Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How good a skier are you?

Poster: A snowHead
On a scale of, one to ten. (Ski Instuctor (6))? Twisted Evil
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER, we had a thread on the subject of ski ability scales. It was a very long thread.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
is ski instructor 6 a benchmark for the rest of us to work it out or are you a ski instructor who rates a 6?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's more a point of provocation, when i ask my clients, it's always 'Intermediate/advanced' tells me nothing, if then asked, 'OK, on a scale of 1-10?' the answer is always, 6-7. Makes no sense.
No nead to relpy, just think about it.

1, Beginner, never skied.
2, Beginner, skied a few times, not confident with the alltitude/danger.
3, Beginner/intermediate, linking turns, skiing on holiday without instruction.
4, Intermediate, growing in confidence. Likes to think can ski well on a good day, hates the bad days.
5, Intermediate/Advanced, fewer bad days, skis like a god on good days. Starting to stray further off piste.
6, Advanced/Instructor level, consistant skier all conditions.
7, Instructor/Competitor, pushes the boundries, trains and lives to ski. Pays the bills.
8, Competitor/Pro Rider, can ski as good as anyone on their day. Skiing new lines. Factory Sponsorship pending.
9, Pro Skier, early days but will be up there with the best, conditions/injuries/results pending.
10, World Champion/W/C winner, all of us, in our dreams. Changing the way we all ski! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
like the idea - bit of large jump for 5 to 6 though!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
waitingforwinter, I would say there are equally large jumps from 6 to 7, from 7 to 8, from 8 to 9 and from 9 to 10.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not really, the learing curve through 5-6 is just a matter of ski time and consistancy. I ski occasionally with instuctors who don't often stray off piste due to work commitments. This is always a little subjective, it fits well with skier profiles here and drives improvement in almost everyone. Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with you SMALLZOOKEEPER, not so long ago on here i was shot down in flames when someone who said they where an expert skier was asking advice on the most basic issue, and my response was "if you are an expert skier surely you wouldn't need to ask this question". Well i can say my response didn't go down too well Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Myself I'd rate as a 4.5 on your scale though I don't do much off piste as I'd like due to my weight
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, With you on that one!!!!!! 4.5 for me too Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great, it's getting you thinking, just trying to add a little perspective. We can open it up from 1-20 to try and bridge the gaps. Just want you all to be aware of what a 9-10 is. It will help you get better advice in shops if we can nail it. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, for me advice doesn't matter so much as I have years of experience buying/using equipment in my case my weight is my biggest problem, if I could loose a reasonable amount of the excess blubber arround my middle I'd definately go to a 5 or even just over a 6 on your scale, mind you I have a wierd setup with Rossi Soft1 boots combined with Head iGS RD skis Shocked great comfort and control from the boots with superb on piste performance from the skis, I just have to work my legs a bit more due to the large amount of flex in the boots
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, if you have several hours to spare you might be interested in this similar thread Just how good a skier do you think you are.

Twisted Evil

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 17-10-05 14:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, for me advice doesn't matter so much as I have years of experience buying/using equipment in my case my weight is my biggest problem, if I could loose a reasonable amount of the excess blubber arround my middle I'd definately go to a 5 or even just over a 6 on your scale, mind you I have a wierd setup with Rossi Soft1 boots combined with Head iGS RD skis Shocked great comfort and control from the boots with superb on piste performance from the skis, I just have to work my legs a bit more due to the large amount of flex in the boots

Advice matters, ask anyone who has had bad advice. Stay open, cynisism is for the polititians. Perspective works. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been discussing with my other half recently about how everyone I know tends to say 'I like to ski reds and sometime blacks', just like you say that everyone you speak to rates themselves as a level 6/7.

Having just skied a season I can safely say that saying you are a consistent skier on a particular colour of slope means nothing. We experienced some horrendous conditions of snow where no one (and I mean no one!) was able to ski smoothly and consistently on the Saddle one afternoon at Whistler mid-february). That includes a CSIA level 4 instructor who was skiing with us.

So if we're talking about beautiful 'to die for' snow on a blue run which has just been groomed I'd rate myself much higher than if we're talking about narrow chutes of blue bumpy ice with the potential hazard of a rock wall to ski into.

In conclusion, I would say I am a level 2/3/4/5/6 skier. wink
snow report
Now thats perspective. We could work with that. A few well placed questions and we could sell you the right stuff. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, interested to know how much of an effect it would have on equipment choice levels 6-10 have. Yes, the jumps in ability are quite marked but I would say that once you are level 6 you would be able to get the benefit out of most high end kit and it's more a case of finding something you like than finding something you are physically capable of using?
latest report
Now my skiing is like my golf rolling eyes FOUR
latest report
What consitutes "something you like?". Last winter we ski tested, perfect conditions, well rested, no hang-overs. Not a bad ski to speak of. Year before, we ski tested, awful conditions, tired, hung-over. Not a good ski amongst them, or very few. This is so subjective. The best ski ever, is a mind trick.
Conclusion: In todays age, there are 'NO' bad skis, only bad experiences on certain skis. Skiing is a pleasure in its own right. Skis will do as there told, eventually. Are you telling them to do the right thing? Read; Get your boots fitted correctly, then, when you are correctly attached, we can try and find the bad ones.
Twisted Evil
snow report
I have never skied on a 'bad pair' of skis. I have skied on skis more suitable for some conditions than others, skis that were too long in that style, required more ability than I have, but never 'bad skis'. I pretty much like all skis, at the moment I love powder (can't see that changing) and fatties make that more enjoyable, and steep couloirs, which often involve powder or unprepared snow, hence fatties. My old Crossmax 8's I got for £40 in Canada were shite off piste, but great on it. Not bad skis though
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I think my point what is the scale trying to achieve? it's probably OK for ranking skiers in terms of absolute ability (or at least we can have an argument about that). But you seem to be putting it forward as something to use when judging what equipment to recommend to people who come into your shop.

If this is the case, isn't it a bit of a waste of time for one third of the categories to be taken up by people who probably get their kit given to them (categories 8-10 at least) and one half of the categories (6-10) to be taken up by people who "can" ski pretty much any ski?
latest report
4.5 for me too. snowHead

I think one of the major problems on ski slope grading is there is no consistancy. Case in point- Breckenridge where some blacks are fantastic when nicely groomed and some slopes of the same grading made me fear for my life!

On golf courses they have a stroke index grading the holes from 1-18. 1 being the hardest 18 being the easiest. I reckon they should implement that in ski resorts. Then you'll know what to go for and what to avoid. slope 82 of 82 being the easiest and 1 of 82 being brown sallopettes time...
snow report
Yeah, 100% true. I struggle with the customers whom, rightly or not, register a 7-8 therefore struggle with equipment in this category.
Once i asked a guy how well he skied, he replied,
"How old are you?"
I replied.
"Well,"he said, "I've been skiing longer than you have been alive. I've never skied with or seen a better skier than me."
This guy was a Merchant Banker, in both senses.
"OK" i said, " What are your aspirations this week?"
He replied," Fly around a bit, warm up, then at the end of the week,we're going to attack the Vallee Blanche, Off-Piste, mate."
His line of discort didn't change, he was asked to leave as he was offending both; customer and staff.
It was a shame because, i didn't get to sell him anything or help him. I want to advoid these instances at all costs, if we can.
This i feel is only possible if we can, cut through the marketing and be a little more honest. This will stop the factorys having to revise kit so often due to negative feedback based on bad advice or misunderstanding of clients needs. Twisted Evil
snow report
Civilserpent wrote:
4.5 for me too. snowHead

I think one of the major problems on ski slope grading is there is no consistancy. Case in point- Breckenridge where some blacks are fantastic when nicely groomed and some slopes of the same grading made me fear for my life!

On golf courses they have a stroke index grading the holes from 1-18. 1 being the hardest 18 being the easiest. I reckon they should implement that in ski resorts. Then you'll know what to go for and what to avoid. slope 82 of 82 being the easiest and 1 of 82 being brown sallopettes time...

My understanding of slope grading, at least in france, is: A black run is given to the hardest run in the resort, then red and so on. Not based on a standard grade for all resorts. ie. A black run in Meribel, would in theory be easier than for instance here in Chamonix. This is only my understanding, as some reds here, require greater effort than some blacks, it's quite difficult however can't think how it can be done better. Twisted Evil
snow report
Civilserpent, Slope grading (IMHO) is never an exact science. Snow conditions can change how a slope skis dramatically. So (for example), the Leisse above Tignes is graded black - but some days skis like a blue, and on other days is unskiable.
snow conditions
Quote:

the Leisse above Tignes is graded black - but some days skis like a blue, and on other days is unskiable.

I saw an ESF instructor fall on it last December NehNeh
latest report
At times I would rate myself a 10.

Then the alarm goes off and another day begins ...
snow report
Ideally, the stage you want to get to - if you have this desire, of course, otherwise stick to what you enjoy - is to be able to go basically anywhere and be able to cope because you have a turn and the confidence to do just that. This is why I am not so keen on talking about this turn and that turn. You need one that works anywhere. If I was to ski with some very good skiers my concern would not be could I ski it, it would be at what speed would I have to ski it.! If you are on a route which takes quite a deal of commitment the first thing you want to be is safe and controlled and being out of your depth, speed-wise doesn't help. But hopefully you have sorted that out before you even set off..!!

On good day I'm happy with what I can do, sometimes I need a little help but I don't fall on difficult stuff much. I'm probably more pi$$ed I haven't got any style going...!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm a solid 1.
snow report
I had a solid 2 once. sic, sorry. Twisted Evil
snow report
I'm not doing this again! Shocked
ski holidays
Sorry, no need to reply. Just interested to see what kind of response there is. Humbling hey? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
D G Orf, ginger winger, I'm about a 4.5 too, although possibly more of a 4.25 Wink
ski holidays
There are always plenty better...!!
latest report
Charlatanefc, That means I may have to prove that one day then if we were ever to meet up on the slopes..... I may have to review my claim now Shocked
snow conditions
I'd say I'm a solid 4, except I'm not too sure about the 'likes to think can ski well on good day' - don't think I do ski well, I get by and I get down.... Very Happy
ski holidays
I can tick the 5 box. Have a basic instructor qualification but can't be a 6 as I ski bumps like an octopus & haven't done enough off-piste so not consistent in all conditions.

Therefore somewhere between 5 to 6 depending on conditions & beer consumption the previous night wink

Happiness for me would be a true 6 Cool
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
"Well,"he said, "I've been skiing longer than you have been alive. I've never skied with or seen a better skier than me."

you should have asked him if that was because he'd never left the nursery slopes Laughing

everyone seems to be a 4 or a 5 - maybe you need another scale wink
snow conditions
ginger winger, that could be a good laugh Wink You going the ski show in Manchester the weekend after next?
latest report
I really think that (especially as we all like to imagine ourselves as skiing something - when all we do is to get down it in one piece) we should inject a large amount of self regulation regarding our skiing ability descriptions. I've skied for 3 weeks in total, done blacks, moguls, off piste, jumps etc but really cream my ski pants on steep gully stuff that I should by rights not attempt. My technique is cr@p but this is just the terrain that just does it for me. My point - according to the ratings charts I am an advanced skier. Bull!!! I still need to work at carving tech' on blues, attempt jump turns that progress more than a 20 degree rotation and to land hucks without incorporating a forward roll. I've seen a 1st week skier launch off a 15 foot 75 degree edge, crash and come up smiling. They also got down a red the same day. Others have stayed on greens but have developed a smooth turning ability which will bode them well for the future. Descriptions are so rough a guide as to become almost meaningless IMHO.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy