Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whitedot Skis....

Poster: A snowHead
I have been very fortunate to be offered an Industry Pro Deal with Whitedot Skis...which i'm very happy about, as i've never had the chance to ride them before, and have heard nothing but great things about them.

Does anyone else on here use them and what have been your findings?

I had a set of Preachers turn up yesterday, and i must say, everything about the company has impressed me so far. From setting up the deal and negotiating, to the actual quality of the product itself.

They have been absolutely first class...

They have an iniative going at the moment called the 'Dots Dozen'...giving a massive discount on their products for 12 lucky people. Maybe worth a look if you're in the market for some All Mountain Skis.

Can be found here... http://whitedotskis.com/

Really looking forward to giving these a blast all over the mountains...

Here's a pic of the beauties...next to some 'normal' skis to give comparison in size.

Would really be interested in your experiences on them... How they ride and how you got the best out of them.

Cheers in anticipation.... Cool

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Industry Pro Deal

Whats one of those? And why............are you a pro? If so it seems a tad wierd that you know so little about them, when just about everyone on SH rates them. I have 191 Redeemers and they rip...............get out on them and give them a bash is my best advice.

You'll certainly find them different to the other ones in your quiver based on thos photos. Is this your first venture off piste, the others are on piste carver/ race skis aren't they wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markymark29 wrote:
get out on them and give them a bash is my best advice.

Mind and put bindings on first though wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I work as a Ski Instructor and Guide.

Lots of Ski companies offer people who work in the Industry, Pro Deals, where you are able to purchase your tools for the trade at a greatly reduced price.

For example this year if you are CSIA qualified, you can get 'Pro Deals' through Blizzard, Tecnica,Alpina, Rossignol, Dynastar etc,etc...just to name a few.

I only know what i've heard about them through other skiers who own them, and what i've read on the internet.

All good tbh...that's why i went for them.

I've never had the opportunity to try them out before, but needed some big all mountain skis for my work this year.

I won a place originally as one of the 'Dots Dozen' but after they read my resume, they offered me a pro deal instead. Cool

I try to ski everyday 'offpiste' and last year i was using various 'All Mountain' Skis... Scott, Salomon, K2 and Kastle.

They were all Test skis. The reason being I am mainly Race Orientated and just took two pairs of skis out with me to use.

A slalom set that i used mainly to teach on and race occasionally. The other GS skis for Racing only.

3 pairs would cost a fortune to transport. But this year i'm going to bite the bullet and pay the extra for the priveledge.

I'm really looking forward to giving them a bash.

I considered the Redeemers...but I'm under the impression the Preachers are good for edge hold on piste as well. That's what i've been told anyway. Also from what i've read, the Preachers prefer a skier to lean forward and push them...which will suit my racing style more.

Thanks for the positive post...encouraging Very Happy

This year I wanted to buy some to use.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 10-10-12 15:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly, Ha! Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shoogly wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:
get out on them and give them a bash is my best advice.

Mind and put bindings on first though wink

Shocked Laughing I will...I got the Tyrolia Peak 18 X's in Camo... Reckon they'll go sweet with them Razz
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Where you based Spud?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm in the UK.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry, where do you instruct and guide?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spud, Nice, but hey maybe you have got the Preachers the wrong way round for this seasons design Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was in Canada last year.

I've yet to decide where i'm going to go this year. Canada again or Japan, France are other options.

What about yourself?

Do you use Whitedots?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski wrote:
spud, Nice, but hey maybe you have got the Preachers the wrong way round for this seasons design Puzzled

Puzzled You've lost me!!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The logo on the tips line up to create a left and right ski, in the picture your white tips do not line up, therefore left and right ski Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the graphics spud, the graphics. you need to line the wee bits of white up so as they blend into each other. swap the skis round.

They're designed to be skied that way wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spud,
I have both Preachers and Redeemers (and hopefully this year will be adding a few more to the collection Smile).
They are as you'd expect, very different.
The Preachers are a fairly conventional ski with a giant shovel and a fair amount of shape. They sort of ski like a fat cheater GS ski, but obviously not quite as sharp edge to edge. They are softish (particularly if you're used to sking race skis!) but still manage to be stable at speed (tested that!). Where I find they work best is in variable snow conditions, particularly crusty snow which becomes a whole lot easier
One thing I did do almost straight away after half scaring myself to death skiing a fairly routine steep on them the first time out, was to detune the tips and tails a bit (don't tell spyderjon! wink) as they were too grabby for my liking. After doing that went back and did it again - worked just fine!

Redeemers are completely different, and yes, as you note, there is a slight technique adjust required. They are a big, bad-ass, powder ski, however the rocker and shape (not quite in the conventional shape way) makes them super maneouverable and predictable. On harder stuff (if you have to ski that wink) they work like short skis so actually have pretty decent edge grip - obviously not like a race ski, though in fact I did ski a GS course with them; this highlighted the slight downside in the raised tips and tails so as you'd expect make the ski a little unstable at speed on hardpack, but then again I don't really like skiing my race skis in powder/trees/steeps snowHead

Personally I'm not a super big fan of lots of sidecut, so out of preference I'd ski on the Redeemers all the time - fortunately the snow here last year allowed that! (edit. from your location last year guess you know that!)
Not trying to ma ke you wish you'd gone for the Redeemers, though of course you should get some of those as well wink The Preacher is a good ski, but I really like my Redeemers

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 10-10-12 15:58; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
spud wrote:
I was in Canada last year.

I've yet to decide where i'm going to go this year. Canada again or Japan, France are other options.

What about yourself?

Do you use Whitedots?

Heading out to Hokkaido next month for my 6th winter in and around the Niseko Resort Area.

Trained at Kicking Horse.

Who did you instruct and guide for in Canada?

The Whitedots look great and heard nothing but good about them.

But they're a bit big for my liking. Prefer an all-mountain ski with a waist width < 86 mm
latest report
[quote]
but I _really_ like my Redeemers

+1. Agree entirely with your comments, I cant stop laughing with them on, just such fun. Toofy Grin
snow report
Had some preachers last year and found them fantastic, obviously best in powder, can be hard on the knees on a hard piste;)
snow conditions
livetoski, and shoogly, Excellent...good spot Laughing
Razz
stuarth, andjbob, Markymark29, Cheers guys, really appreciate the time and trouble. I just hope i have as much fun as you guys. Thanks so much for the feedback. Just wanna get out their now... snowHead

Mike Pow, PM sent Cool
snow report
I have the Whitedot Ones in a 173.

Pretty good all-rounder, very happily ski off piste in anything I've thrown at them, and lots of fun in the park and going switch (I use schizo bindings for this sort of thing). OK on piste but nothing more as they are not amazing carvers, but far happier to slide around. Relatively soft, and pretty forgiving. Utterly horrid on tough hardpack or ice - simply too chattery and unstable. The problem with the latter is that the edge design (no bevel - just straight sandwiching of the laminate ski and steel edge) means that giving them anything less than a 90 degree angle isn't easy (IMHO) - and so they can be a little unstable at speed on hardpack, given their softness and lightness.

I supplement mine with some old, heavy Atomic piste things for icy days!

Overall, a very good ski, comparable to something like a Line Prophet, but definitely a compromise in most situations. As a one quiver ski, a great choice - with the caveat that they really don't like the ice unless edge tuned to an inch of their life - something which the edge design actually makes tricky.

This isn't a negative review - I love these skis and will ride them until they die, and most probably replace them with another pair. I suspect the Preacher is less compromised, being more designed as a poweder/off-piste beast.

One thing about the WD Ones - beautiful design, and stunning build quality, and awesome service from White Dot; excellent people to deal with, really excellent. Skis look and feel like they cost a lot more than they do, and the company treats you as if you're paying a lot more - reasons they have a customer for life here.
ski holidays
For Preachers get forward and ski them hard.

Redeemers try not to have too much fun - it upsets the other shmoos. Also make sure you get them out in corn season you'll still be skiing at 4pm when everyone else has jacked in at 1.
ski holidays
Hi spud! I also have the Preachers! Good choice! I never ever use my smaller ski's anymore. Powder, fiddling around with my kids on blue runs and even a carve training on hard pack: all on Preachers and it went all really good. As jbob said: you need to have your leg muscles in good form or you'll hurt your knees as it just takes more effortto get them on their edges. When hiking backcountry: they are not too heavy, especially considering the huge amount of ski you are carrying...

I am really happy with them and for me it is the perfect 1 ski quiver for all circumstances.
ski holidays
Harry Flashman wrote:
.....Utterly horrid on tough hardpack or ice - simply too chattery and unstable. The problem with the latter is that the edge design (no bevel - just straight sandwiching of the laminate ski and steel edge) means that giving them anything less than a 90 degree angle isn't easy.....

Whitedot's were originally spec'd to have a 3 degree side edge (as per the label on the ski) but the production was shipped by the factory with a 1 - which is a shame as their build quality in all other respects is excellent.

However it's really easy sort them for great edge hold on hardpack. If you DIY tune then a quick trim back of the sidewall & reset the side edge angle to 3 dgrees (=87) & you're good to go or take them to a decent shop ( wink ) & get 'em to do it for you.
snow conditions
spud, glad you're impressed with your new skis, hope you'll love them.

Thanks to everyone who's been so nice to us above (probably can't last wink so we'll enjoy it while it does Embarassed )

Regarding applying for Dots Dozen like spud mentions in the OP I'm afraid that if you are in the UK you're out of luck. With the increased global reach of the company we decided on a regional spread for the places this year and the UK's were filled within minutes of the opening. Anyone from further afield please still fire in an application and we'll look if your region is full.

If you want to grab a pair of Whitedots in the UK this year then we have expanded our retailers, we can supply a full list, but fellow snowHeads spyderjon & livetoski who've both posted above spring straight to mind.

We'll be at the Metro to answer any questions and point interested folk in the right direction. Drop by if you come to the show (there will be a pair to give away to one lucky visitor).

Hope this isn't spam, don't think it counts, certainly isn't meant to be, oh the angst!

snowHead
snow conditions
midgetbiker, I tried to find some in Paradiski and there were none, and never really noticed any in use, my local ski shop in La Plagne had heard of them but that's all Confused
Hopefully your global reach and regional spread will soon sort this out Very Happy
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, hopefully so, we only signed a French distributor relatively recently. Last season was their first, but things look very positive with a doubling of numbers for the coming season.

I think if every region can consistently double every year for the foreseeable future we can actually attain total global domination' and then we can all retire to our secret island base to stroke white cats and chuckle maniacally.
latest report
I think me and spud must have been the lucky two from the UK. Just ordered my Preachers yesterday cannot wait for them to arrive! How long did yours take to come once purchased spud
snow report
Boredsurfing, I'm pretty sure we are in Vieux Campeur this season, hopefully that will help with awareness.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
midgetbiker, Is that the one behind the furniture shop in Albertville? I didn't realise they sold ski's Shocked
latest report
Boredsurfing, don't be fooled by the name

They have a fantastic choice of skis and associated kit so very dangerous to visit with a credit card in hand.........
snow report
Roger C, yes, that's the shop I mean, there's about 40-50 of them around France, one of which may be behind the furniture shop in Albertville, but then I'm (fairly) sure Boredsurfing is just winding me up rolling eyes
latest report
Actually if you look at the Google street view of the Albertville Au Vieux Campeur then there is a Fly Meubles/Decoration across the road, so maybe not.
snow report
Re : demos - I skied some 179 Preachers out of Flaine Sport last Xmas - They seemed to hold a variety of the models, not sure their plans for the coming year. They are the Foret level , right on the Eastern end by the Grand Vans lift/bus drop.

My only comment - needed longer for me at 184 cm and 100 kg. (ps really wish ski reviews included height/weight/skill -at least 2 of those are gonna be correct!)
snow report
mishmash, I'ld have definately recommended a 189 Preacher for someone of your build. The length in itself would have suited you better, but also the flex pattern of the 189 suits a bigger or more aggressive skier too.
snow conditions
That's not a pop at Flaine Sport at all, it's great they supply demos and they simply can't carry every size and model, so best to carry the most popular size (which is the 179).
ski holidays
In other news - how do you feel about these guys - even got the teardrop shaped logo, when I saw them in teh slush & rubble catalogue I first thought you were doing a retailer exclusive

http://www.white-doctor.com/en/
latest report
midgetbiker wrote:
mishmash, I'ld have definately recommended a 189 Preacher for someone of your build. The length in itself would have suited you better, but also the flex pattern of the 189 suits a bigger or more aggressive skier too.

Sure , I picked them out , they didn't big them up to me - only it had just snowed(again..) and I was getting buried on my 189 Scott Crusades. Lesson learnt : don't be afraid of going longer/larger.
ski holidays
fatbob, Saw that too, surprised me that hey can have such a close name and logo to WD.

midgetbiker, mrs MM29 very happy with her quiver and ready to hit the pow.......carbons for her OH next season! wink
latest report
Boredsurfing, I'm thought I was the only person skiing on Whitedots in La Plagne (maybe Paradiski?) last season but it turns out they started stocking them in a shop in Plagne Centre. I can't remember the name but it's the small shop with a lot of funky kit beside Iglu Iglu and the local produce shop. I saw a pair of Redeemers out in the fresh snow we had in April and think it was a test pair from there.
snow report
fatbob, yes we have noticed this. They used to be Ride Doctor. Now they have a teardrop logo, a new (to them) name and are pushing out of their roots in France. I don't know, I guess we start to get worried when they go for the shorter: White Doc. Still they say imitation is.............
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy