Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oh look, it's another 'new skis' thread. (But this one is the best)

Poster: A snowHead
Ahhem! You've just walked out with your skirt tucked into your drawers young lady! rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Masque wrote:
I've really got to stop PwP'd . . . put it down to the amazing thunderstorm over Florida Shocked

OliviaDB, can I be creepily old and energetic? . . . the rest of you StFU Evil or Very Mad I'm onaroll Mr. Green

Seriously, if you have a quite restrictive goal of just piste pottering, there's little point in buying skis . If you want to go explore then you need summat a bit broad in't bum which for the most part will make yer life ont'piste a booger

Decide where you'll spend most of your time, buy skis for that and hire for those time when you step outside yer envelope.

but yes, I'm a lecherous old fart that really should ... NOPE! I'm a hard ab'd Adonis that'll take you to Nirvana . . . . well it is worth a try wink

Pottering? POTTERING?
I have a goal of becoming awesome. At everything. Except jumps and tricks. I just thought setting a goal of improving in one area at a time might make more sense than demanding everything at once. I'm OK with the latter, just thought it might be unreasonable ...

Gah. So ... are all-mountain generally a bad idea and jack of all tradey?

"Nirvana is achieved after a long process of committed application to the path of purification" ... I'm not sure I like the sound of that one bit. I've cultivated my filth carefully, and with a great deal of effort.

Ooh. I should REALLY finish working so I can sleep today rather the tomorrow. Will slosh around in madness again tomorrow.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OliviaDB, What's really hacking me off is now I know for sure that if I look at yer norks I'm really not the one you should ask . . . It's you! You have to go out and play on these tools. Go to the hire shop and tell them what you want to do and if it doesn't work . . . go back and tell them either they are full of crap or you cannot control them. There is hardly any retail ski available that cannot be skied in any condition . . . it is just your skill. There are skis that will make a specific snow condition easier to play on but you want an 'all mountain ski' then test and buy . . . we are nowt but opinions . . . and your opinion is the one that counts, so go and play on what you think will work and then play on what others in the shop say . . .

The reality is . . . it's ALL bollux! the right skills will take you and any ski wherever you want on the hill . . . it's solely down to your skills and endurance.

crap! I'me being logical, concise and mature . . . I'm never gonna get laid rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OliviaDB, this is the nearest current equivalent of my skis (save that, being more modern, they're a tiny bit wider underfooot, and they're rockered for enhanced float off-piste). I confess to being Dynastar brand-loyal, but reckon they would easily meet your requirements.
http://www.dynastar.com/US/US/exclusive-idyll_DA2KP01_product_dynastar-skis-women-allmountain.html
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, please note that there should never be more than one 'look at me-ist' on any thread. If there are two or more people clamouring for attention, the rest of us risk getting swivel-eyed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque wrote:
OliviaDB, What's really hacking me off is now I know for sure that if I look at yer norks I'm really not the one you should ask . . . It's you! You have to go out and play on these tools. Go to the hire shop and tell them what you want to do and if it doesn't work . . . go back and tell them either they are full of crap or you cannot control them. There is hardly any retail ski available that cannot be skied in any condition . . . it is just your skill. There are skis that will make a specific snow condition easier to play on but you want an 'all mountain ski' then test and buy . . . we are nowt but opinions . . . and your opinion is the one that counts, so go and play on what you think will work and then play on what others in the shop say . . .

The reality is . . . it's ALL bollux! the right skills will take you and any ski wherever you want on the hill . . . it's solely down to your skills and endurance.

crap! I'me being logical, concise and mature . . . I'm never gonna get laid rolling eyes

... but the only opportunity to play is on the actual ski trips. Which means ... several more trips before I've played enough to find the right ski, assuming I try a different one each day. Would rental shops even allow that, or would that be taking the pi.ss?

(Or are you saying: "Just improve the f up, poor workman, tools?" - i.e. stick with rentals till I know whether I'm going to be an off pister or not?)

I'm absolutely aware that my skill level isn't great - but I suppose the thought behind my wanting to buy was: "perhaps better skis will enable faster learning".
Which, if total dangly bits, does indeed mean stick to rentals, since the saving in having your own is negligible, and takes years to pay off.

(No no, logical, concise and mature doesn't not get you laid. But if you don't know that by now ... well, you might not get laid. Sad )
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pedantica wrote:
OliviaDB, this is the nearest current equivalent of my skis (save that, being more modern, they're a tiny bit wider underfooot, and they're rockered for enhanced float off-piste). I confess to being Dynastar brand-loyal, but reckon they would easily meet your requirements.
http://www.dynastar.com/US/US/exclusive-idyll_DA2KP01_product_dynastar-skis-women-allmountain.html

Thank you. I will have a look at reviews. Might see if I can rent a pair next trip ... :-S

Pedantica wrote:
Masque, please note that there should never be more than one 'look at me-ist' on any thread. If there are two or more people clamouring for attention, the rest of us risk getting swivel-eyed.

Unless we stand next to each other? Masque, over here!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OliviaDB, I tried a brand new pair of Dynastar Edens on Wednesday, hired for one day from Intersport (the one at the end of the road, near the tunnel down to Bollin etc) for 28 Euros. Really nice people in there, if you happen to be going back to Tignes. They got the skis for me from their Val d'Isere branch.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OliviaDB, he's always banging on about being old, which is usually quite boring, but in truth he may be just a teensie weensie bit long in the tooth for you. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
you could try speaking to one of our friendly retailers on here ie,

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/128/womens_all_conditions_skis.aspx

I've had very honest feedback from them when choosing an 80% piste ski for myself......
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, and they usually have a good stock of Dynastars.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

OliviaDB, he's always banging

Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica wrote:
OliviaDB, he's always banging on about being old, which is usually quite boring, but in truth he may be just a teensie weensie bit long in the tooth for you. wink

Age is relative ....... To wealth.

(Ok, I'm not THAT bad. Maybe. Unless he's a billionaire. *hopeful face*)

Razz
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow. I know barely anything about skis, but this thread is awesome. Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Atomic Cloud series (e.g. Atomic Cloud 6 or 8.) get a lot of good write ups.

Some others to think about here .....
http://www.worldskitest.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=55&lang=en

Yes Masque is a billionaire but he doesn't like to over impose and so hides it very well. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
rasmanisar wrote:
Wow. I know barely anything about skis, but this thread is awesome. Laughing

I'm taking full credit for that. Happy
latest report
DB wrote:
The Atomic Cloud series (e.g. Atomic Cloud 6 or 8.) get a lot of good write ups.

Some others to think about here .....
http://www.worldskitest.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=55&lang=en

Yes Masque is a billionaire but he doesn't like to over impose and so hides it very well. Toofy Grin

He is a billionaire, dashingly handsome, charming and quite the philanthropist I am told. As DB says he doesn't like to brag and even I beleive goes as far as arriving last to the bar so he doesn't get caught in the early expensive rounds. He often books 2 sets of accomodation when skiing, obviously the 5 star luxury chalet with personal chef and all the usual extras but also he usually books the smallest cheapest room and it is alleged even goes as far as to sneak into the cheap room early in the morning to give the impression that he has no money and doing everyhting on the cheap.

What a guy...

Now about those ski's. What I think is needed is a detail phyisical and biomechanical review. Strangely Masque is also qualified in this respect I believe and his assessment is total. I can't remember the full list but I think it included.

A full review of all joints and movement, including knee flex, hip extension and thigh abduction. Though I gather this is done in underclothes to ensure he can carefully assess all aspects of the subjects movement.

I'd sign yourself up for that if I were you.
snow conditions
OliviaDB wrote:
horizon wrote:
OliviaDB, can't comment on which model, but get some piste skis now. Then, if you do ski three-four weeks a year, you'll be wanting a new pair of offpiste skis soon enough - so you'll get the thrill of buying a new pair again, and we'll get the pleasure of a new thread (on which I may be able to comment more specifically).

Might you be able to comment were I to request good intermediate skier all-rounders?

Here you go:
(but bear in mind that the last time I bought a pair of skis that were under 90mm waist was about six years ago, and they got hardly any use).

In your place I'd go for a ski that's not at the stiffest end of the range (ooo err etc). Unless you turn out to be a speed demon (or to ski with my sometimes Soviet tank style), you'll be very able to work and progress with versatile skis that are still somewhat forgiving.

I'd go for a waist width of around 80mm. This is a bit more than is ideal for piste only, but you'll lose 10% of precision carving and gain some comfort on cut-up snow / afternoon slush etc, plus have something ready for offpiste forays.

In terms of price range, this would mean moving away from the cheapest in the range, but not necessarily going to the top end.

Personal preference, I'd go for skis with a wood core.

With that in mind, from what I know I'd look amongst others at the K2 range and the Scott range. K2 because they tend to make skis that are quite compliant with the skier's input, even if they don't really talk back to you that much to tell you what they're doing. Scott because the Mission was for a few years one of the most versatile skis around, and I'm sure they have something similar in a thinner waist.

Yeah, I know I'm generalising. In that same vein, Volkls are more likely to be stiff.

But: this is the beginning of the season, not much chance of getting great deals online etc. You might as well test several pairs and pay full retail when you find the skis you like.

OliviaDB wrote:
I just love words. And writing. And reading.

Those (+ skiing) make a nice combo wink
snow conditions
Yes not too stiff, a bit fatter in the waist, a tried and tested model but relatively cheap. Anyway, enough about Masque - good luck in finding a pair of skis though.
snow conditions
DB, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Quote:

(But this one is the best)

Not going to disagree there Wink
Might need admin or windymiller to confirm how many dirty word filters are still to be found. Wink Twisted Evil

Quote:
I'd go for a waist width of around 80mm.

Guessing those Movements are about that?

Really wishing I'd managed to try the Red/Black Stars now. The Movements were ace, but it's a skinny skinny piste ski that I want next (already got 80mm ones that weigh a ton and smash bumps out of the way).
snow report
H8 to say it but I'm with Masque - at the level you are skiing it would be better to keep renting. Buying a hand made set of race orientated skis is not going to help you. Fitness and technique lessons will do much, much more and decent rental skis will be OK until you decide if you want to play 'all mountain'. Skis do not last for ever (although a good set Kneissl should last a fair while) so why not keep trying different types of skis out as you improve. NB: if you do choose to buy skis you should also learn how to look after them and you need to buy additonal kit for lugging them - and the poles - around (which you don't have to do with rentals).

The fact that we both live in London is now starting to worry me .... a lot.
ski holidays
Quote:

at the level you are skiing it would be better to keep renting

I reckon she skis better than me. imho.

that, and...
Quote:
I intend to ski at least 3-4 weeks a year

sounds like good enough reason to think about buying. no carriage charges on Swiss to GVA either Wink
latest report
Pedantica, I've stopped flirting with you 'cos you speared me in the testicles with a ski pole Evil or Very Mad and now wot . . . you're jealous?

OliviaDB, now having had ma botty spanked by 'Mistress Paintica' I have to behave Evil or Very Mad

You can test a lot of skis at Hemel and Milton Keynes, and in truth you can have a lot of fun testing skis in resort at the same time as improving your skills. SnowHeads runs a lot of 'Bashes' where not just skis are available to play on but there is absolutely top notch instruction at a good discount but also the best peer support in the World and that's where you'll make serious progress with your skiing . . . we may be a bunch of interweirdies but we do take our play quite seriously and while we populate the bars at night . . . we also push ourselves during the day. Some go and demonstrate extraordinary sphincter control where others look over the edge and fail Embarassed Others spent their time fine tuning their skills on lesser terrain. I suggest you take two trips to just evaluate your skills and test a small range of ski types. I like Atomic skis, but they flatter my wretched technique, I also have a lot of respect for Dynastar skis. It really is down to personal preference and you can ONLY develop that through your own experience. Keep hitting the Bashes and you'll be able to chose your skis without having to listen to a bunch of bollux . . .

However, if you want to try ma board?

Now I'm off to pick up ma custom, gold leaf condoms . . . gonna make me a tru studmuffin . . . not Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
andy, she likes swooshy blues, No offence but where does that put you?

Lets do this by the numbers - OliviaDB, where do you fit on the scale (I am guessing 5) ?

Level One: "Never-Ever"
Level One skiers are first time skiers who have never skied before.

Level Two
Level Two skiers are cautious novices who are able to do a " snow plow" (wedge) turn both ways and are able to stop, but linking turns smoothly may be difficult. zSB(3,3)Level Two skiers may have skied once or twice before.

Level Three
Level Three skiers are confident novices who are able to stop and make round snow plow turns on easy beginner trails.

Level Four
Level Four skiers are cautious intermediate skiers who can link turns but still moderate speed. Level Four skiers ski in a small wedge and their skis may even be parallel at the end of the turn on green or easy blue trails. Level Four is a transition level in which skiers will begin to ski more blue intermediate runs.

Level Five
Level Five skiers are intermediates who are confident on easy blue runs and ski mostly parallel but may at times use the wedge to begin a turn or to stop. Level Five skiers may be cautious on intermediate trails that are slightly steep or icy.

Level Six
Level Six skiers confidently make parallel turns on blue runs but do not ski many advanced trails. Level Six skiers use their poles to time turns. A Level Six skier is interested in learning to ski better on more challenging terrain.

Level Seven
Level Seven skiers ski controlled parallel turns and can ski very well on blue trails. Level Seven skiers can control their speed and rhythm on black diamond trails, but they are looking to ski on challenging trails with better style. Level Seven skiers can adjust the size and length of their turns and are learning to ski on a variety of different types of snow and terrain.

Level Eight
Level Eight skiers ski with good technique on all terrain and snow conditions. Level Eight skiers can ski moguls and are able to ski black diamond trails with confidence using carved turns.

Level Nine
Level Nine skiers enjoy the challenge of difficult ski trails and ski moguls, steeps, and other black diamond terrain.
latest report
Wow, there's a big jump from 6-8 compared with 1-5?

From using a pole plant to time turns - to carving blacks! Shocked
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat, all those scales differ, and can be interpreted differently. 5 on that scale would be an underestimation IMO. But we only managed to ski swooshy blues and swooshy reds with a hint of piste-side fluff together, and there were no real steep icy blacks. 8 would be exaggerating. Somewhere in the middle - bits of 6 and bits of 7.
ski holidays
gatecrasher, The problem is that these 'levels' are a generality. I can only bumplant moguls when skiing but can zipper-line the same on a board. I'm happy to carve (yes carve) a path down an icy black on skis but play at bulldozers on a board. We all have preference and comfort zones. There are moments when my dial is hard against the '11' and other times when you'll find me hiding in the porta-potty. It is ALL about skills development and not about the tools. Yes, bottom of the market skis are pretty awful . . . but do you remember when Blizard skis were considered discount crap when in reality they were very well, European made quality kit?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque wrote:
gatecrasher, I'm happy to carve (yes carve) a path down an icy black on skis

Masque, Madeye-Smiley Forget about the op! wink
snow conditions
gatecrasher, ummmm you coming on to me Shocked
ski holidays
andy wrote:
RattytheSnowRat, all those scales differ, and can be interpreted differently. 5 on that scale would be an underestimation IMO. But we only managed to ski swooshy blues and swooshy reds with a hint of piste-side fluff together, and there were no real steep icy blacks. 8 would be exaggerating. Somewhere in the middle - bits of 6 and bits of 7.

I'd say that's about me. (Sorry, been actually having to work a bit today. Poor show, I know!) Was wondering whether Tom the instructor might be able to suggest a skill level for me, but don't know whether he actually posts?

I love swooshy blues because they are fun, easy and safe. I can ski higher, but nerves sometimes start to kick in, impacting on style - when my skill level is actually capable, if I could just smoke weed and chill, if that makes sense? (I THINK TOO MUCH!)
ski holidays
Masque, think I might be! Embarassed
snow report
Don't know who it was, but someone down at Taverne des Neiges was certainly on the herb.
snow conditions
OliviaDB,

Have a look at this one and rate yourself!

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/level.html
snow report
OliviaDB wrote:
I'd say that's about me. (Sorry, been actually having to work a bit today. Poor show, I know!) Was wondering whether Tom the instructor might be able to suggest a skill level for me, but don't know whether he actually posts?

And you define what I've been saying, all fun aside, it really is all about your skills. I'm a bit odd in that I like to experiment

(no . . . not like that . . . I've really got to start thinking before posting rolling eyes )

with different equipment, so I'm constantly having to evaluate, define and improve my competence. It is a truth that you are the skier, you drive whatever you clip into and it's you that has to develop the bio-mechanical feedback to understand what the wood, plastic, etc. you are standing on is doing . . . as well as the hill conditions. All this ski choice bollux is just the same as buying an expensive/better condom, there may be less chance of it exploding from vigorous use but it's not going to make me a better lover.

Just read the reviews (link to DB) go back out and play on no more than half a dozen toys and keep learning, there's no such thing as an 'expert skier', there are just people more practice skills than you . . . the best of us know they will always have more to learn.
snow conditions
Shocked I've just checked OliviaDB, is not yet down to do the EoSB - is this a good thing or not? Laughing I suspect we could have had a good time together!! Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin

OliviaDB, if you've got two skis that you like the feel of I don't suppose you will any harm on either pair. I didn't pick the skis I now ski on (an 80:20 on:off piste bias actually), I was given them probably before I had the skills to use them (in fact it might be argued that is still the case Laughing ), but I've kind of grown into them as I expect you will whatever pair you get.

Given that you've narrowed it down to two sets why not pick the ones that you prefer the top sheet on or that match your outfit the best? Having your own set (of skis!) just feels good snowHead Glad you had a great time on your first bash - I still remember mine snowHead

NB. apologies if the above is too sensible for this thread Embarassed
ski holidays
Megamum, HA! I speeet on yer sensibility. We need to get back to the FILTH & SMUT

Hi julia, you're not wrong, go for what you like the look of and learn to ski 'em wink
snow conditions
Masque,

Quote:

go for what you like the look of and learn to ski 'em

that works at all levels...............skis............check!................men.................check!!

BTW. re: bashes and

Quote:

the best peer support in the World

ain't that the truth snowHead forever!!

and I'll reserve judgement for now, but when I find a man that produces a box of gold plated condoms I'll report back on performance!
ski holidays
Shocked help!
latest report
gatecrasher,

Level 12, I am a fluid skier with a unique style.

Unique style . . . check √

Fluid skier . . . yup, frequently wet m'sen, check √

Level 12 . . . check √
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy