Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

helmet argument

Poster: A snowHead
Last year I had two knocks that in all certainty would not have killed me but because of my bonks basket resulted in just a few minutes collecting my thoughts and kit to ski onward. I really doubt that would have been the case without it . . . and I know an awful lot about self abuse.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last year I had two knocks that in all certainty would not have killed me but because of my bonks basket resulted in just a few minutes collecting my thoughts and kit to ski onward. I really doubt that would have been the case without it . . . and I know an awful lot about self abuse.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowqueen11, There are a few multi use helmets out there, Giro make one, I think there are others too. Don't know how good they are. Must admit I tend to think along the lines of "Jack of all trades master of none" so buy a different helmet for each job.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, Judging from your double post it would appear you didn't come away entirely unscathed Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most of this is not a £10 argument it's contradiction.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My cousin's girlfriend was an excellent skiier (cousin wasn't! just beginning). Died in L2A a few years ago - followed her guide / instructor down through the trees off piste, caught an edge and knocked herself out on a tree. Instructor was too far ahead, didn't look back for ages, took too long to be able to reach her up the slope, by which time she'd suffocated in the snow.

My missus bought a helmet the same year because of that and she's been skiing for 30+ years. I bought one after realising how close the rocks are to the edge of the pistes in Scotland, especially Glencoe.

Even my father in law, a conservative "what do you want one of them for, they're too cold, too bulky and I never fall anyway" relented last year when he caught his skis up in some collapsed orange netting that he just didn't see. Whacked his head hard and was concussed for a good 30 minutes. He's still not sure what happened - lost all that time, even though he was up and about. Bought a helmet the same day.

I've got one of the giro g10 ones with the speakers in the earphones, which is a more comfortable way of having tunes on the slopes anyway, so I'm a convert now too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Funny old thing, haven't ever worn a helmet skiing, but I always do cycling. Not because they are magic hats, just because (a) you don't know when it will make the difference between you and vegetable (b) even if it isn't vegetable stuff, you still don't don't know when it is going to save you pain and inconvenience.

Anecdotaly, there are two occasions when helmets have definitely saved me from injury on the bike, on both occasions in bizarre, unpredictable instances: The first time when I only used to wear one occasionally was when a high wind blew a barrier in front of the bike, stopped it dead and gave me a flying lesson. Did alright on the flying front, need to work on the landing as I used my head. Walked away, though, with limited scrapes and bruises. After that I tend to make certain I wore it. Last time was when I had a failure of handlebars, stacked into a parked car and nutted -and spoiled - the rear spoiler.

So, what are the differences between cycling and skiing? Cycling, I cover probably about 10,000k/p.a. mostly in London. Skiing? maybe 500k. Cycling (at least in London) I don't get much above 30mph, normally found between 15 - 25, skiing? urm...according to my garmin, 60 - 80 mph. Arguably, brakes are better on skis (especially on icy stuff wink ) Take a tumble on a bike it normally hurts, take a tumble on piste, and it normally doesn't....off piste, you take your chance.

But then, the big difference. On a bike, I ride to be in control of any situation, with safety first. That's probably why I haven't had too many traffic related incidents over the years, I hope. Skiing? Often, you just don't have that luxury - you can be standing by the edge of the piste (AND WILL THOSE WHO STOP IN THE MIDDLE PLEASE JUST DON'T !!!! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!) and get taken out. Get to a crowded run, especially a challenging crowded run, and all bets are off. Two years ago I managed to do my knee ligament on the first afternoon in just such circumstance, I know a helmet wouldn't have helped in that instance but the principle is there.

So, I've bought a helmet, I'm going to wear it too. Probably.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apart form any safety aspect, helmets are warm and keep your goggles on better than a hat. If they happen to protect my bonce from a fall then winner winner chicken dinner.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Apart form any safety aspect, helmets are warm and keep your goggles on better than a hat. If they happen to protect my bonce from a fall then winner winner chicken dinner.

EXACTLY. The only argument against is one of appearances. If you think they look naff and value that over the safety then, well, whatever.

Would you make your 4 year old son or daughter wear one? EXACTLY.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fordy11, thats not EXACTLY correct though is it. There are quite a few other arguments against them, as covered in the 100s of other helmet threads on here.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Anyone wearing a ski helmet MUST ski on a minimum waist ski of 98mm

Wooly hat with bobble 68-78mm allowed

Erk. At 81mm, my skis are an illegal width. What headwear am I allowed to use?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cynic, No it isn't
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fordy11,
Quote:

Would you make your 4 year old son or daughter wear one?

That's exactly why I have to wear the bloody thing Mad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fordy11 wrote:

EXACTLY. The only argument against is one of appearances. If you think they look naff and value that over the safety then, well, whatever.

It that's the case, then why don't you wear a full face helmet, which would definitely protect you more?

Obviously not "appearances", in your case. So why would you deliberately increase your risk of serious injury or death? Protecting the back of your head is fine as far as it goes, but it's only half the job.

What precisely are you valuing more than your safety? Once you're done with that, how about explaining why you take the helmet off when you walk to the pub (I'm not joking - why?), or why you don't wear it in your car.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fordy11 wrote:
Quote:

Would you make your 4 year old son or daughter wear one? EXACTLY.

it's the same as people who make "telly tubby" comments about Go Pro's, if they are so vain that they are happy to die and leave grainy footage behind instead of being properly protected by the best kit, and ask "did I land it" in slow motion for all their mates to see, then all power to them.
snow conditions
how about this?

http://youtube.com/v/5I22K6yN2sc
latest report
Really sensible for wearing his helmet.....complete idiot for trying to ski that chute
latest report
jirac18 wrote:
Really sensible for wearing his helmet.....complete idiot for trying to ski that chute

when I first saw the video still I thought it was going to be a conoeing video!

and no mate, you didn't land it!
snow conditions
Quote:

when I first saw the video still I thought it was going to be a conoeing video!

+1
snow report
20 year old killed today in Orelle (not a Brit) having hit a rock just off a blue run - initial report suggests no helmet and speed a factor. Make of it what you want.
latest report
It should be made a legal requirement to wear one, just like it is when you ride a motorbike. Hitting the ground with your head at 30 miles an hour is not pleasant, why anyone thinks it is cool not to wear one is an idiot.
ski holidays
jirac18 wrote:
Complete idiot for trying to ski that chute

Why in particular? He got a bit unlucky?
snow report
I wear a helmet when skiing but i don't think it should be a legal requirement.

Do any insurance companies give discounts to helmet wearers?

None of the insurance companies i've had quotes from asked whether i wear a helmet when skiing.
snow conditions
rich.ll, probably no discount as cheaper to recover a dead body than repatriate and fix a live one.
snow report
Quote:

Do any insurance companies give discounts to helmet wearers?

One makes it compulsory: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/9656051/Ski-helmets-made-mandatory-by-travel-insurer.html
snow report
Laurance wrote:
Hitting the ground with your head at 30 miles an hour is not pleasant...
so unpleasant, in fact, that it pretty-much makes no difference if you are or aren't wearing one. Average skier speed is in excess of the speed required to kill you with or without helmet. They definitely help in the case of glancing blows or protecting from cuts and light knocks but a much much better idea is to avoid hitting your head. Some people who bought helmets would still be alive if they'd invested the same money on their technique.
snow report
+1 Bode Swiller,
ski holidays
Quote:

Average skier speed is in excess of the speed required to kill you with or without helmet.

Average skier speed is, but the effective impact speed is almost always going to be much lower.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
finestgreen, excellent, just be a vegetable and not dead then. Whichever ways you cut it, hitting your bonce is a bad idea. Helmet is a false-security fashion item or Go-Pro carrier most of the time.
snow report
Bode Swiller, shrug. On one side is your intuition, on the other side is the balance of the evidence.
ski holidays
finestgreen wrote:
Bode Swiller, shrug. On one side is your intuition, on the other side is the profit margin

fify

but I agree with Bode Swiller, better to live fast 'n' die beautiful, than be a drain on society
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, but the much more prevalent and equally unpleasynt glancing blow at slow speed on a tree, un unlucky rock, or by dint of a lady's front bottom skiing into is, I submit, a little different?
latest report
Here's a question. Do people wear helmets to do multi-day tours? If not, why not? I can see the disadvantages of the extra weight/sweaty head, but as not wearing one is apparently almost certain death, why wouldn't you wear one for the rocky/glaciery downhill bits? Or does a sweaty head outweigh the almost certain death (in terrain which is probably more perilous than the average blue run)?
snow report
finestgreen wrote:
Bode Swiller, shrug. On one side is your intuition, on the other side is the balance of the evidence.
Please present this "balance of the evidence" then. You'd be the first to be able to.
snow conditions
New for 2013:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31603954@N05/6245680565/lightbox/
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Bode Swiller, but the much more prevalent and equally unpleasynt glancing blow at slow speed on a tree, un unlucky rock, or by dint of a lady's front bottom skiing into is, I submit, a little different?
I agree it is a little different and more protection is bound to be better than none but ANY kind of head contact with a tree is a bad idea so the key issue is not to put yourself in that position in the first place. If the industry talked more about mountaincraft and technique then we wouldn't be debating helmets at all.
latest report
helmets are a lot better than hats for listening to music, especially when going real fast
latest report
Quote:

Please present this "balance of the evidence" then. You'd be the first to be able to.

Well, I wouldn't be, but here's some again.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/02February/Pages/head-injury-protection-ski-helmet.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23117389

If the downsides were bigger than a negligible investment and an occasional itchy head then I might need more definitive evidence, but as things are I think it's obvious what the sensible choice is.
snow report
Bode Swiller, so you are suggesting it's just better not to ski Puzzled
ski holidays
Whitters wrote:
Go Commando or be a Helmet Nazi???:

So what protection is required if you ski in a kilt? Or do you go commando?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy