Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercises to improve carving (serious now....)

Poster: A snowHead
spyderjon, yep, as I said above, that's pretty much exactly what I worked out last night - the difference over what I was was trying to do previously being that I was now thinking about pointing the knee forward into the turn rather than just out (as in the "hand on the inside of the knee" exercise).

The point about pressuring the inside ski was that if you were consciously trying to stop the inside ski advancing you'd have to pull your foot back, and so increase the flex of the inside boot, which you could only do by pressuring the front of the ski more.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN wrote:
spyderjon.....The point about pressuring the inside ski was that if you were consciously trying to stop the inside ski advancing you'd have to pull your foot back, and so increase the flex of the inside boot, which you could only do by pressuring the front of the ski more.

Ah, sorry. I see what you mean. Just had a quick look through my Ron LeMaster book & his website. Plenty of great carving pics of WC racers with an advanced inside ski so I'm assuming that it mustn't be a problem.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GrahamN wrote:
The point about pressuring the inside ski was that if you were consciously trying to stop the inside ski advancing you'd have to pull your foot back,

Try thinking of it as 'hip back'. This of course gives you the other way of thinking about it: 'outside hip forward'

Quote:
and so increase the flex of the inside boot

Yes

Quote:
which you could only do by pressuring the front of the ski more.

if you then extend this to mean 'the inside ski has to carve a tighter arc', well, umm, yes.

I was troubled by your previous comment about 'grip' because if you need that large a balance shift to flex the boot, then maybe softer boots are in order?
There is also something in your writing that would make me look twice at your front-to-back balance in the boot; I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is definitely an implication that boot flex puts your weight forward.

spyderjon, it isn't a problem for them because they have more than one method of turn release sorted.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, Are you saying that advancing the inside ski (or as you say, trailing the outside hip) is not a good thing?

I was of the belief that some slight 'counter rotation' of the hips (ie towards to the line) was a good thing which is of course what you're doing if you're outside hip is trailing slightly?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, I learned it not as a 'good thing' or a 'bad thing' but rather as an indicator of what sort of turn I wish to make. If I'm doing short, deep turns, on steep terrain, in the fall line, then I don't care about inside lead.

The other side of the coin is those effortless enormous arcs on 193cm GS skis when the whole body is just riding along, and where inside lead makes it that much harder to transition to the next turn without hop or unweight. I hate having my reverie interrupted by pesky hop-hop.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, Yep, I follow that. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex wrote:
I was troubled by your previous comment about 'grip' because if you need that large a balance shift to flex the boot, then maybe softer boots are in order?
The balance shift is to get the ski edge to hold, rather than get boot flex - but it's quite probable that my view here is skewed by having spent the last 6 months trying to get grip out of blunt skis on Dendix. The boots should be OK - they're fairly old Salomon Performa 9.0 Carves. I'm quite sure that there are plenty of faults in my technique any trainer would have a field-day with, but at least I can see regular noticeable improvements - and in this case I was just pointing out a mental hook that seemed to work for me (and it would appear for the Blessed Warren too).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon,

"counter-rotation" vs being "square" to the turn is one of those things that is a matter of opinion depending on who you speak to, and goes in and out of fashion. Counter-rotation is the older technique, then a few years back with the advent of carving skis some instructors were encouraging people to ski more "square". Now they're back to counter-rotation. There's no right or wrong way of skiing, only more efficient ways. So learn to do both to have in your "toolbox", then you can adapt according to the circumstances, as comprex said.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1, I was with Warren on Fri night at Xscape & asked him the same question & got your answer. That must also then make you a skiing god (sorry, goddess). From now on I will be forever in your tracks wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, if I happen to feel athletic, and if I happen to have been caught out with soft, fat pow skis on umm, less soft surface, there's a really fun little rumba I like to do:

Start the top of the C by using muscle to exaggerate inside lead very early with the hip whilst edging as with a usual turn. Then, when the outside tip engages the snow to take you 'round, snap the hips the other way so that they're square (to travel direction and skis) in the middle, then finish the bottom of the C with exaggerated -outside- lead.

AKA how to make 90mm wide Volant Chubbs ski 10m turns in an ice chute. Takes a fair bit of angulation and muscle work, but can be heaps of fun and very stable in choppy conditions. If easiski or beanie1 know a formal name for this, I haven't heard it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, That's a brave move to do for the first time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
this is all to complicated, hire a good carving instructer 1 to 1 and just follow and try and copy his movements etc
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex wrote:
If easiski or beanie1 know a formal name for this, I haven't heard it.

I think it's called the Hokey Cokey.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blush

Still trying to puzzle out the hip positions in some of the old 'downstem' threads.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I couldn't get the hang of carving on skis, so I spent a day on snowblades which carve without any real effort to get the feel of it and was then able to translate that to skis. Don't know if any instructors on here think this is a valid learning technique!
latest report
MelEllis,

Yes, it's a good way to get people used to what carving feels like.
ski holidays
spyderjon,
Quote:
Then, when the outside tip engages the snow to take you 'round, snap the hips the other way so that they're square (to travel direction and skis) in the middle, then finish the bottom of the C with exaggerated -outside- lead.

Is it Waisteering? Shocked On Chubbs? Shocked Shocked I really don't want to read all through that thread.

I had a schematic of my ski position through this move some time ago, should dig that up.
snow conditions
hi guys - like you I'm working on my carving skills - bit lengthy - but here's a wee doc I put together on things I've cribbed from our friends at Epic + other sources. Bit anoraky but I read this + look at video playback of myself prior and after practice sessions - happy ready, dave
DG’ Development – GS & SL Turns

Skis

Same edge angle, distance constant, clean tracks throughout turn
No a-frame

Body

Zero upper body rotation to initiate turn
Keep hands still – no punching hands in pole plant

DG’s Racing Tips

Doing a lot of railroad tracks on gentle terrain, moving edge to edge, making continuous linked arcs without skidding. Turn a lot (cleanly) and use the whole trail from edge to edge.

For drills to work on I'd suggest placing heavy focus on those that enhance lateral balance. Sounds like this may be an area that needs improving.

Try these:
On easy to moderate terrain do some two footed rail turns in which you focus on a smooth, progressive roll onto the new edges during the transition. Develop a very sensitive feel of the transition roll. Feel the skis slowly lose edge angle, go flat, and then gradually gain edge angle on the other side. You should know exactly where you are in the cycle at any point in time.

At first keep your maximum edge angles small, your turn radius large, and make your transitions on a moderate angle to the falline. When you feel the clean, progressive roll happening you can sharpen the turns a bit, continue rolling up to somewhat larger edge angles, and increase your angle to the falline at the transition. Do these while still feeling the smooth roll and clean carve initiation.

Slalom turns do take patience and timing even though they are of short duration. Tipping the skis more with your ankles and less knee angulation will help the A-frame and get you better edge engagement and being patient can help the diverenge. Also keep the tips of your skis equally engaged by flexing both ankles, a lazy inside foot will not track the same as the outside foot.

Its easy to rush things in a short radius turn and end up rotating a bit into the turn. This results in moving the CM inside to quickly forcing the inside hip down and back. The results are ending up with to much weight on the inside ski at the top of the turn, a wedge entry, divergence and hanging onto the turn to long.

If the shoulders are parallel to the slope (the way you want it to be), you have angulation. Depending on speed/ability/terrain/etc. you may angulate with your knees, hips or mid. Keeping your shoulders square and actually driving your outside shoulder down is the key to a powerful carve.

Think about leading into the turn with the inside knee - by consciously pointing it and my thigh in the direction I wanted to go. This a) got the inside ski onto its edge much more happily, b) advanced it in front of my outside leg and c) got the shortened inside leg - all quite naturally together.

....the inside ski is where the ACTIVITY is and the outside ski is where the ACTION is. i hope that doesn't muddy the water.

i'll give you two ACTIVITIES that may translate into a sense of what i'm talking about.

1. Stand on a slope and get rid of your poles for a moment. if your uphill foot is in this case the left foot, focus only on the left boot. attempt to slowly tip your left boot until the buckles nearly touch the snow. forget about your right leg. as you do this allow yourself to become grossly bow legged. it is just a drill to exagerate the movement and to create a little muscle memory. have the movement originate in the foot via INVERSION. don't drive the knee, or angulate at the hip, or shift weight. eventually feel as though your left knee is being drawn to the snow as movement moves up the kinetic chain now, stand back up, grab your poles and slowly ski across the slope on a gentle traverse going to the left and again tip your left foot. forget about your right foot. it will mimic the left foot and be drawn into the movement. the goal is for movement to originate with the inside foot and to involve it as opposed to movement merely involving the outside leg.

Upper body angulation – imagine sliding down the hill sideways on a bar tray. You could even have a bar tray to carry down the hill – stop the drinks from spilling.

Imagine your feet are round and you have to keep rolling them from side to side!

consistent fore/aft neutral balance.
> consistent lateral balance
> a gently rolled initiation, and progressive edge angle development.
> body movements that impose NO twisting/steering influence on the skis.
> a loose, reactive lower body that regulates pressure on the snow so it remains consistent over undulating terrain.
> a smooth release of the arc that allows the process to repeat in the next turn.
ski holidays
ive come to the conclusion no matter what i read on here I will have forgetten all of it by the time i reach a slope....

and....

youve just got to get out there and ski !
snow report
spyderjon, What is A framing please ?
ski holidays
beanie1, spyderjon, GrahamN, What is wrong with this technique...

move the knees left to go left, right to go right, keep legs apart for stability and keep low so as balance is easier.

I'm quite new to this but it seems to work.
ski holidays
mike.healy, I believe it is when your knees are closer together than your feet. The correct stance or position is with calves parelell or 'O' framed as Warren Smith kept trying to drum into me.
snow report
mike.healy, I can buy most of that, but I'm not so sure about the "keep low" part. You should be able to flex deeply (all joints) and stand up tall as well. Also, I think less about the knees and more about the feet and/or the femurs, since knees only bend in the fore/aft direction.

The idea, though, is to keep the leg shafts (relatively) parallel. To do this, I suggest thinking about moving the new inside foot/ski/leg first (just a bit before the other). This gets it moving and out of the way of the other foot/ski/leg, which is what you want.
latest report
justapurrin, ssh, beanie1, spyderjon, GrahamN, Warren Smith's no 1 DVD arrrived on Friday so the picture's getting clearer. I think a lot of it with me is gaining confidence, at the moment I will happily go down any slope on which I think I could come to a controlled stop. I wonder if that applies to all skiers, can those going fast on steep Black runs stop if they have to ?
snow report
mike.healy, of course. Just bump a tree or rock... Shocked snowHead

Actually, in general, it's not necessarily stop, but avoid. Turning uphill is a good trick, as well. In soft snow, a simple dive into the snow can do wonders.

Usually, even at high speed, I can avoid skiers and other things below me, make rapid direction changes (a knee wiggle works wonders on carving skis!), and generally keep myself (and others! Twisted Evil ) out of trouble. Hope this helps...
snow conditions
ssh, wrt 'keep low': what are your thoughts on the drill of: hold both ski poles like a french fencing grip then trace both tips on the snow, without letting the downhill ski pole lose contact with the snow.
snow report
comprex, that's a very good drill, as is just doing a double pole drag (normal grip). It keeps your upper body at the right angle to the slope, and gives tactical feedback when you aren't aligned well. Most of the racers I know do this often, especially early in the season.
snow report
ssh, I had a very enlightening conversation last year regarding angulation and weight distribution. We can leave the later till elsetime. I was most surprised to hear that my angulation has slipped and it was suggested I play with keeping downhill pole on slope through turn.

Massive difference in performance and my personal happiness...

Good drill IMPE
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are hacking..and I mean as fast as your dare, down a fast run, then I think a low stance is very good...in fact almost a prerequiste... and it keeps the hands in the right position.

If you standing up then you aren't going the fastest you can
IMO... and thats ok if thats what you are trying to do
snow conditions
The instructor I had last week suggested something that seemed illogical to me at first but worked a treat. Carry out a series of parallel turns but at the point of turn initiation, compress instead of extend and simultaneously roll the skis onto the opposite edges and drive the new inside foot forward in a kind of rolling/scooping motion. As long as not too much edge angle is applied, the skis will skid round without ever becoming unweighted. This can be applied to a carving turn, just with more edge angle and it means both skis are fully compressed throughout the entire carve. The great thing is that you can practice this at slow speeds quite happily. it worked for me, anyway Very Happy
latest report
Sharkymark, I think you have just summed up why there is so little written word on ski instruction wink
snow report
Sharkymark, interesting description.

The first thing I noticed was that I am already compressed at turn initiation: it is part of being ready to pole plant at the finish of the last turn.

That rolling/scooping seems to correspond to what I think of as edged forward pressure (on the inside ski in this instance). Can't say for sure as I don't know what is happening at the hip.

Maybe my technique is off, but I seem to get cleaner angulation if I extend during the belly of the turn. (To compress again at turn finish, ready to pole plant).
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I could've done it in one sentence Very Happy

comprex, I guess you have to extend somewhere otherwise at the bottom of the hill you'd be sitting on the skis!
ski holidays
Sharkymark, it becomes a question of timing the compression then (I like it as previous turn finish)? And extending into angulation?
latest report
That sounds about right. I think the idea is to keep both skis loaded throughout the turn rather than unweighting and leaving nasty smears on the snow...
ski holidays
Sharkymark, have a look at the Ted Ligety interview here.
snow conditions
Everything progressive. Everything. Tipping, angles, pressure, everything!!! Nothing sudden, drastic, or otherwise irregular.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy