget spending money on blades, you'll grow out of them in days, or if you do start out on them be prepared to hire skis as and when you want. But boots are what make the difference between a great holiday and a week of faffin' about without control and possibly in discomfort. Clothing can always have more than one use so it's not a problem if it's not quite up to the job but you can't do that with yer boots.
snow report
Thanks Masque, so you'd recommend buying boots? I've had a look for local places but the only company (Two Seasons) don't seem to sell many online, and I would imagine even less in my local store.

I'm going to the Snowdome at Tamworth next weekend for a bit of a refresher, maybe I can pick some up there
snow report
George 3G, If there's nothing unusual about your feet don't buy yet. There are ski equipment hire Co's in the UK (I'm in the US) that will hire you good equipment that can be fitted reasonably before you go. Alternatively hire in resort, go for the 'silver package and you'll get recent equipment that has been looked after and they'll make them as comfortable as possible for you. At this stage just buy what you need to go with and hire the blades/skis/boots. You can change them daily to find what suits you best and will give you a much better idea of what works for and fits you. Throwing money at kit is not going to make you happy . . . throw it at me and I'll try a smile or two Toofy Grin
latest report
Hubby fancied trying blades so he had a chat with the people we hired from they had no problem swapping his skis for blades for 1 day of the hire. So I would suggest you do the same, book your ski hire havE a chat with them to ask if they would mind if you swapped them for a day to try
latest report
The advantage of hiring in resort is that if anything becomes damaged or if something isn't right you can just pop back to the hire shop to get it sorted.

The first time me and hubby went skiing in Courchevel together (he had skiied with school and on dry ski slope, and I had done about 5 weeks or so with my parents while growing up) he found the hired boots absolute agony and the couldn't offer him anything bigger but could sell us bigger ones which was a bit hmmmmm. However he did discount the boot hire charge from the boots and he had some very good reductions as it was April the last week of the season, the exchange rate also worked in our favour (it was francs as the time) and we ended uP with a very good deal we never regretted buying them.
latest report
George 3G,

For what it's worth I would steer well clear of blades at your stage. That's not (only) because I think they are pointless with little benefit and much higher chance of hurting yourself, but predominantly as since your just learning you will have plenty of fun with a week on skis. I remember when I first started skiing I decided to have a go at this snowboarding thing on day 4 and although a bit of fun it just lost me a days skiing and set my skiing technique back a bit. Blades will let you away with all sorts of bad habits which you will then take across to skiing. As boring as it sounds good technique is crucial to having fun skiing (and not hurting like hell!), and you want to start off on the right foot (or ski!?).

Just my thoughts however, number one go and have fun.

Oh, and if your confident that you will be going every year then buying your own boots would be a great idea. Although in the space of a week you can eventually end up with a hire pair that fit, that can be after days of pain, bruises, blisters etc, and allot of hassle tracking to and from the hire shop. My big regret when my other half learnt to ski was renting boots. By the time we got a decent rental her feet were a bit of a mess, and when we got back she lost a toenail (did not go down well since messed with her girlie shoe wearing choices Laughing )Best to bite the bullet and have a pair that fit for the future. Make sure you wear them a bit around the house before you leave, and if anywhere feels not quite right bring them back to the fitter, the small adjustments they can make give big improvements.

The one bit of kit I would cry if I lost is my boots!!
snow report
SkiG wrote:
The one bit of kit I would cry if I lost is my boots!!

Never! . . . nice shiny new ones Toofy Grin
snow report
Just got a sports direct email and they have No Fear and Novica men's Jackets for £39.99 can't comment on their quality, maybe somebody else can? Certainly the no Fear gloves I bought for my girls from sports direct I am pleased with there quality (though not how the labelled the sizing)
latest report
I got my goggles from Sports direct (Nevica), £15 and they are absolutely perfect, never steamed up for the whole week I was in Tignes.
latest report
Thanks for the advice everyone, especially towards blades, I understand exactly and agree that they aren't a good idea.

I found some nice Billabong jackets on the Two Seasons website yesterday that were reduced from £150 down to £50. I popped into my local shop this morning but even the Small jackets were way too big! I did find a nice Protest Ski jacket though, which I think I'll go for. I also tried on their salopettes which were also a good fit.

For underneath the ski jacket and salopettes am I righ in thinking most people would have thermal leggings, thermal vest and then something like a North Face fleece zip top?

Thanks

George
latest report
I do as I really feel the cold BUT hubby doesn't as he doesn't tend feel the cold.
ski holidays
If you are looking to save a bit of money, try using www.beatmydeal.com - I found the jacket I wanted on the internet and put the details on their site and one of their suppliers was able to beat the deal I found on the exact same jacket by over £50, just need to find salopettes now!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks NickyJ and Swindongary

I'll try some more jackets and salopettes on over the next week or so and then make my mind up and try that website.

How many pairs of thermals and how many fleece underlayers would I need for a week?

Thanks
latest report
What are peoples thoughts on this jacket? Materials wise?

http://www.troggs.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20269&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom
latest report
Tog24 have a big sale on at the minute. Can't remember how much salopettes were exactly but they were sub £50. Jackets ranged in price from £60-£100 depending on spec.

We only take one base layer (just in case- I still haven't worn it, even in -28 degrees - I get far too hot when skiing), a couple of cheap fleeces each (never paid more than £10-15 each) and 4 or 5 t-shirts. Enough socks for the week.

Trespass do a thin cheap base layer for around £15 (top & bottoms in the same box)- think its called the Potter baselayer.

To echo what a few other people have said.... you need good socks (merino) and good gloves... don't scrimp on these, you'll only regret it. Theres nothing worse the cold fingers and toes. And if you are serious on boots, you need these professionally fitted by a bootfitter.

Don't get too focused on the brand names either! Better to be properly kitted out rather than covered in brand name labels. A lady in our group last year had a leaking-at-the-seams fancy pants ski jacket that had cost her >£300 and was a bit annoyed when I told her how watertight, windproof and warm my £60 10K/10K jacket was!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 5-01-13 20:50; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
You also may want to consider a helmet. Not everyone wears them and some people will even argue the toss that they are worthless rolling eyes . Personally, I wouldn't ski without mine! As an adult they are not usually compulsory (except a small number of insurers- so check your policy!) so you can make your own decision whether you want a helmet or not!
snow report
shootinstar9 wrote:
Tog24 have a big sale on at the minute. Can't remember how much salopettes were exactly but they were sub £50. Jackets ranged in price from £60-£100 depending on spec.

We only take one base layer (just in case- I still haven't worn it, even in -28 degrees - I get far too hot when skiing), a couple of cheap fleeces each (never paid more than £10-15 each) and 4 or 5 t-shirts. Enough socks for the week. - When you say base layer are you referring to thermals?

Trespass do a thin cheap base layer for around £15 (top & bottoms in the same box)- think its called the Potter baselayer.

To echo what a few other people have said.... you need good socks (merino) and good gloves... don't scrimp on these, you'll only regret it. - I'll take a look in Blacks or Mountain warehouse for Merino socks and I was looking at North Face or Dakine gloves? Theres nothing worse the cold fingers and toes. And if you are serious on boots, you need these professionally fitted by a bootfitter.

Don't get too focused on the brand names either! Better to be properly kitted out rather than covered in brand name labels. A lady in our group last year had a leaking-at-the-seams fancy pants ski jacket that had cost her >£300 and was a bit annoyed when I told her how watertight, windproof and warm my £60 10K/10K jacket was!

How would you rate the jacket I suggested? What materials and spec should I be looking for?

Once again thanks!
snow report
Yeah- base layer is akin to thermals. The Potter baselayer seems fine. I also believe from friends that Aldi's base layers are good too, although I have no personal experience of this.

I'm no expert by all means, having only taken up skiing in recent years, and have been guided more by my more knowledgable friends Smile so I'll take a step back and let the experts on here advise regarding fabrics/materials & spec! <Experts, from now on, please correct anything that isn't right.... Blush >

Personally, my jacket's and salopettes are both 10K windproof and 10K waterproof & breathable, which the guy in the shop said was a little overkill for a January/February in the Alps, but they served me very well last year (and my first jacket was the same price as the 5K/5K jacket so I thought what the heck, then just stuck to that for my 2nd!). The 2nd jacket was purely for vanity reasons- I liked the colour & it was in the sale. You certainly don't need two. I believe North Face have a different rating system (?!) and I have no experience with regards to this.

I've just bought myself some Hestra gloves. Last year I had cheap-ish gloves and I paid dearly for it! This year I've got leather Hestras... will be testing them in four weeks time! I can't comment on North Face or Dakine, although the North Face I tried on in the shop seemed very warm (I didn't purchase as they didn't have my size, otherwise I would have done).

I have Merino socks and find them excellent. They are thin and very warm. They also came recommended and I'm glad I spent the money on them.

I was in a similar position to you a couple of years ago. In hindsight, I should have spent more money on better gloves from the off. I'm glad I invested in good socks. I knew early on that I had fell in love with skiing, and given that I have weird feet, I invested early in professionally fitted boots- this wasn't cheap and I'm not suggesting that you do this straight away by all means. I bought jackets and salopettes with a high waterproof & windproof rating, but without spending a fortune on fancy pants brand names and they've served me just fine so far! I don't think they'd stand up to skiing a season or the freezing cold depths of Scandinavia but they are fine for the time being. I take 2 or 3 thin fleece jumpers (think they are from Trespass/Tog24/Tesco/unbranded, getting them cheap in their sales, £10 max). Keeping warm is all about layering... multiple thin layers rather than fewer thick layers (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!).

The only other thing is personally I hate having a cold face. Last year I bought a fleece neck gaiter, which would have been perfectly acceptable if I have worn it as a neck gaiter rather than pulling it up over my face- it ended up cold, wet & damp, so I'm currently in the hunt for a half-ski mask. Some people on here have recommended Airhole, and although they aren't cheap I think I'm going to give them a try. However my OH didn't mind his neck gaiter being cold & damp... think its personal choice!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 6-01-13 0:41; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Fantastic post, very informative thanks a lot! I can't see a rating for the jacket I found but I'll have a look on the Protest website. I was looking at balaclavas to keep my face warm, I've already got a fleece neck warmer so I'll take that as well. I will take a look at the Airhole stuff

Current plan:

Salopettes

Jacket - 10k/10k

Socks - Merino

Gloves - Hestra / North Face / Dakine

Hat - Beanie

Underlayers - Fleece £10ish

Thermals - Aldi / Lidl

Thanks again!
snow report
save money on the clothes and spend it on boots.

If you want cheap then here is what I would suggest.

1) socks.... go to TKMAXX and get some smartwool PhD socks for £10. 2 pairs is fine.

2) if the jacket has insulation a base layer may be all that is needed. Get cheap ones from Decathalon or Trekmates from TKmaxx (£7.50-10)

3) if you need a mid layer then craghoppers from anywhere is fine (£15)

IS it going to rain and will you ski in the rain. if not then a warm jacktet is fine.
4) Jacket. Any 10K will be fine for watterproof. Breathability is the main thing IMHO.

5) Helmet. Get a good one. I hav a GiroG10 but you can get a G9 on amazon for £40

6) boots get them fitted and dont worry about the price.

7) gloves. Try them on. or get some nive POW mitts from TKMAXX

Cool Goggles I gave ripcurl Vaddo Pro and they are great. I think TKMAXX have these in short supply
snow conditions
Seems like a reasonable plan to me. Try on the goggles though before buying, and if you are planning on getting a helmet, try them on with the helmet before buying.
ski holidays
I got some Gore-Tex Tog 24 salopettes today for about £65 in Clarkes Village in Street, Somerset.

http://www.estore.tog24.com/regal-ii-goretex-trousers-25059.html

The Helly Hansen Merino/man made (Ice Breaker?) base layers are good and not too expensive.

Lightweight Merino socks (like Teko) from about £10/pair are well worth it.
snow report
musher wrote:
I got some Gore-Tex Tog 24 salopettes today for about £65 in Clarkes Village in Street, Somerset.

OH has them and says they are good!
snow conditions
http://www.surfdome.com/protest_snow_jackets_-_protest_eagle_snow_jacket_-_magic_blue-93327

10k/10k Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy