Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF Flashmob London - Must Be Stopped (and it was!)

Poster: A snowHead
Boris wrote:
And yes they do pay for it Toofy Grin

I don't think grief counts Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
The Euro test etc.

The Euro Test is protectionist shite pure and simple and has absolutely zero to do with ones ability to be a decent teacher.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Winterhighland, hope you've got yer tin hat on after making a remark like that! wink Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wayne wrote:

I'm not saying that there may not be one or two that are not too bad at skiing, but this simply doesn’t qualify them to guide/lead/etc. But if they were as good as they were meant to be (and many of them think they are) then, if they really want to guide people around the slopes, why don’t they spend a few years getting trained and certified (by BASI, ENSA, etc) after which they can go back to acting like the pied piper, if they want.
At least their clients will be able to have at least a modicum of confidence in their abilities.

Dead simple

You're joking right? I just need pointing in the right direction, to make efficient use of my short holiday, to save me and my fellow chalet guests having to get the piste map out at every junction /lift. It could equally be a local expert, a gnarly ski instructor, or a spotty teenager on a gap year as long as they have a grasp of the resort and lift system to get me going for the first couple of days...

Do you seriously think we would continue to book chalets with guiding if we didn't think it was useful? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Winterhighland wrote:
The Euro Test is protectionist shite pure and simple and has absolutely zero to do with ones ability to be a decent teacher.

Now Alan don't pussyfoot around the issue, just tell us what you really think Wink
Pedantica wrote:
Winterhighland, hope you've got yer tin hat on after making a remark like that! wink Laughing

Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skir67 wrote:
Any sign of the ESF in London?

Yes, of course. The most recent sign I could find was from 2004, with our old friend Gerry Adams in town to promote French ski instruction and Irish cheeses at the ESF.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ WORST. SONNY. CHER. TRIBUTE. ACT. EVER.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ESF FLASHMOB FINALLY ARRIVES IN LONDON [MAIL ONLINE EXCLUSIVE]

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/23/article-2237402-162DFAA2000005DC-131_634x947.jpg

Story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2237402/Whitehall-closed-police-try-coax-naked-man-straddling-statue.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Comedy Goldsmith, is it... no it can't be... surely not... whatever was he thinking... Admin?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rather than hold up the traffic for 3 hrs, I wonder why they didn't just pretend he was a blind sword (it was a white stick) wielding pensioner and taser him off the horse, or better still pretend he had a bad irish accent with a table leg in a bag and shoot him?

Where did he have the knife hidden?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DM wrote:
At one point he balanced acrobatically - with his arms out stretched - upon the Duke's feathered plume, before sitting on his head

I see someone at the DM exercised some editorial license - that looks suspiciously like a helmet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is rare for me to do a proper Laugh Out Loud. Comedy Goldsmith, however, just precipitated one.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I still want to know what the Flashmob would have done. Synchronised shrugging whilst smoking a fag? Paying attention to only the pretty girls? Clouting crying children?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lenny Law, y'know I was once introduced to an ESF instructor (an older, and quite scary, woman) who was banned from teaching kids because she kicked them! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swiss mob currently flashing at St Pancras!!

Well, 3 Swiss ski instructors are standing next to a block of ice, handing out promotional codes. Had a nice snowy chat with one of them snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
cathy, did you check their qualifications for leafleting? We allow Swiss Association of Leafleteers Grade 6 or above. Anything less is arrestable.
ski holidays
Get down there and learn how to ski ice, Swiller
latest report
BBC Radio 4 is about to run a report on the ESF/UK ski fisticuffs, focusing on Val d'Isere: PM programme now
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith, Thanks for the heads up
snow report
A notable absence of any SCGB spokesman on that report!
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
A notable absence of any SCGB spokesman on that report!

I've missed it can you give a summary ?
snow conditions
Pedantica, well I guess its because they're not the ones being prosecuted?
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, nothing new, just reporting the pending court case against Le Ski, interviewing a French instructor (party line about safety) and a few Le Ski clients in Val d'Isere, plus a guy whose name I didn't catch, but who runs a website (maybe the PlanetSki owner?) saying that a ruling against Le Ski would drive TOs and punters away from France altogether. Maybe it was on because a BBC reporter (Emma Jane Kirby, she's based in Paris I think) happened to be skiing in Val d'Isere.

On the rocks, yes, but don't they purport to represent British skiing?
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader wrote:

British man: all British skiers will desert France completely and ski in Austria/Switzerland/Italy if France bans British chalet ski hosting blah blah blah

French man: you would not buy a cheese in France that has not got an official stamp of approval and knowing it had been made properly, so why would you pay for chalet services that include an unqualified ski guide blah blah blah.

Rubbish feature.
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:

[b]On the rocks
, yes, but don't they purport to represent British skiing?

Nope! well not accoding the the website or my membership stuff. I guess things have moved on in the last 10 years? (unlike CG)
snow conditions
miranda wrote:
Dwarf Vader wrote:

British man: all British skiers will desert France completely and ski in Austria/Switzerland/Italy if France bans British chalet ski hosting blah blah blah

French man: you would not buy a cheese in France that has not got an official stamp of approval and knowing it had been made properly, so why would you pay for chalet services that include an unqualified ski guide blah blah blah.

Rubbish feature.

So it is summed up as:

British man: exaggeration

Frenchman: bollox talk (We all know the best cheese is from the local farm with no stamp)
ski holidays
Rubbish feature indeed. Perfectly summed up, Dwarf Vader.
latest report
I wonder how many British skiers actually bother with the ski hosting anyway?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, must admit I really enjoyed skiing with the young Mark Warner host in St Anton, when I bailed out of my Snoworks course last January. He was exceptionally considerate, despite his extreme youth. We covered loads of mileage and everyone enjoyed it I think.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, if it's just me and OH on holiday, we go with the host once, maybe twice in the week, if there is hosting. It's something to do and you don't have to stay all day if the pace/people don't agree.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
I wonder how many British skiers actually bother with the ski hosting anyway?

Lots more than you think. Before I did it I thought there would be no one much, but it surprised me. Busy weeks for our chalets were over 50% for most of the week.
latest report
I was half listening to it. Was the court hearing date mentioned?
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, I don't think so.
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
when I bailed out of my Snoworks course last January.

Sorry for being nosey but why? (Have considered them for a course for me.)
ski holidays
maggi, I realised I was ill when I got out there. Sad Probably not v sensible to go on skiing at all, but luckily survived to tell the tale! Very Happy
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader, we've only done two chalet holidays, and hosting wasn't available on one of them due to an injured host and it being end of season. Never really considered it to be an essential.
latest report
Pedantica, ah, sorry. Wondered if it was the course, (although I've heard really good things about Snoworks).
snow report
Dwarf Vader wrote:
miranda wrote:
Dwarf Vader wrote:

Rubbish feature.

So it is summed up as:

British man: exaggeration

Frenchman: bollox talk (We all know the best cheese is from the local farm with no stamp)

The exaggeration was Miranda's.
ski holidays
maggi, no problem. I expect the course would have been fine, but it was an off-piste one and I really wasn't up to messing about in deep snow.

Hells Bells, who needs a chalet host when you've got Moriarty? wink
ski holidays
laundryman,
Quote:

The exaggeration was Miranda's.

Scarcely
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy