Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Interesting to compare page 4 of the above 'media pack' ...

Quote:
Over one million people in the UK take a snowsports holiday each year ...

There might be 1 million ski trips taken but that doesn't mean 1 million people. Tons go more than once and, as we can see on this forum, many go 3-4-5-6+ times per year. So, I'm guessing, the number of actual individuals is probably somewhere nearer 600k.

The Crystal Ski Industry Report will be out very soon and it'll be interesting to see what they say happened to the market in winter 12/13. It had shrunk by 25% over the previous 5 seasons.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
musher wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Quote:
... over 1.9 million unique users each year to the Ski Club's website.

CG does that mean that nearly a million of the "unique users" were ex-pats, or even Johnny Foreigners ?

Just looking at unique users isn't very sophisticated or accurate. Counted using cookies. Some people set their systems to clear cookies every time they end a session so, if there is no cookie, a new one gets created and that, I think, makes you a "new" unique user. 1.9 million could be a whole magnitude lower than that in terms of actual individual human beings.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2992042?hl=en-GB
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Simply looking at the site from home, work, and the fondleslab will probably make you 3 unique users. Now give the stats for users that actually intentionally navigated to a useful page, and subtract webspiders. Probably 1% of that figure.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Even David's Snivel managed 100,000 unique visitors, so about 7 then.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blahblahblah wrote:
David's Snivel

Not sure which David you're refering to there - Michelangelo's?

snowVole, to give it its correct name (though at present it should be called noVole) is actually the brainchild of Philip Keith.

The latest project I'm engaged with is WTF Ski Club, though that's not mine either.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/?fref=ts

Today we have a story about a 62-year-old man facing allegations of chairlift seat-slashing, and a very off-the-wall ski video trailer called 'Brain Massage'.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Activity update on the New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum ... which is the subject of this thread, the opening post of which promoted/spammed the relaunch six months ago:

Over the past seven days, there were no postings for the first five of them. A post appeared yesterday (requesting advice on accommodation in St Anton). There's been no response to it from the Club's claimed 30,000/34,000 members.

Unless I'm mistaken, activity on the SCGB forum is now significantly lower than it was for the 9 years when access was restricted to members only. It's as good as dead.

As far as other social media is concerned, the SCGB Facebook page (6639 followers) has featured 9 postings in the past week, one of which generated more than one comment.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the SCGB FB heads up (didn't realise they had a page) 6641 followers seems pretty good to me - looking forward to the new Fresh Tracks brochure
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is summer.

Maybe they are more focused on skiing. Not cars, washing machines and fear of cities.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I frequent both here and the SCGB forum. I'm on both far less during the summer. It's seasonal, what do you expect?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiing forum goes quiet in summer: shock. Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PJSki, Vescere bracis meis!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

The Hurlingham: perfect location for croquet and apres-croquet
So, the countdown is on for the SCGB summer party at the Hurlingham Club this Saturday.

Anyone going?

If you want to go but don't have a ticket, here's the bad news ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=8902#.UchBjNjSzHQ
Quote:
THE LONDON EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED.

... but here's the good news ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/eskishop/item.aspx?itemID=408#.Ucg_z9jSzHR
Quote:
We currently have a limited number of tickets available on a first-come, first-served basis.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
By the way, anyone wanting to brighten up their Monday should turn to the SCGB Wikipedia page. Of unprecented informational value, the 100-word entry mainly comprises a list of nine "notable presidents" ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_Club_of_Great_Britain

... which omits the most famous and accomplished president of them all - Sir Arnold Lunn.

The most prominent part of the text seems to be the warnings ...

Quote:
This article appears to be written like an advertisement.

Quote:
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. It may require cleanup to comply with Wikipedia's content policies ...

Let's have this cleanup as soon as possible.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And now for something completely different.
Well, in a way.

The case for winding up the Ski Club of Great Britain

According to a surprising source ... the 1964 'Chippings' of the Yorkshire Ramblers' Club [est. 1892 and therefore 11 years older than the SCGB] ...

http://www.yrc.org.uk/yrcweb/index.php/journal/vols6-11/86-vol9-cat/no32/577-v9n32p316

Quote:
WHY NOT JOIN THE SKI CLUB OF GREAT BRITAIN? The President of the S.C.G.B., in the 1963 Yearbook, is disturbed that membership remains static at 15,000 while British skiers visiting the Alps each year now number nearly 300,000. He concludes that at the present time the Club has not got enough to offer to secure a steady build-up in members. He makes suggestions whereby the Club might be enabled to make available to all its members better or cheaper facilities for ski-ing, but in reading these suggestions one cannot get away from the feeling that too much emphasis is still laid on racing, a branch of the Club's activities which costs a lot of money and takes up much time. The formation, in March 1964, of the National Ski Federation of Great Britain, the primary object of which is stated to be "to discharge the responsibilities previously undertaken by the Ski Club of Great Britain in respect of national and international competitive ski-ing", may mean that the Ski Club will now be able to devote more money and especially more of its representatives' time at the ski centres to arranging and leading "off the piste" excursions and tours. The Club has already set up a Travel Advisory Bureau and runs a free course of pre-ski instruction for new members. If these activities were more fully organised, and were more widely known, the Club would have a much greater appeal to those 285,000 skiers in Great Britain who are not members, and its future would be assured as what Sir Arnold Lunn calls "a Club of genuine amateur holiday skiers".

As far as one can make out (the Ski Club is currently reluctant to publish membership numbers in the traditional form of 'paying units') ... the SCGB's membership in 2013 is currently about the same: 15,000-16,000. Alternatively, if one adds in family members, the number goes up to 30,000-34,000 (both numbers are currently published on the SCGB website), now that 18-24 year-olds are included in family units.

So, on the basis of the data above ...

In 1963 - exactly 50 years ago - the SCGB's membership accounted for 5% British skiers - a seriously low percentage, as candidly conceded by the then president of the Club. The early years of lift-operated Scottish ski areas and the early boom in package ski holidays were already seeing the Ski Club take up an elitist stance, to cater for the upper classes.

In 2013, based on the SCGB's figure of "over one million people in the UK taking a ski holiday", its membership now accounts for between 1.5% and 3% of British skiers. But really serious is that only 5% of the SCGB's current members are 25-34 years-old (instead of 15% to 20%). The Club is heading for a terminal collapse in membership, with little sign on social media of any interest or engagement.

Source: the data in these slides - http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/advertise/aboutus.aspx#.UcmhWdjSzHQ

For those reasons ... and numerous other reasons we've discussed over the years ... I take the view that it's now time to wind up the Ski Club of Great Britain. Close it down. The SCGB no longer fulfils any obvious purpose, except as a big jolly of expenses-paid skiing for its officials and staff, and a kind of undefined promotions agency for third-party commercial interests.

Both those 'functions' - the provision of 'paid skiing' and the prostitution of any independence the organisation originally proved - are diametrically opposed to the founding goals and values of the Club. It was the goals of relevance and independence that made it such a tour de force between 1903 and 1953. In 2013, those ideals have seemingly evaporated. Shame, really.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Comedy Goldsmith,
Quote:
The SCGB ...... obvious purpose, ....a big jolly of expenses-paid skiing for its officials and staff, and a kind of undefined promotions agency for third-party commercial interests

That is a purpose --- maybe not what you want and maybe not 'officially' described as such. Anyone can leave ( and it beggars belief why you remain a member other your 'new' aim of closing it down/causing chaos) , so a simple case of caveat emptor. Loads of quasi-'clubs' do the same.

It's even possible that Badmin runs this please with the same aim ie making sure he gets on to the snow. Are we bovvered? No.
snow conditions
Agenterre, I take your point which is quite reasonable.

The moral case for winding up the Ski Club of GB - which is actually more persuasive than the above, and apparently beyond reform - is essentially explored on a Winterhighland thread - there's a taste of it on this page (14), and 13 preceding pages if you can be bovvered -

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,148384,page=14

This new snowHeads thread, which came as a surprise to me as a Ski Club member, is worth a click ... to put matters in further context ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=100899
snow report
but that other thread just demonstrates the commercial team is clueless, and the commercial marketing 'emptor' will be a lot more 'caveated' than those who forget to cancel subscriptions.

They'll try, justify their salaries for a few months, then try something else. I really couldnt care -- just amazed you do!
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith, Thanks for the link back to my little thread, maybe I should have popped it on this thread, it does make we wonder although I will probably pay for the privilege, I will have to see how many coupons have been redeemed on my site and then see if its worth it.

The other interesting fact about the Ski Club site is that its own SEO for retailers is pretty poor Shocked
snow conditions
livetoski, at £250 a pop, I'm not going to even start down that route.
ski holidays
Significant SCGB job advertised from this morning ...

Head of Communications
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=8928#.UcqOSdjSzHQ

"Key accountabilities" include ...

Quote:
... develop and implement media neutral ( online and offline ) and cross channel ( including Ski+Board magazine ) communications that deliver a single voice for the club ...
... Develop and implement Ski Club social media strategy ...
... Develop and facilitate the Ski Club’s community online and ensure compliance with posting policy ...

It's as well that "cross channel communications" are explained as including a magazine (rather than a tunnel or ferry). No mention at all of the SCGB's video activities/'Ski Club TV' etc. which is odd, given the substantial commitment/expenditure on this.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith, Interesting Job for someone, unless this is a re run of another advert then a weeks deadline for applications sort of says something to me Toofy Grin
latest report
Interesting job, I thought it was done by one of their leaders/guides with nothing better to do in the summer months.
Comedy Goldsmith, Have you applied? Although the deadline is very short I guess you could get a quick CV e mailed off!
snow conditions
boredsurfin, That man Comedy just doesn't have the time so I guess we'll have to write his CV for him. He is big on social media, has old skool journalistic skills, and a fully paid-up long-standing member to boot. He'll slot in very well in the office too because I have never known him upset anyone.

So, come on, we need:

A "why I'm perfect for the role" paragraph.
A list of relevant achievements
Strengths
Weaknesses (obviously none)
etc
etc (it's a while since I last had to do a CV)
snow report
CG's been providing this for years:
Quote:
- Provide timely and accurate information to keep the CE appropriately informed of the department’s performance and financial position.

It's virtually a personal invitation appropriately in the form of an open letter.
snow conditions
botw, Spot on! Laughing
C'mon CG get that CV in! There is no time to waste Very Happy

and lets face it with their current on line offerings the SCGB have nothing to lose either Toofy Grin
latest report
It would be somewhat inappropriate for me to apply for a job in an organisation I believe should be closed down, but thank you for your care and concern.
snow conditions
botw wrote:
CG's been providing this for years:
Quote:
- Provide timely and accurate information to keep the CE appropriately informed of the department’s performance and financial position.

It's virtually a personal invitation appropriately in the form of an open letter.
That's all very well but isn't there an official policy in place to ignore communications from him? That's not going to help! Perhaps a CV under nom de plume?
snow conditions

"Nom de plume". Wonderful expression.

This image came up on a Google search. The monkey is applying for this job, under the assumed name 'Jef Wickes'.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin, is this not a perfect opportunity for you to get a double agent into the role. Maybe stick Windy Miller in a dress and high heels and send him along. Just a thought.
latest report
Bode Swiller, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Bode Swiller, aargghhhh, what a dreadful image! Shocked Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I think admin should have a pop at it. He's already got the hair - and it's about time he had a proper job.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:

So, come on, we need:

A "why I'm perfect for the role" paragraph.
A list of relevant achievements
Strengths
Weaknesses (obviously none)
etc
etc (it's a while since I last had to do a CV)

More important will be the application form:

Title (delete as appropriate): Sir/Lord/Earl/Duke
Forename:
Surname:
Second bit of surname:
Third bit of surname:
Relationship with aristocracy:
Ability to scratch own back:

Seems pretty straightforward. But I won't be applying, they only have space for 3 surnames and they missed my title off as an option.

Wing Commander Norbert Pontington-Clitoris-Thurlboard-Smythe
snow conditions
David, they are also looking for a blogger, this would surely suit you down to the ground? Apply by 3rd July.
ski holidays
Blogging is for people who can't make it in logging.

http://youtube.com/v/mL7n5mEmXJo
snow report
Quote:
Dear Sirs,

I should like to be considered for the role of Chief communications Officer or somesuch. Skiing is such larks - like the time Boz and I snuck up behind that fearful oik Cameron and gave him the "Old Rear Admiral" at the Bullingdon! I'd be perfect as i've been to all the resorts in the world, Kloisters, Davos, Kloisters again, and i've got all my own clobber. Media is all the rage these days and the ol' banking sectors a bit flat at the moment so I can start right away, plus Pater says if I don't go and do some bloody work soon, the inheritance'll go to one of his kids he left in Rangoon.

If you really must interview, i'm in my club most lunchtimes, no fillies allowed i'm afraid, but we all know the boys make the important decisions like this one. Please find my current CV and a copy of my family tree, crest and a picture of Great Uncle Beanos pile in Hampshire which now belongs to the bally Russians thanks to death duties.

Awfully decent of you,
Yours
Timothy Runciple-spoon

PS. Mummy sends hugs.
snow report
Richard_Sideways, ah, if only it were a joke Laughing
snow report
Richard_Sideways, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Laughing
ski holidays
Brilliant
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy