Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airbag - to buy or not to buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So mrs d has been flicking through my copy of Fall Line and she thinks it would be a good idea if I bought an avalanche airbag - to add to the transceiver, probe & shovel I already have. I guess it’s good to know she doesn’t want to claim on my life insurance just yet, and it’s not often that I get permission to go spend more than £600 on ski kit, but I still need some convincing about the purchase.

All my skiing these days is off piste (I’m off to La Grave in March), but I’m almost never without a guide, and I don’t get more than three weeks in a year. Does my risk exposure justify an airbag? Or do I just go for it anyway as I have authorisation from my financial controller?

Before you ask, I have read all the other airbag posts on here, but I’d still like to know what you guys think I should do.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're being given permission to buy a skiing related piece of kit and you're having to come here and ask the question???

srsly tho... Why not. The only reason I can think of not to buy one is normally expense. Anything that's going to help survival rates should the worst happen can only be a good thing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
duncan, You know the answer..... its now all about what to get! I'm sure that a few SH's will be along shortly. I only know ABS, had a 5L Freeride model and sold that for a slightly larger Powder 15L model c/w carbon canister for this season, for a day sack thats all I need. Tempted by the Vario but its heavier and larger and I dont need the additional storage space. Was messing about putting all my gear in it yesterday, sad that I am, cant wait for the snow now. Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
duncan,

An airbag or Guide does not make you invincible and Airbags are pretty heavy (which can affect your skiing).

I take it you have read this thread. Whereas the skiers were all equipped and experienced only one of the skiers caught up in the avalanche survived and she puts it down to her airbag.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93615

3 Weeks a year offpiste in places like La Grave - I'd say it's a good investment.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

All my skiing these days is off piste (I’m off to La Grave in March), but I’m almost never without a guide, and I don’t get more than three weeks in a year. Does my risk exposure justify an airbag? Or do I just go for it anyway as I have authorisation from my financial controller?

Buy the airbag. If you ski long enough in avi terrain then something bad will eventually happen. It makes sense to stack the odds in your favour as much as you can. Gear is a part of that. The only thing to watch out for is whether it affects your decision making. If you start thinking "it'll be alright, I've got the bag" then there are problems. There is no real practical downside to skiing with one.

I have a pet theory that La Grave is likely to see fewer avi deaths, all things being equal, than other comparable ski areas. I suspect everything getting tracked flat makes Vallons safer than say, the north Face of the Bellecote (similar aspect and vertical drop) which sees much less traffic. All the big accidents recently have been falls and, other than Vertigo's little mishap last year I can't think of a major avi incident. That said, I did get carried off my feet by a small slab there a few years ago and have seen big serac falls in the zone interdit but then its called "zone interdit" for a reason.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy