Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Jumpers for the Discerning Skier

Poster: A snowHead
The SOS lined jumper revered still by many retailed at £120 in 1988.

The problem for the jumper was the carving ski; most now ski much faster so the wind tears through anything unlined.

I recently sold two SOS SHnd 1987 jumpers in ace condition for £30 and £40 resp. to some knee benders, so they are still prized, but après ski to the restaurant is probably their home now for non free heelers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry but I wouldn't wear it even if it was free!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cynic, I got a new (2010) black SOS windstopper jumper with blue/grey triangles, super-warm. Very comfortable to wear and ski in, defo old skool kool to boot! SOS still make them, and infact there's an ebay listing at the moment for BNWT L/XL in grey or blue for £120.

Makes our Mr Jumpers look a tad overpriced, underspeced, and not-quite-got-it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now these are nice ski jumpers:

http://www.loveclothing.com/womens-vintage-cream-jumper-p-4847_4_137.html

http://www.asos.com/Ski-Jumper/SKI-JUMPER-with-Mountain-Scene/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2449761&cid=14622&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Green
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And this one

https://marketplace.asos.com/listing/jumpers/vintage-ski-jumper/331842?utm_source=google_product_search&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google_product_search
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Has anyone got any thigh slapping trousers I feel a tyrolian evening coming on?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Gutted, I though that was going to be a link to some seriously retro snowflake pattern or simmilar jumper.

Me too, I saw Ski Jumpers and I thought it was a thread for these:

Smile Smile Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Like kat.ryb I expected retro snowflakes. I wish you all the best, but I have to agree they didn't do a lot for me and I really don't like the big badges on the sleeves
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I thought this was going to be a thread about Simon Amman and co... Sad

Don't knock Aldi - our band leader, a professional trumpeter, regularly plays a trumpet he picked up in Aldi for about 70 squid
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eng_ch wrote:
I thought this was going to be a thread about Simon Amman and co... Sad

Don't knock Aldi - our band leader, a professional trumpeter, regularly plays a trumpet he picked up in Aldi for about 70 squid

It's Toryheads.....of course they are going to knock Aldi !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eng_ch, I don't knock ALDI, I've got plenty of their stuff and I like it . . . but it doesn't cost much moolah for mid range quality. So when there's a product that to all intents and purposes has all the retail attraction of their kit but with premium hang tag . . . it's not going to happen. For this product it's all about perceived quality and detail and both appear lacking, however high the materials and workmanship. Why do you think people buy crappy made Spyder knockoffs from eBay at stupid prices?
Any new entry into this market MUST have some form of Unique Selling Point and that has to be visible . . . say sleeves that end in fingerless gloves, D3o armor pockets, electric heating fibers knitted in.

The most obvious thing though is looking at the seasons colourways from the top companies and choosing to make you product complement the new tones and not just produce eyeburning primaries. People will buy products that either complement their gear or go for summat completely OFF the wall like neon pastels. The red and blue are just horrid . . . and in dire need of Cayce Pollard

I'm not even going to touch the logos/badging

EDIT: on reflection snowHeads is probably the worst place on t'interweb to introduce this product . . . and not just 'cos weez a bunch of opinionated buggеrs but we are a very well informed and savvy shopper info sharing bunch of opinionated buggеrs. I hope the OP takes this into account and their friends don't take us to heart 'cos there are lots of consumers out here who won't or don't want to be as informed (cheap) as many of us. We do tend to want multiple ski trips rather than just looking good for a week in Verbier.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I do like Dale, however, I still have a soft spot for the old school Oxbow ones... especially the early classics with. Hilarious to wear. They do last, too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not something I'd wear, and certainly not for that price!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ebay, the few place to find the oldies : EUR20/40
latest report
I'm looking for something in the 1930's style to go with my 'new' wooden skis. The Harris tweed plus 8's are a bit scratchy round the nethers but some decent base layers should sort that. Retro is the new 'black' Leather boots too . . . Very Happy

You think I jest?

Dale are nice (very) but still too modern
latest report
Masque, Is this to distract us away from the Autumn statement?
snow report
Cynic, No, I want to find out if all this new crap we throw at the snow each season is really worth all the hype. Do we actually need the madness of manic psudo development. I'm putting together a package of 30s-40s gear for next season and I'll stick with it. Oh and no modern materials, silk, wool and waxed cotton. Will the 'fun' factor be significantly less fro a recreational skier . . . might look a bit silly on a snowboard though.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
I'm looking for something in the 1930's style to go with my 'new' wooden skis. The Harris tweed plus 8's are a bit scratchy round the nethers but some decent base layers should sort that. Retro is the new 'black' Leather boots too . . . Very Happy

You think I jest?

Dale are nice (very) but still too modern

I do understand that. I have been ski-ing with a wooly-pully I bought in a surplus for more than 15 years until I overgrew it and opted for the then new fleece. A few years after, I was then issued the french version of the wooly-pully and wollen plus-twos assorted with high, thick white wool "bas de laine" as a conscript and criss-crossed the Alps all seasons for nearly two years without any cold/warm issues.

I am sure you are going to do well in your Harris tweed, woolen jumpers and other so-called old fashion clothing items. Enjoy.

I still have a woolen plus-two in size 42 if you want to. Old Craghoppers ones.
ski holidays
Product, promotion and price do not match. Not that I would buy it for £20 but the product really does look like something you could buy from Lidl, and you do not buy £140 jumpers in Lidl. There are people who would spend £140 on a jumper (I am not one of those people) but you are going to have to try a lot harder to convince people to part with £140 on your jumpers.

Ignoring the deficiencies in the product, the website just isn't good enough for selling a jumper costing £140:
    The colour scheme is a plain awful grey
    [TBH if you really are going to build your own website then use something like Wordpress, with a suitable chosen theme to match the product - this will help a lot with the look and feel of the site, it will look a lot more professional].

The pictures are hopeless (ie mug shots in front of a wall). If you are trying to sell a 'skiing' product then use suitable images and incorporate the product ---> mountains, snow, people skiing, apres - ie people smiling, having fun, using the product etc.

Logo is terrible.

Just look at the quality of Icebreaker, goretex & arcteryx - the products are awesome and they make their products look awesome with some great marketing and all have fantastic websites.

Sorry, I haven't anything nice to say, I am just saying as I see it.
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
Cynic, No, I want to find out if all this new crap we throw at the snow each season is really worth all the hype. Do we actually need the madness of manic psudo development. I'm putting together a package of 30s-40s gear for next season and I'll stick with it. Oh and no modern materials, silk, wool and waxed cotton. Will the 'fun' factor be significantly less fro a recreational skier . . . might look a bit silly on a snowboard though.

Oh Christ, Marsque's going all Didier Cuche on us. Be careful you don't tweak that achilles in those leather boots and on those wooden skis, Masque Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Chasseur, It's the one I didn't foookoop that hurts when I fartlek and I look good in spats
ski holidays
Masque, had to look that up as wasn't sure if you were referring to that legendary @rse Laughing

So this is what we can expect to see at the EoSB?

ski holidays
Chasseur, I've got the hat, trews, poles, skis . . . better socks . . . that jacket looks a little too Edwardian for comfort. I'm serious, the late 20's, early 30's was the beginning of skiing as a mass (relatively) holiday recreation for people who didn't live near mountains and I want to see just how far we have progressed. I'm not going to state any forethought about the experiment, just see what the differences are.
latest report
Laughing can't wait...
snow report
Masque, Well Didier seemed to do sort of OK with it in that run! Seriously don't forget with regard to your experiment if there aren't loads of photos it didn't happen!
snow conditions
davkt wrote:
Masque, Well Didier seemed to do sort of OK with it in that run!

Having seen them both ski, that was probably about as close as Masque will ever get.....and it wasn't that close Laughing
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
. . . might look a bit silly on a snowboard though.

Nah, you don't look that bad Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chasseur, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
Chasseur, I've got the hat, trews, poles, skis . . . better socks . . . that jacket looks a little too Edwardian for comfort. I'm serious, the late 20's, early 30's was the beginning of skiing as a mass (relatively) holiday recreation for people who didn't live near mountains and I want to see just how far we have progressed. I'm not going to state any forethought about the experiment, just see what the differences are.

Once watched a ski show where a small team of instructors went back through the ages. They looked great to begin with but it got worse and worse. By the time they reached the leather boots and skis without much metal they looked like beginners.
snow conditions
Chasseur, Very Happy snowHead
snow report
Wool and silk are increasingly the choice instead of 100% modern materials, aren't they. 20 years ago it was polyester everything. Now you can get wool fleece. Wool thermals. And frankly, I ski in wool jumpers.

You'll really notice the difference comparing a breathable jacket with waxed cotton. Otherwise I doubt there's much in it for the underlayers. And when you sit down in the snow, the difference between your tweed and goretex trousers will really begin to show.
snow conditions
DB, you're going to enjoy this aren't you Evil or Very Mad However I do have a theory that I've been exploring over the last couple of seasons in that if you put someone who's skied on modern kit they will try to ride the old stuff in the same way and fail. The skier has to adapt to the equipment and that's where I'm going with this. That timeframe is when edges, both steel and wood started to be added to skis and I've found someone who can make wooden skis with Lignum edges and as long as a ski is 'free running' with good wax it's astounding how hard they can be driven with the right technique . . .

Of course, this could be just 'providing amusement for others' Sad
latest report
James the Last, it depends on the density of the weave . . . do some research . . . the idea behind Gortex didn't fall out of the blue. The concept was/is 60+ years old
snow report
Masque, How about ventile?
ski holidays
davkt, exactly
latest report
Masque wrote:
Of course, this could be just 'providing amusement for others' Sad

Don't worry, I have a bulk batch of popcorn on order already Wink
snow report
eng_ch, You'd be well advised to eat it and view from behind the safety netting........ no.... wait a minute.... Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
kat.ryb wrote:
Gutted, I though that was going to be a link to some seriously retro snowflake pattern or simmilar jumper.

But it was just a £140 fleece. No thanks.

thats what i thought... Sad now if they were cool retro snowflakes/ custom knitted jumpers i think maybe a few more people would be interested...

Snowheads logo knitted jumper....hmmmmm Shocked
ski holidays
Let's get this straight - you are deliberately going to handicap yourself with outdated equipment and clothing that even if it performs at the same level will be heavy as f**k, and spend good money doing so rather than just raiding a charity shop? There truly must be no other challenges left in snowsports.

Personally I'd just get a sled and get into highmarking or other known deathsport.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy