Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCGB reps

Poster: A snowHead
Does anybody know why SCGB reps were discontinued in St. Anton. There always used to be one there in winter. Strange for such a big and popular resort not to have reps from the Ski Club. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There was a row with the authorities a while ago. I don't know the chapter and verse and who was the main protagonist (ski school or guides) but they were effectively banned.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That was a very long time ago, and the Resort is getting even more restrictive now with the court case trying to ban TOs having ski hosts there.
The ski club of GB depends on resorts partly subsidising their reps with accommodation and lift passes. If the Resort feels they are taking employment from locals (rather than bringing members to the resort) the Ski Cub cannot operate there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are called leaders not reps now. But no St Anton presence for a long while as mentioned above.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
George Jones, You're real name's not david by any chance ?

http://youtube.com/v/I3fF91jGdPM
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am not aware of any TO (Tour Operator) using their own ski hosts independently in St Anton. One TO has to pay for an Arlberg Ski Instructor to accompany their ski host and that's why they only provide one day of ski hosting in St Anton.

The issue of TO ski hosts and the official ski schools is I believe again being tested through the legal system in one of the big French ski resorts.

thegnomewithnoname,

I love the vid. David is still reading our postings here, but he's probably banned from the SC AGM on the 22nd. He will probably be handing out petitions outside of the club house.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
welshflyer,
Quote:

I am not aware of any TO (Tour Operator) using their own ski hosts independently in St Anton

I skied with Mark Warner hosts in January, without any ski instructor being present. Some sort of agreement was reached, allegedly, but they didn't host every day in the way in which they used to do.

Snoworks, on the other hand, do have to employ a local instructor, to be able to run their courses, I believe.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
welshflyer wrote:
I am not aware of any TO (Tour Operator) using their own ski hosts independently in St Anton. One TO has to pay for an Arlberg Ski Instructor to accompany their ski host and that's why they only provide one day of ski hosting in St Anton.

The issue of TO ski hosts and the official ski schools is I believe again being tested through the legal system in one of the big French ski resorts.

Yes, sorry, you are right - it wasn't St Anton. (But on normal form it should have been wink )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thegnomewithnoname wrote:
George Jones, You're real name's not david by any chance ?

http://youtube.com/v/ehJNw-T3gpo

or

http://youtube.com/v/mmRUV43zhTs

You decide
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pedantica,

Were you in the MW Rosanna or Schweizerhof last January?

I was in the Schweizerhof at the same time as Phil Anderson? & family (Mr Snoworks) were staying there. I'll be staying there again this coming mid January.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
welshflyer, I was in the Rosanna, but it was the week before Phil Smith and his family arrived in St Anton.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Isn't the EU supposed to stop this kind of anti-competitive stuff?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
finestgreen, er yes but since when has that stopped the French/Germans/Austrians/Spanish etc from doing what they want, the only people who play by th erules are the British it seems and we get screwed over repeatedly because of it, although in this case so it seems is everyone else
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidthornton, The rep/leader was withdrawn from St Anton at the request of the head of the Ski School who also demanded that SCGB use a guide from the Ski School at least 3 times a week, if the members who turned up did not want a guide for that day or as happened several times, no guide was available, the rep/leader was not allowed to lead the group. This was deemed unacceptable treatment of club members and SCGB to be was quite happy to withdraw the rep/leader.

At the time, the head of the Arlberg Ski School was second in command at the tourist office and also head of the Austrian Ski Instructors Association, and as such is/was the main instigator of the rules that restrict non Austrian qualified people leading in Austria. Strangely however SCGB put a rep/leader in St Anton who had qualified and worked in Austria as an instructor, but this made no difference to the head of the Arlberg Ski School.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

finestgreen, er yes but since when has that stopped the French/Germans/Austrians/Spanish etc from doing what they want, the only people who play by th erules are the British it seems and we get screwed over repeatedly because of it, although in this case so it seems is everyone else

One of the best ever!
ski holidays
Dypcdiver wrote:
Strangely however SCGB put a rep/leader in St Anton who had qualified and worked in Austria as an instructor, but this made no difference to the head of the Arlberg Ski School.
Strange - don't they allow any independent Austrian ski instructors in the Arlberg?
ski holidays
Not "they", it is him, head of the Ski School.
ski holidays
Thanks for the info. Being an ex-SCGB member I was curious as I had, over the years, skied occasionally with several SCGB reps/guides in St. Anton, including a real "old geezer", a "hot shot salesman" and a "prima donna"!! The "hot shot salesman" was rumoured to have doubled ski club membership during his tenure in St. Anton. Laughing
ski holidays
On a tenuous note I'm organising a group going to St Anton next week (6th) and was originally told that 'Guiding' was going to be part of our chalet package, i.e. FREE - but now learn that it doesnt happen anymore ... hey ho. my luck...
Nevertheless Im still trying to organise an afternoons guiding for about 8 of us we are only looking for someone to show us the way around a few blues and maybe the non-life-threatening reds , certainly not interested in straying off piste but the guide that we have been put in touch with (presumably connected with Arlberg ski school) seems very pricey.
Any ideas
snow report
Thirsty,

St Anton isn't that big a resort as far as piste skiing is concerned. If the visibility is OK you won't have any problems following the piste map.

One big tip for you. When you go to ski Zurs and Lech (same lift pass as St Anton) with 8 people take a "taxi" to Zurs from St Anton. Ski the Weisse Rung (White Circle) from Zurs to Lech and back to Zurs and when you finish in Zurs get a taxi back to St Anton. This is almost as cheap as paying for the public buses and you're not freezing to death waiting for and trying to fight your way onto the buses. Others will tell you to use the free blue post buses, but these are small, crowded and you need to know where the connections are.

I will be in St Anton from the 13th of Jan. I am half thinking of going for the week before as well, if I do I may contact you.
snow report
welshflyer wrote:
Thirsty,

St Anton isn't that big a resort as far as piste skiing is concerned. If the visibility is OK you won't have any problems following the piste map.

One big tip for you. When you go to ski Zurs and Lech (same lift pass as St Anton) with 8 people take a "taxi" to Zurs from St Anton. Ski the Weisse Rung (White Circle) from Zurs to Lech and back to Zurs and when you finish in Zurs get a taxi back to St Anton. This is almost as cheap as paying for the public buses and you're not freezing to death waiting for and trying to fight your way onto the buses. Others will tell you to use the free blue post buses, but these are small, crowded and you need to know where the connections are.

I will be in St Anton from the 13th of Jan. I am half thinking of going for the week before as well, if I do I may contact you.
Nice one!
I'll do a bit of research on the Zurs - Lech connections.
snow report
I can endorse the taxi suggestion. The free buses can get absolutely jammed and a shared taxi is far more relaxing at the end of a day's skiing.
snow conditions
Alpe Rauz at the bottom of blue 17 is the main bottleneck, as welshflyer, richjp point out taxis are the best advice for a group. Alpe Rauz is where many skiers from St Anton ski to for the Lech skibus, it's where the Zurs/Lech skibus terminates and returns to Zurs/Lech. On a sunny morning at Alpe Rauz there can be masses waiting at the roadside for a bus, can be mayhem. Set aside a full day for your Zurs/Lech tour if your group is mixed ability. There is a short timed track alongside one of the pistes above Lech, test your schussing. Have fun, it's a good day out. Very Happy
latest report
Thanks very much chaps.
snow report
Thirsty,

The White Ring (Die Weisse Ring). You can only ski this route in a Clockwise Direction. With your group take a taxi to Zurs:-

Start in Zurs from either Zursersee or Seekopf Chairlifts. These 2 chairs go to the same place.

Off these chairlifts ski to the right and down to the Madloch Chairlift, go up this chairlift.

Ski Ski route 33 all the way to Zug (Not Lech), there is a left fork in the route that you need to take in order not to end up in Lech. 33 is a very long run it will be well skied albeit it is a patrolled ski route not a piste.

In Zug take the old slow 2 man chairlift up to the Balmalpe Restaurant.

Ski blue piste 34 all the way through Oberalech down to Lech.

Walk across the main street in Lech to the Rufikopf I or II cable cars and take this up the mountain.

From the top of the Rufikopf ski red run 38a.

Take the Schuttboden tow up.

Ski blue run 38a down to the Trippalp 6 man chair lift. Go up this lift.

Ski red run 3a/ blue run 3 back to the start.

The record for this run is I believe is less than 25 minutes held by 1992 Olympic Downhill champion Patrick Ortlieb whose family owns the Montana Hotel in Oberlech.

For us mortals take your time and enjoy the fantastic scenery and have a lovely lunch in Oberlech.

PS. One of my favourite piste runs is Red 10 in Zurs, at the start of the described route.
snow conditions
Welshflyer. Thanks for that , as a matter of trawling I found this page:-
http://www.derweissering.at/english/index.html

which if you click on the button 'The Course' on the bottom menu bar, it produces a beautiful little graphic of the course, and you've just joined up some of the dots for us. Cheers.
snow report
welshflyer wrote:
The record for this run is I believe is less than 25 minutes held by 1992 Olympic Downhill champion Patrick Ortlieb whose family owns the Montana Hotel in Oberlech.
I think you might be mistaken - I don't think 25 mins would be enough to do the lifts now and they'd have been somewhat slower in 1992.
The Der Weisse Ring, Das Rennen (race site) gives the fastest time as, a still relatively super-human, 44m35s07, the winner in 2006.
snow report
Crikey, it's rather a long haul, isn't it? I did that last January, about 10 days before I was forbidden all strenuous exercise pending a heart op. Shocked I do remember getting a tad knackered on the poling sections. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin,

You're correct not even Patrick Ortlieb would do the Weisse Ring in under 25 minutes.

Besides he would probably stop for lunch at his family hotel as I will in a couple of weeks' time.
latest report
welshflyer, Thanks for your helpful description of Der Weisse Ring circuit. I and a couple of other Snowheads staying in St Anton this week have just done it today, an excellent way of celebrating New Year's Day!! Very Happy
latest report
Alastair Pink, I hope that was accompanied with Weissbier. wink
snow report
bump
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy