Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oh look, it's another 'new skis' thread. (But this one is the best)

Poster: A snowHead
Edit for the lazy but nevertheless wise:
I was at PSB. I tested skis. I liked two pairs (Red stars/Gloss). I want to buy, can't decide between, can't afford both, and am willing to listen to alternatives.
I'm a mostly piste skier, but ventured off for the first time and loved it, so don't want to now go back to stuck on piste. I'm 5'7", ~147lb. I want skis I can keep a while as I'm relatively skint. I want skis that will help me improve. Please help.

PREVIOUS VERSION OF POST IN ALL ITS GLORY:

BECAUSE IT'S MINE.

Hello all. Even those all who didn't get to experience the DELIGHTS (positive delights, I promise you) of my company at the PSB. (Small talk, Anya?)

Anyway, to the point, if I'm capable of such a thing. Possibly not. I'll highlight the key bits. (Ah, my voice, it is so wonderful for me to hear.)

Skis. I WANTS THE PRECIOUS.

I've had my own boots for a couple of seasons. Getting them was a genius idea. I've always rented skis, assuming I'm not good enough to notice/be worthy of a difference. Till the PSB where I might have hogged some of the test skis and used my rentals twice. :-S

So - I can tell a difference. Just.

I intend to ski at least 3-4 weeks a year, a good mate is moving to Geneva and he's a skier, so as soon as I've found a sugar daddy I'll be visiting him {the friend, not the sugar provider} (and hopefully slopes) some weekends. So - skiing will happen.
I'm willing to invest and take care of them - I can't afford to keep getting new skis (they last, right?!).

I want to get good. I mean, I know I'm never going to be wonderful, as I am not one of those children too young to walk but somehow hurtling down a piste, but I intend to keep skiing, keep practicing, keep getting lessons. I'm stubborn. I'm held back more by fear of out-of-control than lack of ski/ability. I prefer smooth to fast. But beginner slow is too slow.

So - I want skis that will allow me to advance, and that I don't need to replace for a while.
I normally ski on piste - and would like to improve here a lot. I LOVE swooshy blues. I am pretty confident on reds in good visability/not on sheet ice - but ski like a tit on everything in ... well, some of the weather we had at the PSB. I can get down anything, but that's probably not the same as 'skiing' anything.
However - I DID enjoy the nibbling/playing in the powder at the edge of the runs in Tignes. It was hilarious. I didn't do it at speed or gracefully, but did do it. (I think I'll need to learn to not fear speed before I improve tons with that, tendency to panic and do too sharp a turn.)
I have dark-sider friends. They like powder a lot. That said, they're too advanced for me to keep up with most the time.
I don't want to get trapped on piste so that's all I can do. But how often is there suitable beginner level non-pisted but completely safe pseudo off-piste? I don't want master-of-none-jack-of-all skis for one morning of powder a year (I could rent on such days? But how predictable are such things?)

Skis I tested:
Movement gloss: was able to get down the off-piste without falling. Giggled lots. On piste, were better than the rentals, but not so obviousls better as the ...
Kneissl Red Stars:
were amazing on piste - first I tried after the rentals, immediate difference. Took off piste *just to test* and fell almost immediately, hilarious falls - but only no tantrum in trying to get back on because I had significant help in not losing skis under snow. Proceeded to do the rest of the off-piste by skiing under the snow. Like a shark of ski doom. Got very cold feet.
Also tried the Kneissl Black Stars, and was underwowed. Didn't feel as sharp on piste as the red stars, and seemed just as 'meh' off piste.

So - thoughts I'm hoping for might be those answering the following questions:
1) What kind of skis are the best for learning with, improving with? (I know, it depends what you want to do - but I want to get good at everything. However, I suspect if I fear speed on piste less, I might fear it off piste less, and thus gain the confidence to go fast enough to make turns?)
2) Does anyone have any recommendations aside from those above?
3) What size should I be looking at? I'm 5'6.5" (5'7" on a good posture day), but believe myself taller than most people. I vary between 64-67kg (10-10.5 stone) - though love pie and cake so tend to hover at the top end of that scale unless REALLY behaving (which I never do).
4) What other questions should I be asking?

p.s. I've just noticed this thing has a language filter. Did you KNOW I'd be coming? (Innuendo not intended.)
p.p.s. For those at the PSB, I was about level with Tom's teaching group - the one that did carving on the positively delicious blue from Grattalu (the one up from Tichot). The 'off-piste' I did was the rapidly tracked out bit to the left of Tichot.
p.p.p.s. I'm going to stop editing this now. I'm bored at work. I want to ski. SKI.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 11-12-12 0:24; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
{stunned silence}
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
{stunned silence}

Not if you'd met her Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
still reading... haven't got to the end yet... Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OliviaDB,

Innuendo doesn't go down too well here. They demand SMUT.

As for skis, just buy red ones. You know you want to really.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
... I have now.

Erm... can't ski like a tit if you got promoted to top class. Plus that would mean we all ski like tits.

Only way to overcome that dilemma is to buy a quiver. That said, the Red Stars seemed quite popular, although I had no chance to try them out.

edit: were the Red Stars the RC or SC version?
edit2: wonder why last year the Black Stars were popular, but this year the Red Stars? boy/girl thing? or an ice vs epic snow thing?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 10-12-12 21:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OliviaDB,

I have no idea which skis to recommend but your post made me laugh (in a good way), so thank you for that! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OliviaDB, can't comment on which model, but get some piste skis now. Then, if you do ski three-four weeks a year, you'll be wanting a new pair of offpiste skis soon enough - so you'll get the thrill of buying a new pair again, and we'll get the pleasure of a new thread (on which I may be able to comment more specifically).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
anarchicsaltire wrote:
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
{stunned silence}

Not if you'd met her Toofy Grin

*gleeful cackle*

Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
musher wrote:
OliviaDB,

Innuendo doesn't go down too well here. They demand SMUT.

As for skis, just buy red ones. You know you want to really.

I did ... till I tried the Movement ones.

I am torn, positively TORN I tell you.

(p.s. Innuendo is for free, smut is pay-per-read.)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 10-12-12 22:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scaleyback wrote:
OliviaDB,

I have no idea which skis to recommend but your post made me laugh (in a good way), so thank you for that! Madeye-Smiley

GREAT SUCCESS!

wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy wrote:
... I have now.

Erm... can't ski like a tit if you got promoted to top class. Plus that would mean we all ski like tits.

Only way to overcome that dilemma is to buy a quiver. That said, the Red Stars seemed quite popular, although I had no chance to try them out.

edit: were the Red Stars the RC or SC version?
edit2: wonder why last year the Black Stars were popular, but this year the Red Stars? boy/girl thing? or an ice vs epic snow thing?

That was the top class? I had no idea! *post-event delight*
How come when you say tit it stays tit and my tits turn into boobs?

Quiver ... means ... more than one pair of skis? {Will accept donations, account never rejects anonymous funds.} Isn't that an back bottom transporting - can you get away with more than one pair on the scummy airlines (easyJet etc)?

RC or SC ... hmm ... what's the difference? I think RC (looking through my photos suggests this).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
horizon wrote:
OliviaDB, can't comment on which model, but get some piste skis now. Then, if you do ski three-four weeks a year, you'll be wanting a new pair of offpiste skis soon enough - so you'll get the thrill of buying a new pair again, and we'll get the pleasure of a new thread (on which I may be able to comment more specifically).

Might you be able to comment were I to request good intermediate skier all-rounders?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
she scares me Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque wrote:
she scares me Shocked

I'm mostly tame. I just love words. And writing. And reading. And myself.

I AM having a little fun here - because felt yet ANOTHER 'hello there are too many ski post recommendations for me to read so I'll just start a new one' post would have to be a little different to be deserving of response.

Did I overdo it?

Look. Come here. *pat pat* Better? *stroke stroke* ... Oh my! I'm so sorry! Embarassed

wink
latest report
Quote:

How come when you say booby it stays booby and my tits turn into boobs?

shhh.... don't tell everyone how to beat the word filter.
just break a word that will trigger the filter with something like [ u][ /u] eg ti[ u][ /u]ts or ar[ u][ /u]se (but without the spaces)

Quote:

Quiver ... means ... more than one pair of skis?

correct. same dilemma here. I just remind myself that 99.9% of what I ski is piste, and you don't always get such abundance of piste side powder. I've skied bumps and powder on Atomic GS skis. That wasn't pretty, but it's possible.
latest report
i need to go hide and change my pants Shocked
ski holidays
think I better book myself on the next bash that OliviaDB is on....
latest report
ansta1, you think you know OliviaDB!

You can't handle OliviaDB

Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Masque, You're welcome to this one! wink
snow conditions
gatecrasher, that's me screwed Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
Masque wrote:
ansta1, you think you know OliviaDB!

You can't handle OliviaDB

Twisted Evil

maybe not, but its never a bad thing to try and push the boundaries!
snow conditions
ansta1, defer to your master young padwan Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
gatecrasher, that's me screwed Shocked Shocked Shocked

... you haven't even bought me dinner!
ski holidays
but master i've heard this lesson before.
latest report
tflcbatr
ski holidays
OliviaDB, There are some fantastic Nordica speedmachines currently fs in buy/sell.... they are for collection only baby! Toofy Grin

Pssst Masque, this way...coast is clear!
ski holidays
II wrote:
tflcbatr

... Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 11-12-12 0:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
too Be Nice please! long can't be arsed to read...
ski holidays
OliviaDB, breakfast is the the most important meal of the day . . . especially on a ski bash

do you think she knows I'm her granddad? wink Oh fook! she wern't supposed to see that Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
II wrote:
too long can't be arsed to read...

Ahha. The bold bits were meant to be the cliffnotes.

A Wall of Text hits you for maximum damage!

Hmm ... perhaps my pleasure at writing has perhaps hindered the question. Perhaps I should do some editing. *sigh*
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
OliviaDB, breakfast is the the most important meal of the day . . . especially on a ski bash

do you think she knows I'm her granddad? wink Oh fook! she wern't supposed to see that Evil or Very Mad

Na, both died long ago - no incest likely. You can just be creepily old. Makes me feel younger, which is never bad.
latest report
OliviaDB, It's relatively easy . . .

Where do you want to ski?

Do you want to push or extend your abilities?

Am I too sexy for my bindings?
snow report
Masque wrote:
OliviaDB, It's relatively easy . . .

Where do you want to ski?

Do you want to push or extend your abilities?

Am I too sexy for my bindings?

I want to ski piste, but also in fluffy snow perhaps 'near' a piste. Not confident enough that I'd wander off into the deep off-pistes of beyond (though I'd like to get that good one day).

You phrase that as an alternative. I'm reading it as an 'and'. The answer is yes. To both. Or either.

Not sure. Do they hurt? No way you're disco dancing.
ski holidays
OliviaDB, http://www.easiski.com/On2OFF.html
ski holidays
OliviaDB, thanks for the edit snowHead ... don't think I can help though...sorry... I did like the skis I had for the week and will be buying them in the end of season sales...
latest report
Nah...way too... "I know what I want but gonna blame you lot if they're wrong!" Edit!
snow report
gatecrasher wrote:
Nah...way too... "I know what I want but gonna blame you lot if they're wrong!" Edit!

... of course I'll blame you lot. I'm female.
*looks blankly at you*

Gaaaaah I can't win. Wall of text/succinct. I can't please you.

*storms off dramatically*
snow conditions
I've really got to stop PwP'd . . . put it down to the amazing thunderstorm over Florida Shocked

OliviaDB, can I be creepily old and energetic? . . . the rest of you StFU Evil or Very Mad I'm onaroll Mr. Green

Seriously, if you have a quite restrictive goal of just piste pottering, there's little point in buying skis . If you want to go explore then you need summat a bit broad in't bum which for the most part will make yer life ont'piste a booger

Decide where you'll spend most of your time, buy skis for that and hire for those time when you step outside yer envelope.

but yes, I'm a lecherous old fart that really should ... NOPE! I'm a hard ab'd Adonis that'll take you to Nirvana . . . . well it is worth a try wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy