Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski advice...off piste bias

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

looking for some advice and guidance on a new pair of skis.

I have skied on salomon equipe SC 164's for the last 4 years but am now starting to want to move my skiing away from the pistes.
I am perfectly happy with the salomons' for a dedicated piste ski but am looking to buy something with more of an off piste bias to try and progress that aspect of my skiing (very little proper off piste experience) although they would be primarily an off piste ski I don't think my level of off piste would currently warrant a full blown fatty! as I am not going to be skiing off piste all day all week but by the same token have the salomons for dedicated on piste fun.....

hope that gives you an idea of what I am looking for.

I would say my skiing is at a mid advanced level on piste (can comfortably ski most things in resort) but just never had the proper experience off piste but starting to find piste skiing a little boring!

I'm 6'0" 95kg and 22yrs old.

Looking for suggestions on what ski and length combo would be best, been looking at K2 aftershocks, salomon rocker 2 and the like.

thanks in advance guys and girls

Matt
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
keep the equipes and get something in the 100mm area.

go for something in low-mid 180s as well, longer if twin tip.

Having had a pair of K2 Xplorer (fore-runner to Aftershocks), I think you'll probably find them too close to a piste ski in terms of performance/stiffness etc.

I'd go wider and longer.

What's the budget and do you want new or used?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yea thats the plan to keep to equipe's as my piste ski allowing me to get something thats more at home in off piste rather than a jack of all master of FA scenario.

Would 100mm waist width still ok for piste stuff as like I said wont be doing solely off piste until I am more confident with it.

havent thought of budget really but basically would rather buy good and buy once like I did with the equipe's
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been skiing the last 3 seasons on K2 Hardsides for everything. They're 98mm in the waist and have two sheets of metal in them so are more than useable when the snow is firm.

I also have Line Prophet 98s that will do me as my do everything ski, especially when I don't plan on skinning to get anywhere.

There's loads of skis out there that fit your specs. One worth a look if you're not set on going up to that width is the Scott Reverse.

At 184 length, it's 89 in the waist. Also has rocker and a couple sheets of titanium in there to keep it nice and stiff, if damp, for still being useable on the firmer snow. Heard very good things about this ski and will probably try it out myself.

As before though, you have tonnes of options.

Personally, if I had a pair of piste skis already, I'd be tempted to go even wider and get a pair of these for the fun factor alone! http://lineskis.com/skis/sir-francis-bacon-1213
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly, +1 for Bacons's or for something less playful maybe the K2 Sidestash
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Would you recommend the K2 hardside or the prophet? any pros/cons between the two as they both seem similar (and reasonable) prices
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take a look at the new Scott Punishers - yet to ski them, but I think they'll be much more competent when it matters but just as user friendly as the old ones. 108mm underfoot I think, obv won't be as good onpiste as your skinny sticks, but should still be fun rather than just 'manageable.'

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 1-11-12 19:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hardside is a great ski. would also do for if you want to add skins in future. It's a full sidewall construction so pretty stiff along its length. They are good in most conditions and that includes firmer snow off piste. They are stiff, but not too stiff and are not the most demanding to ski. The rocker is great, not too much, and the ski is very good for starting to venture further afield. Probably a bit heavy if you ever get into touring, but you've not mentioned that.

The prophet is similar sized, but has only one sheet of metal in it and not as much area as the hardside. It's more lively, fun and is twin tip for me learning to ride switch properly (that's my next goal). It's also a bit more forgiving than the hardside. I had no problem skiing most places on the hardsides that it made sense to get something similarly sized as a fun option.

Having said that, I got them cheap. If I was paying full whack, I'd get the Bacons instead. more pop Very Happy

That's just me though, others will have other opinions and give you other options. White Dot will be recommended soon Smile

Rossignol S3 is an option that's tried and tested, as is the Blizzard Bonafide.... see where this is going Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the info guys, had a quick nip down to xscape just before to see what was on offer and the white dot's came highly reccomended, going to go back in a few weeks when they have a bigger range of demo skis and have a play about see what suits.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you can make it one of the snowdomes try and get to the Ellis Brigham Big ski over the next few weeks, plenty of chance to try loads of skis that might fit the bill. http://www.ellis-brigham.com/advice-inspiration/blogs/the-big-ski-demo-event/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
that sounds like it will be perfect! thanks for the heads up on it
Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep, off the top of my head last year I tried out Kung Fujas, Line Prophets and Movement Jams that might fit the bill for you, I ended up getting some Storm skis (well 2 sets Rage and Cyclone, rather too good to miss deals!) www.stormskis.com . The guy who runs it is really helpful if you get in touch and really knows his stuff.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 for Movement Jams (136-85-117)

I'm 6' 2" (188cm) and 95kg
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Of the ones I tested the Jams were my favourites, not quite sure why but they had me grinning like a Cheshire cat halfway down the first run! Would have bought a pair if I hadn't bought the Rages the week before!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Volkl Kendo or Mantra (depending how far off you want to go).

Both very nice skis...
snow report
+1 for the Prophet 98
ski holidays
thanks for all the advice, think i will be going for some line prophet 98's in 179cm form. Just need to shop around for the best deal now!
snow report
mattdebbage, can you test before you buy?
snow conditions
Ellis-Brigham have their ski test in a few weeks so will hold off til then to try a few skis but sadly don't think they stock the prophet just the bacon from line
ski holidays
keep in mind that this years prophet 98 is exactly the same as last years, just a different graphic.

Test it and if you like it, buy last years model.

http://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/line-prophet-98-skis-2012
snow report
shoogly wrote:
keep in mind that this years prophet 98 is exactly the same as last years, just a different graphic.

Test it and if you like it, buy last years model.

http://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/line-prophet-98-skis-2012

yep thats was the plan I had, after all with any luck the powder will be deep enough not to see the graphics wink
snow report
Another vote for Prophet 98's or K2 Kung Fujas, still some of last years knocking around at discounted prices.
ski holidays
Just had another couple of hours on my P98s and was reminded how much fun they are Very Happy

For a ski at 98mm underfoot, they are incredibly easy to turn, even at slow speed.
snow report
so looks like everywhere has sold out of the 2011/12 model prophets....come on own up who bought them all! so this means id have to buy the new model when the time comes and this puts it very close in price to the sir francis bacon's, what would people recommend? anybody skied on both and care to offer a comparison, pros cons etc
latest report
Another vote fir the Kung Fujas, fantastic in the deep and still great fun on piste in everything but the most icy conditions
snow conditions
So had booked into the big ski test today at ellis brigham so got a chance to try all the skis I was looking at. in order I skied:

Armada TST 183cm
Armada JJ 185cm
Line SFB 177cm
Scott punisher 189cm
Rosignol S7 178cm
Blizzard bonafide 180cm
Whitedot preacher 179cm
Scott punisher 183cm
volkl mantra 184cm

The TST was a revelation, this was the first time I had skied on anything 100mm+ underfoot and all of my preconceptions about them were smashed by this ski. You didn't seem to lose anything in the way of edge grip or turning ability something I was a little worried about but wrongly so it seems!

I was persuaded to have a go on the JJ's next even to see the difference the tail rocker made. They were really nice very nimble for such a big ski but didn't quite have the turn and go ability of the TST.

The SFB's were back in by this point and I was keen to try them to confirm in my head the imminent purchase....slightly disappointed by them to be honest, they felt very very short coming from the armada's, the mid mounting of the Lines seemed to accentuate that (sadly they didnt have any 186cm).

Had a few runs on the Punisher next and what a ski! the rep described them as a 'bulldozer' that will ski through anything and that sums them up, very light and agile and just smash through everything had a few mini moguls by this point, and i mean very mini but gave a bit of an idea non the less.

The rossignol was very similar to the Punisher but ALOT heavier. The blizzard bonafide was great could really get some power out of turns with it, if I was looking for one ski to do it all this would be up there.

Preachers were a last minute impulse but wow they do everything so chuckable and just seem brilliant at whatever you ask of them.

this spurred me on to try the punisher in 183 in a last ditch attempt to save my bank balance! And that was certainly a good decision, They seemed a fair bit more agile than their bigger brothers and the rep informed me there is very little loss of off piste ability with loosing the 6cm.

Mantras were great, skied like the blizzards on steroids and again had I been looking for a do all ski this would be up there.

Overall its looking like the Scott Punishers in 183 will fit the bill perfectly, the whitedot's are tempting but will be around £200 more after bindings.

Hopefully that gives people that may be thinking of the same group of skis a bit of an idea what they are like, I am no expert just my opinions on the ones I tried.

Matt
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy