Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Jumpers for the Discerning Skier

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd post a link to a friend of mines new venture – http://www.skijumpers.co.uk and http://www.facebook.com/pages/SKi-Jumpers/423410937677943?fref=ts

He's created and designed an all British high-tech / stylish / traditional ski jumper for the discerning skier hitting the slopes in the warmer months, or as snazzy apres ski top and extra layer in the depths of winter. This is only a sideline for him at the moment so any positive comments or advice I'm sure will be greatly appreciated, and will hopefully lead him to extend the colours and designs available.

I've had a feel and wear of the samples and they really are quality products, and will stand out amongst the plethora of North Face / Berghaus / Craghoppers etc etc tops out there.

I've instilled in him the positive power of Snowheads, so look forward to your comments and orders - and by the way I'm not on a commission just trying to help out a buddy.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

Reded is right. I have a new venture and he has kindly introduced me to this site. If you go to my facebook page and like me I'll be putting out some discounts soon. So please 'like' my site in return I'll give you a discount.

Early birds catch the best powder

Mr Ski Jumpers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are only two ski jumpers for the discerning Eisbar and the lined SOS, but when was the last time you saw someone skiing in a jumper? I think you may be 25 years too late.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cynic, Telemarkers ski in jumpers - usually knitted from their own beards/backs admittedly though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My OH has a lined SOS from Verbier circa 1990 and our kids give him such stick if he wears it.........but hey, maybe its time for a revival, I skied in a jumper last March as the old ski jacket was a bit warm. I am going to check Mr Ski Jumpers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
These are the business, surely. http://www.longlanier.com/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
this is basically a mid layer for £140? seems over priced to me rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sweet - will look bitchin with my SX91s, Stretch racer pants and neon headband.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, POST PIX PLZ! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cynic wrote:
There are only two ski jumpers for the discerning Eisbar and the lined SOS......

Dale of Norway have been around for some time - I have one of their jumpers which has a windproof lining, and is quite warm enough to ski in on a Spring day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the poshest of the ski shops in Les Saisies sells those kind of Norwegian jumpers - they're rather good. My mum knitted me a jumper in Norwegian fairisle when I first went skiing - in Norway, in 1963.

My first response to those ski jumpers is that they look OK, as a mid layer under a jacket, but they look like the kind of fleece you can buy much more cheaply in lots of places. I realise they're not, that they are merino wool, etc, but the "look" isn't very interesting, I'm afraid (not to me, anyway). And, to be even more negative, those logos on the sleeve would put me right off. And (sorry.....) not keen on the colours either. Turquoise blue is not great, but it would be better without the red contrast.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr Ski Jumpers, might as well go an' top yersel' wink

Seriously; they look ok but £140 Shocked You gotta be havin' a laff. There's lots of competition out there and I'm finding it hard to see what would make me spend that amount of money on this product. I'd hate to get it wet (I fall over a lot wink ) and I don't like 1/4 length zips for outer garments much preferring a full length zip. Badges on the sleeves are too obtrusive unless you're going for the ultra visible branding so beloved of a certain class of fashionista.

I'm sure you've put a lot of time and effort getting this project off the ground and I hope it's a success but not for me I'm afraid.

ps you need to do some proof reading and spell checking of the text on the website - soz Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

you need to do some proof reading and spell checking of the text on the website - soz

yes, I thought that too, but I didn't like to add to my list of gripes! He's right, though!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
£140......you need to take a running jump !
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They look nice... but £140 seems a bit steep.

I bought a retro Rossignol padded Slalom jumper in La Plagne in 2009... £55 and it was lined too for wind proof.
Really nice for Apres beers and barging to the bar wink

The retro jumper needs a revival imho... Razz

This one is the dog's though... wink Embarassed Laughing

http://skiworld.name/show_img.php?id=681&year=1980-2080
ski holidays
spud, I'd have called that a Bomber Jacket style rather than a jumper - full zip, collar, elasticated sleeve and waist cuffs, short in the body.
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Cynic wrote:
There are only two ski jumpers for the discerning Eisbar and the lined SOS......

Dale of Norway have been around for some time - I have one of their jumpers which has a windproof lining, and is quite warm enough to ski in on a Spring day.

Yep, Dale is da real thing. I have three, one of them lined with windstopper. They are so heavy though that they put you over your luggage allowance.
ski holidays
Gutted, I though that was going to be a link to some seriously retro snowflake pattern or simmilar jumper.

But it was just a £140 fleece. No thanks.
latest report
There is no way I'd pay £140 for one of those.

I'm not particularly keen on the design which I think looks a little cheap but the price tag certainly isn't.
snow report
Just to let you know (in case you are expanding over the pond or have ambitions to) that in Canada (and I think US), a jumper is a pinafore dress.

I totally get the name for UK, but thought I would let you know
latest report
gryphea, could avoid a lot of confusion! Actually, the garments being discussed here wouldn't really class as "jumpers" in my vocabulary, any more than I'd call a fleece a "jumper". Like kat.ryb I expected retro snowflakes. The word is so vague that it probably isn't a good idea to categorise a product, especially if it's a dress in Canada.

It's a shame we are being rather negative - but they did ask!
ski holidays
Sorry, quite like the jumpers but agree the price is rather steep. and on the looks from the photos they look rather too like my cheapo aldi fleeces from a distance. Think I'll stick to a few layers of John Smedleys merino from the factory shop just down the road!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 4-12-12 23:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
reded78, Lose the badges, do it in other colours and drop the price and you might have a winner but as long as I can get an Icebreaker 320 equivalent at 2/3 the price which is tried and tested why should I buy one of these? Sorry but its not for me, hope your friend does ok though. Looks like it needs more R&D to me.
latest report
I don't like the jumpers much. But if people pay the best part of £50 for merino socks then perhaps the price stacks up.
snow conditions
I too was expecting to find some nice snowflake/reindeer patterns. Instead it looks like a fleece jumper but for considerably more money. At that price I'd expect to get the rest of the sheep too ready for the oven.
snow report
Mr Ski Jumpers, could you have found a more disinterested looking female model?

140 is too steep for me too
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
...if people pay the best part of £50 for merino socks then perhaps the price stacks up.
yes and £23 of that £140 goes to the Vatman and they are probably making in small numbers so a not unexpected price. Icebreaker do some mid layers at over £140. Some of the Dale jumpers are now £400+.

I reckon the big Ski Jumper logo on the sleeve must go though. It's a bit shouty.
latest report
£140, you have to be kidding me?! You can't just launch a new product that is pretty similar to others on the market with a ridiculous price, your friend might need to drop the price significantly, perhaps even below break even, until he gains a market for his products before he can think about setting extortionate prices.

Like others have mentioned, the logo is too obtrusive, also not a fan of the Union Jack on the other arm either.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After seeing the price of the Dale jumpers, maybe these aren't as ridiculous as at first glance. They do actually seem to have a windproof lining, although no mention of any attempt to waterproof the wool.
Of course the logo's are god awful.
latest report
For a lined (Windstopper equivalent) merino wool jumper with very minimal seams, £140 is an OK price. You could ski in one with a few layers underneath no problem. Nice spring day, jumpers for goalposts, ahhh...
snow conditions
I've gone down the merino wool / cashmere / wool path this winter.

Merino wool base layers for approx 60 quid for top and bottom

Merino wool jumpers from TK Maxx. Various brands for 30-40 quid each. They do double duty for apres too.

So for the price of 1 'Ski Jumper' I can get base layer top, base layer bottom, and 2 jumpers.

In the words of the Dragon's Den "I'm out"
latest report
For that money I'd want a proper jumper like these. Maybe a little bit cheezy peazy but I'm sure you'll agree that the're absolutely smashing.

http://cdn.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/xmas1.jpg

http://entertainment.ie/images_content/NO%20FEE%20CHRISTMAS%20JUMPER%20WORLD%20RECORD%20MX-3.jpg

http://metro.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/12/09/uglysweaters.jpg
snow conditions
I think they are lovely but £140 is too much.
snow report
Mr Ski Jumpers, reded78, sorry, they don't do it for me. I like the the short zip style and that's what I have for my mid-layer. But these ones don't look fitted but quite baggy. I like fitted tops. I don't like big cuffs on the sleeves as once they get wet they never dry and the guy's blue one looks very creased! Should have ironed it before the photo shoot perhaps? But I've never had a mid-layer that needs ironing!

So the styling doesn't do it for me and definitely the price doesn't. Not when I can get an Icebreaker for cheaper. And I too was expecting a lovely retro type tradition pattern Sad

I don't want to be so negative but I really think you will have difficulties selling this, especially online. Maybe in the flesh they are more appealing but they are still 'non-branded', ie non-tried and tested.
latest report
Hmmm, crude branding, unsubtle loud colouring, bat wing like sleeves and if they're going to be that long and baggy put thumb holes in them, doesn't look like there's a rebate for the zip at the top end to stop it rubbing you throat. All the merino wool in the world couldn't persuade me to spend 140 buy something that looks like it came from ALDI. Sorry

Stitch on badges . . . really! rolling eyes
snow report
Mike Pow, My approach as well, and as I said lucky me has the Smedley's factory shop about 10 min down the road so just wait for the clearance sales they have every few months and stock up on merino and cashmere at £15 each!
snow conditions
Quote:

You can't just launch a new product that is pretty similar to others on the market with a ridiculous price,

Well, that actually DID work for red bull.

Masque, sums it up well. Sorry.
latest report
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

You can't just launch a new product that is pretty similar to others on the market with a ridiculous price,

Well, that actually DID work for red bull.

Not really. A guy took a product from another market/culture and westernized it while positioning it very carefully and building up a masisve marketing empire around it.
snow report
Quote:

Not really. A guy took a product from another market/culture and westernized it while positioning it very carefully and building up a masisve marketing empire around it.

But built up a the premium brand based on the extortionate price point.
latest report
Masque wrote:
Hmmm, crude branding, unsubtle loud colouring, bat wing like sleeves and if they're going to be that long and baggy put thumb holes in them, doesn't look like there's a rebate for the zip at the top end to stop it rubbing you throat. All the merino wool in the world couldn't persuade me to spend 140 buy something that looks like it came from ALDI. Sorry

Stitch on badges . . . really! rolling eyes

Careful Aldi don't sue you for libel.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy