Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please help a novice make a decision?!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone and a happy new year to you all! Very Happy

We are planning to take our first ever family ski trip around half term in February (preferably from the Friday to the Friday). None of us can ski. We are in Newcastle Upon Tyne and have 5 year old twins (b/g). My main preferences are:

-Ease of getting to the destination

-Ease of getting around the destination

-Good ski instruction (is it worth hiring an instructor just between the 4 of us?)

-Plenty of family apres ski activities

Don't mind spending a bit but don't want to pay circa 10 euros for a soft drink or a latte! Would prefer Europe as we've only got a week.

Any advice would be really appreciated as I'm absolutely clueless and everywhere I've checked looks good to me!

MAny thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
greyhoundlover, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead you will find choices for half term (you do mean this year?) extremely limited. And it will be expensive and crowded. Practically everything worth having will be booked already.

Your twins are 5? Take them out of school for a week and go the first week in February (or maybe second half of March if you end up going to France. If taking them out of school will compromise their university entrance prospects, you could look at going at Easter. Cheaper, less crowded, still plenty of snow (Easter is early this year).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi greyhoundlover, I've never done a family ski holiday, but from all the places I've been I'd say Les Gets in Les Portes du Soleil might tick all your boxes....

- Ease of getting to the destination - Its 1hr from Geneva airport (which is a very short transfer as ski holidays go)

- Ease of getting around the destination - Its a nice village to wander around, and the centre is fairly flat

- Good ski instruction (is it worth hiring an instructor just between the 4 of us?) - There is loads to choose from here, as with all the big resorts. The kids will be best in ski school with other kids, they'll absolutely love it! And as for you two, it's entirely up to you if you hire a private instructor or join a group. I think it's nice to meet new people, but then again you might progress faster with private tuition.

- Plenty of family apres ski activities - The village is very family friendly and loads to do for kids. The little ice rink in the centre always looks very popular!

It's not the cheapest resort, but by no means expensive. Plenty of accommodation to choose from too.

Bring in the Portes du Soleil its linked to Morzine, Avoriaz etc. You can get the bus, or ski, to Morzine and then the lift up to Avoriaz if you fancy a change of scenery one day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
greyhoundlover,

We were in a similar position to you last year. Hopefully this information will be useful in helping you with your plans:

1) Our build up to the trip - some good tips, such as take two pairs of gloves each: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82251
2) Where we went (Serre Chevalier - it was brilliant) & what we got up to: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1995402

Good luck! I hope you find a holiday and all have a blast!

chemistry
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do agree that Les Gets would be an ideal resort, and I'd recommend that you book the whole family into group lessons (appropriate age) with BASS. But I bet that they, and all the other good ski schools, are already fully booked for half term.

You will find that package ski holidays are nearly always Sat/Sat or Sun/Sun - for half term the latter is much preferable; there can be some horrendous traffic jams on those busy Saturdays.

If you drive yourself Fridays are also very busy as loads of people drive, then stay somewhere near the resort on the Friday night.

Really, if you possibly can, make your first family holiday some time other than half term. If it must be half term I'd advise against any of the French resorts routinely served by the big British tour operators - maybe Austria or Italy? You can get plenty of advice here from people who know individual resorts very well (though be aware that their advice might not be entirely disinterested wink )
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
greyhoundlover, go at easter. Less busy, cheaper, nicer weather for the young ones. At 5 they wont want to ski all day long so Easter gives you more options due to the weather

Yong kids and adults do not mix in a ski lesson, just doesn't work IMHO

How much experience do the adults have?

What is your preferred mode of transport?

Austria may be your best bet if you want fri-fri.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi everyone

What fantastic advice! Thanks so so much!

Hadn't thought about limited availability (proving how novice I actually am!! DOH!) and the popular destinations/schools etc being fully booked! Dimwit that I am! So yes Pam Cool , I think I'll risk their future university prospects and take them out of school for a week and avoid half term altogether (I'm also a novice school mother as they only started in September last year!) That makes perfect sense!

Tordi, sounds good, I'm going to check that out.

Chemistry, I'm going to check out what you have to say, no point reinventing the wheel and all that! Very Happy

Frosty, yep, that sounds about right! What was I thinking?! I'll book the kids into school and maybe get a one to two instructor for us. rolling eyes The adults have zero experience (well, I went once probably 20 years ago! rolling eyes ). We prefer to fly tbh.

So, it's now a choice between Easter or taking them out before or after half term. Anything I should be considering for either alternative? Puzzled

Can't thank you all enough for taking the time to reply. You've saved me untold hassle already! wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
greyhoundlover, +1 for Les Gets and BASS. We did that lots of times when our two were little, staying with Ski Famille, and it always worked well. If you're flexible on dates, you could start with the ski school, and then work from there. I think BASS do adult beginner group lessons, so those might be worth a look as well. Perhaps some time between half-term (including all the French ones!) and Easter would be good, in terms of both avoiding the crowds and having reasonable chances with the weather and snow?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 3-01-13 13:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you go immediately after half term, France will be busy (French half term from mid-Feb to early March this year - there's a SH topic on Euro hols somewhere). I 'd echo the thought of not having small kids and adults in the same lesson. Would be a 'mare. Fri-Fri may be hard to get through UK tour operator - you may have to do a DIY if you are set on Fri-Fri. Personally. I'd ruin their chances at Uni and take them out of school - far cheaper then. If you are set on Easter, do for a resort with a good snow record at the end of March (most places should be OK because Easter is early this year). There are lots of threads on SH about skiing with small kids. Keep them dry, warm and fed (wait, that's the same for me....). Take lots of gloves. Enjoy and say bye-bye to any spare cash you once had....skiing's addictive.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
greyhoundlover, Take them out of school, at that age, is the real winner. Mid March when the school hols are over would be nice. Mid Jan is the quietest. You get the pick of resorts and ski schools.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Anything I should be considering for either alternative?

Flights and package hols for the Easter school hols are expensive (because it's school hols, even though it's low season in France, as far as accommodation costs are concerned). And although Easter is early, it's still just a tad later than is ideal.

I'd suggest that, if looking at France, you look at the week beginning 16/17 March, when the four week French holidays are finished, packages should be quite a bit cheaper than Easter or half term and there's a better statistical chance of good snow conditions (though there are no guarantees about snow, don't believe anything anyone tells you to the contrary wink ).

Les Gets is certainly a good place, not least because of the BASS ski school where you'll be guaranteed good instruction, which is really crucial, especially for adult beginners. Adults and kids learn completely differently - I agree that separate groups make more sense than a private family lesson. Groups of 6 or below are good - you get the fun and social side of a group, but also plenty of individual attention. You learn from watching your fellow group members too - doing it right - or wrong.

If you have a large budget you could look at Esprit, who do child care, take kids back and forth to lessons, etc etc. I've no direct experience (could never afford it when kids were young) but they get very enthusiastic reports here. There are some other family operators too, who will probably get mentioned. A first ski holiday, with young kids, is quite a task of organisation and you'll enjoy it more with some experienced help. Just getting them kitted out with boots and skis (even once you've climbed the hill of gloves/mitts/goggles/helmets/neckwarmers/one piece or two piece suit etc etc) can seem very daunting. Then getting them into all that clobber and out in time for a ski lesson, without anyone needing a last minute wee, or forgetting their goggles......

Finally, if you have a great holiday, you do realise you're on an expensive treadmill, don't you? Best family holidays ever. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
greyhoundlover,

1) If you can get to a UK Snowdome before your trip, I would certainly do so. It's great fun, and even after just a couple of hours you'll at least have got to grips with how boots go on, how to clip into bindings and the very basics of skiing on real snow (I was thrilled to discover that, unlike say ice skating, it's actually pretty easy to stand up, slow down and stop on skis - phew!). More importantly, it will mean you don't waste time 'in resort' on this sort of stuff. We went to the Hemel Snow centre (excellent), so the kids had spent a couple of hours on skis prior to their/our first ever trip.

2) Not all half terms are the same - for example I believe ours (in Bath) is early this year - 11th to 15th Feb - so we're hoping to miss the worst of the French school holiday crowds (18th Feb onwards?).

Anyway, welcome to Snowheads and I hope you and your family enjoy skiing as much as we do! I had loads of great advice from the Snowheads so you've found a great place to start your journey! Enjoy (and post a trip report!).

chemistry
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
greyhoundlover, Welcome to Snowheads! I'd say look at mid March, it won't be as cold and as total beginners you (or particularly the kids if you are having private lessons) will spend quite a bit of time standing around while the rest of the class has its turn. One more thing if you possibly can try and get to one of the snowdomes or dry slopes in this country and have a few beginners lessons, you will make much quicker progress and have way more fun (with less standing around) in the mountains even if you only manage 2 or 3 lessons before you go.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow, thanks so much everyone. What a fantstic site to discover! I was tipped off from reading a post on Trip Advisor and I have to say I'm sooo glad I wrote it down and followed it up (no-one has replied to the same post there....) You lot have some great advice and knowledge between you and I feel in very safe hands!

I think the taking them out of school and probably condemming them to a life of low paid menial jobs is the best route. At least they'll have some fond memories to linger on when they're packing products into boxes or whatever...

I'm thinking mid March is looking good, either w/c 11 or 18. I'm going to check out all of the possibilities you've suggested and I'll report back once I've booked. I'm LOVING the sound of Esprit (thank you Pam Cool ) so that is going to be my first port of call. I will defintely look into a local ski slope too, that is sound advice.

Your enthusiasm and passion for the subject is contagious! I'm really excited about organising this now (well, giving the travel agent a comprehensive brief.... rolling eyes ) and am itching to get going. So it's a pity I now have to take my kids to soft play arghhhhhhh!!!

I will be back..... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are looking for this season and are prepared to take them out of school for a week it would be worth taking a look at these offers

http://www.espritski.com/offers/

There are ones for going over the next few weeks for family of four though tat this stage you may have limited availability in th sprite classes etc. I took my eldest out of school when she was 4 (she is one of the youngest in the year) and will be agwin in April (she is in 6 now).

Esprit were very good and we all had a great time.

Other options which sound like they are good for children include Mark Warner and Club Med the club med prices fully inclusive for food and include child care and lessons for all from what I am reading. They may also have something suitable for over the next few weeks to month for reduced prices.
ski holidays
As another skiing family with young children based in newcastle (6 and 2), and going this easter, I would second the idea of going later if you can. As we have learnt how to do ski trips with kids, we have often gone for longer than a week - often 2 weeks if we can find the time - and at easter. This has made driving more possible, and meant mixing in skiing with just enjoying being in the mountains. Have you considered the ferry from North Shields to Holland? This is what we do, or sometimes the one from Hull to Zeebrugge, which means a shorter drive on the other side if you are heading to France. I would also second Serre Chevalier - a long drive which we do over two days, but a great place to be and ski, with other stuff to do (great pool in Briancon). New Generation ski in Monetier, an english speaking ski school run by Gavin Crosby, is really good - our daughter loved her course with them last year when she was 5, and friends with us who had never skied also did well with them. Good luck with it all!
snow conditions
greyhoundlover wrote:

Your enthusiasm and passion for the subject is contagious! I'm really excited about organising this now (well, giving the travel agent a comprehensive brief.... rolling eyes ) and am itching to get going. So it's a pity I now have to take my kids to soft play arghhhhhhh!!!

I will be back..... Very Happy

LOL this is where my post came from (there is free wifi in the one I have come to) and so I am sitting reading this forum in a comfy sofa while me girls play like mad things.
ski holidays
greyhoundlover wrote:
I'm LOVING the sound of Esprit

FWIW we went with Club Med (see my trip report - link in earlier post in this thread).

Not cheap, but we all had a fab time, they were brilliant with the kids and overall everything was incredibly easy. It was all inclusive too, so once we'd booked, there were no further costs at all to pay. I believe there are a few other positive trip reports from Club Med hotels - especially for young families - here on SnowHeads e.g: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74206

Just another option to potentially consider.

chemistry

PS. Booking Club Med via their website can be a pain - we've found that going via a local travel agent is easier, and can even be slightly cheaper. As an example, we're off to CM again this year (Peisey Vallandry this time) and another family wanted to join us after we'd booked - Club Med website said there was no availability but the local travel agent managed to get them a room; apparently there was availability on the French system but this didn't show on teh English section(s) of the CM website...don't let any of that put you off though!
snow conditions
Aww, this thread just made me look back over my photos of the PDS. What a wicked place....

ski holidays
greyhoundlover wrote:
I will defintely look into a local ski slope too, that is sound advice.

Bit of a trek and more expensive I know but if you could possibly make it down to Castleford you'll find it more fun than a dry slope, my 8 year old learnt at Tamworth when she was 5 and had a great time, don't know the age limits for lessons at Casstleford but have seen classes of tiny kids on the slopes.
Silksworth looks to be you local dryslope, have driven past it but never skied there though it looks good.
snow report
Ours are much older now, but a few years ago I know we appreciated being in a town rather than half way up a mountain. Sure, ski-in-ski-out is good but restless kids also like running around terra firma, visiting swimming pools and play parks, and generally enjoying the atmosphere of food and music.

In our experience, Austrian resorts beat French ones for that. OK, a few French resorts like Morzine have critical mass (and others have mentioned nearby Les Gets), but many Austrian resorts do too. We've been to Zell am Ziller, Bad Hofgastein and (in the summer) Saalback/Zell am See. We also went to the Stubai Glacier but I wouldn't call that child-friendly. Children's activities are often free in these places and probably the lift passes too. Austrian flights can be pricey compared with French and Swiss, though.
ski holidays
greyhoundlover, if you look at the top of this thread there is a calendar of all the european holidays

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=89192
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
If taking them out of school will compromise their university entrance prospects

Laughing
latest report
Quote:

restless kids also like running around terra firma, visiting swimming pools and play parks

my kids only ever wanted to go skiing, toboganning, building snowmen and mucking around in the snow.
snow report
I've not had a chance to ring a travel agent yet but I'm kind of sold on Les Gets with Esprit in mid March - as per a lot of your suggestions. As we're now not stuck on set dates I'm hoping we can get some availability either in a decent hotel or chalet. As someone else has already pointed out, the first time is going to be difficult enough what with getting all the kit (got some of it as we went to Germany for Christmas and it was 2' deep in snow up until we got there) and finding out what to do, where to go, how to do it etc. etc. Shocked

I'm also convinced we need to do some sessions at our local dry slope (even if it's just to build up some stamina!) but I tried ringing Silksworth in Sunderland a few times yesterday and it just rang and rang. Probably because they're stowed out with it still being the holidays. Puzzled I'll keep trying though and see what I can get sorted.

I will come back and report on what I manage to get booked to see if I've done well! Cool

Can't thanks you all enough for your words of wisdom, you have seriously saved me more than one headache and I am massively grateful! wink
ski holidays
Phone Esprit directly then you will be getting availability from the horses mouth. One thing I especially like about Esprit is that they have quite a few rooms which are suites meaning that your children can have their own room which for us we now make a mandatory requirement as if ours girls are sharing with us they wake us up and dont sleep as well. this leads to a rather grumpy Daddy and not much of a holiday. However you will have limited availability at this stage. They give descriptions of each room in their accommodation details on their website to you can find out about whether it is baths or showers etc.

I took my girls to a lesson on the local dry ski slope but although they enjoyed it my youngest (3) got too tired and had to stop early and both arent keen to go again and at their age (6 and 3) I am not going to push them I know it is so different (so much easier) on snow and that they will be with groups of other children making it far more fun.
ski holidays
I feel that the dryslope lessons are more suitable for adults - I wouldn't put small kids on a dryslope as their first experience of skiing, though a fridge is a different matter. The kids will learn very fast at 5 - it's an ideal age, really.
snow report
Lots of great advice given already. Observations from my experience:
Les Gets is a great town for your group. However it's relatively low altitude, so be aware snow conditions can be poor in some seasons as March progresses. La Rosiere might be a reasonable alternative although not so attractive a town or area in my opinion. Does have a decent snow record though.
I enjoyed many years of holidays with Esprit and would definitely recommend them.
Pam W highlights French school holiday weeks. This is important if you want to avoid crowds. Crowded pistes not much for anyone but especially daunting for beginners. So w/c 18 March likely to be far less busy than w/c 11 March.
Personally I wouldn't use a dry slope again if someone paid me to. If at all possible get to a snowdome. If you must use a dry slope, a simple tip is to make sure everyone wears mitts, with the whole hand stuffed into the 'finger' part of the mitt. Sounds silly but broken, or badly sprained thumbs, are a real risk on dry slopes and can be very painful.
ENJOY YOUR SKIING.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi again Toofy Grin

A quick update. Have managed to get booked at Chalet Arnica in La Rosière, FRance for Mar 10 - 17 with Esprit. It was a querstion of what was available from a nearby airport (Edinburgh is our nearest after Newcastle) rather than choosing something (there wasn't that much to choose from either!!). If we all enjoy it this year, we'll book early for next year so we get the pick of the destinations rather than 'what have you got left??' It all came in at a very reasonable (I thought anyway Blush ) £3,500. This includes more or less everything bar 1 night's food and helmets for me and hubby.

I've done a quick search and a few favourable comments come up. Lots of good things have been said about Esprit so I have high hopes for them!! Madeye-Smiley The travel agent also looked for us to fly from Newcastle and came up with Club Med, that was a staggering £7,500!!!! Shocked So I'm beyond pleased someone on this thread had already pointed me in the direction of Esprit Very Happy

Question now is, what to pack?? Already taken note of the 2 pairs of gloves idea. Do we need to take our own goggles and/or sunglasses or do you hire? Can you just wear layers such as leggings and a tee or 2 under ski wear or does it have to be proper 'thermals'? Do you bother getting changed in the evening for your meal or is it very relaxed all the way? Is there anytning worth buying as oppose to hiring and what should I absolutely NOT forget? rolling eyes

Thanks soo much in advance for all your help. You guys on this board have been great. Cool
latest report
greyhoundlover,

Congrats on having booked!

For what it's worth, here's what we took/used each, for our first week skiing (2 adults, 2 kids):

For the slopes
Skis - (rent)
Boots - (rent)
Helmet
Goggles - (mine are Bolle Modulators - were fine in all conditions and never fogged up)
Sunglasses - (mine are Oakley flak jackets - never wore them once!)
Thermals - (3 sets - with hindsight, we only needed two)
Ski socks - (5 pairs - with hindsight, we only needed three)
Ski jacket
Ski pants
Gloves - (took two pairs - one for morning, one for afternoon - as they get damp)
Thin fleece top (mid layer - wore this microfleece on one day only)
Neck warmer/buff - (the thin buffs are brilliant)
Suncream (30 SPF)
Lip balm (25 SPF)
Mobile & charger
Camera & charger

For the evenings
Casual shirts/t-shirts
Thick fleece/hoody/sweater
Hat
Money
Tissues
Waterproof boots (snow boots, walking boots) - (useful for wandering around outside)
Jeans
Swimming trunks & goggles - (there was a pool in our hotel...)
Normal socks
Underwear
Paperwork, passports, tickets, insurance
Glasses, contact lenses & rewetting eye drops
Shampoo, shower gel, toothbrush & toothpaste, razor, comb
Plasters (esp. Compeed blister ones) - (used two all week)
Ibuprofen etc. -
Electrical plug socket converter
Small rucksack
Teabags(!)
Sense of humour

I hope this helps.

chemistry
ski holidays
greyhoundlover,

Q. Do we need to take our own goggles and/or sunglasses or do you hire?
A. I think everyone takes their own. If wearing goggles, check that they fit with your helmet, so they are comfy, don't have a gaper gap, etc.

Q. Can you just wear layers such as leggings and a tee or 2 under ski wear or does it have to be proper 'thermals'?
A. In my limited experience, you don't need thermals per se BUT don't wear cotton or any other fabric that holds moisture and so gets wet/cold. A cheap cotton t-shirt will not do.

Q. Do you bother getting changed in the evening for your meal or is it very relaxed all the way?
A. We got changed for dinner at the hotel, as most people did, but nonetheless it was pretty relaxed. Wore ski wear for breakfast. If you'd worn it at dinner, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Enjoy your skiing adventure!

chemistry
snow conditions
Just another plus for your choice of going with Esprit. My daughter and I are going with them in March (wife and youngest 2 staying at home) and it will be our 4th trip with them. Not been to La Rosiere, but the general attitude and service from ALL the staff has always been exemplary, and the accommodation whilst not luxury, has always been clean and comfortable and the meals more than acceptable.

Hope you have a great holiday - you will enjoy.
snow conditions
greyhoundlover,
Sounds like you have booked yourself a vey pleasant holiday.

2nd week of March you will be on south facing clopes in La Ros you need to be prepared for different possibilities of weather. Although it is early spring and will be snowy in the high mountains on sunny days it can feel blisteringly hot at this time of year. (It can also be cold so you need to be prepared for this as well)
But
Don't stint on the amount of sunsccreen and lip salve you take.
Thermals/ base layer is a good idea but generally light thermals with the ability to take layers above off if it is warm is a good idea. I will frequently ski with a light thermal thin shirt and shell jacket but it can get cold and I generally carry a fleece.

I always change out of my ski stuff in the evening but it is hardly into anything smart and it certainly is not something different every day, I just want a shower and change out of the clothes I have been sweating in for the day.
snow report
greyhoundlover, you will have a fab time and esprit will look after your kids better than they look after you take a look at their 'advice' page this comes from people who have been on their holidays before and most of it is pretty sound advice. http://www.espritski.com/childcare/family-ski-top-tips/

The adults are going to be nervous about leaving the children and it depends on the type of children you have but they may or may not be really happy just wandering off with the snow rangers and instructors. Have faith and let them go, they will not want to come back to you as they will be having soooo much fun.
It's your holiday and theirs so enjoy.

As for the getting changed, just to make it clear, most people will change out of their skiing gear into something more comfortable, but dinner is not a black tie affair. Just be comfortable, if that is shirt and t-shirt or trousers and shirt that's up to you.

As for the kit, if you can't borrow from a friend or family member get yersel down to TK-Max, Aldi or LIDL's there may still be some goggles and other kit in the stores. it doesn't need to cost the earth.

Enjoy and remember to post a trip report either when you get back or whilst you are out there.

PS - We found Esprit a couple of years ago and go on our 3rd trip with them in just over 4 weeks. Kids are almost a desperate as I am to get back out there.
snow conditions
Excellent advice! Especially the likes of taking a backpack and bags as the kids have always got so much to carry around. I checked out the suggestions on the link (thanks very much ansta1 Very Happy ) and particularly like the suggestions such as label hats, scarves, gloves etc. as they can all look the same, take a pair of crocs for the kids as the chalet floor will be wet, take activities for the transfer (we've always just got a taxi to our destination so a transfer will be a departure for us), attaching gloves to elastic and threading through their jackets Very Happy , taking small chocolate bars with you. All excellent advice and I shall be following it!

A couple of burning questions though, should I buy helmets for the adults (I feel sure we will be going again so I don't mind spending the money rolling eyes ), should I bother taking a 'normal' pair of shoes/boots or will I just be wearing the one pair of snow boots everywhere? How much do you tip the chalet host (is that what they're called?) at the end?

I feel sure I have tonnes more questions so please don't go anywhere!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Another one already! Do I need to take goggles for the kids or will they be provided? (the helmets are included I believe)
latest report
Quote:

Do I need to take goggles for the kids

yes - they can hire helmets with their skis, no point buying for little ones.
snow conditions
greyhoundlover,

Buying a helmet from Lidl/Aldi can be cheaper than hiring one for a week (also a good idea not to use the "h" word on this site as well - it rattles the odd cage or 2 . wink )

I usually just take a pair of trainers and a pair of walking boots.

Has your chalet got a pool? The kids love that. You won't as learning to ski is hard work, and as soon as you get back the kids will insist on going straight to the pool.

My kid have yet to loose anything while skiing. Not even a glove. If your kids are like mine they will pend as much time snowballing as skiing, so buying them reasonable gloves is a good idea ad cold hands make for miserable kids. I got junior a pair of gore-tex Hestra gloves off ebay for £7, and have just bought the other one a nice pair in the Tog24 sales.
ski holidays
Hi musher and thanks so much for your reply. I'm going to Ebay to have a look at potential bargains! I'm confused though (which is not hard to be fair rolling eyes ) what do you mean by the 'h' word - do you mean hire? Puzzled
latest report
greyhoundlover,
Quote:

what do you mean by the 'h' word - do you mean hire?

Helmets are a little controversial sometimes on snowHeads though to be fair not really for those who wish to it is when it gets to the point of suggestion fo compulsion and obligation that things get heated.

As well as ebay / TK Max if you live near a Decathlon they uisually have very reasonably priced ski/outdoor wear and are well worth looking at.
You might be a bit late for Aldi Lidl who usually only do ski stuff once a season and had it a month or so ago from memory.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy