Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please help a novice make a decision?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks T Bar for clarifying that, I was totally bemused! Shocked I'm afraid I'm helmets all the way. I won't even let my twins ride their scooters (we've not mastered their bikes yet.... rolling eyes ) without a helmet. On the way home from school tonight, both scooters got stuck on a paving slab and both children fell badly and awkwardly and stotted their helmeted heads off the pavement! To say I was massively relieved they were wearing their helmets is a GIGANTIC understatement! Very Happy

They've already got some Aldi gloves courtesy of their grandparents (absolutely fantastic buy, I'm well impressed) but they have been instructed to look out for more! I'm going to have a trip down to TK Max and I've never come across a Decathlon? Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
greyhoundlover, My local Aldi and Lidl have helmets and Merino wool thermals in still from the offer before Christmas. The thermals should be fine at that time of year (if it is spring like you might not even need them on the bottom half particularly) and one set of merino thermals will last you all week without getting stinky!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
greyhoundlover: In terms of clobber in Nort East England, you probably need look no further than Dalton Park - it has quite a few outdoor gear shops (Tog 24, Mountain Warehouse, Trespass etc) as well as some bargain ski clothes at Sports Direct (which I think is called Lillywhite's at Dalton Park). I had a look in a TK Maxx (not at Dalton Park - there isn't one) today and, unfortunately, the ski kit seems to be winding down in favour of more summery wear.

In terms of resorts, Les Gets is atypical for France in that it is a picturesque little town (as opposed to a high altitude, purpose-built 1970s complex - which there's nothing wrong with in terms of accessing the slopes and snow reliability by the way). But if picturesque plus affordable food/drink is what you are after, you really couldn't go wrong with Austria. Beginner-friendly areas include Mayrhofen, Soll (or any Ski Welt area, of which Soll is one village), Flachau and (for the ultimate in chocolate box appeal) Obergurgl - although that's generally more pricey.

Let us know how you get on - and keep firing away with the questions Smile .
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

In terms of resorts, Les Gets is atypical for France in that it is a picturesque little town (as opposed to a high altitude, purpose-built 1970s complex

Only a small - very small - minority of French resorts are high altitude purpose built places. they just happen to be the ones that most Brits have heard of.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
greyhoundlover, shoes, boots, slippers. difficult question. I usually take

snow boots
Ski slippers (these are rubber/plastic bottomed full foot slipper type things (dont ask me where to buy them as we got them free whilst on honeyMoon in Vail). But they arent required just convenient and take up no space.
1 pair of shoes, not formal, just comfy shoes than convey a level of non scruffyness but are easy and comfy to wear.

adults helmets (the h word) is up to you, as the some say. some girls do, some girls dont...... As an adult its our choice but esprit will insist n the children wearing helmets in lessons and they will be provided free if our are hiring childens ski packs.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Greyhoundlover, welcome to the forum Smile . There is no shortage of advice on here. regular gold mine.

Went to La Rosiere on my first trip a few years back now and loved it. With it being south facing, if the sun is shining it's stunning, we could have boarded in t-shirts a couple of days it was that warm ( we went in March ). There is a swimming pool with saunas round the corner in Eucherts also ten pin bowling, it's a short ten minute walk from La Rosiere along a pathway that cuts up from the Italian resturant( if it's still there) round the back of the chalets to Eucherts. Or you can jump on the local bus if the legs are not up for it Laughing .There is a tourch lit show on the Wednesday night by the ski schools, the kids should love it.

Hope you and the family have a great time, snow at night, sun in the day, heaven Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w Oops! I stand corrected (in my orthopaedic insoles.....) Embarassed - Perhaps a bit of a generalistion on my part, although it does reflect the nature of tour operator brochures as far as France is concerned.

Anyway, an assessment of French ski areas that I have visited shows that about a dozen of the 30-ish have been purpose-built ski stations:
Quote:
Alpe D’Huez, Les Arcs, Les Carroz, Chamonix, Chamrousse, Courchevel, Combloux, Les Deux Alpes, Flaine, Les Gets, Les Houches, Les Menuires, Montgenevre, Meribel, Morzine, La Plagne, La Rosiere, Porte de Puymorens, St Francois Longchamp, Serre Chevalier, Tignes, Valfrejus, Valmeinier, Valloire, Val D’Isere, Valmorel, Val Thorens, Villard de Lans.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict, That's a good long list of French ski stations that you've visited, but only a minority are purpose built even so. Lots of them even have pistes on pastures which only take a few inches of snow to be skiable and plenty of tree-lined runs. Little Angel The 170 or so not on your list will include very few high bleak purpose built ones. The British TOs go for those because there's loads of cheap ski in/ski out accommodation, good snow is highly likely, there are big piste mileages and they can bus quantities of people in and out cheaply. The more I ski, the less I want to ski somewhere high and bleak with silly prices in the restaurants and huge numbers of package-tour Brits.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
mountainaddict, The more I ski, the less I want to ski somewhere high and bleak with silly prices in the restaurants and huge numbers of package-tour Brits.

How very selfish...what if they want to ski with you?????!

Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy