Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PSB 2012 Tignes Ski Test Booking

Poster: A snowHead
PSB Ski Test booking details, I will update if you add you preferences below:

SundayMonday
09:30-11:3011:45-13:4514:00-16:0009:30-11:3011:45-13:4514:00-16:00

Whitedot Preacher 169
Lechbob Kevin Stephens

Whitedot Preacher 179
JayanatorDouble Bombardino f948lan Gaz C

Whitedot Director 188
fabricem

Whitedot Redeemer 190

Whitedot One 166

Whitedot One 173
mogulphobic

Whitedot One 180
andy

Movement Super Turbo 192

Movement Trust 186
DoubleBombardino Jayanator fabricem

Movement Buzz 185
Gaz C Lechbob mogulphobic

Movement Jam ER 182
codyaitch f948lan andy

Movement Flyswatter 185

Movement Gloss 155
little ms spock

Movement Tattoo 159
little ms spock

Liberty Double Helix 190

Liberty Variant 186

WHITEDOT
Preacher 169, 179 Fat All mountain traditional shaped ski 155 x 112 x 133
Director 188 Fatish Rocker All mountain Ski 117-121/107/111-107
Redeemer 190 FAT Rocker Off Piste Ski super charger for powder 138-142/128/132-128
One 166, 173, 180 All Mountain Freestyle Park Piste Ski 119 – 89 – 113

MOVEMENT
Super Turbo 192 Rocker Tip Small camber underfoot, tail not rocker more twin tip style 144-115-129 The bench mark for off piste big mountain freeride
Movement Trust 186 Rocker tip traditional underfoot flat tail 141 x 109 x 129 Fast charging off piste ski that can turn easy plus kill pistes
Movement Buzz 185 Rocker tip flat tail, smaller version of the Trust 132-99-120 Excellent both on and off piste and for touring
Movement Jam ER 182 Early rise tip, not a rocker ! All mountain ski that handles off piste and piste really well, 136-85-117
Movement Flyswatter if we get a meter plus of Powder I am on these ! 150 x 125 x145 super rocker tip and tail, best fun ski on the market today
Movement Tattoo 159 All mountain ladies ski off piste on piste no problem, 133-94-119
If you are looking at other Movement Skis to test I need to know before Monday!
Liberty
New for Snowshepherd, so I am testing these myself as well:
Double Helix 190 150-121-140 mm big FAT ski tip rocker off piste beast but should be great piste charger as well.
Variant 186 Fat ski with tip rocker and a flat tail, 145-113-132 mm sounds really promising as a slightly larger version of the Movement Trust.

I am planning a much more relaxed ski test than last year, especially if the weather is as good/bad as the forecasts suggest, I am around all week, but the official test days are Sunday and Monday.

So the plan is, you can book the skis for the morning or the afternoon for 2 hour sessions , PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have your boot sole length written down or remember it, (PS that's not the size of your boot)

If you hate the skis after the first run, then you can bring them straight back to me, 3/4 hour window, otherwise your on them for the full session, this way I can get some runs in as well.

After the test, skis will still be available, please discuss with me what you would like to try, again this will be on a daily basis or maybe half day on some models. If its POW POW POW then a beer or two might convince me to let you use the super fat stuff.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 28-11-12 8:44; edited 22 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitedot Preacher 179 for me please. Monday 9:30 - 11:30

Also maybe the Movement Buzz 185, but I don't want to be greedy and tie up too many options, so maybe if there is free time in the week.

Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitedot Preacher 179 - Sunday 2pm. Please snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitedot Preacher 169 - Sunday 2pm. Please
Movement Buzz 185 - Monday 9:30 PLease Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lechbob, sorted, hope this rather basic chart works, all help accepted please admin !!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
livetoski, Thankyou. I am a little intimidated by the length of the skis. Maybe I should be skiing something longer as I am getting heavier lightweight but am nursing a knee injury. I would like a dabble with a rocker but have no idea what their effective length is or how much they weigh & how easy they are to manoeuvre. I'll seek your advice when we meet.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Livetoski - Movement Jam ER 182 - Sunday - 2pm to 4pm please
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
livetoski How's this for starters? I booked myself a couple of slots on Sunday Smile

[edited to remove table, as it's now at the top of the thread]

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 23-11-12 9:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd like to try something fatter then my 158 Scott Missions (being a shortarse), but the shortest you have Preacher 169s probably too long for me. Is there a possibility of getting some short and fat skis?
Thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Prolly want this in snowEvents - no one gets to wear a man badge who doesn't try the Superturbos (yeah I know that's the girlie length;-))
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can I get a slot for the Whitedot Preachers? Not fussy on time, am there all week, but if poss would like to try both sizes, one after the other - interested to understand what size I feel better on.
And also interested to try the Whitedot One 173 too.
Ta very much!

EDIT: Just seen the lesson timetable - I'm booked for Sunday afternoon, so need to avoid that for the ski test. Thinking Monday would be best for me to test, so I have a day to warm up on familiar kit first.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 22-11-12 23:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski, I'd love to try some off-piste skis. Only trouble is, I haven't the foggiest what would suit. I'm a keen/aggressive intermediate who's happy on any piste (so far). I'm 1.79m and 86kg and ski Fischer AMC76s (170cm). I have skied a couple of itineraries in St. Anton and Monterosa but not with any style or finesse. I tend to get by on a cocktail of leg strength, fitness and 'bottle'. Happy to take whatever's left over, provided you think it's suitable. Thank you.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kevin Stephens wrote:
I'd like to try something fatter then my 158 Scott Missions (being a shortarse), but the shortest you have Preacher 169s probably too long for me. Is there a possibility of getting some short and fat skis?
Thanks

Flyswatters ski very short Toofy Grin and they're pretty wide Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little ms spock, Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kevin Stephens, The Whitedot Preacher in a 169 skis very short, its a bit of a girl option but your welcome to try it, the Whitedot skis have a different flex pattern for each length, so the 169 is pretty soft and the 189 (which I have not got) is actually quite stiff, in fairness due to the difference in flex pattern they are actually totally different skis, if this makes sense.

fatbob, Lets see if I can find a pair of 202 cm Super Turbo for you Toofy Grin

f948lan, Done your on for Monday first session, if you want to change let me know

Gaz C, Again look at the 179 Preacher or the Movement Buzz, you should find that a ski with some rocker makes it much easier off piste and also on piste ski alot shorter than they really are.

anarchicsaltire, The flyswatters ski very short, if the conditions are right they really come into their own, and if theconditions are right hands off I am on them all day Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
livetoski, Thanks. Could I also get the Preacher 169s for the second slot to compare how the lengths work for me (I'm 5'8", 75kg)? Or from your comment above do you think that's too small for me?

And if it's not too greedy would like to try something else too (maybe slot 3 Monday?) - having been on the same skis for a few seasons I feel some variety will help the comparison? Looking at the Whitedot One's, but mainly as everything else is so long (and I've never tried a freestyle ski). But if you think something else would suit me better I'm open to suggestions.

To give you an idea what I'm after, I'm happy skiing anything marked and like to challenge myself. I'm increasingly experimenting off piste (but need to work on my technique and confidence, particularly on steeper powder) - so ideally something 'all mountain' I guess.

Thank you kindly!
snow report
f948lan, To be fair the Preacher in 169 will be too small and prob too soft for you at your height and weight, the effective edge on the Preacher 169's is only 149 with a turn radius of 14 m I would recommend the Jams as these are a great all mountain ski with enough tip to handle off piste as well, but you don't have the 112 underfoot like the Preachers they are only 85 so very good on piste.
ski holidays
f948lan, looking at what you are after, you might still want to try those 169. I am 5'10 and 80kg (so much bigger) on 179 and they are good for me, never soft or whatever. A little shorter means easier to turn giving more confidence and the Preachers offer enough float anyway with those huge shovels and 112 underfoot. You still might find them too soft but you can only say that after you've felt it.
ski holidays
skiester, Understood and thanks for the advice.

livetoski,Can you put me down for the Jams in slot to on Monday please.
latest report
livetoski, I appear to be down for the Sunday 9:30 although I originally said Monday 9:30. After reading the thread and seeing f948lan's, lesson conflict, I am happy to concede the Monday morning spot, although could I change from the Sundayt 9:30 to the Sunday 11:45 slot so I have a bit of time to get some runs in on my Punishers before comparing to the Preachers?

Thanks Very Happy
snow report
Jayanator, that was probably my mistake when setting up the table (sorry livetoski). Thanks for being so understanding.
ski holidays
little ms spock, No worries. Just trying to decide on another pair to test. Bit dubious of the longer and fatter ski's. The movement trust looks doable, although I would have preferred it in 178 length.

Hmmm decisions, decisions. Puzzled
ski holidays
little ms spock, whoops I missed that too, first round of drinks on you then Toofy Grin

Jayanator, The Trust has a 30 cm tip rocker so they ski really short, plus more important they are the best IMHO ski graphic I have ever had the pleasure to ride Very Happy
snow report
livetoski, In that case, can I try the Trust after the Preacher? So Preacher at 11:45 and Trust at 14:00 on the Sunday?

Thank you. Very Happy
ski holidays
These seem like a right religious lot of skis!

http://youtube.com/v/dp4339EbVn8
latest report
livetoski, could I add in Sunday 11.45-13.45 the Movement Trust 186s please.
snow conditions
Movement Trust "follow the bear"!

snow conditions
livetoski wrote:
Kevin Stephens, The Whitedot Preacher in a 169 skis very short, its a bit of a girl option but your welcome to try it, the Whitedot skis have a different flex pattern for each length, so the 169 is pretty soft and the 189 (which I have not got) is actually quite stiff, in fairness due to the difference in flex pattern they are actually totally different skis, if this makes sense.

Great, can I try the 169 Preechers from 2:00 pm on Monday? Appreciate your girly comments Embarassed but the 169s will still be 6cm longer than me (I weigh 145lb) Alternatively let me know if you have an alternative suggestion to introduce me to fat skis (My Missions are 84 under foot). Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Movement Buzz 11:45, Sunday, please. Trying to work another test around what's suitable and available and my lesson times. I'll get back to you when I've worked it out. Thank you.

Right, got it! (I think.) 179 Preachers 9:30, Monday. Thanks again.
ski holidays
Gaz C, the 179 Preachers where already taken for the Monday 9.30 slot have put you in the 11.45 if this is OK?
snow report
Hi livetoski,

Monday 0930-1130 - Whitedot One 173
Monday 1145-1345 - Movement Buzz 185

Please.

I'm not sure if I've got this rocker thing worked out - my current (and 10yr old) skis are 177s - do the rockers ski 'shorter' than their actual length? I'm 5'10" and trying very hard not to reach three figures in kilograms...

Thanks!
snow conditions
livetoski, Sorry to mess you about. Maybe we could swap my selections about then f948lan & I could compare the 169 & 179
Whitedot Preachers on the Monday morning session ?
But I am totally flexible as I have no idea which ski will suit.
ski holidays
livetoski, Got a group lesson 12:30-14:30 on Monday. Could possibly do the last hour of the 14:00-16:00 slot if that doesn't bug up your afternoon. If it does, couuld you suggest an alternative ski for me to try in the 9:30 slot? Cheers, Gaz.
latest report
livetoski, can I switch my Sunday 11:45 booking to Monday at 14:00, please?
P.S. I'm tempted to have a play with some of the totally inappropriate skis (for my weight, height, skiing ability), is that very wrong?
latest report
little ms spock,
Quote:

P.S. I'm tempted to have a play with some of the totally inappropriate skis (for my weight, height, skiing ability), is that very wrong?

Not really you can play on any skis, if the lift is open on the short slope the TSD Bollin I think, then there is a short easy slope to play on any skis and if you don't like them or they are just to difficult its easy to swap back?

Try something really mad like the Flyswatters they are really easy to ski the contact length on piste is only about 1.2m on a 185 ski Shocked Shocked

I really hope the Bollin lift is open then it gives us the chance to mess around on a short little run very close to where we are running the test from it will be a really good comparison on lots of the skis to ski the same easy run where you can think about the ski rather than thinking about the slope that your skiing.
snow report
livetoski wrote:

I really hope the Bollin lift is open then it gives us the chance to mess around on a short little run very close to where we are running the test from it will be a really good comparison on lots of the skis to ski the same easy run where you can think about the ski rather than thinking about the slope that your skiing.

That's what I thought actually. So long as I'm not committed to taking a ski on a long run I'll try anything. I was really impressed by the Mozzies last year (although that was in the very limited confines of a snow dome). The practicalities of carrying skis that are substantially longer than I am tall would put me off owning a pair but they were a joy to ski.

Oh, and where exactly are you going to be running this from? I'm busy making my lists of where I need to be when this morning.
latest report
little ms spock,
Quote:

Oh, and where exactly are you going to be running this from?

Its TBC but hopefully my post over in the PSB thread is correct Toofy Grin "THE BAR"
ski holidays
livetoski, made this topic "Sticky" for you. As per main thread, I'd like to try the Jams at some point. Probably best if I take them for a day/half-day after the main test due to my lesson duties, but if I can fit in one of the free slots on Sunday/Monday, I will.

Will there be a tent at the bottom of les Lanches chair again?
latest report
livetoski, and in view of the post above, will it be containing sponsored beer? wink
snow conditions
TallTone, Thanks my friend for the sticky your welcome to try the Jams as you say you will be better off doing a half day or a day after the main test days, the skis will be back at the Hotel then.

On a Bollin lift note it looks like it is running today on the webcams?

The "tent" come my Argos Special Pop up gazebo will be popping up as close to the bar as possible, admin is trying to work his magic, we are hoping to be close to the Bollin lift and the Lanches chair its just that that area only gets about 3 1/2 hours of sun a day and if its as cold as they say its going to be then Skullie
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy