Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow 12/13: Schneewinkel- Fieberbrunn, St. Johann in T, Steinplatte, etc

Poster: A snowHead
Here another area specific thread, for the resorts in the so-called Schneewinkel: Fieberbrunn, St. Johann in Tirol, the Steinplatte/Waidring, Buchensteinwand/Pillerseetal, Hochfilzen, Kirchdorf and Erpfendorf.

And for a change I can start with cross-country, for on Saturday, while the biathlon pros were busy on the other side of the hill in Hochfilzen, I went langlaufing with two friends. We started out from the bottom station of the chairlift on the Buchensteinwand (at St. Jakob in Haus) and from there we went on an easy track which led towards St. Ulrich am Pillersee. This was an attractive loipe, through trees, flat (though one friend who hadn't skied for a while found the little humped bridges over streams challenging enough) and pretty quiet...

We didn't go right down into St. Ulrich (to avoid the downhill and climb back up) but eventually ended back at the our starting point, lunching at the Buach-Blick Gasthof. There is a fine beginners' area at the Buchensteinwand...

Just when we finished our day the peaks of the Loferer Steinberge, which had mostly been hidden in cloud, started to appear, showing us the panorama we might have seen anther day...

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skied this afternoon in Fieberbrunn for a few enjoyable hours. There were some glimpses of the sun just as I arrived but it was mostly overcast. Here's a view looking up to the Lärchfilzkogel from Streuböden.

The pistes were in good condition but I found what little I tried off-piste hard work, heavy snow, and didn't persevere long. The photo below is looking over the Lärchfilzen chairlift (the mountain peak in the middle is the Spielberghorn).

Still very quiet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
espri, is skiing the Buchsteinwand worth the hassle? Looks like we'll need two buses.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Buchensteinwand is a small area, with three pistes -black (not very), red and blue- running down the St. Jakob side. The runs are interesting enough but there's not a great deal of variety. When there is fresh snow (and it is stable enough), there is a wide face alongside the red piste that can make for pleasant off-piste skiing (you can sort of see it above the trees in the photo of the beginners' area in the first post in this thread).

There is another short piste leading from the top of the hill down to the Panorama chairlift (with even shorter off-piste options). And on the "back side" of the hill there are runs down to Hochfilzen (serviced by 2 T-bars). I find the beginners' area good (see photo above).

I enjoy the area for a day but I live only a quarter of an hour away. There may be better options around. Where will you be based, HutToHut?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St. Johann in Tirol. Was thinking of going when we come round to Fieberbrunn.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Based in St. Johann (and using the Schneewinkel pass) my order of merit for the other areas would be:
Fieberbrunn (am I biased?)
Steinplatte (Waidring) - also allows a trip over to the Winklmoosalm, though there isn't so much to ski there
Buchensteinwand/Hochfilzen
Kirchdorf - a small area
Erpfendorf-Lärchenhof - really only for beginners

You could do the Buchensteinwand along with Fieberbrunn but would be rather a waste of time, I feel, getting from one to the other.

I'd be happy to meet up sometime, if you want to.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[b]espri[/b
Hi Espri I am out this week in st johan having a great time as always in austria! The 3 hrs of snowfall was most enjoyable today as it's so quite able to find a little fresh on 1a and 3a. If you fancy a meet and ski I want to get to fiberbrunn your home so that would be cool. Also I plan to stay in austria next season for four months in the tyrol or ski amade area so any advice would be appreciated
All the best sean
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
seany1 wrote:
If you fancy a meet and ski I want to get to fiberbrunn your home so that would be cool.

Have sent you a PM.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
espri, thanks for the info and always enjoy your reports.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Met seany1 today and we had a very good time on the pistes at St. Johann in Tirol. Weather wasn't at all bad, with some sun although still much cloud about, some of which we occasionally had to ski through. Pistes in very good condition and we also found enjoyable powder in some areas alongside the pistes (it had snowed a little overnight).

For those who know the area there was one novelty. A new track has been made from the top of the Harschbichl gondola down to the Penzing chairlift (top station) and Stangl-Alm. Branching off piste 1B, this is an alternative to the old route which winds round the side of the hill (that wasn't open today). The new track, shown in the photo above (with the Kitzbüheler Horn in the background), is steeper at the start, so maybe they will keep the old route available too when the season really gets going (pistes were still very quiet).

Another development this year which is not so positive is that the two organisations which run the St. Johann skilifts seem to have fallen out (again). There is the main area with the two gondolas, etc., and on the eastern edge, the Eichenhof lifts, two long T-bars and some more beginners' lifts. Now, according to the notices displayed, 1 and 2 day tickets of each area are not valid in the other area. As it happens, Sean had a three day ticket (supplied via Crystal, I believe) but this turned out to be only valid for the main St. Johann area. Luckily the lift operators on the Eichenhof side don't seem to be applying the rules too strictly at present and would open the lift gate when the ticket didn't work. What you actually need to ski both areas is at least a 3 day Schneewinkel pass (passes for the other larger areas, Kitzbüheler Alpen, etc., also work).

Here's one more photo from the day (taken on piste 7 leading down to Bauernpenzing) - I think that I shall never see, A poem lovely as a tree...

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
seany1 joined me in Fieberbrunn today and I arranged a bluebird day for his visit (with a few hazy clouds in the afternoon). The photo below shows an early morning view over to the Wilder Kaiser range from the Doischberg piste...

And here a view of the Wildseeloder, Fieberbrunn's Hausberg, and the face where the Freeride World Tour takes place most years, from 9th-15th March next year (and with a qualifier on 19th January) - more details here (in German).

The place was still very quiet and we often had the pistes pretty well to ourselves, as can be seen in this view looking over to the top stations of the two Reckmoos gondolas (our only disappointment of the day was that the Reckmoos Süd gondola wasn't running, depriving us of one interesting run)...

However, we didn't stay on the pistes (which were in great condition) all the time. I doubt that Sean or I will qualify for the FWT but we did try the snow alongside or between the pistes frequently and had one run down from the Hochhörndl (the little climb in the photo above was on the way back over to the piste)...

Yes, a good day!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Met seany1 again today in St. Johann. Here's a view up to the Hotel zur Schönen Aussicht from the Harschbichl gondola bottom station...

We had a great start to the day. The weather was a complete change from yesterday. Instead of sun it was snowing, quite heavily at times, and there was good powder both on and off the pistes. With my navigation slightly off track we enjoyed skiing an unprepared area near the Jodlbahn piste, clambering up and down over streams and meadows...

A little later we met another snowHead, Dogberry, and skied down to the valley with him.

Everything was fine - then the world came to an end! seany1 twisted his ankle - when his ski caught in the snow as he got onto the Hochfeld chairlift. Ugh Sad. We managed to ski down to the Hotel zur Schöne Aussicht and had lunch there. Later I had one more run with Dogberry before stopping. Here's a view from the Schöne Aussicht, looking over the Harschbichl gondola and the town of St. Johann...

That was a frustrating and annoying way to finish three great days' skiing. But I expect seany1 will be back on the snow soon and hope to see him again then. Thanks for three enjoyable days!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have had an awesome week enhanced with the company of espri who is a pleasure to ski with! If you find yourself in the area and have the opportunity to hook up with him definately go for it. The powder at 0830 was a brilliant way to end the week and being so quite remained for many hours.
Many thanks once again Eric
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
espri wrote:
Another development this year which is not so positive is that the two organisations which run the St. Johann skilifts seem to have fallen out (again). There is the main area with the two gondolas, etc., and on the eastern edge, the Eichenhof lifts, two long T-bars and some more beginners' lifts. Now, according to the notices displayed, 1 and 2 day tickets of each area are not valid in the other area. As it happens, Sean had a three day ticket (supplied via Crystal, I believe) but this turned out to be only valid for the main St. Johann area. Luckily the lift operators on the Eichenhof side don't seem to be applying the rules too strictly at present and would open the lift gate when the ticket didn't work. What you actually need to ski both areas is at least a 3 day Schneewinkel pass (passes for the other larger areas, Kitzbüheler Alpen, etc., also work).

Further developments. Today the Tiroler Tageszeitung reports here (in German) that the St. Johann lift company has now taken over the Eichenhof lifts, uniting the whole area. So this means that there is no problem now with lift passes - even a plain St. Johann pass is valid on the Eichenhof lifts too Very Happy.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Eric
Might be a little longer before I am back on the slopes.....struggled for 10hrs in my ED today before I did xray and alas ankle is fractured!! Hope I catch you before the end of season in the mean time take care
sean
ski holidays
Scheiße, as we say! I'm very sorry to hear that and hope it will heal soon. I trust too that you'll be back on the slopes before the end of the winter and hope to see you then.
ski holidays
I skied a couple of corners in the Schneewinkel area this weekend. On Saturday afternoon I had a few hours on the Buchensteinwand near St. Jakob in Haus. It was a real bluebird day with good snow, although off-piste was pretty well all tracked by the time I arrived. Here is a view looking south from beside the Panorama chairlift, with the Kitzbüheler Horn on the left and the Wilder Kaiser range in the middle...

I also skied over to the Hochfilzen side of the hill for some runs on the T-bar there. This photo was taken on the run down to Hochfilzen (with the Leoganger Steinberge in the background)...

The next photo shows the Loferer Steinberge, with the (coral reef) cliffs of the Steinplatte just to their left...

And it was on the Steinplatte that I skied today. This photo, taken from the Nordhang, shows a general view across a good part of the ski area and with the connected Winklmoosalm area in the middle distance (on the right)...

The weather wasn't as favourable as yesterday, mostly overcast but with a few minutes of sun, but the snow was still good. The first thought that comes into my mind when I think of the Steinplatte is of the motorway pistes there. However, there are extensive unprepared areas between the pistes. Given suitable conditions, this is probably a good place for first tries at off-piste skiing with slopes of varying degrees of difficulty. Here's a view of a little run down beside the Lärchenabfahrt piste...

It was very busy today, though the only queue that really troubled me was the one that made me abandon thoughts of lunch. I skied over to the Winklmoosalm to check out the new chairlift on the Scheiblberg...

Very satisfactory and obviously designed by someone whose theme song is "I'm forever blueing bubbles" Laughing

Finally, here is a view looking down the easy slopes of the Winklmoosalm - what I would call a Brueghel day : lots of little people...

snow conditions
After a week's abstinence from skiing due to weather and health (and having a tax return to do), I went out for a few hours on the Fieberbrunn slopes yesterday afternoon. I had expected spring snow, giiven the warm temperatures (8°C at the bottom station of the Reckmoos Süd gondola) but I was surprised. Mostly the pistes were hard and in good condition, with spring snow only in a few spots lower down. Here is a photo of the lower section of the Streuböden lift with the Leoganger Steinberge mountains in the background...

Off-piste wasn't so much powder but rather what I would describe as icing on the cake - in a literal rather than a metaphorical sense: snow that was a little bit crusty on top. It was skiable but I didn't find it easy, so didn't venture into the off-piste too often. The photo below shows the view from the Lärchfilzkogel (the top of the upper section of the Streuböden lift)...

For lunch I stopped at Karins Teehütte, a little hut off to the side of the Reckmoos Nord lift, and enjoyed Münchner Weißwürste. Here's a view from beside the hut, with the Reckmoos Nord gondola on the right in the background...

Weather was mostly overcast but with some sun towards the end. A few people around but not busy. All in all, an enjoyable few hours on the snow. The forecast is for temperatures to drop from today and a little new snow (but not much).
ski holidays
I have friends staying with me this week and here is a report on our first three enjoyable days. We started with a bluebird day on the Loferer Alm (the Loferer Alm isn't one of the Schneewinkel group of resorts but, since it isn't far away and you can see it from the Steinplatte, I felt I could include it here for simplicity's sake). Snow was excellent with fine powder and the place so quiet that even the final run down to the valley wasn't as hectic as it sometimes is. I have waxed eloquent about the enjoyable pistes on the Loferer Alm before and here is a view showing the runs alongside the Family Express chairlift...

By Wednesday the weather had changed and the skies were overcast with it snowing lightly for most of the day. We went to St. Johann in Tirol and spent the day skiing runs down from the middle station of the Harschbichl gondola. It was cold (-8°C) but that made for good snow conditions, with a few centimetres of fresh powder. Chatted briefly with another group of Scots whom we met on the slopes. After lunch we moved over to the Penzing lifts and going up the chairlift there was pretty chilly. To avoid doing that again, we skied round the blue piste 6b to the Bauernpenzing gondola and travelled up that in more comfort, to then take the track 5a (shown below) back over to the Hochfeld and Harschbichl pistes...

Today with the weather much as yesterday and another 4 cm new snow overnight we skied in Fieberbrunn, mostly on the Doischberg and Streuböden runs. Again the snow was excellent, with only a few places where artificial snow meant harder surfaces. At the end of the day we went up the Reckmoos Nord gondola and enjoyed an excellent descent, with fine fresh snow on virtually empty pistes. The photo below shows our final run down the Krotten track 1c which brings you back to the car park - very picturesque and again very quiet...

latest report
Fab photos ...
snow report
Thanks alicia, hope you enjoy these too.

Today we went to the Steinplatte by Waidring. The first shot shows that the weather had improved since yesterday and we saw quite a bit of sun, although clouds did hang on the hill for most of the afternoon, with poorer visibility at times...

We spent most of the morning skiing near the Kapellen lift, nice easy pistes, and then went down to the Stallenalm for lunch. The photo below shows the elderly 3-seater Kammerkör chairlift that you can use to get back up to the main slopes from there (rumour has it that this lift will be replaced in the near future, possibly on a different line) ...

That was a cold experience and it was pretty chilly at times when the sun wasn't shining (I saw -11°C reported). Strengthened after lunch, we went international and skied over to the Winklmoosalm in Germany. There we spotted a famous couple from Strictly Come Skiing, floating down the pistes hand in hand...

The powder snow was so light and fluffy that even we ventured some easy off-piste once we went back over to the Steinplatte - very enjoyable...

Our day didn't finish with the skiing, for on the way home we stopped to look at a husky camp which is currently based in St. Ulrich am Pillersee. We were able to see some mushers out training with their dog teams...

And as a final pleasure, as we retired to warm up with glühwein, there was a fine sunset on the Loferer Steinberg (seen here from near the foot of the Buchensteinwand chairlift at St. Jakob in Haus)...

ski holidays
Great pics! Will be heading out to St Johann in Tirol in 2 weeks, and these pics are a nice taster, can't wait! Can anyone tell me how far it is from St Johann to the Ski Circus? I'll be getting the All Star card, which I understand includes free train travel to Kitz from St Johann, but the post buses between ski areas cost extra. Both the Schneewinkel and Ski Circus areas are new to me, but have been on my list to tick off for a while. I wish I had longer than 6 days to check the areas out properly!
ski holidays
With a car it is probably about half an hour's drive from St. Johann to the Asitzbahn in Leogang, the entry point to the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang Ski Circus. By bus or train it woulld probably take longer (the train station is a good bit away from the lift in Leogang).

For some variety I think Fieberbrunn or the Steinplatte/Waidring would be more practical from St. Johann. There are skibuses (free) linking these areas. For a timetable you can download a pdf from here. Kitzbühel you could do by train but try to get a train which stops at the Hahnenkamm halt (though you could also get a bus to the lifts from the main Kitzbühel station, I expect).

If you really want to try the SHL Ski Circus, send me a PM. I'll have a friend staying with me at the end of the month but maybe we can organise something.
snow report
Thanks for the info, and the offer espri. I'll be in a group of 4 and no car this time around, so not really fussed about getting to the Ski Circus if it's not so convenient to get to as there'll be plenty of good skiing to be had in the Schneewinkel area. I find I'm like a kid who has eyes bigger than their belly when it comes to ski holidays, I lack the stamina/technical ability to ski as far as I want to, but I'm always the optimist wink

It's just an itch I've wanted to scratch for a while, but I'll save it for a dedicated trip, maybe next year Very Happy Thanks again.
snow report
Skied this afternoon on the Fieberbrunn slopes. a real bluebirth day (pardon my lisp).

The photo shows the top station of the Reckmoos Nord gondola. The pistes are in great condition - the snow depth marker on the Reckmoos has almost disappeared under the snow (= about 2 metres). The area was moderately busy but without any lift queues. Off-piste was mostly tracked out but still skiable. Below is a photo looking towards the Wildseeloder, showing the entry to the freeriding area reached from the Hochhörndl chairlift. The runs go down from where the snowboarders are standing to the Wildsee and past the Wildseeloderhaus before coming out again at the middle station of the Reckmoos Nord lift.

At the end of the day, on the short return section of the Reckmoos Nord gondola, I chatted briefly with three men from Teton Gravity Research who had been filming on the Wildseeloder. They certainly chose the right day for it. They said that Fieberbrunn was their last stop on a European filming trip.

One other piece of Fieberbrunn news that might be of interest is that the plans to build a link to Saalbach-Hinterglemm seem to be progressing. Toni Niederwieser, CEO of the Fieberbrunn lift company, has been reported as saying that the lift to link from the bottom of the Reckmoos Süd gondola to the Reiterkogel (above Hinterglemm; presumably to somewhere near the bottom of the Reiterkogel Ost chairlift) could be built as early as 2015, with firsts steps to obtain planning permission being taken this year. The report (in German) can be read here. The photo below, taken at the bottom station of the Reckmoos Süd lift, shows the slope the new lift would cross. The Reiterkogel Ost lift goes up to the right from the dip in the middle (and the new Wetterkreuz chairlift from there up to the left).

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy