Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How good a skier are you?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone else found the ability scales based on weeks on snow unhelpful?

On the SCGB scale http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/holidays/gradingzone.asp I should be a blue standard after my 5 weeks of experience, but I would say I was in the silver standard box where I should have 15 weeks of experience.

Of course if it is the case that the scale is right and I just have this amazing natural talent I would be delighted to find out so that I can put it to use in a new career as professional ski racer!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it's all a bit of nonsense. I mean I probably have played as much footie in my life as Wayne Rooney but you don't see me banging them in for England (more's the pity Very Happy )

I also think that there are a load of factors which are not taken into account on these scales. Fitness, quality and amount of teaching, gaps between trips, bravery/foolhardiness, equipment, where you ski, when you ski, conditions on the day, natural athletic ability, commitment etc. etc. I could go on.

Realistically someone who is very fit and committed to trying new stuff will (shock horror) be better than a timid fat bloke after the same amount of time. Being both fat and foolhardy, I am probably where I should be according to this scale, around the intermediate level aspiring for the tough stuff. My only advantage skiing wise is I am prepared to push myself to try the tougher stuff.

So see you all in hospital... Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The SCGB scale seemed pretty helpful to me (for it's intended purpose of getting the right people in the right holidays/ski groups), although very mogul oriented for some reason?? - but I'm pretty lazy in my skiing Happy I wouldn't be suprised that with regular lessons, fitness and an adventurous mindset you could easily run up the levels quicker...The levels from red upward to me are more about inclination, fitness, no of lessons and nerve than weeks on snow....I have no wish to ski hard blacks or steep moguls so it's unlikely I'll get much better at it, no matter how long I ski!

Congrats on getting all that way in 5 weeks Happy I've been skiing on and off for 15 years and I'd hesitate to claim anything above red (although I have 10 weeks on snow - so thats about right Very Happy ) - there again that might just be because I hate bumps! Soo tiring!

Congrats on your progress!

aj xx
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well thanks Embarassed maybe I just had good coaching though! I think it can be a problem when you go to buy equipment and in order to advise you on what to buy they ask 'how many weeks have you skied?' because like you say someone could be quite timid and ski 5 weeks and just be progressing to parellel turns (and need e.g. fairly soft boots), whereas someone else might be pretty competent on black runs after this time (and need quite different equipment).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MelEllis, Hopefully the pros in shops and ski schools would follow up the weeks question with more detailed questions. If they don't - leave!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MelEllis, The SCGB scale seems to have a big gap
"Novice off piste. Never tried powder skiing, or had a few limited attempts"
and
"Aspirer off piste. After one or two weeks' experience off piste"

So if you've less than a weeks off piste experience what are you Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They count them both as red so it doesn't matter I think - you'd be 'red;
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At the risk of being a little contentious, as far as off piste goes a heck of a lot is decided by your equipement. On a heli trip in Canada a few years ago we had a very nice German chap who'd been persuaded to come along by his mate who's normal heli pal had had to drop out.

The poor guy was unfit and really not a terribly good skier at all. The rest of the group were all pretty off piste experienced. So by day 2, although we weren't frustrated (as the poor guy was providing us with rest breaks) he clearly was struggling. So off came the mid fats and on went the very phat fats indeed. He was a very happy bunny for the rest of the week.

IMHO, having seen that anyone (well almost anyone) can ski powder/decent unpisted snow with the right kit.

Which slightly skews the "ability" scale...doesn't it?

As it happens I thought it would be fun to spend the first day on my GS skis...it was... Luckily it was only a half day... "Something slightly fatter for you tomorrow, sir?", "Oh, yes, please that'll do nicely thank you"
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ajhainey, that'll be me then Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
me too Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy