Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

Poster: A snowHead
DT68, technically a cup is always full . . . and you really don't seem to be able to grasp the context of this thread . . . perhaps prising your lips from PJSkank's fundament will offer you a better view . . . or perhaps you like the one you have?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PJSki wrote:
DT68 wrote:
PJSki wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, more questions for you:

1. What do you want done with the leading service?

2. What do you want done with the holidays?

Your invitation is to respond simply and clearly to the above.

There is no point asking. Lots of others have made similar invitations which have simply been ignored.
CG is not in the business of making constructive suggestions - he appears to be a "cup half empty" sort of bloke.

Yes, it's a bit infuriating. He's set himself up as a short of party of opposition, yet refuses to play by the rules of opposition whereby he should offer alternatives and answer questions about those alternative.

I've given up on that front. Sorry. Did my stint on the SCGB Council (elected from a field of 12 candidates) from 1988. The first thing I suggested was a cost-benefit analysis relating to take-up of Ski Club services. Perhaps you can imagine how that went down - about as well as missing the landing ramp on a chairlift, riding around the bullwheel, and being asked to carry a lead balloon on the way down.

Do you really think it's sensible for me now - 25 years later - to be playing the 'opposition politician'? No, I think not.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Comedy Goldsmith, your invitation is to respond simply and clearly to the above questions.
Quote:

"Do you really think it's sensible for me now - 25 years later - to be playing the 'opposition politician'? No, I think not."

What are you doing then? What is your objective?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PJSki, I'm not going there. My function is to be an honest (hopefully) scribbler. It's for fellow SCGB members to steer the old cruise liner ... not just in terms of its resort/holiday operations (which only cater for 10% to 15% of members anyway) ... and her ageing manifest of passengers.

The SCGB's publishing and communications strategy is way more important than all that, anyway

But you were elected (for the second time) to do this, sunshine, not me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
PJSki, I'm not going there. My function is to be an honest (hopefully) scribbler. It's for fellow SCGB members to steer the old cruise liner ... not just in terms of its resort/holiday operations (which only cater for 10% to 15% of members anyway) ... and her ageing manifest of passengers.

The SCGB's publishing and communications strategy is way more important than all that, anyway

But you were elected (for the second time) to do this, sunshine, not me.

I wasn't elected to anything, I'm just an ordinary member of a ski club.

And you can't play the old journalist card to get out of the way of any questioning. Man up, or shut up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, what a charmer you are. Even if (as you profess) you live in a sewer, there is no need to throw its contents around.

And the view looks fine, thank you.

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DT68, I've never pretended to be a "charmer" and with my sick sense 'I see sock people' and PJSkunk is one sick sock.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, ok dear, got that. Now, just pop you head back up where it belongs. Blush
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

PJSki wrote:
I wasn't elected to anything, I'm just an ordinary member of a ski club.

I see. When you look in the mirror (perhaps with a pint of Ireland's nectar in your hand, perhaps not), do you see this person?

More importantly ... because this has been going on for far too long (years and years and years) ... why does your signature identify another of your favourite targets, by name, and with a hyperlink?

Don't you think it's time to identify yourself, if you're going to be so Be Nice please!ing personal about everyone else - by name?

Years ago, when you were 'Tim Brown', a cordial invitation for a drink was issued but declined. Fight the good fight for the SCGB (Ski Closed Group Britain), by all means, but let's have a friendly drink about it.

[Edit: the photo on the right is not the one originally posted here. This was the original photo, which has been removed for legal reasons:
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/user/profile.aspx/gerry-aitken-1 ]

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 1-04-13 19:37; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Comedy Goldsmith, there'll be no friendly drinks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, in fairness I haven't grasped the context of this thread either. I look at it in bafflement - amazed that anyone can have so much to say about SCGB but not actually state why they feel the need to impart this information or what they hope to achieve by it - well if they have its sailed right over my head. Already on page 36 and it looks more like one of your big lorries with failed brakes with every page. It must surely go down in SH's history as one of the most baffling threads ever posted and available for all the search engines to find by being on the piste, which can't be a good thing. Puzzled I have no links with SCGB and no real concept of past history, but to the casual onlooker it is the queerest thing going. Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque wrote:
DT68, technically a cup is always full . . . and you really don't seem to be able to grasp the context of this thread . . . perhaps prising your lips from PJSkank's fundament will offer you a better view . . . or perhaps you like the one you have?

I wasn't surprised by this outburst by masque. Is this typical of the sort of person who goes on snowhead bashes?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
not baffling at all.

it was started by a member with a vested interest in SCGB, continued by someone with a peculiar interest in SCGB, and continued further still with a hint of trolling by 1-2 others with a vested interest in SCGB in a bid to keep people talking about their club. It's about the only thing on the net telling SCGB members and non members that there's a forum.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
to the casual onlooker it is the queerest thing going. Puzzled

I must confess that I only read the first few pages of the thread when it started and a couple at the end. It was quite amusing with the ski club getting rumbled like that but I agree with what you say.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, I feel obliged to put, in my defence, that I didn't mean it quite like 'that'. However, you did already know that rolling eyes wink
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
davidof, I feel obliged to put, in my defence, that I didn't mean it quite like 'that'. However, you did already know that rolling eyes wink

I have to admit DG has quite amazing stamina. He should be in some kind of Olympic event.
latest report
PJSki, Actually I'm far more mellow these days than ever before, the influence of a good woman perhaps. However I see no reason whatsoever to moderate language nor attitude toward the suppurating fistula that you talk out of . . . so sweetie, I will ever call you out for being the Vaseline soaked rubout sock that young lads hide from their Mum. Don't forget that Gerry likes to pay for his slides . . . you do declare the income?
snow report
davidof wrote:
I have to admit DG has quite amazing stamina. He should be in some kind of Olympic event.

Thank you. I'll mention this to my battery supplier.

[spot me]

http://youtube.com/v/kaF6FxmixJk
ski holidays
andy, Simply look at this thread as nearly 40 pages of googled advertising content for The Ski Club. PJski checked out of it for a few days and DT68 kept it up. As long as cDG throws out the same old bait the fishes will continue to rise, and you have to admit cDG is very good at baiting PJ et al Laughing
ski holidays
davidof, He clearly feels very strongly about issues connected with SCGB. He appears to me (from reading this thread) to want to portray them as a inept organisation, not in control of its finances, possibly feeding a few 'fat cats', that don't follow through on their promises to their members, and with no idea how to run a big club or its associated website. (Quite why CG feels that it is his place to provide this 'public service' information - which is what it sounds like - I still don't know). Now what I've just put it what I gain from reading this thread. What are people that also don't know otherwise going to conclude if they chance on the same content? I can't work out why anyone feels the need to put all that into a thread and for some reason to put it on SH's.

I am quite certain that many big organisations could suffer from a similar lack of dissocation from their membership (if indeed it is true) and similar problems (assuming the accusations are true). Why pick on SCGB and why post 36 pages on SH's about it when other sking forums exist, as well as every opportunity to register a complete website dedicated to www.thetruthaboutscgb.info At the moment it also seems very one sided with no-one from SCGB arriving to counter the accusations in their name, and that makes it even more one-sided.

FWIW I don't think having this thread in public view does SH's any service at all, and at the very least maybe it should be considered to move it into apres where search engines won't find it?
latest report
Quote:

why post 36 pages on SH's about it when other sking forums exist

because he's banned from 1 and the other (the one named after a rodent) is about as active Wink
snow conditions
andy wrote:
Quote:

why post 36 pages on SH's about it when other sking forums exist

because he's banned from 1 and the other (the one named after a rodent) is about as active Wink

Piste Hors is pretty good and with some interesting articles as well as the forum Very Happy A couple of the regular posters from the early days of snowHeads are quite prolific on there although I don't believe DG post on there.
ski holidays
Well there is also Ski Diva.................mind you thinking about it.............................!!
latest report
Megamum wrote:
davidof, He clearly feels very strongly about issues connected with SCGB.

Yes, you could say that. No other explanation required. And do you want to know why?

Here are a couple, amongst a dozen:

1. The Ski Club of Great Britain was founded by people who made a huge intellectual contribution to the sport, nationally and internationally, and had a wholly inclusive approach to membership (though commercially-interested members were initially excluded). They had no prejudices about Scottish skiing. They published highly influential factual information. What I see now is a disgrace to these founding fathers (and their founding/enduring principles/values).

12. Inside the White House is a team of mainly young people, early in their careers, being tasked to do the most absurd things. That's not good for them, professionally. It confounds the ethos of the two famous non-profit organisations I work for in London (both of which have highly innovative and creative strategies and build real careers for people). The Ski Closed Group Britain (SCGB) is now a cruise ship of people on expenses-paid skiing, offering gravy-training in how to maintain the gravy train. I will concede that 10% of the membership derive great value from the repping service, but it's cross-subsidised by the 90% who don't use it.

Of course, the latest membership figures will be ascertained in a few weeks (year end: 30 April). I'm going to recommend (PJ Ski was asking for great ideas) that the Club's auditors verify the figure this year, with the numbers who have joined for free or on a discount basis. The omission of the membership figure from the 2012 annual report was a very bad sign (unprecedented?) and various different 'grossed-up' figures have been bandied about since then, which don't make sense.
snow conditions
Are you all going to the Summer Party at the Hurlingham?
snow conditions
Quote:

The Ski Closed Group Britain (SCGB) is now a cruise ship of people on expenses-paid skiing, offering gravy-training in how to maintain the gravy train. I will concede that 10% of the membership derive great value from the repping service, but it's cross-subsidised by the 90% who don't use it.

if you think its so shoite do you not wonder why the "90%" are so stupid that they continue to pay for membership? Surely 90% of members cant be that daft, paying for a useless service from which they derive little benefit?
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Of course, the latest membership figures will be ascertained in a few weeks (year end: 30 April). I'm going to recommend (PJ Ski was asking for great ideas) that the Club's auditors verify the figure this year, with the numbers who have joined for free or on a discount basis. The omission of the membership figure from the 2012 annual report was a very bad sign (unprecedented?) and various different 'grossed-up' figures have been bandied about since then, which don't make sense.

Errr. The role of an auditor is to provide confidence (but certainly not a guarantee) that the audit client's financial statements are free from material (note "material", not "any") misstatement.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith, I must admit to warming to your argument in that a small (in relative terms) group of senior ShiteClubGB Oligarchs are skimming (legally/questionably/allegedly) a lifestyle off the top of the membership . . . so PJskank is playing a flanking strategy eh? . . . That could end up being an interesting position to take in a Court. I wonder just why the TeaClub is so determined to shut you down . . . perhaps you're not as paranutzoid as we consider you to be wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shimmy Alcott, good question. I think some keep up the membership to get the discounts, magazine etc. Some forget to cancel the standing order. The £60 gives me access to the annual general meeting (incredibly, or maybe not, there's a free bar, but I always pay for beers) but I missed it last year. So, that was a bummer.

This is the full list of SCGB membership benefits ... as per ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/join/default.aspx#.UU9RLDc67HQ

Quote:

'Ask the expert' on holiday bookings, equipment or technique
Don’t know where to go? Our dedicated team can help with unbiased advice
Industry-leading snow reports for 250+ resorts
Access to comprehensive Ski Club insurance
Ski+board magazine four times a season
Leaders in major resorts around the world to take you skiing
Find the best powder and the quietest runs
Exhilarating group skiing holidays with Ski Club Freshtracks
Meet other members of the Ski Club community
Indoor snow centre events in the UK
Save a fortune all year round with hundreds of discounts
Huge reductions on tour operator holidays
High street and sports kit/equipment discounts
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith, Well that's a rather more plausible explanation than I've ever seen before - thank you. Is your interest in these deteriorating scenarios purely altruistic? Would you consider letting us know why you feel that you have to carry the banner for this cause? Do you have a connection with the original founders or maybe with individuals there now who you feel are doing their career a dis-service. Many people adopt a cause through some sort of personal connection. No need to go into exactly what, but do you have a personal interest in the deterioration that you feel is evident now? A straight 'yes' or 'no' would suffice. I'd just be interested to know why you feel it is your banner to carry.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
A straight 'yes' or 'no' would suffice.

No
ski holidays
Whoops, sorry, there was a follow-up question:

A: Someone's got to carry the banner against this scandal, so it might as well be me.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith, Well it's taken 36 pages, but I now have far better understanding in those two short answers than I've ever had before. You are clearly a committed banner waver for the cause and I can live with:

Quote:

A: Someone's got to carry the banner against this scandal, so it might as well be me.

Even if you don't have a personal involvement.

I would happily wave a banner for a cause I thought was relevant even if I didn't have a personal involvement. I think 'good for you' might be in order, and if I'm ever in the vicinity of South Bank maybe we can do lunch!

See? I'm very easy to please. I'll get off your back now Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

See? I'm very easy to please.

indeed you are. Do you know what the scandal is? I dont.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Quote:

See? I'm very easy to please.

indeed you are. Do you know what the scandal is? I dont.

Apparently the staff are being ordered to do stuff that will damage their careers.

From CG's point 12 of 2, above:
Quote:

12. Inside the White House is a team of mainly young people, early in their careers, being tasked to do the most absurd things. That's not good for them, professionally

Apparently he's doing all this just for them.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 24-03-13 21:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Do you know what the scandal is?

The use of that word was a bit premature, in the sense that:

a. you're quite right that it deserves explanation.
b. the board of the SCGB has not been fully presented with the evidence (in fact, I've been told at a senior level - officially - that any further correspondence will simply be ignored).

Bear with me. I won't be making a further contribution to this thread for the next couple of months or so. Then you'll be presented with a comprehensive picture of what I consider the scandal to be.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Do you know what the scandal is?

The use of that word was a bit premature, in the sense that:

a. you're quite right that it deserves explanation.
b. the board of the SCGB has not been fully presented with the evidence (in fact, I've been told at a senior level - officially - that any further correspondence will simply be ignored).

Put the evidence in here then.

Quote:
Bear with me. I won't be making a further contribution to this thread for the next couple of months or so. Then you'll be presented with a comprehensive picture of what I consider the scandal to be.

How convenient.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, only what has been put above,

Quote:

1. The Ski Club of Great Britain was founded by people who made a huge intellectual contribution to the sport, nationally and internationally, and had a wholly inclusive approach to membership (though commercially-interested members were initially excluded). They had no prejudices about Scottish skiing. They published highly influential factual information. What I see now is a disgrace to these founding fathers (and their founding/enduring principles/values).

12. Inside the White House is a team of mainly young people, early in their careers, being tasked to do the most absurd things. That's not good for them, professionally. It confounds the ethos of the two famous non-profit organisations I work for in London (both of which have highly innovative and creative strategies and build real careers for people). The Ski Closed Group Britain (SCGB) is now a cruise ship of people on expenses-paid skiing, offering gravy-training in how to maintain the gravy train. I will concede that 10% of the membership derive great value from the repping service, but it's cross-subsidised by the 90% who don't use it.

Of course, the latest membership figures will be ascertained in a few weeks (year end: 30 April). I'm going to recommend (PJ Ski was asking for great ideas) that the Club's auditors verify the figure this year, with the numbers who have joined for free or on a discount basis. The omission of the membership figure from the 2012 annual report was a very bad sign (unprecedented?) and various different 'grossed-up' figures have been bandied about since then, which don't make sense

He suggests that there are also other reasons. Clearly he believes in his understanding and I would guess he feels that by highlighting it on this forum he can change these attitudes - of course that assumes that he is correct in what he thinks.

If he is not correct then I hope he is not on dodgy ground legally with such accusations. Esp. on a public forum, which is why I suggested moving it into apres earlier on.
snow report
PJSki wrote:
Admin, please delete my account. .

Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Bear with me. I won't be making a further contribution to this thread for the next couple of months or so. ..

You two are so similar, are you long lost twins and all the baiting is sibling rivalry Very Happy
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
PJSki wrote:
Admin, please delete my account. .

Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Bear with me. I won't be making a further contribution to this thread for the next couple of months or so. ..

You two are so similar, are you long lost twins and all the baiting is sibling rivalry Very Happy

yeah, you couldn't make it up, could you. Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy